Who's from the Arashikage clan? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Who's from the Arashikage clan?

Rotty
02-16-2005, 04:00 PM
I have a question for y'all. Counting Larry Hama's Marvel series, Devil's Due continuity, and pack-in comics like Ninja Battles, who all can claim to be part of the Arashikage clan?

In the Marvel series, it went like this:

Hard Master + Soft Master + Tommy's Pa Onihashi & B Drgn
****|*************|************************|
Stormy & SE *** Dojo ************** Firefly, T'Jbang
**|
Billy

Blind Master
**** |
Jinx, Nunchuk

+ = blood brothers
& = sword brothers

Now, was it revealed in the Marvel series who the Blind Master's sensei was?

Devil's Due has made Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes sensei, and the Ninja Battles pack-in comic introduced new students for them.

Storm Shadow ********************* Snake Eyes
**** | ******************************** |
Junko, Shadow Strike & Slash * Kamakura & Tiger Claw

What's the deal with Slice, though? The file cards for his vintage figures said he "May be a renegade Ninja from Storm Shadow's own clan", but was this ever confirmed in a comic?

Then we have the nameless Red Ninjas, who make up the rest of the Arashikage Clan's remnants. Not counting Zartan because he didn't train long enough, am I missing anyone?

danielmd06
02-16-2005, 09:27 PM
According to the original Marvel comic series:

The original Arashikage ninjas were the Hard Master (uncle of Storm Shadow who is murdered by Zartan and Firefly), the Soft Master (uncle of Storm Shadow who is murdered by Scrap-Iron and Firefly), the Young Master (Storm Shadow), Snake-Eyes (offered the leadership of the clan in lieu of Storm Shadow by the Hard Master himself), and the Faceless Master (Firefly--originally master of the Koga ninja style and later master of the Arashikage style). Firefly is hired by Cobra Commander to infiltrate the clan and murder Snake-Eyes.

The Blind Master was yet another addition to this constellation of characters that we learn very little about in the comic--save that he bore Zartan a grudge for killing the Hard Master. He is later murdered by Zartan (after first defeating the "master of disguise" in physical combat). Just before his death he reveals to his killer that Onihashi actually forgave Zartan with his dying breath.

Jinx was merely a student, not a full master during the leadership of the Hard Master--though a clan ninja nonetheless. She is trained by the Blind Master.

Dojo was specifically trained by the Soft Master himself--presumably after the death of the hard Master.

Slice (a very formidable swordsman) and Dice along with all other renegade Red Ninjas who bear the clan hexagram mark on their forearms were also former Arashikage ninjas. We assume that they were members before the murder of the Hard Master and the subsequent disbandment of the clan.

It is worth noting that Firefly took the title of Red Master when he briefly led Slice, Dice, and the other renegade Red Ninjas in the Silent Castle in Trans-Carpathia.

Professor Onihashi was the mystic swordsmith that the clan utilized. He takes on the challenge of training Zartan in order to "hammer out his impurities." He commits seppuku (suicide) when he learns that Zartan has murdered the Hard Master.

Zartan worked as Onihashi's assistant to gain tradesman's access to the clan. His purpose was to murder Snake-Eyes for Cobra Commander.

T'bang was another of Professor Onihashi's apprentices.

Nunchuk was trained by the Blind Master.

Tyrone was another of the Blind Master's apprentices. He dies in the landlocked freighter on Cobra Island.

Billy was Storm Shadow's apprentice.

The three surviving Grand Masters of the Arashikage ninja clan are Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow, and (arguably) Firefly.

Rotty
02-16-2005, 10:40 PM
According to the original Marvel comic series:

The original Arashikage ninjas were the Hard Master (murdered by Zartan and Firefly), the Soft Master (murdered by Scrap-Iron and Firefly), the Young Master (Storm Shadow), Snake-Eyes (offered the leadership of the clan in lieu of Storm Shadow by the Hard Master himself), and the Faceless Master (Firefly--originally master of the Koga ninja style and later master of the Arashikage style and hired by Cobra Commander to infiltrate the clan and murder Snake-Eyes).

Right, though Firefly's ninja roots weren't revealed until he got his neon green action figure. Originally it was just Hard Master, Softy, Tommy, Snake Eyes, and Onihashi (whose status is ambiguous enough to be debated). These five plus the Blind Master are the only legitimate Arashikage masters of the post-Vietnam War era, right? Firefly was a Koga ninja, his command of the Red Ninjas at one time not withstanding

The Blind Master was yet another addition to this constellation of characters that we learn very little about in the comic--save that he bore Zartan a grudge for killing the Hard Master. He is later murdered by Zartan (after defeating the "master of disguise" in physical combat) just before revealing to him that Onihashi actually forgave Zartan with his dying breath.

And yet we still didn't learn much about the guy, apparently!

Jinx and Dojo were merely students, not masters--though full-fledged clan ninjas nonetheless. Slice (a very formidable swordsman) and Dice along with all other renegade Red Ninjas who bear the clan hexagram mark on their forearms were also former Arashikage ninjas.

It is worth noting that Firefly took the title of Red Master when he briefly led Slice, Dice, and the other renegade Red Ninjas in the Silent Castle in Trans-Carpathia.

Was it actually said in the comic that Dice was part of the clan? His figure didn't have the tattoo, and I always assumed he was someone Slice and the Red Ninjas picked up along the way.

