To the mods,small site improvement idea [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : To the mods,small site improvement idea

thunt4
02-22-2005, 12:36 AM
I already spoke to MacDowin and to be honest it was very hard to explain in an email. I know all of the mods on this site are busy as it is but this is only to make the site better in my opinion. I collect mail ins and sears items and when i first came to the site i assumed they would have a picture under the figures name saying it also camed packaged a certain way such as a mail in or sears other than a moc in the figures archive. I think having all this info in one place is essential because for one its much quicker than trying to search the site only to find it in the misc section or other. I am going to use a for instance and if you guys like the idea then i will post different items in this thread and maybe when you get some free time they can be moved but only if you like the idea... Ok lets say you are the new guy to yojoe and you know that a scarlett came as a sears catalog figure also,,hmm nothing there when you search the archives, then the search begins on where to find it on this site.The first thing I would do is do a search but even that takes time. All I am trying to do with this is pull up items that could be in a much easier to find spot. There is also a lot of info missing on yojoe as far as mail ins and redbacks which I can contribute a lot to as well as many others. Pretty much once hard to find pics and info is moved back to where its easier to find I can start taking pics of some of my mail in collection to add under the figures name then it can give a small description of what it is. Heres the link for scarlett archives http://yojoe.com/action/82/scarlett.shtml Now it lists how it came such as moc,loose and so on. the mods can take this page and add a link to the photos so it shows all variations but have it from the archives page so all the info is under her name to begine with instead of having to search the site for it.. http://yojoe.com/archive/misc/sears3pack3.shtml I mean granted there are some things that have no category so they fall under misc but to me I thought it would be easier to find under the figures archive. Let me know your thoughts on this because an easy idea from me just may not be practical in your opinion.. If this does pass though I can dig up some links and just add to this post where they could go to make it easier to find and save you guys some time.

Spillspleen
02-22-2005, 11:08 AM
This is something I was wondering as well...!

I would like to see links to all the other team members as well....like Tiger Force...if you pull up Tiger Force Lifeline then a list should be present with the names of the other Tiger Force members.

Same with the red file card back bagged Joes...are they anywhere on the archive? I have looked up several Joes and have yet to see any link or word saying...this figure came bagged with a red back file card...! Am I missing something??

Lastly I would really like the new sculpts to be separate from the old sculpts....so JvC, Spy Troops and VvV all should be in a separate archive...like Sgt. Savage...I do not think to many people would argue that they are a different collection.

thunt4
02-22-2005, 11:15 AM
I think once the first part is done I can supply pics of most of the redbacks and mail ins. If not I know of quite a few members that have those pics. I figures once you pull up the figures name you can see a sentence like this figure was also packaged with a redback filecard. The thing that I don't want to see happen is right away assume its a mail in or sears item. This is the trickiest part for me is determining what is what.So I figure as long as we get some pics up and at least say it comes as a redback also that would be cool for now until we determine what was packaged what way and from who it was packaged that way from. Right off the bat you can open a sears catalog and assume the 6 packs and such were redbacks like snow serpent and so forth and that way it would give a start.

danielmd06
02-22-2005, 12:43 PM
I really agree with the contents of this thread. The first place I (and I bet the vast majority of GI Joe fans) look for any type of information pertinent to the old figures is under the Figure Archives. If Scarlett came mail-order (or whatever variant you wish) on a red-backed filecard then that is where I would logically expect to find it--not under a miscellaneous section off the beaten track. It just seems much more streamlined and user-friendly to have things ordered this way to me.

The same goes for the cardback releases that some of us were discussing earlier.

This is a very do-able (albeit time-consuming) project and I believe it would contribute to improving the Archives. You can never have too much information on GI Joe toys, in my opinion.

Spillspleen
02-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Someone need to make a checklist like page...for red backs...and so on...that would be cool...then have a link to the picutres and so on!

bluebikerboy1
02-24-2005, 10:18 PM
face it. jeff is gone so all of this is going to be a while before anything if anything is done. I would like to see a more complete whobit but for the time being i am having to bear with what is here.

dmooretoys
05-12-2005, 08:57 PM
I think I finally have the webmaster talked into adding a cardback section and I may see if they will also add a section for redbacks. If this does become a reality I will see if I can get my permissions changed so I can add links to the redbacks and cardbacks where the figures are listed. Right now I don't have the permissions set to touch that section. I know this will be a lot of work but I spearheaded this because several collectors have asked for it and I want to finally see just how many explosion backs are really out there.

Dan