Was Serpentor intentionally to become Overlord? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Was Serpentor intentionally to become Overlord?

miragearmy
03-06-2005, 01:30 PM
I'd like to ask if this was intentional of Larry Hama to have Overload to be Serpentor v2 reborn in a new disguise/attire?

During the Cobra Island debacle in the late 80's of the Marvel run, Serpentor was downed by Zartan with a direct hit with an arrow, whcih had struck Serpentor in the eye. His body was later frozen and put into storage by Dr. Mindbender.

So the question is, was Serpentor to return, to become Overloard? Was that Hama's intention that was "over" looked in the Marvel run, but never came to fruition?

Serpentor: http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/86/serpentor.shtml
Overloard: http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/90/overlord.shtml

frozen_nd
03-06-2005, 04:04 PM
. .

dockingbay97
03-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Overlord was actually designed to be another variant of Cobra Commander. My understanding is this didn't pan out so they used the design as another character which didn't get used until recently in the DD books.

Crimson Immortal
03-08-2005, 06:28 AM
Actually he was another cheap Cobra Commander replacement dreamt up by Hasbro like Serpentor was.

hasbro forced Serpentor on Hama.

the scarecrow
03-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Overlord is best remembered for commercials starring Sgt. Slaughter. He wasn't as horrible as it seems just another overlooked character. In the DD series, I thought Overlord was going to be revealed as the original Serpentor but that never happened.

On a side note, Hama saw the Joeverse cast in this way:

"I got stuck with Serpentor, Tomax, Xamot and a host of silly characters. I did my best to make them work because it was a matter of doing my job. If you have a squad of losers, you still have to go on patrol. I drew the line at Cobra-La and a few others."

ridetofight
03-09-2005, 06:36 PM
hey, where did that hama quote come from? is it an interview that might happen to have a link?

danielmd06
03-09-2005, 06:50 PM
hey, where did that hama quote come from? is it an interview that might happen to have a link?

The quote came from a previous interview of Larry Hama in Toyfare. I cannot recall the exact issue number, but perhaps someone here remembers.

the scarecrow
03-09-2005, 08:44 PM
The quote came from a previous interview of Larry Hama in Toyfare. I cannot recall the exact issue number, but perhaps someone here remembers.

I knew I forgot something. :o The quote is from GI Joe # 100 in the letters section.