Blaylock Interview [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Blaylock Interview

jedimarvin
01-31-2005, 10:29 AM
<sigh of relief> Ahhhh, after reading the interview I can say I'm actually excited about the future of the comic, something I really didn't expect after all those horrible rumors. It looks like this decision will satisfy the need to boost popularity sand sales as wella s keep us (or at least me) happy.

My only request: Please, please make Rip Cord a memeber of the relaunched team!

beachhead666
01-31-2005, 11:05 AM
i dont see what the big deal is... you all panicked for nothing... glad i stayed out of it...

viperlord
01-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Panicked for nothing? First off I wouldn't call it panic, secondly nearly every negative comment about the future of the book was CONFIRMED by this interview.

I'll laugh when Devil's Due goes under :)

thoughtcrime
01-31-2005, 11:32 AM
3 replies? Jeez I expected 9 pages of whiners trumpeting the end of days over this. Every single of the rumors turned out to be true. They're renumbering, but still respecting the old continuity? Its 2005, time to leave the Marvel stuff in the dust IMO.

Still, I give them credit for being proactive instead of saying "everything's fine!" and then closing a week later like a certain Canadian comic book company. I'll come along for the ride, so I hope it pans out.

Chuplayer
01-31-2005, 12:06 PM
I am officially excited about this new series. I still wish they kept with the old numbering, though.

But the obligatory Divided Front question wasn't asked! WTF?

Jeff Bohn
01-31-2005, 12:17 PM
But the obligatory Divided Front question wasn't asked! WTF?

Divided Front falls under "I'd like to see whatever was in production when Dreamwave closed shop get put back out on the stands as soon as possible. Reign in all of the creators who were currently working on the titles and put them back in action."

beachhead666
01-31-2005, 12:45 PM
i'll reserve COMPLETE judgement until i actually read the series, but to me, it doesnt sound like too big of a deal. nothing we havent seen with other titles (X-men, anyone?) this certainly isnt the Deathknell everyone made it out to be as far as im reading....

mukkidog
01-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Panicked for nothing? First off I wouldn't call it panic, secondly nearly every negative comment about the future of the book was CONFIRMED by this interview.

I'll laugh when Devil's Due goes under :)

That says far more about you than Devil's Due..:(

No new continuity, General Rey isn't the new boss, COBRA isn't being erased... No standard BDU's. All those rumours quashed and still people aren't happy.

Me, I was happy before and am still happy. Me dumb Brit - Will buy any old rubbish apparently.

beachhead666
01-31-2005, 02:05 PM
That says far more about you than Devil's Due..:(

No new continuity, General Rey isn't the new boss, COBRA isn't being erased... No standard BDU's. All those rumours quashed and still people aren't happy.

Me, I was happy before and am still happy. Me dumb Brit - Will buy any old rubbish apparently.

well, im from wisconsin, mukki, whats my excuse? its too cold for my brain to work? :D

assassin
01-31-2005, 03:35 PM
I for one panicked at the new rumors
and i am pleased with the interivew
the things i didn;t want to happen
ie SGT savage and iron klaw and all thay crap is not happening
the same gi joe tf universe is not happening
the whole new continuity is not happening
basically all the stuff i didn't want to happen is not happening
who cares if ppl panicked ppl love this comic and these characters
if you personally didn't whoop di ^%*&^* do
anyways whats happening sounds great
as one of the people who would have dropped the comic
if it was ruined and not bought it just for the name
i am really excited to see how it pans out
DD really does do a good job for all the flack they catch
and on top of that
the artist who did such an awesome job on M&A is gonna be doing
the main book
thats wicked man good stuff
can;t wait to see how it turns out

Ghost X
01-31-2005, 04:41 PM
I am overall pleased with the annoucement and the proposed direction of the comic with one exception....

. . . the farewell of Brandon Jerwa.

I think GI Joe does need an "update" to its continuity, and though Brandon was no 80s era Hama, I trust a "fan boy" more than that proposed comic snob Casey. But I will wait and see.

Anyone have any suggested reading for the new author so I can prepare myself?

PS

Anyone else secretly hoping that they would annouce a relaunch begining in 1994, numbering the books at 156, and bringing on a certain Asian American New Yorker to write the book:)

MikePrime
01-31-2005, 06:18 PM
All right. It's just what I thought would happen to G.I. Joe, same continuity, new direction.

