sargent savage and extreme? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : sargent savage and extreme?

anna
02-22-2005, 09:33 AM
what did you think of them?

orionlukteel
02-22-2005, 09:59 AM
*ducking* Oh, this could get messy... :D

OK - I personally didn't buy any Extreme figures because the articulation was nil and the expressions were taken directly from any given Rob Liefeld comic book (and you haven't seen HIM around since he tried to resurrect Battlestar Galatica in the 90's). They all looked constipated!

I didn't buy Sgt. Savage because I was getting back into 3-3/4" at the time and they weren't to scale. I bought Sgt. Savage with the video because George Emmons said so. LOL :D Back on r.t.a-f, he wrote a review after coming back from Toy Fair, essentially saying "You WILL Believe!" (After seeing the video and toys, that is)

Unfortunately, the animation was middling to poor (Even the D.I.C. cartoons were better than this!!!) and the figures were a bit disproportionalte. As an example, Sarge must have been pumping serious iron and had size 22 feet for his height.

I get the impression from various comments here that neither line was taken seriously in the Joe community, but that's just my guess!

danyanda
02-22-2005, 10:11 PM
GI Joe extreme was very poor, IMO, and I never bought any.

I really liked Sgt Savage. I loved the realism of the figures but two things did the line in for me. First of all they were not the right size, since they should have be 3 3/4", and secondly they cost too much. I forget how much it was, but I think around $6 each, and that was too much for me at the time.

code red shockwave
02-22-2005, 10:28 PM
GIJOE Extreme was an okay show on TV, and the bad guy figures looked cool. Everything else was pretty much lame. As for Sgt. Savage, I don't think I've ever heard of it.

Rasputin
02-22-2005, 10:31 PM
i love Sgt Savage figures for the facial expression and good sculpting on the limbs and faces

the articulation is kind of crappy because of the oringless design and body looking almost on steroids

i do love the IRON Stormtroops
and collect them
if anybody has the regular black ones
I am always looking for those :)

Lim
02-22-2005, 10:45 PM
The only figure I bought from both lines was Iron Klaw, and I'm still kind of hoping he'd eventually make it into the regular Joe line as some Cobra general or something. I wouldn't mind seeing the Sgt. Savage stuff mixed in either. It loked nice, but just wasn't intresting to me in that scale.

Agent Orange
02-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Curiously enough, the Savage vehicles tend to work better with 3-3/4" figures.

Evil Ryu
02-23-2005, 09:27 AM
The characters were cool for both lines. Unfortunately, the scale was not but I bought some with the video(which I didn't think was that bad and included Hawk and Lady J)at the time anyway. It would have worked better if they were 3 3/4 in. I will describe the extreme line with one word, *UGH*!

gsmiley007
02-23-2005, 01:17 PM
I personal don't like them and don't consider them part of my joe line.

thoughtcrime
02-23-2005, 01:52 PM
I remember seeing piles of Extreme on clearance back in the day at KB, (back in '97, when I was big into Star Wars) and even considered picking up a few for customs, but in the end I didnt and I'm glad.

That being said, the character designs werent all bad. Some of the SKAR guys might have made decent Cobra troops if given the 3 3/4'' treatment.

evan511
02-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Extreme "JUNK"!!!!!!!
I did like Sgt.Savage, but they were the wrong scale. 3 3/4"

mizak23
02-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Let me see, I was ten when Sgt. Savage came out and too that extent still liked joes, I remember getting some for Easter, and I did like them. Infact I wouldn't mind seeing some of the characters incorporated in RAH. Then Extreme came along, I might have liked these if i hadn't gotten into Star Wars. But seeing how I didn't, it was because of their poses. I did get two figures, the Deluxe Iron Klaw, which I still think is cool, and Sgt. Savage, because I knew him. But Now that I'm older and wiser, I have a disdain for anything "Extreme", just don't like the word.

whitedalek
02-24-2005, 12:54 PM
GI Joe Exteme was a nightmare come to life! It was truly awful. Sergeant Savage was actually decent. I don't care much for the scale, but I thought the figs looked cool in a retro, WWII way. I loved the soldiers for the bad guy (I can't remember their name at the second). If there had been more bad guys to collect, I might have gotten more of them. Still, I think I have the whole set buried in my storage unit somewhere.

