profanity? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : profanity?

snappy80
02-28-2005, 10:45 PM
I've been a lurker for awhile, but I think this is my first post. I don't mean to sound preachy, but what's with the new members lately with the 666 in their usernames? I find that a lot more offensive than any 4-letter word that might slip now anf then. I don't know if it would be profanity or religious or what, but for how strict the mods seem to be with some rules, I'm surprised that this can slide. :cool:

acmirro
02-28-2005, 11:06 PM
I've been a lurker for awhile, but I think this is my first post. I don't mean to sound preachy, but what's with the new members lately with the 666 in their usernames? I find that a lot more offensive than any 4-letter word that might slip now anf then. I don't know if it would be profanity or religious or what, but for how strict the mods seem to be with some rules, I'm surprised that this can slide. :cool:

You are intilted to your opinion. They are just 3 numbers in a row.

They arent banned on any by FCC regulation, and they are allowed on daytime television. 666, 125, 132, 156, 598, 903, 579, 368, 212, 121, 556, 777, 233, all follow the lines that we try to follow on this board. And those lines follow the "rated PG" trend.

snappy80
02-28-2005, 11:19 PM
that's true, but what about Snake-Eyes01 (a moderator) avatar? it says Vote for Pedro, isn't that political? and if 3 numbers in a row don't mean anything, why would a short string if characters from shifting your numbers be so offensive? you can see that in the sunday funnies.

i'm just trying to point out something that is actually offensive, where a lot of what isn't allowed seems like henpecking on little oversights that nobody but a mod would notice

sinnister
02-28-2005, 11:20 PM

They arent banned on any by FCC regulation, and they are allowed on daytime television. 666, 125, 132, 156, 598, 903, 579, 368, 212, 121, 556, 777, 233, all follow the lines that we try to follow on this board. And those lines follow the "rated PG" trend.

Numbers in a row dont offend me...neither does swearing or any mention of anyones 'god'. However...by your arguement, 'religion' is allowed on daytime television. So is the 'D' word, the 'H' word, and a few 'B' words. All are rated PG. Watch any soap opera and you will hear worse.

acmirro
02-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Numbers in a row dont offend me...neither does swearing or any mention of anyones 'god'. However...by your arguement, 'religion' is allowed on daytime television. So is the 'D' word, the 'H' word, and a few 'B' words. All are rated PG. Watch any soap opera and you will hear worse.

Thats a different topic. Religion is not allowed here because when it was allowed people could not talk about it with out the thread blowing up. Same with any political thread.

You dont talk about those things in a bar because they cause fights. Same holds true here.

As for "Vote For Pedro"

Who says he isnt looking for Votes in the MVP poll?

LETS GO METS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

review-this
02-28-2005, 11:24 PM

there are a few curse words that you can say in the "rated PG" format.
you don't allow those.
Christ is not banned on any by FCC regulation, is it?
but if we use that word the thead gets closed.

just my 2 cents

snappy80
02-28-2005, 11:24 PM
but those 3 numbers in a row are religious

sinnister
02-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Thats a different topic. Religion is not allowed here because when it was allowed people could not talk about it with out the thread blowing up. Same with any political thread.

You dont talk about those things in a bar because they cause fights. Same holds true here.

As for "Vote For Pedro"

Who says he isnt looking for Votes in the MVP poll?

LETS GO METS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasnt referring to just 'religion'. By your arguement in your first post...anything not banned by the FCC would be allowed in this forum. Religion and politics aside...that would mean the H word, D word and several others would be allowed by yours and the FCC's standard.

acmirro
02-28-2005, 11:27 PM
i'm just trying to point out something that is actually offensive, where a lot of what isn't allowed seems like henpecking on little oversights that nobody but a mod would notice

If we took out everything that offended someone we would be sitting on a blank webpage.

Some people find the color green offensive. Does that mean we have to change the forum?

Some people find eating meat offensive, does that we need to remove all talk about McDonalds?

We have to draw the line somewhere.

sinnister
02-28-2005, 11:30 PM
If we took out everything that offended someone we would be sitting on a blank webpage.

Some people find the color green offensive. Does that mean we have to change the forum?

Some people find eating meat offensive, does that we need to remove all talk about McDonalds?

