Funskool false advertising [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Funskool false advertising

Apochronox
04-01-2005, 09:22 AM
I recently bought Funskool Storm Shadow and on the package it says "with swivel-arm battle grip." Yet, when I opened it up I found that his arms would not swivel.

Also, the paint is not as good as the original Hasbro figure. The accessories are perfect for my old one, though. I think they are an exact match of the original (which have been lost for a very long time.)

I think the Funskool Joes are perfect for accessory replacement (for a few of them - most have strange colors) or customs.

zark1976
04-01-2005, 11:40 AM
The arms should swivel. They may be locked with bad plastic or funskool's poor production, but generally they swivel. just don't try too hard, or you may rip the figure's forearms off

I recently bought Funskool Storm Shadow and on the package it says "with swivel-arm battle grip." Yet, when I opened it up I found that his arms would not swivel.

Also, the paint is not at good as the original Hasbro figure. The accessories are perfect for my old one, though. I think they are an exact match of the original (which have been lost for a very long time.)

I think the Funskool Joes are perfect for accessory replacement (for a few of them - most have strange colors) or customs.

skywalters
04-01-2005, 03:22 PM

Call me anal or even ludicrous (or maybe even ludicrously anal)...but I don't think we should be replacing US accessories with Funskool or Plastriama or most other foreign joes. The quality of plastic is never the same for one thing. If I truly want to complete my figure, I want the authentic/original accessories. I don't even like using the newer US accessories (97 and up) for the older/vintage figures. Again, the plastic is not the same quality. It would be like putting a 98 Dodge Neon engine in your 1969 Corvette Stingray convertible. Can you make it work? Sure!! Does it suck? Yes. It's like Pasteurized Processed Cheese Food Substitute vs. getting a fresh brick of Sharp Cheddar. It's like... I think I've made my point. I'm just glad I completed my loose collection before all these new figures and funskool figures came out.

Patrick A. Riley
04-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Try bending the arm the full 90 possible at the elbows before swiveling.
If it doesn't work, bend the arm outward instead of towards the chest. That usually breaks those plastic bonds

Merax
04-01-2005, 03:54 PM
I have a bunch of Funskool CGIs and Night Vipers for army builders. Personally I think they are great for that purpose. My green camp Night attack chopper looks just right with a 5 man crew of Night Vipers and the CGIs look pretty good as crews for the OCS hiss and ASP.
As far as stiff joints and whatnot.. most of the time if you work it easily again and again it will begin to move pretty well. I don't recommend using them for multiple poses because they have a bad habbit of "coming apart at the seams" in your hands.
I have great respect for people like Skywalters who stick to "original or nothing" collections and wish I had the money to do that. Alot of us mainly just collect what we like (army building, etc.) and Funskool figures are an inexpensive and easy way to "fill in the ranks".

zark1976
04-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Speaking of coming apart at the seams. I got a Flint Funskool, and in the pack he was already coming apart, so when I opened it, I realized that the screw had torn out the ledge that it rests on to keep the two halves together. The arms were really good though.

Merax
04-01-2005, 05:19 PM
hehe yeah i've opened a couple CGI packs and had the figure litterally fall apart on the spot. I have had pretty good luck with the Night Vipers though.

Apochronox
04-02-2005, 03:05 AM
Well, I've tried to move his arms but I'm afraid they will break if I put too much pressure on them. His arms really are stuck in place. :confused:

As for the accessories, I don't notice any bad quality about them at all. I've looked at the pictures on YoJoe! for the original Storm Shadow (version 2 (http://www.yojoe.com/action/88/stormshadow2.shtml)) and they are exactly the same. I was afraid the plastic would be brittle or flexible but it's not. If I wasn't 100% convinced that the Funskool accessories were the same as the US version I would never replace them. I mean, I'm not going to take it to a lab and do a scientific analysis on the quality of the plastic or anything but... you know what I mean. :D

If I had a choice between the US version SS accessories and the Funskool ones, of course I would pick the 17 year old US version! But they are hard to find and the Funskool ones are $4 at smalljoes.com (http://www.smalljoes.com/funskool_gijoe_figures.shtml), so... you know what I'm saying? :cool:

skywalters
04-02-2005, 03:56 AM
If I had a choice between the US version SS accessories and the Funskool ones, of course I would pick the 17 year old US version! But they are hard to find and the Funskool ones are $4 at smalljoes.com (http://www.smalljoes.com/funskool_gijoe_figures.shtml), so... you know what I'm saying? :cool:

It's cool I understand. It just worries me that there might be some people out there selling their figures as "complete" when they've filled in their accessories with non-original repros. I used to be really in to acquiring, listing and redistributing parts, but it took so long, I ended up selling my entire parts lot one day to a guy I had done a lot of trades with... Jaime Norvell. Is he still around?

joebahama
04-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Call me anal or even ludicrous (or maybe even ludicrously anal)...but I don't think WE should be replacing US accessories with Funskool or Plastriama or most other foreign joe .

I think the Word WE should be corrected. I replace Joe accessories with whatever I like. Many guys on this board use not only those accessories but also BBI, and Corps or whatever 3 3/4" scale that works. If you are a completionist that believes that its blasphemous to give a original Joe anything other than his original accessory then so be. But I realized a long time ago that I didn't want to be that kind of collector.

The quality of plastic is never the same for one thing. If I truly want to complete my figure, I want the authentic/original accessories. I don't even like using the newer US accessories (97 and up) for the older/vintage figures. Again, the plastic is not the same quality.

