GI Joe Video Game [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : GI Joe Video Game

Rotty
02-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Since the subject has come up, here's an idea I came across on the Sandbox (alt.toys.gi-joe): one thing Hasbro ought to do is create a GI Joe Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game (MMORPG), allowing the player to create their own GI Joe or Cobra, and charge a standard monthly fee but also make each month's subscription free with a certain number of Battle Points.

I think this is a great idea. Players would get to feel like they're becoming a Joe or Cobra by choosing a military speciality, selecting one of several uniform color schemes (Olive Drab, Woodland Camo, Desert Camo, or Night Ops for "Greenshirts"; combinations of blues, blacks, grays, tans, and forest green plus the occasional red trim for Cobra divisions), choosing their character's skin and hair colors and facial features, then form squads with other players, be assigned missions, and get to interact with major characters like General Abernathy and Cobra Commander. Like in Command & Conquer: Renegade, there would be a variety of vehicles to use, with skill at controlling the different types determined by Milspec and experience. The (single-carded) 3 3/4" figure line would include figures of the troops in the game along with the characters from the animation, the whole thing being under one brand name, and kids could mail in the Battle Points from the toys they buy to keep playing cash-free.

I think I know what the main objection would be to this: Joe troops in the toy line. I know, I'm part of the "Joes don't have nameless troops" faction myself, but it would be necessary to avoid having hundreds of Dukes and Snake Eyeses and scores of Scarletts running around, and you want both Joe and Cobra players to be able to buy figures that look like their characters.

Viper Commander
02-21-2005, 03:37 AM
If that game ever came out, I would never go outdoors again... :D

CGC
02-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Great ideas, especially about the flag point/battle point subscription option!

sinnister
02-21-2005, 09:23 AM
I'm not positive I'd play it if it were a MMORPG. Don't get me wrong...I love the idea...but I tend to get too engrossed in those type games. I'm constantly playing trying to gain more experience so my character is better/stronger or so I can use that next weapon that is a level up! I think I'd personally prefer just a normal style game...FPS or something similar. MMORPG's are worse than heroin...especially once you find a good crew you enjoy playing with.
Great idea with the battle points etc. A Joe game would be fun indeed.

whitedalek
02-21-2005, 09:26 AM
I'm not positive I'd play it if it were a MMORPG. Don't get me wrong...I love the idea...but I tend to get too engrossed in those type games. I'm constantly playing trying to gain more experience so my character is better/stronger or so I can use that next weapon that is a level up! I think I'd personally prefer just a normal style game...FPS or something similar. MMORPG's are worse than heroin...especially once you find a good crew you enjoy playing with.
Great idea with the battle points etc. A Joe game would be fun indeed.

I hear ya, sinnister! I just weaned myself off City of Crack (Heroes). My friends want me to do World of Warcraft, but I've resisted so far. I'm such a junkie for those games. Plus, since I own my own shop, there's nobody to tell me to stop playing and get some work done! :) Anyway, though, awesome idea, Rotty! Sadly, I don't see Hasbro doing it, but it would be awesome.

sinnister
02-21-2005, 09:53 AM
I hear ya, sinnister! I just weaned myself off City of Crack (Heroes). My friends want me to do World of Warcraft, but I've resisted so far. I'm such a junkie for those games. Plus, since I own my own shop, there's nobody to tell me to stop playing and get some work done! :) Anyway, though, awesome idea, Rotty! Sadly, I don't see Hasbro doing it, but it would be awesome.

WOW would be the death of me! It's real tempting...I have to basically run past the electronics part of the store so I'm not tempted to pick it up! I was addicted to SWG until 'the holocron wars'.

Dreadnok4life
02-21-2005, 01:37 PM
That is a great idea actually. But I would settle on a simple PC version of Call of Duty or Medal of Honor with a Joe theme.

Obiwanjacoby
02-21-2005, 05:16 PM
I totally love the idea on paper, but you'd have to find a way to balance it out to keep everyone from exclusively playing Cobras and ninjas.

Because you just know. . .:rolleyes:

-PJ

thorn
02-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Great ideas, especially about the flag point/battle point subscription option!

NO NO NO. everything Except that is a good idea.
the cost to a game co is so minimal, all they need to do is run a server.
it should be free.

UT stats, playing BF1942, medal of honor, many other games that use a central server dont cost a dime. game co.s have websites anyway, there is no real reason to charge us more for the tiny bit of extra server space.

other than that, KILLer idea. incorporate maps/ battles from the comics/ cartoons,
ninja battles, vehicles battles, infantry battels, covert missions, ohh it could be very very cool

thorn
02-21-2005, 05:35 PM
as far as ninjas, soldeirs, in regard to obiwan-
just have different game types, like team matc or death match, only ninja battle or infantry battle.

Rotty
02-21-2005, 06:56 PM
I totally love the idea on paper, but you'd have to find a way to balance it out to keep everyone from exclusively playing Cobras and ninjas.

Because you just know. . .:rolleyes:

-PJ

LOL! Yeah, I can just see Cobra Island being defended from an amphibious assault by a hundred ninja apprentices and a handful of Rangers. It would definitely have to be balanced so all the Joe character options are equally attractive.