Deogg
02-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Extreme "JUNK"!!!!!!!

So that would make Sigma Six the Line Killer "Massive Junk" lol.

CGC
05-22-2005, 11:30 AM
From the Savage line, I have all the bad guys, & their I.R.O.N. Panther. I also have a few Extreme figs, but I didn't get them intentionaly, they were part of a lot. The Extreme figs remind me of MOTU, & that really doesn't have any appeal for me.

ridetofight
05-22-2005, 12:37 PM
i just went back into the archives and checked out both lines, since i had no interest in them when they were on shelves. in fact, i was pretty disgusted 3 3/4 was gone, and i blamed it on these jerks. sgt. savage is grossly disproportionate, but i like the wwII theme a lot. the bad guys even come with potato mashers and lugers! i might track down one of the stormtroopers just to have such a cool figure. on the other hand, extreme WAS extreme junk. they look like an early version of rescue heroes (which sell like hot cakes... to 3 and 4 year olds). "hey, i've got a great idea. lets make this new gi joe, lets make them really simple, cus fans have been complaining about the heavy details year in and year out. secondly, they hate the characters, too. snake eyes, stormshadow, duke, they hate them, can't stand them. thirdly, everybody's getting a headache trying to manage all that articulation. its driving them crazy. lets break it down from 12 points to 5 or less. lastly, we need to make a guy named metal head and give him a hippy peace necklace, cus all the kids love that heavy metal hippy music. it is IMPERATIVE that we do exactly this to recreate a new BETTER gi joe. an EXTREEEEEEEME gi joe!" - actual gi joe brand manager quote*

*thats a grossly negligent lie

Jeff Bohn
05-22-2005, 01:05 PM
any given Rob Liefeld comic book (and you haven't seen HIM around since he tried to resurrect Battlestar Galatica in the 90's).

He's still around, just had a decently successful X-Force comic and doing a couple issues of Teen Titans. Sure way to start a six page long debate on any comic book messageboard, bring up Rob (I do have a bit of a soft spot for him, met him once, VERY enthusiastic, just often lacks follow up).

I kinda like Extreme, and to a lesser extent Savage. Wouldn't mind some of those characters showing up in 3 3/4 inch scale. Also wouldn't mind seeing some of the unproduced figures show up, or at least some way for me to get ahold of them without sacrificing an arm and a leg.

Icebreaker
05-22-2005, 01:37 PM
..... The Extreme figs remind me of MOTU, & that really doesn't have any appeal for me.

I guess I never even put those two next to each other, they would work well together!

The actual figures, with limited poseability, and over the top stylizing, just don't get me excited. They look very nice, both Extreme and the Screaming eagles, but the couple I have I just don't have fun with.

Plus, the scale difference keeps them from fitting in with the bulk of my collection which is all 3.75".

So, would I like to have them all? Oh, yeah. And all media related to them.

Am I going out of my way to get this accomplished? No, 3.75" 'joe still takes precedence, and there is a lot more of them that I'm still after.

CGC
05-22-2005, 05:41 PM
I merge the Savage line in with the regular 3¾" line, they just all happen to be 6½-7 feet tall :D , but that's my joeverse, & everyone has to bend the rules in their own way.

Icebreaker - I haven't put MOTU & Extreme side by side, either, I'm not even sure if the articulation is the same. My little brother had He-Man guys as a kid, but I never payed too close attention to them. They have a strong resemblance, at least to me, but I don't know well enough to say with any authority.

SecurityPoliceAF_Joe
05-22-2005, 06:58 PM
I liked the Sgt Savage figures and the one episode they made of the show was OK. I didn't like the Extreme line as much. I only got the figures because I was working at Toys R Us and they were dirt cheap, I think I ended up paying a $1.00 a figure after my employee discount. Now they just sit in a storage shed.

orionlukteel
05-22-2005, 07:40 PM
He's still around, just had a decently successful X-Force comic and doing a couple issues of Teen Titans. Sure way to start a six page long debate on any comic book messageboard, bring up Rob (I do have a bit of a soft spot for him, met him once, VERY enthusiastic, just often lacks follow up).