Hehe, Politics aren't allowed...but 'political' answers are! :D

snappy80
02-28-2005, 11:31 PM

so it's drawn to leave out humorous explitive marks to imply off-color words, but it will allow satanic references? doesn't seem to add up

thunt4
02-28-2005, 11:34 PM
I Think the thing to look at is the guy can have 666 in a user name.Now if that person posted about his name and saying 666 was a religious thing then i am sure a mod would shut it down but when its in a user name its just a number. I think when they say religion they mean in a post talking about things and not the name. Its not they don't have anything against religion but like he said everytime it comes up a big mess starts and this is a gijoe board where people are just trying to have some fun with there hobby. You guys have to realize the number one reason they have a lot of rules is because young kids come on the board and they want to keep it family friendly.

acmirro
02-28-2005, 11:36 PM
so it's drawn to leave out humorous explitive marks to imply off-color words, but it will allow satanic references? doesn't seem to add up

Who said it was a satanic reference? How do you know it is not part of his luggage combination? His password to a forum? The amount of money he spent on a figure?

Just because you see it as a satanic term, doesnt mean it is.

Saying **** means ****.

review-this
02-28-2005, 11:37 PM

that's neither here nor there.
the number 666 is religious to Christians and devil worshippers.

by allowing 666 can I change my name to Review Jesus?

I think I should, if we can have a religious reference to the beast from the new testament, why not the star?

acmirro
02-28-2005, 11:38 PM
Hehe, Politics aren't allowed...but 'political' answers are! :D

Are you saying I have a chance at the White House??? ;)

snappy80
02-28-2005, 11:39 PM
well, if i took my telephone number and checked to see what it would spell, if it was 4 letters long and started with an f, i'll bet it wouldn't work for a user name, even if it doesnt mean anything other than i have poor judgement and a weird phone number

sinnister
02-28-2005, 11:40 PM

I think I should, if we can have a religious reference to the beast from the new testament, why not the star?

And if someone asks you remember....'It's not religious....it's what you named your custom Joe!'

acmirro

If you want to review the baseball history of Jesus Alou, go for it. Ill start the topic.

Jesus Alou
Jesus Maria Rojas Alou (Jay)
born Jesus Maria Rojas Alou

Bats Right, Throws Right
Height 6' 2", Weight 195 lb.

Debut September 10, 1963
Final Game September 29, 1979
Born March 24, 1942 in Haina, D.R.

review-this
Who said it was a satanic reference? How do you know it is not part of his luggage combination? His password to a forum? The amount of money he spent on a figure?

Just because you see it as a satanic term, doesnt mean it is.

Saying **** means ****.

i know a dude named Jesus, so i might get me a new name going.

Jesus was a friend of mine in third grade.

and i thought passwords had to be 4 letters long?

snappy80
02-28-2005, 11:41 PM
If you want to review the baseball history of Jesus Alou, go for it. Ill start the topic.

Jesus Alou
Jesus Maria Rojas Alou (Jay)
born Jesus Maria Rojas Alou

Bats Right, Throws Right
Height 6' 2", Weight 195 lb.

Debut September 10, 1963
Final Game September 29, 1979
Born March 24, 1942 in Haina, D.R.
oh yaeh, thats directly related to this topic :rolleyes:

review-this
02-28-2005, 11:43 PM
if i had done that it would get closed.
hypocritical, no police to police the police :)

Ann G
02-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Well...666 to many is a number. There are like 2 members in the WHOLE communty I can think of off hand. Shall I ban 13 for being unlucky or 40 and 7 because the are biblical and it would offend a non-Christian. Pardon my ignorance of numbers significant in other religious books.

If you want me to start banning people over possibly religious stuff...there are two members with "reverend" in their name...or is that not offensive to you..it is a job title afterall. Neither one seems to have been banned..so if these people are reverends..they have kept any religious opinions to themselves.

There is a "FatherLove" on a board that doesn't allow politics..and he seems to discusses comics and leaves the religion alone. I think his title does have to do with his job..I am pretty sure he does do ministry work.

We are a little more lax with names. I suppose if someone wanted to be "Jesusfreak7" or "Republicanjoefan" it would be ok as long as they do not start discussions about religion or politics. I don't forsee us allowing a curseword as a name as that offends a MUCH MUCH larger group of people and there is the whole PG thing.

As for cussing, I do know some servers prefer NOT to have cussing on their websites. When I was moderator at HQ when Walt owned it, he said his server did not like cussing on the board. As for being strict with banning cusswords, it was a rule made awhile back and the mods at the time were sick of posting stickies, giving warnings, and editing threads. The threat of a one week ban sure did curb the potty mouth posts a lot.

acmirro
02-28-2005, 11:46 PM
oh yaeh, thats directly related to this topic :rolleyes:

It is related. I am saying that it isn’t always black and white. There is a middle ground. If you want to talk about Jesus Alou, that fine, baseball talk is ok. If you want to talk about Jesus Christ, expect the thread to be locked.

