Dic Cartoons(I know, I know...) [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Dic Cartoons(I know, I know...)

Soulwielder
03-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Does anyone have a watchable collection of the Dic series? Preferably on DVD. I would pay for it.

Thanks.

masteratarms2ndclass
03-24-2005, 10:23 PM
I don't, but I would love it if this series could be released by Rhino... do you have any idea who owns the rights to these sets?

zark1976
03-25-2005, 10:00 AM
I thought someone said one time that Falcon showed up in some of those episodes. Is that true?

I'd be excited if Rhino could finish the Sunbow series.

This I Command!
03-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Does anyone have a watchable collection of the Dic series? Preferably on DVD. I would pay for it.

Thanks.

I am working on putting a set together at the moment I have about 15 really great quality episodes I taped off tv as a kid which by the grace of god have survived about 7 moves and not being taped over. So using those as original masters, I have someone else sending me a complete run on vhs. Hopefully between the two sets (I may try and get one more set from another sorce first)
I will be able to have a decent quality pick of all the others I don't already possess. At which point I will go to my place of employment after hours and using their production studio, use noise reduction on them (since they would have all been recorded in mono, as was the VCR way back in the late 80s early 90s and then convert them to DVD. So hopefully I'll have this done sometime over the next few months. Then I will need to find someone with a DVD copier to make several sets off of the set I make so I can help others out.

Although...I'm questing whether or not I should start this just yet because some of Dic's more obscure toons such as Swamp Thing, Toxic Crusaders, and Mario Brothers have all made their way to DVD and something tells me that unless they are complete idiots Real Ghostbusters, and GI Joe will be soon to follow suit seeing as they are by and large Dic's most sought after animated series.

SecurityPoliceAF_Joe
03-25-2005, 12:19 PM
I thought someone said one time that Falcon showed up in some of those episodes. Is that true?

He was in the special called The Ultimate Evil (I think that was the name). He was hooked on some kind of drug the Headman was selling, not one of his finer moments. If I remember correctly he was in his sonic fighters uniform.
I don't know if he was in any of the other episodes.

And what's the deal with the sunbow series? Did Rhino run into some legal problems that will not let them finish the series?

zark1976
03-25-2005, 12:46 PM
He was in the special called The Ultimate Evil (I think that was the name). He was hooked on some kind of drug the Headman was selling, not one of his finer moments. If I remember correctly he was in his sonic fighters uniform.
I don't know if he was in any of the other episodes.

And what's the deal with the sunbow series? Did Rhino run into some legal problems that will not let them finish the series?

I think I had heard that about Falcon's appearance. But I think after having to showcase my best work against cobr-la and sergeant slaughter, I'd take the drugs too. or maybe the cyanide. LOL

kepulver
03-26-2005, 11:34 PM

Lt. Falcon showed up in at least two DIC episodes, the two-parters "Long Live Rock and Roll" -- which debuted the Sonic Fighters and "The Greatest Evil" which has Duke and Falcon as being brothers (the half part isn't mentioned, but this is still probably a direct reference back to the 1987 GI Joe Movie). In both episodes, Falcon is wearing his Sonic Fighter get-up.

For more info on Falcon in DIC, you can visit this page: http://www.geocities.com/kepulver/mushes/features/ltfeature.html

It's the Feature Character Spotlight I did for Lt. Falcon -- be warned, he's not my favorite character and while I try to be fair, I ain't exactly kind to the guy. THere are reviews there for both DIC episodes he appeared in and my take on the GI Joe movie.

NOTE: THe links for the two DIC episodes are FUBARed -- Use these instead.

Long Live Rock and Roll: http://www.geocities.com/kepulver/mushes/dicguide/rockandroll1.html

The Greatest Evil: http://www.geocities.com/kepulver/mushes/dicguide/greatestevil1.html

Kathy

whakojacko
04-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Anybody know how many seasons and how many episodes were in the Dic series? As for the Sunbow episodes, I really wish they would get on with it and release the final 1/2 of season 2.

kepulver
04-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Anybody know how many seasons and how many episodes were in the Dic series? As for the Sunbow episodes, I really wish they would get on with it and release the final 1/2 of season 2.

