Presentation Teaser Pics Original Artwork [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Presentation Teaser Pics Original Artwork

Mark W. Bellomo
02-14-2005, 07:32 PM
I have finally acquired about 80+ color painting images from prototype Joe artwork to go along with the sketches I acquired for a MN Con presentation. The color painting photos will go along with the various prototype sketches as posted below. These oil paintings were the ones that went right to the Hasbro Board of Directors for approval - then to Rudat himself for finalized card artwork.

Couple that with Larry's prototype dossiers (approx. 230), and I hope to have an hour presentation for Sun and Sat of the 'con.

dmooretoys
02-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Mark--you're lucky I'm not going to the con or you would have to keep your items locked up! Wow--I would love to see these in person but I can't get away from work. Beautiful!

Dan

Tattoo Shane
02-14-2005, 11:59 PM
Just to clarify Mark, you don't actually have the art do you? Just images of the art? Are the sketches you have originals or images as well?

Sorry for all the questions but pre-production stuff is what interests me the most and i'm quite curious! I wish i could make it out for the Joe con...is there any chance you'll be taping your presentation?

dmooretoys
02-15-2005, 12:25 AM
Just to clarify Mark, you don't actually have the art do you? Just images of the art? Are the sketches you have originals or images as well?

Sorry for all the questions but pre-production stuff is what interests me the most and i'm quite curious! I wish i could make it out for the Joe con...is there any chance you'll be taping your presentation?
Good question. I would also be interested in a tape of the presentation.

Dan

Mark W. Bellomo
02-15-2005, 09:10 AM
I own the actual pencil sketches, but the oils were either kept by Hasbro after the presentation, or thrown away. There are rumors surrounding the oils that some artists retrieved them for the garbage bins, but I have no leads on this...

Therefore, I have the actual pencil sketches and photostats and 35mm negatives of the oils...

-- MWB

Tattoo Shane
02-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Very cool that you have the original sketches Mark! Drop me a line if you ever tire of them. ;)

As far as the oils go, i do know that Hasbro has some of them hanging along their office walls in Rhode Island. I've had a couple friends visit there and they were quick to point that out. Who knows if they kept more than what's hanging but i wouldn't be surprised. Hasbro and Mattel were really strict with the bulk of their pre-production material and both were known to keep them in some sort of vault. Kenner was the same way with the Morgue but because they were such a small operation comparatively, they threw out a LOT of stuff. Thankfully there were a few folks who saved a good chunk of it.

Anyways, it's very cool to see this stuff and it's great to know there are other pre-production collecotrs out there who appreciate this stuff as much as i do!

RRL75
02-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Mark,

I'm assuming the drawings are the ones that Dave Dorman had. Did you wipe him out or does he still have stuff available? I haven't been able to get in touch with him for awhile. I bought two paintings from him last year that set my art budget back quite a bit. I got the Destro painting he did for the Palisades bust packaging and the painting he did of Tunnel Rat, Roadblock and others jumping out of the Tomahawk. It was used as poster in the GI Joe magazine and as a puzzle from Milton Bradley. Dave always told me he had a lot of stuff and I'm glad to see that it got into someone's hands that is willing to show it to others and not lock it up in their "vault" so to speak.

Mark W. Bellomo
02-15-2005, 05:45 PM
There is absolutely NO REASON for me not to show every Joe fan EVERYTHING I have compiled. Why hoard items? To what avail? Eeep.

- MWB

Obiwanjacoby
02-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Guh. . .so. . .many. . .originals!!! :eek:

You thinking of making this a "tour" kinda thing? Make more than one presentation at other cons perhaps?

Cripes man. . .230dossiers? Can't wait to learn more about my fave Joes!!!

Incredible find! Thanks so much. That'll be a real chore getting them on the archives. But worth it. :p

-PJ

jabba the drunk
06-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Man....I wish I went to the convention!

Mark, I was viewing the Master Collector pictures from your seminar...wow. Great seeing your sketches with the images of the presentation paintings.

Really looked like a great time. Wish I could have been there to listen to it!

Any forum members get a chance to sit in on the presentation?

-Peter

blackdragon
06-25-2005, 09:32 PM
You should put out another book of just artwork. I felt the only thing you ultimate guide was missing was box and card art. Of course you didn't have enough room for it in the ultimate guide so another book with all the box art, card art, prototype artwork and sketches and everything else you have would be great!

Mattman2
06-26-2005, 01:40 PM
There ya go indeed!