I hope one of his 'big licensce' announcements is Transformers. I don't read the comics, but I just want Devil's Due to show those DreamWave lovers what it can do.

danielmd06
01-31-2005, 06:50 PM
I am still cautious. I will continue to support the books as they come out, and will reserve judgement until I see exactly what is going to happen. I am excited about many of the comments that were made--and am very eagerly awaiting Master and Apprentice II.

Now I Know...
01-31-2005, 09:10 PM
I'm reposting a lot of what I've already said over on Jerwa's board,but it's how I feel.

I'm not to happy with the missing year gap in story,or the fact that this mystery force The Red Shadows has always been here,and seemingly will be intermixed with ARAH's origin.(revisionist history)I'm also not too happy with a basic relaunch of ARAH.And say what you will but this is scrapping ARAH without actually doing it.
This whole change just seems like it has bad idea written all over it.
This is such a familar story.The issue here as always it seems to be the issue is not change for changes sake,but change for cash sake.

Sure we make money from the book,but it could make so much more money!

I'll keep buying,and reading,but all I can say is they are right this will generate a buzz,and give new readers an access point,and bring sales up.

For a time.

And when it wears off things like Cobra and the Pitt,and all the other ARAH stuff will be dusted off and revived to appease the very same core buyers of the book that were there to begin with.

Nothing was learned from Sgt Savage,or Extreme.

I'm very dissapointed today,more so than when the Marvel run ended.At least that had the dignity to just fade away.

This is just not learning from previous mistakes.

Don't get me wrong I hope this goes over well,and Casey is an awesome writer I was sad when his run on Cable was over.I'll give him a fair shot,his run on Cable was by far better than everybody else's.His run gave Cable something else besides here's my big *** gun watch me destroy stuff.

Cable actually had a supporting cast that wasn't there to take a bullit.He even had a normal human girlfriend that had a normal human job,a waitress,and she cared for her brother(I believe) and he had a learning disorder,(I wanna say downs but I honestly am not 100% sure).

I'm interested to see what Casey does,but not enough to mess with the formula of the book.

I think I'd like this alot better if
a)The book wasn't changing as much as it is,or
b)if Casey had gotten Reloaded at Issue 1.

But I don't want this book to become a bastardized version of Extreme.Or worse.

Just like:
Spider-Clones
Red and Blue electric Supermen
Azreal becomes Batman
Hal Jordan goes nuts (actually I kinda liked that one,but most didn't)
Image's take on the Marvel Universe
The Authority after Jenny Sparks
The endless Youngblood reboots
The new Fantastic Four
Onslaught
Optimus Prime dying in the movie
New Coke
Cobra-La
Knight Rider 2000
Knight Rider 2010
Team Knight Rider
The Flintstones Via Rock Vegas!
Dumb,and Dumberer

So many have all done this sort of Buzz Reboot(did I just coin a phrase?) only to return to basics eventually.

I'll keep buying,and reading,and hope that I like it,but secretly deep down one day I know ARAH will come back in the form many of us have known and loved for years.

Here's to #1(holds glass up in salute).

Volume 4 #1 that is.
The next Buzz Reboot.
When ARAH goes back to basics.

Starviper1
01-31-2005, 09:52 PM
okay to all of you nay sayers out chill out.
you havent even read the 5 or 6 issue build up give it a chance. Gi joe is a comic these happen you devoted fans obviously arent giving the book you love the attention it needs otherwise this wouldnt happen. Devils due is a small fish in a big pond and shake ups need to happen. Give it a chance blaylock gave u a comic and a good one based off of marvel continutity he didnt trash on Mr. Hama's work by doing a straight reboot he is working out the kinks. He is simplifying. To all you fans about Reloaded I m sorry the book was dissapointing it couldnt find its footing Cobra reloaded was the best book of the series and that was written by the regular writer. I'm saying give it chance. If this was real time almost all of the joes would be close to retiring. To bash until it is seen I mean here is a guy who made serpentor interesting. Nuff said. Give it a chance. the time gaps seems to be appealing to the companies. Casey is a great writer and the artist if it is the guy im thinking of pulls great work just like mike dedodo jr. of asm (im sorry if I misspelt the name). But there is too ways joe can go a silent death like dreamwave or we give DD the supportneeded for joe to stay. and btw Millar's work on authority was the best during that time.

