Dmooretoys avatar users (and others) please read and respond [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Dmooretoys avatar users (and others) please read and respond

dmooretoys
01-26-2005, 09:49 PM
First of all let me say I am glad I could help the members of this forum with my avatars. I needed an avatar several weeks ago and I couldn't find one so after I learned how to make one I decided to make them for others to use.

OK, a situation has come to my attention that I would like to resolve. My goal for this post is to get everyone's input and please if you reply to this thread let's keep it civil and I do not want specific users mentioned by name.

When I first posted my "Free Avatars for yojoe.com members" thread I only had 40 avatars so I asked everyone to post a reply to the thread saying which avatar they were going to use so we wouldn't have 50 members with the same avatar. Since then I have kept adding avatars and at my last count I now have made a total of 188 avatars. I plan to keep making more and I hope everyone who needs one can find what they are looking for. Please keep in mind that these images are not copyrighted by me and another user can simply make their own avatars from the same images--obviously I make them from cards, books, stickers, and other websites (with their permission).

Most people have replied to the thread when they chose their avatar but I have noticed that some have not and I know of at least one avatar that is being used by two different users, and this is creating a problem. Some users don't want other users to use the same avatar while others don't really mind, especially if it is a popular image of a popular character. Some people have contacted me specifically and asked me to make an avatar for them and not add it to the avatar page so others won't have the same avatar and I totally understand where they are coming from. One thing I haven't done yet is delete an avatar when a user selects it, and this is for mainly selfish reasons because I like to see the body of work I have done and I guess I like for others to see them all, too.

I need some imput from other users on these questions:

1) Do you want to be the only one using your avatar?

2) Should I delete an avatar from the folder when a user chooses it?

3) Do you think I should leave all of the avatars on the same page and ask users to specifically PM me if they want to be the only one to use an avatar?

One problem I can foresee if I continue doing this for a long period of time is not remembering which avatars I have already done as I periodically delete them after users select them.

Please, everyone's input would be appreciated but please be civil and don't mention names. Thanks!

Dan

sinnister
01-26-2005, 09:57 PM
I dont particularly mind...although I've not met too many people that like Grunt. If you dont want more than one person using them, I wouldnt delete them. I'd just move them to another place. Another photo album for instance. That way you can still see the work you did and it will also alleviate the problem of anyone else using the same avatar. You would also be able to easily see if you have already made it before incase you forgot. Another reason I think it's good to move them after someone picks them is someone looking through your avatars trying to find the one they want to use wont have to read the entire thread to find out if someone else has chosen it already.

Snake-eyes01
01-26-2005, 11:42 PM
I think wht you're doing is great! I say if someone complains about it they can make their own! If you want to avoid complaints I guess you could remove the ones that are used. Again, what you're doing is great & you're very kind!

danielmd06
01-26-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the outstanding avatars Dan! Like Sinnister, I don't particularly mind if my avatar is copied by others, and I think that he had a good idea, too. Why not just put used avatars in a special folder? You can still see what you've done and maybe it will keep those who wish to remain unique happy too.

You're doing an excellent favor for tons of people on the board, I for one really appreciate it.

gsmiley007
01-27-2005, 01:14 AM
Sorry, I forgot to email you.

I really dont mind if other people use the same avatar.

If everyone was to have one of their own, you'll be busy making avatars forever.

Many other boards have members using the same avatar.

whitedalek
01-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Keep up the good work, Dan!! Your scans rock. :D

dmooretoys
01-27-2005, 05:32 PM
OK, as per the advice received by responses to this thread I have edited my original post for my free avatars thread. I added a link to a new folder I created that has the avatars already being used in it. I also asked people to PM or email me if they want to use one of the "used" avatars and I will ask the person already using it if they mind. I hope that this will solve any potential problems that people might have in the future. I want people to be able to have access to all of the avatars because I am aware they can use them on other boards as well. Thanks for all of your input!

Dan

We Turn Away
01-27-2005, 05:35 PM
it's cool you take the time to help others. that should be appreciated by the people who are crying about an avatar not being exclusive to them. jeez!! go make your own people. i dont know squat about computers and managed to come up with one. of all the things to complain about! if you don't have the equipment to scan something you want-go to the library. people are so helpless these days.

tdutton17
02-16-2005, 07:01 PM
First thing I would like to say is thanks for making all of the avators.

I think it would be better if only a couple people could have the avator. i agree that it would not be as unique if many people had the same one.

danyanda
02-16-2005, 09:44 PM
I personally don't mind if someone else has the same avatar as the images are all readily available Joe art.

I don't know if I ever contacted you (should have read the entire post, I guess), but if there is a problem with my using the smoking hot redhead avatar then I would change it.