Anyone excited about the new line? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Anyone excited about the new line?

performula
02-23-2005, 10:01 AM
I have seen a ton of hate posts to Hasbro with this and that. Lets go the other route with a positive thread.

Hasbro has not abandoned GI Joe, they are trying to revive, yes revive the line. Hasbro deserves credit for an attempt especially with the new cartoon to be released along side the figures. Hasbro is not answering my or our complete list of wishes, however they are answering them. Since I've joined the board I have heard how much we had wished that a new cartoon would come out and how great new figures would be. Poof! wish granted and yet we still complain? The same characters are being made with a new look, scale, and some keeping their old costumes. My father did the same to me, frowning upon the new GI Joe of our generation and we will do the same to the generation after us. However, we are lucky, we get to keep our old Joes. The revamp looks good to me and is a step closer to keeping a dying line, alive.

romanoaj
02-23-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm not excited by the line, BUT (since we're being positive), I am excited about the cartoon.

I will not buy the new line because every purchase is a vote.

orionlukteel
02-23-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm excited about the new line mainly because I have a 10-year old son, one of the main target audience. And HE'S excited about it - he keeps asking me when they're coming out. Oh, he'll still ask for and play with the 3-3/4" line, but he's diggin' Sigma Six.

Deogg
02-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Absolutely NOT.

Nomad
02-23-2005, 11:23 AM
I am. If you discount what's going on with the 3 3/4" line, the Sigma 6 figures look pretty cool. Heavy Duty looks mean enough to rip someone's arm off and beat them with it - thats definite cool points in my view :D

DacaZ
02-23-2005, 11:49 AM
The new figures don't look like GI Joe to me, and since the cartoon is going to be based on these character designs, I can't say I'm looking forward to either the figures or the cartoon.

rah-digga
02-23-2005, 12:05 PM
The cartoon will look like the Disney version of Small Soilders

Jeff Bohn
02-23-2005, 12:20 PM
I am. If you discount what's going on with the 3 3/4" line, the Sigma 6 figures look pretty cool. Heavy Duty looks mean enough to rip someone's arm off and beat them with it - thats definite cool points in my view :D

Unfortunately, he'll have to tear off Storm Shadow's arm over and over again for months until we get a second wave since we are only getting one villain with not much else in scale.

I'm not excited, but interested. Looking forward to the new cartoon and seeing how it fits with anything.

I can't discount what's going on with the 3 3/4" line. "Hiatus" and "furlough" are words that bother me, I've seen a lot of things not come back from hiatus. I do have faith that the small joes will be back at some point though, hopefully better than before.

Rotty
02-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Oh, I'm still holding out hope that the GI Joe anime will well-written and directed, but I have no love for these toys. If they were going to be 6" and sell at the same price as Marvel Legends, I could at least wish the line success and speculate that this could become the GI Joe for today's kids, just as 12" soldiers and adventurers were GI Joe for kids born between '55 and '70 and 3 3/4" RAH has been GI Joe for kids born between '75 and ???. This, though, is just Hasbro hubris. They don't feel like they're turning enough of a profit on 1:18 figure 2-packs with an MSRP of $7, so they're cancelling that line in favor of the smallest scale they think retailers can sell for $15. Children may be naive, Hasbro, but they're not that naive. :rolleyes:

rjluna
02-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Absolutely NOT.

......why im i not surprised....

msv
02-23-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm probably just going to buy Stormshadow but I will record the cartoon onto video no matter how bad it might be.

Bryon
02-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Cartoon: VERY excited, especially since I have a 6 year old (almost 7) son who will enjoy it.

Character selection: VERY excited. I am SOOOO glad this didn't switch to another batch of unrecognizable characters (like Savage and Extreme). Duke, Snake-Eyes, and Heavy Duty are 3 of my son's top 5 Joe characters. He's hoping we will see a Shipwreck and Scarlett. Spirit is OK, too, as long as he is more tracker/fighter than medicine man.

Looks/colors of the figures: "Cool" according to my son. "OK" to me.

Size of figures: VERY disappointed. Over the past year, my son and I have begun to rebuild the collection I amassed from '82 through '94 (and sold the year he was born). We enjoy playing with these together. When I told my son that the new figures were going to be twice the size of his current toys, he was VERY disappointed. He actually got choked up and started to get tears in his eyes. We are both hoping we get Sigma 6 figures in the 3 3/4 inch scale in 2006. In the meantime, we will enjoy the toon and collect only the old figures on ebay.

Rotty
02-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Cartoon: VERY excited, especially since I have a 6 year old (almost 7) son who will enjoy it.

Character selection: VERY excited. I am SOOOO glad this didn't switch to another batch of unrecognizable characters (like Savage and Extreme). Duke, Snake-Eyes, and Heavy Duty are 3 of my son's top 5 Joe characters. He's hoping we will see a Shipwreck and Scarlett. Spirit is OK, too, as long as he is more tracker/fighter than medicine man.