Starviper1
01-31-2005, 09:55 PM
hey ghost x i have two suggestions. Wildcats 3.0 a great book that i got into way too late. and the intimates because it is bizarre.

Dreadnok4life
02-01-2005, 01:58 AM
I read the interview this morning. But I wanted to wait awhile before I posted my thoughts on it. I was hoping that a few hours would make me a little more serene before I wrote something. It didn't really. So here's my take.

The cancellation and reboot is strickly a money making ploy to boost sales. I think we all knew that already. But Blaylock confirmed it. My response to this is Huh? So why doesn't he number each issue #1 and change the title every month? The bottom line is all of the plot changes, character changes, etc. could easily have been done in the current book. Of course then it would have #44 on it instead of #1. Yes they will get a temporary spike in sales. Then what happens when the sales drop down? Reboot again in six months? 12 months?

Blaylock indicated starting over would some how make it easier for new readers to understand what is going on. Now hasn't DD been in control of GI Joe for almost four years now? Who's fault is it that new readers can't pick up an issue and understand what's going on? Quite honestly I bought all the issues and sometimes I didn't know what was going on. Is it Marvel's fault? Is it Hasbro's? Or is it DD's fault? They have been telling the stories for the past 3+ years. DD decided to run with the long and drawn out story arcs. They could easily have decided to stick to shorter, more concise stories. But they didn't. Blaylock stated in the interview that they will continue with the longer story arcs. So let's say someone who never read a GI Joe book before picks up Issue #4 of the new series. Isn't there going to be the same problem? What's the difference between a new reader picking up Issue #4 or Issue #39?

Blaylock said the sales faded after the 80's fad cooled down. They tried shaking up the series by the return of Serpentor, paralyzing Hawk and introducing Wraith. But sales did not improve. So he corrolates this to a bias or back lash against the comic. He mentions Batman sales slumping at one point and then rebounding when the title got Jim Lee and Jeff Loeb on board. Could GI Joe's slumping sales be possibly related to mediocre writing? Is it bias against the 80's or just inferior story telling? Honestly I believe if GI Joe had consistent writing, the sales would have been better. Regardless of the decade it was introduced.

I hadn't read Joe Casey's remarks about 80's nostalgia acts before. Now that I've read his comments, I can't help but wonder if he took the position because it's a job offer. Compared to someone who believes in the characters and mythos such as Jerwa. Although I did not enjoy aspects of his work, at least you could tell there was genuine passion about the subject matter. Casey sounds like just another worker on the assembly line.

The whole going back to square one thing. Isn't that what they tried to do in Reloaded? Couldn't they have done that three years ago when they started the Joe book? I get the impression that Blaylock is somehow implying that it's a hindrance that GI Joe has this long history. That's ridiculous if true.

So General Rey isn't going to be in charge of GI Joe anymore. It's going to be someone who we would not expect. So I assume it's not going to be Hawk, Duke or Flint. Gee that sounds great. <Sarcasm mode off>.

Okay here's a spot in the interview where I really get confused. He says Cobra is not going away. DD is just going to add a new enemy into the mix. But then he says the Joe roster and the villain roster will be smaller so it will be easier for more indepth character interaction. So with the Red Shadows taking the starring villain role, how much does that leave for Cobra? What about Zartan and the Dreadnoks? I wouldn't be counting on seeing Buzzer anytime soon. Instead you'll be getting the all powerful, all knowing Red Shadows. I don't know about you, but I want to see some Grape Soda and Chocolate donuts being eaten.

In my opinion Blaylock skirted around the uniform question. He said he wanted them to look similar, yet unique. What the **** does that mean? Is it going to be like the Desert Patrol pack with Snake Eyes wearing cammies and a black balaclava? Reading between the lines, it sounded as if they are going to be wearing uniforms with little highlights to make them look distinctive in the group. That's not the GI Joe I grew up with. Maybe they will get numbers like the Mega Marines.

He also skirted around the major Cobra character dying question. I'm not sure whether it was because he's trying to hype everything, or if he is afraid to give the answer.

So after all this nonsense has come to pass, I feel totally ambivalent toward GI Joe in comic form. I may check out the new series. I may not. I just don't know. I'm not even sure if I will buy the next issue of the current book. That's just the way I feel.

