Can anyone help me track down this issue? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Can anyone help me track down this issue?

starhammer
01-04-2005, 05:59 PM
I am looking for info (Issue numbers would be cool, images of the covers would be best) on the infamous pic of Roadblock that Liefeld plagiarized for his pic of Cable on X-Force a few years back. I am trying to settle a bet with a friend but I am unable to find pics of these issues after a good deal of searching. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Phil Kost
01-04-2005, 06:13 PM
I am not familiar with the pic you are talking about. Can you show us a scan of the Cable pic, and maybe between everyone here we can dig up the Roadblock pic.

starhammer
01-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. I wish I could have some more info for you. All I remember is that Leifeld's pic is of Cable standing, holding an m-60 at his hip and it was a carbon copy of an old G.I. Joe Roadblock pic. I thought it originally came from a cover but I searched through the cover image gallery here on the site and didn't see it. I have the X-Force issue somehwere still, so I will look for it and post a scan to try to jog some memories. Thanks.

rea1180
01-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Off the top of my head, the post cobra civil war comes to mind. Issue 76 or so I think has him with his gun on a HISS tank with Flint. Also a few issues later he is on a cover with Lola.

FireChief420
01-06-2005, 01:18 AM
Is this the picture of Cable you are referring to?
http://www.x-worldcomics.com/YourVirtualStore/images/headers/cableandnewmutantsback.JPG

starhammer
01-06-2005, 01:45 PM
FireChief, you nailed it. That's the one. And I think I finally remember where I saw the side by side comparison, I think it was in a Marvel Year in Review Magazine from the early nineties. As if Liefeld didn't have enough to be ashamed of, this stunt has to be the topper. I should have known something was up with this pic when I noticed Cable didn't have his traditional gigantic dual barelled laser beam which still somehow implemented spent shell casings, but instead, an authentic firearm. Now that I know where this pic is from, should be much easier for me to track down the Roadblock pic. Thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated.

sfzdk
01-06-2005, 02:09 PM
The Roadblock picture your're looking for is on the inside of the backcover in Yearbook #2. (Actually there's also a quite similar looking Roadblock on page four in #69 of the regular run, tought it was that one you were looking for at first)

FireChief420
01-07-2005, 06:05 AM
Here is the original picture from Yearbook #2:
http://www.geocities.com/firechief420/m157_66.jpg

Phil Kost
01-07-2005, 07:42 AM
WOW! Thanks for posting those two images. I had seen those two pictures individually, but never looked at them next to each other. The resemblance is uncanny!

Anyone know who the artist was on the Roadblock picture?

seaneley
01-07-2005, 10:48 PM
The artist was Michael Golden...

...and if I remember right, the Cable "rip-off" picture was on the Trade paperback that covered the original run that introduced Cable into the X-Factor world (the one where all the teenage Mutants had needed a new leader)! I cannot remember that run, but it would involve the very first appearance of Cable. Hope that helps!

FireChief420
01-08-2005, 06:52 AM
My copy of the TPB covers New Mutants issues #86-94 sans #92.

miragearmy
01-08-2005, 09:22 AM
I was at a local comic shop days ago reading Rob Liefield's "Youngblood : GENESIS #1" by Arcade Comics, and for some panels of action scenes, the characters were actually weilding GIJoe/Cobra weapons.

Weapons seen in the issue:

Dodger's Rifle
SAW Viper Machine Gun
HEAT Viper Launcher

I've only seen issue #1 so far.

At least there's some use for Joe weapons as references in his comics. :)

Obiwanjacoby
01-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Liefeld's pretty notorious for this kind of thing.

There was a more high profile suit where he ripped off Captain America.

http://members.aol.com/chrisv82/america.htm

-PJ