Size of figures: VERY disappointed. Over the past year, my son and I have begun to rebuild the collection I amassed from '82 through '94 (and sold the year he was born). We enjoy playing with these together. When I told my son that the new figures were going to be twice the size of his current toys, he was VERY disappointed. He actually got choked up and started to get tears in his eyes.

... I think this pretty much says it all. Good work, Hasbro. :(
Here's hoping your son gets to buy 3 3/4" Joes in their animation uniforms, Bryon.

bigklop
02-23-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm interested, and will check out the cartoon.....but I doubt I'll collect the figures. 8" figures just aren't my cup of tea. If they looked like they do but were 3 3/4", I would probably buy them. I have an 8 year old son though, so we'll see if he's interested at all since he is the target audience.

At $14.99, I feel that is a little too much for one figure....

joeboy75
02-23-2005, 05:07 PM
I would like to find something possitive out of this but I can't really find anything. The 3 3/4 inch scale with I think defines the line is gone. Along with the ability to make just about every type of vehicle and playset. And at it's rediculous price of $14.99 per figure I won't be wasting money on them. I just think the whole deal is a mistake.

We Turn Away
02-23-2005, 05:40 PM
not in the least.... I still can't stand the new sculpts. I've always liked the 21st Century and BBI stuff...now I've got a reason to collect those.

YoJoeNCSU
02-23-2005, 05:57 PM
I'm mildy excited about it, but its enought to keep me interested. I always like to see new ideas they come up with. But, like others, the $15 a figure would keep me from buying them just because they are 'gi joe brand'. I can't tell from the pictures how articulated they are, but if they are comparable(articulation, not size wise) to the ML figs I'll probably get them.

Def looking forward to the new cartoon though.

I see no reason to hate on it until I see it for myself. Its not as if Hasbro has a secret quasi nazi police force that is going to come and take all my old joes away...I'll still have them so I'm not gonna complain about not making new figures for a while.

BelgianGabber
02-23-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm not that excited about the toys itself, more exited about the cartoon. Especially about what the influence will be on the kids. This actually might be a pretty good move to get youngsters into joes, 3 3/4 too.

thorn
02-23-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm not that excited about the toys itself, more exited about the cartoon. Especially about what the influence will be on the kids.

this is where i stand on it.

i am Blown away that we are gonna get a fULL ON cartoon again, give it some time and the kids will be screaming for joes we all want. im sure i will end up with a couple sigma figures anyway.
i bet the cartoon is pretty good.

zartan15
02-23-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm diggin on spirit, snake eyes (who needs his wolf), and storm shadow. now maybe a zartan an a v1 eel or some such? 1 bad guy, 6 good guys? try a bit better balance. and $15 is a bit much, but 6 every 6-8 months'd be ok. and 8" is kindy sketchy. I'd like it better at 6 or 5 1/2" to use woth like marvel legends or motu.

odinson999
02-24-2005, 12:22 AM
I will catch the cartoon and if the cartoon is cool, I'll give the figures a look see and then decide then to buy. It'll be a game time decision.

I still hold out hope that he original scale figures will return and this experiment was just a marketing test or an augmentation to the current lines.

Deogg
02-24-2005, 02:23 AM
Oh I'm excited alright.........excited to watch it TANK miserably. Maybe then Hasbro will figure it out and say to themselves "we screwed up". ;)

Crimson Immortal
02-24-2005, 05:12 AM
GI JOE has been tanking/sucking for a long time now,thats why I been out of the game for the past 6 months after i finished my collection of old figures.Just had enough with all the new lame crap they been releasing,nothing got any better.

The new 8" figures are junk.As for the cartoon,i doubt it will last a season.

kuters
02-24-2005, 05:59 AM
only if they did not make snake eyes to short they shrunk the figures i hate that.

tstorm_75
02-24-2005, 08:50 AM

Size of figures: VERY disappointed. Over the past year, my son and I have begun to rebuild the collection I amassed from '82 through '94 (and sold the year he was born). We enjoy playing with these together. When I told my son that the new figures were going to be twice the size of his current toys, he was VERY disappointed. He actually got choked up and started to get tears in his eyes. We are both hoping we get Sigma 6 figures in the 3 3/4 inch scale in 2006. In the meantime, we will enjoy the toon and collect only the old figures on ebay.

I agree with everything except the character selection. I think a more balanced first wave or a c.o.b.r.a. heavy first wave would be the way to go. The price is what scares me. Why would any kid want one Joe figure for 15 bucks when he can get two Marvel or JLA for the same price. That and because of the sixe difference you won't see kids crossing lines. I know I put my Star Wars guys fighting right along side my Joes when I was a kid. And I have seen my nephew and his friends do the same thing as long as the size is about the same.