To the best of my knowledge the people with 666 in their names never said it was about the devil.

snappy80
02-28-2005, 11:47 PM
i don't think anyone should be banned for it, but i don't think it's appropriate, simply point out that they should change names

it's been said many times, this is meant to be a family friendly board, and i don't see complacency toward signs of the antichrist as being very wholesome

review-this
02-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Well...666 to many is a number. There are like 2 members in the WHOLE communty I can think of off hand. Shall I ban 13 for being unlucky or 40 and 7 because the are biblical and it would offend a non-Christian. Pardon my ignorance of numbers significant in other religious books.

If you want me to start banning people over possibly religious stuff...there are two members with "reverend" in their name...or is that not offensive to you..it is a job title afterall. Neither one seems to have been banned..so if these people are reverends..they have kept any religious opinions to themselves.

There is a "FatherLove" on a board that doesn't allow politics..and he seems to discusses comics and leaves the religion alone. I think his title does have to do with his job..I am pretty sure he does do ministry work.

We are a little more lax with names. I suppose if someone wanted to be "Jesusfreak7" or "Republicanjoefan" it would be ok as long as they do not start discussions about religion or politics. I don't forsee us allowing a curseword as a name as that offends a MUCH MUCH larger group of people and there is the whole PG thing.

As for cussing, I do know some servers prefer NOT to have cussing on their websites. When I was moderator at HQ when Walt owned it, he said his server did not like cussing on the board. As for being strict with banning cusswords, it was a rule made awhile back and the mods at the time were sick of posting stickies, giving warnings, and editing threads. The threat of a one week ban sure did curb the potty mouth posts a lot.

acmirro said a four letter word, is he getting a week ban?
no?
cause it got caught?
or because he's a mod?
whatever it may be, the mods are very tough on others but not on themselves.

my ten cents

acmirro
02-28-2005, 11:50 PM
acmirro said a four letter word, is he getting a week ban?
no?
cause it got caught?
or because he's a mod?
whatever it may be, the mods are very tough on others but not on themselves.

my ten cents

I’m no hypocrite. I’ll see you in 7 days.

review-this
02-28-2005, 11:52 PM
I’m no hypocrite. I’ll see you in 7 days.
are you banning me or yourself?

snappy80
02-28-2005, 11:55 PM
i don't know who said any 4 letter word in this thread, i guess i missed it

Ann G
02-28-2005, 11:57 PM
Review this...in light of not being hyporcritical...AC "banned" himself for the week.

He can't ban himself, arbut he will not post until March 7, tueday morning, 12:04 a.m. central time of next week.

review-this
03-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Review this...in light of not being hyporcritical...AC "banned" himself for the week.

He can't ban himself, but he will not post until tueday morning 12:04 central time

if he can do it a whole week i'll change my signature to acmirro is not i hypocrite.

snappy80
03-01-2005, 12:02 AM
anyway, my point to begin with was this:

those 3 numbers in a row definately are religious, and they definately are offensive

maybe not to everybody, but what is religious will be different to everybody, and what's offensive will vary an awful lot from one person to another.

srting together as many f-words as you want, it won't bother me at all, but it wouldn't make for a very wholesome environment

different religions have different views on things, and obviously there's no way to cover everything, but since most members of this board are american, and christianity is the largest organized religion in america, i think that this one can't be reasonably overlooked

Ann G
03-01-2005, 12:15 AM
The Religion Rule states

No DISCUSSION about politics or religion is allowed, as these topics tend to lead to flame wars.
-if you want to name yourself something religious or political fine..but DON'T discuss religion or politics in a thread.

The curseword rule states
Profanity IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Do not try to slip past the filters by misspelling a word or substituting an asterisk. If you think a word may be borderline, don't use it.
-as in DO NOT curse..period..not in your name, not in your post, etc..if it is public don't do it.

As it is, this thread is just going to keep going and going and going like a bad energizer commercial. So I am laying it to rest.

dockingbay97
03-01-2005, 01:49 AM
So I am laying it to rest.

But I need to say - yee gads people! - been a week since Toy Fair and you need to start drama over something else?

Yee Gads

Yee Gads

Yee Gads

Sorry if I offended either the Yees or the Gads.