LOL I know. I've been part of some of those discussions, and a lot of people's opinions there boil down to jealousy. (That Rob is/was working in comics and they're not). I had a serious yen to get into the industry when he was hitting full stride with X-Force and Image, and I always had a good bit of jealousy towards him myself. Now that I realize I'm a complete hack, that jealousy has gone away. :D I know he's capable of more- more differentiation between characters, more detail and less hatching, and that's kind of what I was getting at regarding the Extreme figures - their expressions and poses were fairly homogenous, kind of ironic for a line that was supposed to be "extreme".

So it's nothing personal against Rob - it's a knee-jerk reaction, nothing more.

kinda like Extreme, and to a lesser extent Savage. Wouldn't mind some of those characters showing up in 3 3/4 inch scale. Also wouldn't mind seeing some of the unproduced figures show up, or at least some way for me to get ahold of them without sacrificing an arm and a leg.

Yeah, I was really thrown off at the proportions of both. I understand the need for reinvention, and I understand that they wanted to differentiate the new lines from the 3-3/4" RAH line. It's easy for me as a consumer to play Monday-morning quarterback. I also got sucked into the hype prior to the release, and I guess I was a bit disappointed by the reality.

That doesn't keep me from wanting the Warhawk, or from being curious about the rest of the line. :D

drummer1279
05-22-2005, 11:18 PM
I never paid much attention to the Extreme line. From the few pictures I've seen, I'm not impressed. The Savage line had potential, I liked some of the figures, but the scale just did me in. And the mention of the savage vehicles working better with the smaller Joe's is right on. That's the best part about Sgt. Savage, is the vehicles. They had some pretty decent vehicles, IMHO, and they work great with the smaller Joe's. I wouldn't mind seeing them mixed in with the new line as new figures, as long as they are to scale.

Angry Beef
05-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Extreme was just wrong on so many levels.
One of the early Chap Mei heads looks a lot like Lt. Stone. So I have incorporated that cahracte into my Joeverse. He's pretty much like Barnes from Platoon and is only on the Joe team because the Jugglers demanded it.

Sgt Savage... Like the choir says. Good but in the wrong scale. I'd like to see a con exclusive Sgt Savage in 3 3/4 scale.

jamarmiller
01-29-2006, 06:49 PM
The 1-31-06 Extreme update of the week up!

http://firefly05.proboards39.com/index.cgi?board=extreme&action=display&thread=1131764742

3 Updates this week!

1. Review of Episode 3 Point of Honor posted.

2. Tired of reading info? Want to see a clip of a show for yourself? Tired of Pathetic little 30 second teasers? Fine we take Extreme Measures to please the fans!
There is an Extreme Video Teaser up! For Episode 12: Coup of the Klaw (you don’t want to miss this one folks.) 5 Extreme minutes that will keep your adrenaline pumped to the Extreme!

3. Updated the online GI JOE EXTREME fan Comic thus ending Part 1 of: The S.K.A.R.s’ of Revenge

That’s all for this week go visit the Realm where all things, G.I .Joe, are kept Extreme!

http://firefly05.proboards39.com/index.cgi?board=extreme&action=display&thread=1131764742

LOL I like saying Extreme!

jamarmiller
04-09-2006, 06:33 PM
I have posted the EXTREME UPDATE OF THE WEEK for 4-10-06

This weeks update is : The review with Screen Caps for GI JOE EXTREMEs Episode 4 : Chips and a Cold Cold Drink. with over 20 screen caps

Check it out here: http://firefly05.proboards39.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=extrememedia&thread=1136965590&page=1

I would love to hear what everyone thinks

And if you missed last weeks update its Action Man Episode 1 Explosive situation. See how the Action Man series begins

Here: http://firefly05.proboards39.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=amreviews&thread=1137915947&page=1

Next weeks update will be: Another Action Man Episode: “Soul of Evil” Episode 16

Keep it Extreme!