DacaZ
02-24-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure why some people are looking forward to the cartoon to get kids interested in Joe. As far as I can see it, if the cartoon is a huge hit, that means all the kids are going to want will be these sucky 8" anime sculpts.

By that thinking, I almost have to hope the cartoon fails miserably, and Hasbro retreats to the old format again. As negative as it sounds, that seems like the best possible scenerio to me.

flash70
02-24-2005, 01:11 PM
No I'm not "excited" about the new line.

So happy days Hasbro when you loose all that money.:)

BelgianGabber
02-24-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure why some people are looking forward to the cartoon to get kids interested in Joe. As far as I can see it, if the cartoon is a huge hit, that means all the kids are going to want will be these sucky 8" anime sculpts.

If the cartoon hits, chances are a lot of kids will get 3 3/4 figs too. And they never would have got them into buying them without this 'move'.

cobraferret
02-24-2005, 06:49 PM
A whole bunch of people in the 80's said that the 3 3/4" line would tank,and now look.
Granted I think hasbro should do the 8" line,but also keep the 3 3/4" line as well.
Unfortunatly Hasbro is all about money(it's a business).I wish they would listen to the fans a bit more though.They listened about the star wars vintage.I wish they would listen about the 80's vintage.I personally really do not like anime.
I will watch it,but $15.00 a figure is sick.It's like the $30.00+ dollars for the new generation 1 transformer remakes.It reminds me when I was a kid and coudn't afford the $2.00 a figure.It seems like toy's are for the rich.Or a poor family will have to take a loan out for Christmas.The economy is bad because of everybody jacking up the prices on everything.The only reason toy stores or retail stores go out of business is because they refuse to lower prices and the great "evil" walmart sops it up.Does anyone really think that walmart isn't going to raise prices when everyone is out of business?I think not.I might pick up a storm shadow 8" or a snake eyes,but that's it.

performula
02-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Hasbro might kill the whole line completely if these figures do not take off. Does everyone want that?

3.75 or none at all? That reminds me of the sick saying, "If I can't have you - no one can!"

Agent Orange
02-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Hasbro might kill the whole line completely if these figures do not take off. Does everyone want that?

3.75 or none at all? That reminds me of the sick saying, "If I can't have you - no one can!"

And if this line takes off, we are GUARANTEED not to see any more 3.75 figures.

Is that what you want?

BelgianGabber
02-25-2005, 12:53 PM
And if this line takes off, we are GUARANTEED not to see any more 3.75 figures.

Is that what you want?

That is your opinion, as he gave his opinion.

I think he made a good point (preformula). If this takes off, they might come back. If this doesn't take off, why would the risk loosing more one the 3 3/4 inch figures. They didn't sell very good before, why would they sell good within a couple of months...

antybots
02-25-2005, 01:07 PM
I think they look pretty good although I have no interest in collecting them.
I only collect 3 3/4" joes.

Pete The Greek
02-25-2005, 01:34 PM
At least there will be a cartoon on TV. If amine style, I rather watch paint dry. I don't like bug eyed characters.

Anyways, nature will take it's course. I suspect the line will not met Hasbro's expectations in terms of sales, considering they have to build support from the ground up. They won't get support from 12" and 3 3/4 collectors, considering they claim we don't represent a significant market in the first place. Selling the Sigma figures for 15 US + taxes is suicide to get a toy line off the ground. Toys today are just a hard sell for kids. I just don't see parents shelling out 15 bucks on a toy with the way the American economy is.

So how can I be excited to watch something bomb. It's like the XFL, where everybody new it was going to tank sooner than later. GI JOE Extreme even had a cartoon and less of the distractions in 1996 from electronic gadgets that kids are into nowadays. Sorry to be negative, but that is the way I see it. Too many warning signs pointing in the wrong direction.

Dreadnok4life
02-25-2005, 01:38 PM
That is your opinion, as he gave his opinion.

I think he made a good point (preformula). If this takes off, they might come back. If this doesn't take off, why would the risk loosing more one the 3 3/4 inch figures. They didn't sell very good before, why would they sell good within a couple of months...

Who said the 3 3/4" line didn't sell very well? I don't think I have seen any information that implied that. You are assuming they canceled the 3 3/4" line because it lost Hasbro money. That couldn't be further from the truth. I believe Hasbro thinks this line will be "hipper" and thus outsell the old line. That doesn't mean Hasbro was losing money.

I am upset with Sigma Six not because it exists, but because it replaced the traditional 3 3/4" line and the 12" line. Hasbro has betrayed the long time 12" collectors and the 3 3/4" collectors by dropping this on them without warning or more detailed explanation. The very limited information we received from Hasbro was basically the old lines may return, or they may not. I personally think, as someone who has collected GI Joe since 1969 when I got my first 12" figure as a kid, I deserve more than that.