Professor Onihashi was the mystic swordsmith that the clan utilized. He takes on the challenge of training Zartan in order to "hammer out his impurities." He commits seppuku (suicide) when he learns that Zartan has murdered the Hard Master.

Zartan worked as Onihashi's assistant to gain tradesman's access to the clan. His purpose was to murder Snake-Eyes for Cobra Commander.

Right, I'm up on all this... the main thing I'm missing is something more specific about the Blind Master than "he was in training at the same time as Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes", so I can link him and thus Jinx and Nunchuk in with everybody else. Apparently that info wasn't given by Hama.

I forget how T'bang and Nunchuk figure into all of this. Their respective stories are on their original filecards in the Archives, though. I think they were released around 1994?

1992. Unlike the new characters from the following year, everyone from the 1992 Ninja Force got time in the comic and had their backstories established. Nunchuk was taught by the Blind Master in Denver, while T'Jbang was a student of Onihashi. Given who else the man trained, it's a wonder T'Jbang hasn't become a terrorist or amoral mercenary...

Tyrone was the Blind Master's apprentice. He dies in the landlocked freighter on Cobra Island.

Billy was Storm Shadow's apprentice.

Got it. You know, with all the clan masters dead except for Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes, I wonder why Jinx hasn't sought out master status. It would beat being trained by a man who can't speak...

danielmd06
02-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Firefly's "double master" status? Firefly was a full master of the Koga ninja style and (I believe) the Arashikage ninja style and was thus referred to as the Faceless Master by Arashikage ninjas. He did apprentice himself to Professor Onihashi to learn the fine art of sword-making, but he did not study martial arts under Onihashi himself, but rather studied and trained Arashikage techniques in the Arashikage family dojo. Thus, I still feel that Onihashi is merely a swordsmith--not a ninja. In addition to this, Firefly knew the "secret finger-knits," the "answers to the Zen Koan Riddles" and the "real meaning of the clan hexagram." These tests coupled with his skill seem to identify Firefly less as a rank-and-file ninja and more as a "red ninja leader" and master. These were former Arashikage ninjas (at least for the most part) that he was master to, right? Firefly was included in the group photo/formal Arashikage family portrait from GI Joe #62. "Everybody in the photo was either a family member of direct descent or a master." Granted, I don't have enough memory to completely prove my argument--just my humble opinion based on how Hama portrayed the character.

As far as Dice being in the Arashikage clan, it was in fact Dice who spoke the above quoted words in GI Joe #126, thus I surmise that he was indeed an Arashikage ninja since he used a plural "we" in his speech. However, it is generally hypothesized that Dice was a Night Creeper in his origin (according to his file card). I think this is a toss-up on how you desire to interpret the character.

Yeah we know very little about the Blind Master (I loved this character). I always kind of figured that was the point. He was simply a shadow figure that Hama could use to continually weave his masterful stories together. I agree with you in that I don't think he was ever clearly defined by Hama.

1992? Quite right! I rechecked myself in the Archives and corrected the above post. My memory has had far too much to hold within itself these past three years for me to be able to recall these GI Joe facts. That's what the Archives are for, right? :D

Love this thread.

Hit & Run
02-18-2005, 03:35 PM
ninja clan (http://alleyviper.proboards39.com/index.cgi?board=GenTalk&action=display&num=1107816780)

here is alink I came across that may help you out.

dragun316
02-19-2005, 10:33 PM
"Kamakura: Son of a former Crimson Guardsman. Godson of Snakeeyes. Apprentice of Snakeeyes."

Does this mean that Kamakura is actually Wade Collins' adopted son? I presume this was touched on at some point in the Devil's Due series.

Does anyone know for sure? (please forgive me, I haven't been keeping up with the comics lately)

danielmd06
02-20-2005, 01:17 PM
"Kamakura: Son of a former Crimson Guardsman. Godson of Snakeeyes. Apprentice of Snakeeyes."

Does this mean that Kamakura is actually Wade Collins' adopted son? I presume this was touched on at some point in the Devil's Due series.

Does anyone know for sure? (please forgive me, I haven't been keeping up with the comics lately)

Kamakura is acutally the adopted son of Wade Collins. Collins served in Vietnam with Storm Shadow, Stalker, Snake-Eyes, Dick Saperstien, and Ramon Escobedo. He was captured by the enemy, became a POW, and later returned to the United States to face a tremendous wave of hatred directed at him due to his past military service. He became disillusioned and joined the Cobra organization as Fred II in the elite Crimson Guard--the second Crimson Guardsman.

Fred I was actually Sean's (Kamakura's) biological father. Fred II (Wade) replaced Fred I after his death in the High Sierras on a mission with Destro and Firefly to attack Snake-Eyes' cabin. Fred I was buried behind a waterfall with an inscription left by the Soft Master. Wade later repented of his terrorist activities, quit the Crimson Guard and became a foster father and husband to Fred's former wife, son, and daughter.

And that brings us up to DDP's excellent Master and Apprentice storyline.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

danielmd06
02-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Oh yeah, the above information is from the old Marvel series of comics--not DDP. We actually see Sean Collins later in the very last issue of GI Joe's Marvel set, too. He writes a letter to Snake-Eyes.

DDP took all this information and made some very good follow-ups.