International names of Snake Eyes (and others) [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : International names of Snake Eyes (and others)

L'Ombrageux
01-22-2005, 02:24 PM
I read a thread recently talking about the swedish names of some joes and how they were different from the USA version. I never really dug up much info about the "international names" of Snake Eyes since I thought there was only here (in Quebec, Canada) and France that they changed the names of some Joes.

If you're from another country where they changed the name of some characters to fit a word in your own language, please post them in this thread (I'm particularly interested in Snake Eyes for my website, but I'm curious about other characters... and if you have proof of the name for Snake eyes like a scan of a filecard or comic, I'd appreciate to see it and possibly post it on my website if you want!).

Here we go, here in Quebec Canada, those Joes/Cobra were known as:

Snake Eyes = Zorro (the guy is dressed in black with a sword.. I guess they thought it would be a good idea to name him "Zorro"... )

Scarlett = Tigresse (feminine for tiger)

Mainframe = Chassis (a bad translation for "window frame"... the Quebec translators had no idea this guy was related to computers I guess...)

Beach head = Tête de pont (another incredibly bad translation, this means "Bridge head"... the translator mixed Bridge with Beach...

Shipwreck = Le Naufragé (means almost the same thing)

Storm Shadow = L'Ombrageux (Doesn't really mean anything except it could translate to something like "the guy who makes shadows")

Duke = Luc (Luc is a common name like Luke in English... what a ridiculous codename...)

Those are the few that I can think of on the top of my head, if there's more interest in this I can take the time to write down almost all characters I remember...

In France Snake eyes was known as "crotale" (a french word to designate a type of snake).

How about any other countries??

JeffreyKabal
01-22-2005, 04:17 PM
When our website goes online you get to see a full archive with all different names.

I'll give you the Snake-eyes this time.

Netherlands / Belgium:
USA v2 = Netherlands V1 = Called: Scherpzicht
USA v3 = Netherlands V2 = Called: Slange-Oog
Further versions are also called Slange-Oog

Belgium / France:
USA V2 = V1 = Called: Oeil de Serpent & Timber
USA V3 = V2 = Called: Crotale
Furhter Versions are also called Crotale

Other names can be viewed when the site goes online. But I'm sure you'll find out before we go online :)
But I refuse to give so many before we go online :)
We will show a list with names, filecard diffences like birhtplaces from every country in Europe.

L'Ombrageux
01-22-2005, 04:31 PM
USA v2 = Netherlands V1 = Called: Scherpzicht
USA v3 = Netherlands V2 = Called: Slange-Oog
Further versions are also called Slange-Oog

Great! What's this language exactly? Any idea what's the meaning of "Scherpzicht" and "Slange-Oog" ? Because right now it could be "siaojeguhxcmo" and it would mean the same thing to me, not much, hehehe...

Your website will only talk about the Belgium versions of the characters or any International version? Because like I said before, here in Quebec (French province of Canada), he was called "Zorro" (which doesn't mean anything except it's the same name as the masked man of Disney, I guess they didn't care much about copyrights back then...), here's his V2 Canadian Filecard that shows this:

http://snake-eyes.virtualogik.com/images/files_can1985peach.jpg

Recent versions of him dropped the codename Zorro (in fact, now the Joes in Quebec, Canada now all have the same codename as their USA version... copyright issues I guess..), here's the V17 Canadian Filecard that shows he's now the good old Snake Eyes even to us French Canadians:

http://snake-eyes.virtualogik.com/images/files_can2004vvv.jpg

Patrick A. Riley
01-22-2005, 06:46 PM
I once took a Scherpzicht in a Slange-Oog :D :p ;)

The 100% Argento Outback
01-23-2005, 08:39 AM
Snake eyes in Argentina and Brasil: Invasor or Cobra Invasor (and he is a bad guy), also an Argentina repaint as a bad robot is Cobra Mortal.

Blitzwingz
01-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Great! What's this language exactly? Any idea what's the meaning of "Scherpzicht" and "Slange-Oog" ? Because right now it could be "siaojeguhxcmo" and it would mean the same thing to me, not much, hehehe...

Your website will only talk about the Belgium versions of the characters or any International version?