Chainsaw Viper
04-09-2006, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't mind the Savage and Extreme characters showing up again in RAH or DTC style. There was quite a few good characters in there, I just didn't like the figures that much.

Pyro
04-10-2006, 12:54 AM
I never used the Sgt. Savage. However, I am a huge fan of the G.I. Joe Extreme. I had allot of the figures growing up and they were fun.

msv
04-10-2006, 12:57 PM
I thought the media for extreme and savage were good. The figures should have definitely been more poseble. I'm actually looking to armybuild 9 first series D-Days with helmet for a wwII dio, please let me know if anybody has any for sale dirt cheap.

Jack
04-10-2006, 04:28 PM
I took one look at the Extreme line and passed. It did nothing for me. I did pick up a few things from the Savage line. I found the Commando Savage, the P-40 and General Blitz on clearance at a KB. I like them other than the fact that they aren't in scale with the RAH as others have said.

GIJoeCollector
04-10-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't have any of the Extreme items, although my little brother wound up with a bunch of them when they went on clearence. I do have two Savage figs though... Commando Sgt. Savage, cuz he just looked cool and the mail-in Desert Camo Sgt. Savage... got that one in a lot of other MISB Joe items.

YELSEW
04-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Extreme "JUNK"!!!!!!!
I did like Sgt.Savage, but they were the wrong scale. 3 3/4"

I will go with what you said JUNK!

orionlukteel
04-10-2006, 05:39 PM
I just got a carded Iron Stormtrooper as part of a lot, and he's kinda cool. :D
Looks a little more freaky in the illustration, but I like the figure as a whole. Even if he is the wrong scale.

cobra comander
04-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Anna, clean out your inbox.

Thank you. pm me when you do, thanks. ^_^

Falcone
04-11-2006, 03:14 PM
I remember seeing piles of Extreme on clearance back in the day at KB, (back in '97, when I was big into Star Wars) and even considered picking up a few for customs, but in the end I didnt and I'm glad.

That being said, the character designs werent all bad. Some of the SKAR guys might have made decent Cobra troops if given the 3 3/4'' treatment.

they wuld have been awsome cobra troops:D

jamarmiller
04-13-2006, 07:47 PM
The toys sucked but the show was awesome

jamarmiller
04-13-2006, 07:48 PM
ya the villians were probally the best thing

I am a big fan of the SHOW hated the toys and the comics were okay

the show was by far the best written and most adult themed gi joe series we have ever gotten, most people havent seen season 2 and season 2 was really good..

some of these villians would be awesome to see make a return in the 4 inch format in DTC. My favorite female villain of all time is Steel Raven

by the way I am looking for people that would be willing to do a review of a episode of GI JOE EXTREME for me to post on my site.

I have season one available right now and will have season two so if someone doesnt have these or have never seen them let me know in a PM and I will see what I can do. I just need a review in return

Patrick A. Riley
04-13-2006, 08:00 PM
The only good things to come out of this were:

1- The machine gun that came with Sgt. Savage (perfect for Kwinn)

2- The fact that both lines failed miserably and the true G.I. Joe came back in 1997. But what might have been had someone at Hasbro had any sense and kept the real line going.....the world will never know

Having these associated with G.I. Joe... blasphemous. Give me the Street Fighters and Mortal Kombat! ;)

jamarmiller
04-13-2006, 08:07 PM
The extreme line was actually planned to be a continuation of the original joe line, Hawk was originally intended to be the Clancy type character in the series to establish some more continuity between the series

but you can read all about that in my interview with Buzz Dixon on the series here :

http://firefly05.proboards39.com/index.cgi?board=extrememedia&action=display&thread=1136943127

just scroll down to the proper post!

THe toys are what killed most peoples opinion on the series and justifiably so. The toys were bad but again I maintain the show kicked butt!

if they had been done in the 4 inch size of RAH I think people would have thought completely different about the series

scm
04-13-2006, 09:38 PM
they were ok I had a few of the toys from the two lines

jamarmiller
04-13-2006, 09:41 PM
I actually have all the toys except the jet that was released and still in the packages but I only got them because I was a collector of all things JOE back then. but that is the only reason,