View Full Version : Suggestions for repairing an inflatable lightsaber?

orionlukteel
03-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Man, I'm bummed. Finally got the lightsaber handle to complete my
inflatable lightsaber so I could relive my ill-spent youth.

I've had the blade in the box for almost two years waiting for the
handle. Now I try to inflate it, only to find that it's been punctured
since the last time I took it out of the box. D'OH!:mad:

There are three smaller pinholes in the end "cap" portion. I'm not planning
to re-sell this, I was just wondering if anyone has ever had to patch one of these before.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to get it fixed before my son gets back from his Easter vacation so I can chase him around the house with it.:D

thunt4
03-30-2005, 11:34 AM
what about super glue since its only pinhole size. if you inflate it and put a drop of it on it should seal it. I dont think it would melt the plastic either, just a guess though on what to do

CGC
03-30-2005, 02:15 PM
I guess I'd fill it with expanding foam. Great Stuff, or something like that. It wouldn't be deflatable any more, but it wouldn't leak, either. ;)

Darko
03-30-2005, 06:12 PM
If you have a hot glue gun, a drop over each hole should seal it nicely.

drveovru2
03-30-2005, 06:20 PM
what ever you do , dont use fix a flat....

some wax may be a temporary fix, that way you dont have to worry about altering it.

GungHo
03-30-2005, 07:17 PM
If it's no more than a couple of pin holes then just use some GOOD clear packing tape ( a small piece) to cover the pin holes.

Whatever you do DON'T use that spray foam......not only would you be taking a HUGE risk in having the foam expand too much (which would rip the blade) but it also wouldn't light up any longer....defeating the whole "flashlight" lightsaber idea.

CGC
03-30-2005, 08:19 PM
If it's no more than a couple of pin holes then just use some GOOD clear packing tape ( a small piece) to cover the pin holes.

Whatever you do DON'T use that spray foam......not only would you be taking a HUGE risk in having the foam expand too much (which would rip the blade) but it also wouldn't light up any longer....defeating the whole "flashlight" lightsaber idea.
lol

Sorry, I should have been more clear, I was joking. A dab of rubber cement might work, it would be a little more flexible than some of the other ideas, but I don't know how long it would last.

& GungHo is right, definately Do Not use any type of expanding foam. ;)

thorn
03-31-2005, 03:10 AM
OK- couldn't resist-
repairing Inflateable light saber??/

hold it over a garbage can-
drop it in!

i adimit when i was TEN i played with my friends plastic long one, the one that whistled, but really a light saber??

heheh.
id use rubber cement and a small piece of rubber from something else.

GungHo
03-31-2005, 05:33 AM
i adimit when i was TEN i played with my friends plastic long one, the one that whistled, but really a light saber??

heheh.
id use rubber cement and a small piece of rubber from something else.

I really would stay away from rubber cement and stuff like that for repairing this lightsaber. The blade is made out of a vinyl "beach ball" type of plastic.....hence why it's easy to damage. Originally these lightsabers included a few round,clear, patches (like an inflatable pool toy often comes with).

I own one of those "whistling" vintage lightsabers.......those things ROCK!!! I took mine out of my display case for the EP2 midnight showing......and was the only one at the theater with a vintage lightsaber. Everyone kept asking me where I bought it.....and they wanted to have "lightsaber duels".....I just laughed and told them not with this bad boy :p

orionlukteel
03-31-2005, 10:40 AM
I actually have one of the whistling lightsabers as well. And they do rock.:D

There's just nothing quite like beating the snot out of your friends with an inflatable lightsaber.

And as far as throwing it out, if it wouldn't cost $40+ to replace, I might consider it. But I haven't seen a functional one of these since I was six, and it WAS functional when I got it. :rolleyes:

I see these on eBay about once every year, if that. If I could find the patch kit by itself, I'd use it. But the original box just came with the blade and nothing else.:(

I actually considered the expandable foam for about two seconds.;)

Here's a link to the background info:

http://www.stormpages.com/starwarstoys/inflate_saber.html

And Gus's page:

http://www.toysrgus.com/images-toys/am-r2.html

dockingbay97
03-31-2005, 10:47 AM
Here are pics of both box designs

http://www.toysrgus.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=41866

http://www.toysrgus.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=41867

They'll show on eBay a little more than once per year but are getting harder and harder to find nice.

bluebikerboy1
04-01-2005, 05:17 PM
a patch kit for an inflatable tire?:)