I'd probably try for SEAL, Ranger, Marine Recon, Medic, Sailor, Armor, Helo Pilot, Intelligence, and Ninja Trainee classes, then ditch any that can't be balanced. Players could form squads and platoons on both sides and the Joes could have VAMPs, Hummvees, Avenger Hummvees, Night Rhinos, Grizzlies, Ice Sabres, Dragonflies, RAH-66 Comaches, UH-60 Blackhawks, ACH-47 Armed Chinooks, Piranhas, WHALEs, Zodiac rafts, and SEAL Delivery Vehicles to use.

Cobra players could choose from Viper, Motor-Viper, Medi-Viper, Eel, Lamprey, Gyro-Viper, Crimson Guard, and Red Ninja classes. Vehicles could include Fast Attack Vehicles (Stinger w/ machine gun instead of missiles), Stingers, a BTR-60 look-alike APC, HISSes, HISS IIs, Wolves, FANGs, Mambas, Cobra transport helos, Night Landing rafts, Moray hydrofoils, Hammerheads, Anaconda submarines (Hammerhead scout subs), and jet skis (Hammerhead jet skis).

While GI Joe players would be able to earn a code name and training from the leader of their unit (Torpedo, Flint, Gung-Ho, Doc, Shipwreck, Steeler, Wild Bill, Lady Jaye, or Snake Eyes) to boost their stats, Cobra players would have bonus classes to advance to, in keeping with canon that advanced troops start as grunts and work their way up to better things. I'm thinking:
Viper to Range-Viper
Eel or Lamprey to Snow Serpent
Crimson Guard to CG Commander
Red Ninja to (Storm Shadow) Apprentice (palette swap)
Stat boosts and palette swap for Motor-Viper
Surgical enhancement and helmet color change for Gyro-Viper

Both sides would have the same suite of handheld weapons and personal gear available: knife, pistol, assault rifle w/ grenade launcher, shotgun, sniper rifle, 7.62mm machine gun, Anti-Tank Guided Missile launcher, Stinger missiles, first aid kit, and radio for calling in airstrikes and evacuation.

An expansion could allow you to join the GI Joe and Cobra (fixed-wing) Air Forces with Pilot, Air Force Commando, and Air-Viper classes, with AVAC to advance to. Jets could include Skystrikers (pure air-to-air), Thunderwings (multi-role fighters), A-10s, Rattlers (A-10 palette swap), Liquidators (multi-role fighters), and a fictional transport plane for both sides able to hold a platoon of jumpers. Sailors and Lampreys would get to serve on the USS Flagg and a Cobra Amphibious Assault ship. Other expansions could include "Urban Assault" (with K-9 Corps, Alley-Viper, the Rage, and a new GI Joe vehicle) and "Cobra's Venom" with Crimson Viper (and Alley-, Medi-, Motor-, and Gyro-) and Python Patrol palette swaps, a genetic engineer bonus class for Medi-Vipers, able to transform an appropriate trooper into a Neo-Viper/Strato-Viper/Electric Eel/Snow Wolf in Dr. Mindbender's lab, and the Night Raven.

Rotty
02-21-2005, 07:23 PM
There would also have to be bases! Forming a platoon would entitle your group to a collapsable HQ based on the 1983 playset or a Terror Drome, depending on your faction. The player appointed Lieutenant by his comrades could issue orders from it, Hummvee/Cobra APC ambulances could medevac players with very low hit points to it to be treated by a surgeon Medic (as opposed to the less-capable corpsman Medics in the field), and Armor Joes/Motor-Vipers could refuel and repair vehicles at the repair bays. Both would of course have their cannons for base defense, and the Terror Drome would have an AI-controlled drone Firebat for anti-helicopter defense balanced out by the GI Joe base's ability to service a helo.

whitedalek
02-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Rotty, stop!!! You're making me drool all over my keyboard and I'm getting dizzy! I wish you were a billionaire so you could make the game.

Viper Commander
02-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Rotty, stop!!! You're making me drool all over my keyboard and I'm getting dizzy! I wish you were a billionaire so you could make the game.

LMAO I was gonna say that but you said it first LMAO:D

Rotty
02-23-2005, 07:00 PM

White Dalek & Viper Commander,

There's just so much potential to be tapped here. Choosing your character class, color scheme, skin and hair color; forming a squad with your friends; getting together with two other squads to form a platoon and get your HQ or Terror Drome; improving your skills with pistol, assault rifle, and grenade launcher; taking basic training with shotgun, sniper rifle, machine gun, anti-tank missile launcher, or Stinger and improving your skill; calling airstrikes; earning your code name or advancing to another type of Viper... it could be titled Cobra's Coil and we'd all be so addicted, it would end up with the nickname "Cocaine's Coil". :p

whitedalek
02-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Rotty, please stop!!!! You're making me crazy! :) Honestly, if this game was made, I would probably be found dead at the keyboard after not eating or sleeping for weeks!!!

.......must keep playing.....must hit "trusted advisor to cobra commander" level!!!.........only 2 more levels to go........

Roadblock_1187
02-25-2005, 06:30 PM
i like where your going rotty but i think it should stick to sunbow era vehicles & styles Vamp I & II Havocs Tomahawks Stuns Trubble Bubbles Etc with the expansion bringing in Dic Area of Gi Joe Rock Vipers Rages Mobile Command Center Etc

i also wouldnt mind seeing a Battlefield version of Gi Joe Like Battlefront

a few years ao i worked out ideas for a C&C style joe game that i think could kick some real butt like the cobra Base from the Weather dominator the energy shields from the same series as Joe defenses all kinds of neat stuff like that