master and apprentice II #1 *SPOILERS* and other thoughts [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : master and apprentice II #1 *SPOILERS* and other thoughts

danyanda
02-12-2005, 12:52 PM
What did you guys think? I personally really like Jerwa but I found this issue very difficult to follow.
In the beginning, why would Storm Shadow and Junko conspire to rip people off? Doesn't that seem a little out of character? Then when it switched to the flashback, at first I thought that it was Stormy talking since he was the last one to speak. I kept wondering why he looked like a girl. Then the whole ninja apprentice love triangle thing. Dude, don't make out with the girl who you have to train. Then there is the whole side switching debacle that is Storm Shadow. This just throws another kink in the works since now he is "good" again but turns "bad" by the time Image #1 rolls around. I hope the next three issues resolve that, but even if they do it leaves another cycle of good-bad-good-bad in there. And last but not least, the first M and A worked out well continuity wise because Kamakura was already an established part of the future. Junko has not been seen or heard of in the main series, so either she has to get developed just to die, or somehow disappear from the continuity. IMO it creates many more problems then it makes good story lines.
I'm not saying this to bash the book. I just am finding it difficult after the first issue. I also noticed the "Joe goes Manga" advertisement. Not really sure what Manga is, but that series looks pretty weak. My comic guy, Wade of Wade's Comic Madness, says the new #1 in the main series could be a good thing, and I hope he's right.

assassin
02-12-2005, 03:41 PM
manga is a japanese style of comic drawing
its really widely used in japan and the animation movies are mostly done in this style

ok my take on M&A 2
i really did not care for the artwork here at all
it works well for something like street fighter but it just dosen't
suit joe at all
and the story was just weird what time frame is this in ?
is it during the time between marvel 155 and image 1?
or is it from sometime now where we haven't seen billy and duke se ss and scarlett have split ?
and some of it really did seem out of character
i dunno i can;t really describe why i didn't find it as good as the first m an a
but it just wasn;t as good as expected

MikePrime
02-12-2005, 05:53 PM
M&A 2 was okay. The artwork should have been a different style. When I looked at Storm Shadow in that fight at the comic's opening, Ryu from Street Fighter II instantly flashed in my mind. I too wonder about when the comic takes place, Storm Shadow should be around middle age if this comic takes place in the present day. I also didn't care for Storm Shadow's voice in the comic. He spoke in a very generic manner and the way he spoke didn't feel like Storm Shadow.

danielmd06
02-13-2005, 03:33 PM
I really liked M & A 2. I like the fact that Billy and Storm Shadow are still connected, and I like the new female character. I like the fact that Storm Shadow is still struggling with his place in the grand scheme of things. I liked the artwork. I loved the heavy Japanese styles and references, and settings. I am very pleased with this book. Well done DDP! Keep writing books like this and I will be a very happy man. Please keep Storm Shadow evil! Wicked characters like Destro, the Baroness, Major Bludd, Zartan, and Firefly have so much more depth than theor "good guy" counterparts.

The only negatives I had were Billy's last name (supposed to be "unpronounceable," right?) and the weak uniform on Cobra Commander on the very last page.

RAS ONE J
02-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Well this issue is good but not great. Also find it little difficult to follow but overall I will buy all the issues of this series. Sometimes they make covers so intriguing that you want to buy it for the cover itself but story is not so great.

I will most likey buy the Gi Joe manga too. I'll will buy the Joe comics for now since I'm almost stopped buying them..I'm curious bout this red shadow thing.

Dreadnok4life
02-21-2005, 01:27 PM
I thought it was average. Not great, not horrible. I did not care for the artwork. The first issue of M&A really caught my attention. This first issue didn't.