Now this last thought of mine is not meant in any way as a slight to anyone. But this is my opinion and I want to share it. I have noticed a few of the Euro Joe fans are far more forgiving with Hasbro, and Devils Due for that matter, than the majority of the American fans. I think the fundamental difference of opinions are culture based. In America if some guy walks up to your wife and grabs her butt, the commonly accepted, and expected response is to punch the guy as hard as you can in the face. That is America. We see things in black and white terms. Either it's right, or it's not. In my admittedly limited travels to Europe, I have noticed Euros are more open minded about things and less quick to anger. They seem to be more accepting of bad news than Americans.

This appears to be the case here. As an American collector I am angry with Hasbro. But from the few Euro collector posts I've read on here, it would appear they have put a happy spin on it. Neither of these diverse opinions are wrong, or right. It's just the way we think. I think it's evident in current world affairs and in the toy department.

Dreadnok4life
02-25-2005, 01:40 PM
At least there will be a cartoon on TV. If amine style, I rather watch paint dry. I don't like bug eyed characters.

Anyways, nature will take it's course. I suspect the line will not met Hasbro's expectations in terms of sales, considering they have to build support from the ground up. They won't get support from 12" and 3 3/4 collectors, considering they claim we don't represent a significant market in the first place. Selling the Sigma figures for 15 US + taxes is suicide to get a toy line off the ground. Toys today are just a hard sell for kids. I just don't see parents shelling out 15 bucks on a toy with the way the American economy is.

So how can I be excited to watch something bomb. It's like the XFL, where everybody new it was going to tank sooner than later. GI JOE Extreme even had a cartoon and less of the distractions in 1996 from electronic gadgets that kids are into nowadays. Sorry to be negative, but that is the way I see it. Too many warning signs pointing in the wrong direction.

Good post. I agree 100%.

BelgianGabber
02-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Who said the 3 3/4" line didn't sell very well? I don't think I have seen any information that implied that. You are assuming they canceled the 3 3/4" line because it lost Hasbro money. That couldn't be further from the truth. I believe Hasbro thinks this line will be "hipper" and thus outsell the old line. That doesn't mean Hasbro was losing money.

I am upset with Sigma Six not because it exists, but because it replaced the traditional 3 3/4" line and the 12" line. Hasbro has betrayed the long time 12" collectors and the 3 3/4" collectors by dropping this on them without warning or more detailed explanation. The very limited information we received from Hasbro was basically the old lines may return, or they may not. I personally think, as someone who has collected GI Joe since 1969 when I got my first 12" figure as a kid, I deserve more than that.

Now this last thought of mine is not meant in any way as a slight to anyone. But this is my opinion and I want to share it. I have noticed a few of the Euro Joe fans are far more forgiving with Hasbro, and Devils Due for that matter, than the majority of the American fans. I think the fundamental difference of opinions are culture based. In America if some guy walks up to your wife and grabs her butt, the commonly accepted, and expected response is to punch the guy as hard as you can in the face. That is America. We see things in black and white terms. Either it's right, or it's not. In my admittedly limited travels to Europe, I have noticed Euros are more open minded about things and less quick to anger. They seem to be more accepting of bad news than Americans.

This appears to be the case here. As an American collector I am angry with Hasbro. But from the few Euro collector posts I've read on here, it would appear they have put a happy spin on it. Neither of these diverse opinions are wrong, or right. It's just the way we think. I think it's evident in current world affairs and in the toy department.

This has nothing, and really nothing to do with difference in culture. This is MY personal opinion. How are you going to involve 'us' being more forgiving in this new sigma six debate??? Jeesh.

And as far as Gi joe not being sold well in Belgium and The Netherlands, everything was sold at extremely low prices to get rid of it:

snow cat, rattler, night attack chopper (which cost 40 euro or 50$ in the beginning) now ALL were sold for 5 euro (7$) in one chain, and 10 euro (13$) or so in another chain.

Fact is it didn't sold well here

Crimson Immortal
02-25-2005, 03:26 PM
From what i gathered the line has not been a big hit.Sides they dont stop production of 3 3/4" and 12" figures who have a tremedous base for nothing you know.Doest work that way.

1 )the sales where poor cause their products where poor,and 2)Hasbro is trying another one of their harebrained schemes with the taller figures to compete with Marvel legends and DC Direct,hasbro are tread hopers nothing more.

I dont understand the big emphases on cartoons,"Masters of the Universe" and "Ninja Turtles" came back with Cartoons and they werent all that great.

If its a CGI cartoon it will be terrible,sides it will no doubt be laughably corny, we will never get a GI JOE cartoon in the vain of Batman the Animated Series or Gargoyles from the 1990's..So who cares!