For some reason I feel like breaking out my Marvel and re-reading #1 thru #155. :)

Dreadnok4life
02-01-2005, 02:04 AM
okay to all of you nay sayers out chill out.
you havent even read the 5 or 6 issue build up give it a chance. Gi joe is a comic these happen you devoted fans obviously arent giving the book you love the attention it needs otherwise this wouldnt happen. Devils due is a small fish in a big pond and shake ups need to happen. Give it a chance blaylock gave u a comic and a good one based off of marvel continutity he didnt trash on Mr. Hama's work by doing a straight reboot he is working out the kinks. He is simplifying. To all you fans about Reloaded I m sorry the book was dissapointing it couldnt find its footing Cobra reloaded was the best book of the series and that was written by the regular writer. I'm saying give it chance. If this was real time almost all of the joes would be close to retiring. To bash until it is seen I mean here is a guy who made serpentor interesting. Nuff said. Give it a chance. the time gaps seems to be appealing to the companies. Casey is a great writer and the artist if it is the guy im thinking of pulls great work just like mike dedodo jr. of asm (im sorry if I misspelt the name). But there is too ways joe can go a silent death like dreamwave or we give DD the supportneeded for joe to stay. and btw Millar's work on authority was the best during that time.

The book I love was cancelled in December 1994. I thought Serpentor was interesting when Hama had him killed by Zartan on Cobra Island. We are already supporting DD by buying the current comic. That apparently isn't enough.

mukkidog
02-01-2005, 03:22 AM
"A money making ploy"? My god, DDP are out to make money?? My faith is shattered!! In that ideal world that floats on a mystical cloud somewhere, I'm sure a parallel universe Josh Blaylock turns out a GI JOE comic that doesn't sell, supported purely by love from his appreciative (but dwindling) readership alone. His debts are piling up and staff are being fired, but so desperate is he to keep the comic as those 5000 readers (and dropping) want, he decides to surrender all notion of making a living for their benefit. But then, a character behaves in a way that's unacceptable to 1000 readers and they drop the series. Josh isn't undeterred, so he knuckles down and sells his bed, just to keep the same quality comic coming out every month in the face of so many negative comments.
He's a lad, that Josh!

ShortFuze
02-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Alright, this will be short and sweet. It's 3 F'n dollars a month(unless you collect all the covers, etc etc). So for 3 bucks a month, pick up the damn book that says "GIJOE" on the front and read it, use it as a coaster, wipe your butt with it, whatever you choose because when they finally say it's cancelled you'll all realize that any Joe is better then No Joe.

danielmd06
02-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Goodness certain people are taking this too seriously (or perhaps they just like to bait and provoke others?). Firstly, DDP is a business, and as such it is primarily devoted to making money--not stressing excessively over characters that we remember and love from our childhoods (this is truth, but not neccessarily a great thing). Back to the point, how could a comic business best accomplish this goal of making money? I say by appealing to the largest number of people possible. How can it do that? Simply by writing excellent stories with good artwork you can generate a large and continuous fan base. "Keep the customer happy" is a cardinal rule of any businessman is it not? Now I freely admit that the definition of "excellent" is highly variable to say the least, however I believe that a majority of the current DDP comic fan base (who are 80's ARAH fans) can be kept happy and intact whilst new readers are snared. This comic has done so well because most of the readership loved the tales of yesteryear and wished to continually see their favorites battle it out once again. Why then, should we suddenly be desirous of tremendous upheavals to those very interests that brought us to the comic to begin with? Oh and just as a little side note, is it so unrealisitc and too much to hope that writers have a certain amount of self-respect in refraining from using a "by any means necessary" tactic to generate personal wealth? Being clever with stories is quite different and far more effective in the long run than using cheap "quick fixes."

It doesn't take gimmicks like deaths or maiming of major characters to accomplish high readership and soaring sales. There is definitely nothing wrong with introducing new characters or even new terrorist organizations, but this is more appropriately done within the context of the Joe universe that so many of us ascribed to in the first place. Give me quality writing over major shakeups and completely new directions. Give me quality artwork in lieu of numerous issue #1's. I am looking forward with great anticipation to Master and Apprentice II. It is not because of any titanic revelation, death, or new major character introduction that I have this eagerness but merely the fact that I believe it will be a GOOD STORY.