DIC GI Joe lasted for 2 seasons from 1990-1992 plus the miniseries Operation: Dragonfire that aired in 1989. There were a total of 44 episodes, if you count each episode singly (meaning, Operation DRagonfire as 5 eps, instead of 1).

You can find a listing (plus reviews) of all the episodes at my site, located here: http://www.geocities.com/thefreighter89/dicguide/dic0.html

Kathy

Alison Chains
05-09-2005, 01:52 AM
I really hope DIC gets around to releasing this on DVD. I remember liking the DiC series as a kid, and I'm dying to see how I feel about it now that I'm grown up! I love the Sunbow series so much more now days than I used to. (I actually liked the DIC series better as a kid. Maybe 'cause it was more comedy and less serious?) *gets pelted*

Propadeutic
05-10-2005, 03:23 PM
It's good to see you here, Kathy.

(We communicated by e-mail once regarding theories about Salvo's "pet" goat.)

Besides kepulver's site, another good resource for anyone interested in more info. about the DIC cartoons is the book "Now You Know" ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1570329028/ ), which also has summaries and reviews of the Sunbow series and the Marvel and European comics. It's a little salty, but definitely written by someone who cares about quality in Joe fiction.

Jhiaxus
05-15-2005, 03:49 PM
DIC GI Joe lasted for 2 seasons from 1990-1992 plus the miniseries Operation: Dragonfire that aired in 1989. There were a total of 44 episodes, if you count each episode singly (meaning, Operation DRagonfire as 5 eps, instead of 1).

You can find a listing (plus reviews) of all the episodes at my site, located here: http://www.geocities.com/thefreighter89/dicguide/dic0.html

Kathy

Hey Kathy. I just wanted to write to tell you that I love your site. I read a lot of the DiC episode reviews and especially enjoyed your review of the one-shot Sgt. Savage cartoon. I managed to pick it up when it first came out with the original Savage toy in '95 and was pretty impressed with it myself.

the scarecrow
05-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Honestly, I liked the DIC series. I loved seeing new troopers and characters presented. Sure the storylines and animation were below the Sunbow effort but it's still a fun series to pass the time.

FireFox91
05-18-2005, 09:01 PM
I have a decent quality copy of Operation Dragonfire on DVD which IMO is not that bad. Some of the other epsodes I have seen for DIC were so bad I couldn't stand watching them. I'm rather torn on whether or not I would want to have these on DVD.

kepulver
05-19-2005, 11:23 PM
It's good to see you here, Kathy.
(We communicated by e-mail once regarding theories about Salvo's "pet" goat.)

Prop, how could I forget you? I still have the information about the goat and if it's not up on the site, it is one of the things I am meaning to put up there when I actually start updating again. Which will be *mumblesomedaymumblerealsoonnowmumble*

Now You Know is a really good resource, more for the Sunbow and Marvel series, but the fact that there is DIC information in there at all makes me all warm and fuzzy. Definatley second the recommendation (especially since Lars Pearson let me quote some of his reviews when I was missing a few episodes).

Jihaxus, thanks! Glad to hear you've enjoyed it!

Kathy

Alison Chains
05-21-2005, 09:40 PM
I have a decent quality copy of Operation Dragonfire on DVD which IMO is not that bad. Some of the other epsodes I have seen for DIC were so bad I couldn't stand watching them. I'm rather torn on whether or not I would want to have these on DVD.

Can I ask where you got that, or is that not allowed on these forums? (Sorry if it's forbidden to ask...) I've been looking for DiC GI joe eps all over the place and havent found any!

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of either a video or MP3 of The DiC "Got To Get Tough, Yo Joe!" theme? My girlfriend was wanting to see that opening, as she doesn't remember it from when she was a kid. thanks if anyone can help!

FireFox91
05-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Can I ask where you got that, or is that not allowed on these forums? (Sorry if it's forbidden to ask...) I've been looking for DiC GI joe eps all over the place and havent found any!

It's a bootleg. Basically someone took copies from video tape and converted it to DVD so the quality isn't that great but it is better than a lot I have seen. I had a friend make a copy for me since this is not something I can go buy off the shelf or anywhere else online. (I think he got his from eBay.) Since my copy is not exactly legitimate, I can't make any copies for anyone else. Sorry.