View Full Version : Toy Budget?

CGC
03-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Does anyone here have a set "Toy Budget"? A certain amount each month, or out of each paycheck, that you dedicate towards getting more Joes (or any other toys that you collect), but that you don't allow yourself to go over? Do you just wing it, if you've got a couple bucks in your pocket, you go out hunting for things you haven't gotten yet? Will the line hold affect what you spend (or, at least what you plan to spend)? There'll probably be nothing new at retail for awhile, so most new aquisitions would probably be from things like trades here, or ebay, or similar places. There will probably be less impulse buys. I don't really set a budget for myself, I guess if I've got a little slack, I can get new toys, but if I'm broke this week, well, too bad.

Obiwanjacoby
03-06-2005, 10:27 AM
I used to have a strict budget (wife + tight leash = $25/week). Anything I wanted over that amount I had to save up. Recently though, I've been buying in lots and reselling the extras.

Medium size lots are so overlooked nowadays, I'm getting like, three mid-'80s vehicles for $10-20 on ebay. I can get rid of the extras real quick for less than online retail.

The result is that after I re-sell the extras, I'm now taking in more money than I pay out in Joes, while my Joe intake remains constant.

Whoo-Hoo! Defiant, here I come! :cool:

-PJ

orionlukteel
03-06-2005, 10:40 AM
No, the new line won't affect my spending in the least.

Like PJ, I buy mid-size lots, mostly parts, and complete what I need and sell off the extras for super cheap.

My fixed "allowance" is $50/week, which I can save up or use for scattered auctions. That's primarily set by rent, car payments, gas, food, etc.

I can honestly say I used to spend outside my means for toys. Not a good idea. Sure, every six months when the toy show came around I could make $800-$1000 in a weekend with a small amount of stuff, but it's not worth trashing one's credit rating. The return on the "investment" isn't *that* good.

So having a modest weekly budget, augmented by whatever extra I might make on eBay (which ain't a lot - I don't make much more than "overhead" costs, i.e. original purchase price plus postage), is a really good - and workable - idea.

sinnister
03-06-2005, 11:37 AM
I dont really have a preset budget. As long as my bills are paid on time, I put some money back into savings, and give my wife some cash to blow on ebay I dont get too much slack. Now that the line has gone on hold it just means more money will go toward vintage items or the few newer items I wasnt able to get yet. I've gone over what I usually spend each month since I bought a flagg this month but will still pick up a few elusive comic packs or misc vehicle parts/figure accessories. I try to trade when I can...if I cant then I just trade these funny looking green pieces of paper for my stuff!

Rotty
03-06-2005, 12:18 PM
I used to have a strict budget (wife + tight leash = $25/week). Anything I wanted over that amount I had to save up. Recently though, I've been buying in lots and reselling the extras.

Medium size lots are so overlooked nowadays, I'm getting like, three mid-'80s vehicles for $10-20 on ebay. I can get rid of the extras real quick for less than online retail.

The result is that after I re-sell the extras, I'm now taking in more money than I pay out in Joes, while my Joe intake remains constant.

Whoo-Hoo! Defiant, here I come! :cool:

-PJ

Niiice. :D I've got about the same hobby budget you do, at $100 a month. However, this also has to cover any DVDs I buy... anyway, I've said it before and I'll say it one more time for the record: my hobby budget won't be affected by the absence of the line from retail. The money will simply be spent on eBay Joes, with part of it going to Takara and Toy Biz.

dockingbay97
03-06-2005, 12:45 PM
I try make my budget by what I sell. I try to never buy toys out of my paycheck. As long as I am not spending the rent/bill money, my gf doesn't care what I spend.

NightViperOne
03-06-2005, 05:05 PM
I don't have a budget yet, but I think I am going to start one after I pay off all the orders I have on hold right now. I am currently not even letting myself look at anymore that are for sale, even some really good ones for dirt cheap prices I found. As for the line-hold messing with my buying, I'd have to say no, as I am mainly buying vinatge figures from the 80s and 90s. Plus, if Hasbro comes out with the 8" line I heard rumor of, depending on how they look, I may buy a few of them so I can pair them up with my Marvel Legends and McFarlane comic figures on the shelf.

-Jim

PS: BTW, anyone have a Shaft v1 from the Youngblood line?:D

joeboy75
03-06-2005, 07:29 PM
I used to have a nice budget. But now my toy budget is zero as I'm trying to pay both bills and Curt off.

neoviper76
03-06-2005, 08:01 PM
The Budget. What An Awful Word. But We Gotta Stick To It. I Dont Have A Set Amount To Spend Each Month. I Pay The Rent And Other Bills...then After That I Just Wing It. My Girlfriend Doesnt Care What I Buy Cuz She Figures There Are Worse Things I Could Spend Money On.