I apologize for being so long, and I would like to say in closing that I have respect for DDP and the current Joe titles and will continue to be a faithful fan of GI Joe--regardless. I am still excited about the comments made and will still reserve final judgement until I see exactly what is going to happen.

Starviper1
02-01-2005, 12:04 PM
The book I love was cancelled in December 1994. I thought Serpentor was interesting when Hama had him killed by Zartan on Cobra Island. We are already supporting DD by buying the current comic. That apparently isn't enough.

I havent read the original series straight from 1 to 155 but i have a nice chunk of it and it always seemed to me that the best issues were 1 to 120 after that it started to get bogged down by the the toyline although 155 was a great issue (one of my overall comic favorites). And I apologize if my comments seemed to be harsh but I read all of these blurbs and people can be so negative. I think with the longer arcs you have chance to tell stronger character based stories but have a tendency to get long winded. Also what characters do you built the ones we love or the new guys in the toys. I think those guys need the push. As much as it gets hard to follow it isnt as bad as G1 where sometimes you needed a map to follow the story. Im just saying it is five monthes away let's see what theyve got b4 the end you know.

whitedalek
02-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Alright, this will be short and sweet. It's 3 F'n dollars a month(unless you collect all the covers, etc etc). So for 3 bucks a month, pick up the damn book that says "GIJOE" on the front and read it, use it as a coaster, wipe your butt with it, whatever you choose because when they finally say it's cancelled you'll all realize that any Joe is better then No Joe.

Amen, brother!

COBRAAA!!!!

danielmd06
02-03-2005, 10:33 PM
And I apologize if my comments seemed to be harsh but I read all of these blurbs and people can be so negative.

Starviper1, I am not sure if your apology was linked to my comments above. If so, then understand that you need not apologize--my comments were directed toward another person's post.

Your opinion, while a bit different than mine, was respectfully written, and it would be a very boring world if we all agreed on everything. Plus, I happen to agree with you that some of the issues in the 120's were among the best that Hama ever wrote. I absolutely loved issue #126.

Dreadnok4life
02-06-2005, 03:43 AM
"A money making ploy"? My god, DDP are out to make money?? My faith is shattered!! In that ideal world that floats on a mystical cloud somewhere, I'm sure a parallel universe Josh Blaylock turns out a GI JOE comic that doesn't sell, supported purely by love from his appreciative (but dwindling) readership alone. His debts are piling up and staff are being fired, but so desperate is he to keep the comic as those 5000 readers (and dropping) want, he decides to surrender all notion of making a living for their benefit. But then, a character behaves in a way that's unacceptable to 1000 readers and they drop the series. Josh isn't undeterred, so he knuckles down and sells his bed, just to keep the same quality comic coming out every month in the face of so many negative comments.
He's a lad, that Josh!

Is this an attempt at sarcasm or are you saying Blaylock is near bankruptcy? Honestly if he's selling his bed, then by golly I'll buy anything he puts out just to keep him off the floor. Shall we start a charity drive?

Except for Monty Python, I never got English humor. Benny Hill was unwatchable. And that Mr. Bean, what a wanker. :rolleyes:

Dreadnok4life
02-06-2005, 03:52 AM
By the way my posts aren't negative or positive. They are my opinions. I don't consider other people's postings that counter my opinion to be negative or positive either. I do realize this is the Internet so rational debate is very rare. But I disagree with labels such as negative or positive.

In WWII Germany, if someone attached a flyer to a wall in Berlin that stated murdering jews was wrong, it would have been viewed as a negative posting by the Nazi regime. But obviously the message of not killing jews would have been correct. So it's strictly in the eye of the beholder whether something is positive or negative.

The MASS Device
02-08-2005, 10:20 AM
I read the comic up to about number 30. I didn't like the story arcs they were doing, especially the return of Serpentor. They seemed to be changing personel too much and the quality of writing was going downhill. So I stopped buying and reading them. Just lost interest.

This "stunt" has gotten my attention, but I don't think they have given me enough to really get my hopes up. I loved the first 19 or so issues, but then I think everything just kind of fell apart. Doesn't sound like the real problem is going to be remedied, but I may give the comic another shot. So I guess their plan is working for me. But they better deliver or I will forget about the new comic again. Sorry, I guess I am not loyal enough.