The Language Jeffrey refers to is Dutch, and it's spoken in the Netherlands and a part of Belgium.
The exact translation of "Scherpzicht" is "sharp sighted" and "Slange-oog" means "Snake-Eye".

The website's main focus will be on the Dutch and Belgium releases, but also covers the rest of the European countries. The list of codename/civilian name-variations will cover all of the european countries.

I hope this clarifies your questions.

JeffreyKabal
01-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Blitz is 100% right!

I'm not entirely sure, but I think we first go online in Dutch, and then translate everything to english and french...that's gonna be a job that will take a lot of time!

EDIT: hmmm why is the word that's the opposite of heaven, turned into *'s??

I wanted to say: A "heaven" of a job.

if that word turned into *'s, what about heaven? :)

sinnister
01-23-2005, 01:18 PM

BAH...appreciate the mello yello that just got shot through my nose! Too funny!

Wasnt the action force version of Snake Eyes called Stalker?

Blitzwingz
01-23-2005, 01:36 PM

Not really. The Stalker you refer to was part of the Action Force line (which also was released here in Holland). The UK had a transitional phase in which the US style GI Joe logo was used, but still under the Action Force name. Holland and Belgium (and most other European countries) never knew this Transitional phase, and therefore nobedy connected the old Action Force toys with the new GI Joe toys.
When GI Joe was released here in '87 Snake Eyes was called Scherpzicht straightaway.

Cesspool
01-23-2005, 05:38 PM

The Snake Eyes mold was used and he was called Stalker but he was a different character.

JeffreyKabal
01-23-2005, 05:40 PM

I wonder how it would sound if an American would say this :)

Probably very weird hehe...It's always extremely funny when foreigners are trying to speak Dutch...almost nobody can say our ch and g.
It's sounds like a saw :P

BelgianGabber
01-23-2005, 05:42 PM
In French it was 'oeil de serpent' or 'eye of a snake' translated literaly.

Stormshadow in French -> Tonnère
Crimson Guard -> Guarde pourpre
Viper -> Langue de vipère

I can't recall any others from the top of my head as my mother tongue isn't French.

(In Belgium 6 million peops speak Dutch and 4 million speak French. Couple of thousands German making those our three official languages, as a side note :) )

JeffreyKabal
01-23-2005, 05:48 PM
aight one more then :)

Storm Shadow...has the same problems like the name of Snake-eyes

The first version is called

Bliksemschicht in the Netherlands = Lightning Bolt
and the second version
Storm Schaduw which means Storm Shadow

Skil
01-24-2005, 01:35 PM
In Mexico, i don't remember all the names they were given, but i guess almost everybody know about it...

Snake Eyes = Lobo Solitario (Lone Wolf)
Torch = Golpeador (Pouncher)
Breaker = Roger (Just a personal name...)
Airborne = Soga (Rope)
Storm Shadow = Sombra Blanca (White Shadow)

I'll check for the others...

Corredor X
01-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Snake Eyes v2 in Brazil is know as Cobra Comandante Negro (Cobra Black Commander) and he, like the name suggests, is a bad guy.

Hydro-Viper
02-10-2005, 11:39 PM
More names used in Mexico:

Mutt - Mastín
Grunt - Vagabundo (The box art was Footloose's but the figure was Grunt).

And some Cobras, Joes and vehicles from the Joe vs Cobra and Spy Troops series were translated literally.

jaguarxj
02-11-2005, 06:31 AM
The 1989 Snake Eyes (version 3) was called in Spanish "Ojos De Serpiente" if I'm not mistaken.

I have a word file with most names in English, Dutch, French & Spanish if you want it just LMK. German & Italian names are as far as I know the same as the US names.

L'Ombrageux
02-11-2005, 08:21 AM
I have a word file with most names in English, Dutch, French & Spanish if you want it just LMK.

Sure! You've got a PM!

L'Ombrageux
02-12-2005, 07:32 AM
Jaguarx just sent me a scan of the Belgium filecard of Snake-Eyes that I'll put up on my next (english) version of my Snake-eyes website:

Click to see the Belgium filecard of Snake-eyes (Oeil de serpent, Scherpzicht) (http://snake-eyes.virtualogik.com/files_v2_belgium.jpg)

Thanks Jaguarx!

Anyone else have scans of some of the international filecards of SE?