Roadblock_1187
03-07-2005, 12:47 AM
I don't have a budget yet, but I think I am going to start one after I pay off all the orders I have on hold right now. I am currently not even letting myself look at anymore that are for sale, even some really good ones for dirt cheap prices I found. As for the line-hold messing with my buying, I'd have to say no, as I am mainly buying vinatge figures from the 80s and 90s.

yeah i hear you on this one i just winng it since i have no other expenses other than a cell phone & insurance bt imm trying to cut back so imm trying to stay away from e-bay & the wanted section

Merax
03-07-2005, 02:23 AM
Heh my toy budget has dropped dramatically since I was put on disability. When I was with the dept it would be nothing for me to take out 100$ a check to spend on toys for me and my boys. Now my wife gives me 40$ a month to spend on me and 20$ a month for my 5 year old. (I am getting him into Joes as well)

IF I find something I really want for a good price I can usually make a nice dinner and sweet talk my wife a little... 50/50 on that one though. Selling off some of my doubles has been my saving grace here lately as far as increasing my budget a little more. Can't wait for flea market season to start up though! My budget will go a long way there and once the season ends I should have enough stuff boxed away to sell on ebay and find my next 4 Most wanted items.. complete Tomahawk, Hydrofoil, Whale, and Terror Drome and complete my Flagg.

The line ending really won't affect me all that much. When I was diagnosed with cancer last year I sold off my entire collections of Joes, TF, and Star Wars to cover our bills and keep some food in the house for a couple months. I am sad about losing all of that stuff but it is fun re-building my collection and it gave me the chance to introduce my oldest son to new sculpt joes that he can collect himself without me worrying about him breaking or scratching up. It has also gotten me into liking the newer stuff as much or more than the old.:D

whitedalek
03-07-2005, 10:18 AM
I have a budget for Joes, but I usually go over it! :D However, my buying will slow down dramatically as that I got a lot of medical bills headed my way.

thorn
03-07-2005, 02:57 PM
every extra nickel i have, and a few i dont.

BUT i had /have sort of a plan that is about thru.
just about done spending large amounts of $$.
after the CG 6 packs, i will buy some small lots here a nd there to sell off, maybe part together some vehicles,
but basically i had a plan t oget everythng i wanted as fast as possible becasue it only gets more expensive.
now i should be able to get back a little by selling extras and doing lots , and i have one heck of a Grand display going on in my apt.

Meatbop
03-07-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm a long time GI Joe fan, but a new collector.

I started collecting them again about 3 months ago. I kind of went overboard those first few months. On average, I'd say I spent about $250-300/month.

Not all this stuff was for me. I have a 5 year old that recieved some of the newer 2-packs. Maybe 15 of them. I also bought him some vehicles for him.

Myself, I bought a bunch of VvV figures and some vintage stuff. I've been franticaly serching eBay for the TRU 6-packs I missed out on during the last few years. My first goals as far as vintage is concerned is to get the figures I liked most as a child. After that I plan on getting one of every figure in decent to good condition. Once I complete this....who knows. I'll probably start army building.

It's hard being a new collector. I'm trying to buy all the vintage stuff while trying not to miss out on the new stuff. It gets very expensive

I've noticed I am buying multiples of the vintage figures I liked a lot. Slowly, but surely my army of Croc Masters is growing. Funskool crocs are cheap, but I like the look and quality of the originals, so i snatch those up whenever I can. Don't know if anyone has ever army built Croc Masters, but hopefully I'll be showing my army off soon. ;)

Thankfully my job has allowed for me to spend this money recently. Work has been steady if not very busy. I plan on setting a much more strict budget once my current auctions and packages arrive. I'm thinking maybe $50-100/month. And although $200-300/month is a lot of money, in the big scheme of things I'm only spending 1-2 days worth of pay per month. I'm sure there are better ways to spend my Joe money, but i'll be damned if I ain't having a good time buying all these toys.:D

YELSEW
03-07-2005, 10:11 PM
I budget 100 a month. Usually I buy a lot more for trading or to be able to spend more the next month. I brought this issue up before, and most have a budget, but like me don't follow it much.

Kir Kanos
03-08-2005, 11:05 AM
I once had a budget of about $15/week. Lately, it's been nothing, because I am about to buy a house. I really want a con set, especially since I can't go this year. Also pre-ordered a few crimson 6pks. I want to get the last few comic pks, and a bunch of the new vipers. After that, the joe haitus, temporary or whatever, will be a nice rest for my wallet, and my wife's sanity.