Hasbro Figure Sculpture Sheets [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Hasbro Figure Sculpture Sheets

jabba the drunk
01-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Reading Dan's great thread about the portfolio of Hasbro concept artwork given out at last year's convention has gotten me psyched again about the preproduction behind the G.I. Joe toyline we all love.

Part of the production process is the sculpting of the action figures. I've shown some pics of these before, but figured it might be a cool time to show them again. Maybe some more will pop-up!

Following is a copy of the figure sculpture sheet used for the 1989 Dreadnok Gnawgahyde. The sheet shows his name at that stage as "Warthog". Pardon the not too good pics, but it's the best I can get with my low-end digital camera.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~phubner/Gnawgahyde%20Sculpture%20Sheet.jpg
http://www.frontiernet.net/~phubner/Gnawgahyde%20Sculpture%20Sheet%202.jpg

Next is the sculpture sheet for the 1992 Deep Six Version 3. Included is the sheet for his Killer Whale. And yes...this sheet definitely shows a whale, as opposed to the dolphin which it later became. There is also a ful sheet dedicated just to the small face mask piece. But, I didn't take pics of that. Lastly, is a copy of the Hasbro figuresource guide for this Deep Six. It lists all the names of the paints used in the figure, as well as shows the paint swatches. Some of the pics are blue, but that's just the lighting on that particular day. What's cool is that, at this stage, this Deep Six was going to be a new version of Torpedo. These were all from Larry Hama's collection.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~phubner/Deep_Six_V3_SculptorSheet.jpg
http://www.frontiernet.net/~phubner/Deep%20Six%20Whale.jpg
http://www.frontiernet.net/~phubner/Deep%20Six%20Figuresource.jpg

Lastly, these are older sculture sheet 8 1/2" x 11" copies for Destro V1 and Storm Shadow. These copies were on Ebay year or so ago, and I'm pretty sure a bunch of collector's picked them up. I think the seller was selling multiple photo copies of a bunch of the early year characters. So, there's no real way of telling what generation copy these are, but they are great parts of the action figure history anyway.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~phubner/Destro%20Stormshadow%20Scupltor%20Sheet.jpg

So....does anybody else have some sculpture sheets for any of the 3 3/4" toyline??? I'm KNOW there were other winners of the 8 1/2" x 11" copies. If you have some, or know of any other, definitely let us know. And if you can, please post some pics of these super-cool items!

-Peter

Obiwanjacoby
01-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Incredible stuff there, Pete! I'm speechless! As usual, I hope they make it to the archive.

-PJ

Tattoo Shane
01-12-2005, 07:32 AM
Always a pleasure to see this stuff Peter!

dmooretoys
01-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Awesome sheets Peter! I do know someone else that has some of these but he showed me the scans and asked that I not mention his name. I really want to do a website this year for the Joe paperwork and I hope I can acquire more of this type of paperwork. My problem is I don't have contacts in Hasbro and I have never been to the convention (I'm in the Army and can't get away) so unless these go on ebay I usually can't find them. I have found some really cool stuff but the owners won't sell them.

Dan

Xavieur@aol.com
01-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Yes, those are great. I have been lucky enough to get quite a few of these sheets and similar sheets for vehicle sets, from other collectors and a few Hasbro retirees, but yes, they are hard!

If you would ever even consider selling the ones you have, I'd love to talk with you about it.

jabba the drunk
01-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Yes, those are great. I have been lucky enough to get quite a few of these sheets and similar sheets for vehicle sets, from other collectors and a few Hasbro retirees, but yes, they are hard!

If you would ever even consider selling the ones you have, I'd love to talk with you about it.

Hey there, Dan! How's it going?

I like the sound of "quite a few", you lucky guy. Would you be able to let us know which sculptor sheets you have? Were you able to pick-up any of the ones that were on Ebay a few months ago, ala the Destro & Storm Shadow ones shown?

And being that you have wealth of Gijoe knowlege, which sheets do you recall seeing being in collections?

Your interest is noted, and if I do ever part with these I'll certainly consider you. But, I love these types of 'Joe items and don't envision parting with them any time soon.

-Peter

haydrian7
01-31-2005, 09:10 AM
Anyone have any leads on any of the original paintings used for packages. I've never seen any for sale.

Haydrian

Mark W. Bellomo
01-31-2005, 10:59 AM
I have a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE suprise for those of you who like Hasbro pre-production drawings and will be in attendance at the 'con this year in MN.

Hope to see you all there...

Cobra Big Cat Trainer circa 1988? F.L.A.S.H. Force ca. 1990? 'Nuff said.

;)

-- MWB

Mark W. Bellomo
01-31-2005, 11:05 AM
Here's two samples of the MANY pre-card artwork sketches I'll be bringing along...

-- MWB

Xavieur@aol.com
02-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Anyone have any leads on any of the original paintings used for packages. I've never seen any for sale.

Haydrian

Thats a very good question. I suspect that they are long gone, or else, Rudat took them...

Mark W. Bellomo
02-08-2005, 01:46 PM
I have VERY detailed info from VERY reliable sources that will be revealed via a powerpoint at the MN 'con (Sat. and Sun.) about the actual production process and what role design drawings actually had in the production of the figures.

-- MWB

tdutton17
02-08-2005, 08:07 PM
I think I saw that Gnagahyde sculpture sheet sold on ebay a long time ago. I thought it was neat, but didn't realize the significance of it. Now I wish I would of bought it. These kind of items are very interesting. I would love to get hold of some origanal artwork. Some of the older vehicles would be very neat!

Tattoo Shane
02-08-2005, 11:36 PM

Haydrian

I know that Hasbro still has a good lot of them in their possesion. In fact, they have a few framed up and hanging along the walls of their RI headquarters. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few out there in collectors hands (and i'd certainly pay quite a bit should some turn up) but in the meantime i'll just be happy with the conceptual/presentation paintings i have. ;)

Mark, sounds like there's some cool stuff planned for the Joe con that would be right up my alley...it's a shame i won't be able to attend...i wonder if i could get someone to tape it for me. :)

CGC
02-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Nice! I don't hink I better start looking for pics, though, my wants list is pretty long already, & if I get one, I'll end up looking for them all - probably impossible, & more than likely ridiculously expensive! :D