I agree there, the quality isn't the same, but hey if it pleases me I don't worry about it. If it looks good I get it and use it. For me using some original accessories is just as silly as using an off scale weapon or accessory. For example, I love version 1 RocknRoll and Salvo, but those weapons they come with are crap. They aren't realistic and they look silly. So I rearmed them with BBI machine Guns and Rocket Launchers and put those useless things they come with in a bag in my junk draw!

It would be like putting a 98 Dodge Neon engine in your 1969 Corvette Stingray convertible. Can you make it work? Sure!! Does it suck? Yes. It's like Pasteurized Processed Cheese Food Substitute vs. getting a fresh brick of Sharp Cheddar. It's like... I think I've made my point. I'm just glad I completed my loose collection before all these new figures and funskool figures came out.

Awe come on its not that bad. That analogy is way off. I had a complete loose collection too, was I fulfilled in my mind by being a completionist, No I wasn't. But thats me. I didn't get anything out of knowing that I had every figure or thereabouts complete. I get more Joy in my collecting now because I have the Leeway to switch up, adjust, customize etc... Its more liberal and free to me. I love rearming my original incomplete Night Vipers with repainted "cheap" funskool stuff rather than paying $10 on ebay for a backpack here, a rifle there. Thats silly to me. But then again all of us are different and have different tastes.

Spillspleen
04-02-2005, 10:59 AM
I used to be careful of what I used for my Joes...no funschool stuff and the like! But now that I have a complete set 82 to 2002 (-4 figures) I used what ever for my second set which is on display! And now that I am I really like the different colors of the other stuff...orange weapons are great...!!!! And the colors of the Indian figures are cool now that I do not have to accept them as replacements for the original set!

Apochronox
04-02-2005, 12:58 PM
...orange weapons are great...!!!!

Yeah, but the enemy would spot you a million miles away. :D

gunslingercbr
04-02-2005, 04:43 PM
I think the Word WE should be corrected. I replace Joe accessories with whatever I like. Many guys on this board use not only those accessories but also BBI, and Corps or whatever 3 3/4" scale that works. If you are a completionist that believes that its blasphemous to give a original Joe anything other than his original accessory then so be. But I realized a long time ago that I didn't want to be that kind of collector.

I agree there, the quality isn't the same, but hey if it pleases me I don't worry about it. If it looks good I get it and use it. For me using some original accessories is just as silly as using an off scale weapon or accessory. For example, I love version 1 RocknRoll and Salvo, but those weapons they come with are crap. They aren't realistic and they look silly. So I rearmed them with BBI machine Guns and Rocket Launchers and put those useless things they come with in a bag in my junk draw!

Awe come on its not that bad. That analogy is way off. I had a complete loose collection too, was I fulfilled in my mind by being a completionist, No I wasn't. But thats me. I didn't get anything out of knowing that I had every figure or thereabouts complete. I get more Joy in my collecting now because I have the Leeway to switch up, adjust, customize etc... Its more liberal and free to me. I love rearming my original incomplete Night Vipers with repainted "cheap" funskool stuff rather than paying $10 on ebay for a backpack here, a rifle there. Thats silly to me. But then again all of us are different and have different tastes.

I agree completely. but it is more than anal, it is quite egotistical to believe you should dictate to the collecting world what they should do with or how they should arm their collection.

if you are a "completist" collector and are only satisfied if your Storm Shadow is only armed with the exact weapons he came with. fine. but I don't see how if someone wants to replace their accessories whith funskools that it affects you anyone else collection. and someone trying to pass off funskool items as original has nothing to do with someone just using them to arm their figures. one has nothing to do with the other. you don't dictate to teh entire collecting community what they can or can't do because of a few dishonest people. a private collection has nothing to do with bad sellers.

lastly, how far do you take this anal approach? do you keep it to the exact weapons that came packaged with the figure, or can you replace your Storm Shadows weapons with someone elses Storm Shadow's weapons. although they are the same, they aren't the EXACT weapons the figure was packaged with. you see, when you get that anal about things, they begin to become more and more ridiculous, but the ridiculousness is born from the same behavior, and it is the behavior that needs to be addressed, not the result.

bluebikerboy1
04-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Yeah, but the enemy would spot you a million miles away. :D

not if your in an orange orchard

joebahama
04-03-2005, 12:16 AM
although they are the same, they aren't the EXACT weapons the figure was packaged with. you see, when you get that anal about things, they begin to become more and more ridiculous, but the ridiculousness is born from the same behavior, and it is the behavior that needs to be addressed, not the result.

I agree totally, Last year I opened two Mint on Card footloose . One was released in 1985 and the second was the 1986 release. Well the 1985 one had M-16 rifle with a different stronger plastic while the other had a weakened strap that tore when I placed it around the figure. So had these two figures , which look exactly the same by the way been compared out of the package I wouldn't have known the difference in the accessories quality in terms of which was which. I don't need the stress of worrying about those silly little inconsistencies. I guess if I was I would wonder which factor in China made the product, how it was packaged etc. But hey if there are guys out there that worries about the diameter of a 1/18 scale M-16 that came with a figure made 20 years ago , then go right ahead. I'll continue to army build, and rearm all my original Cobra troopers with corps weapons or whatever I like. Its stress free and I really enjoy my collection ;) .

Apochronox
04-03-2005, 03:54 AM
not if your in an orange orchard

Yeah, that's true. :rolleyes: Maybe G.I. Joe would finally have a use for Orange Clutch (http://www.yojoe.com/action/93/clutch3.shtml) then. :D

bluebikerboy1
04-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Yeah, that's true. :rolleyes: Maybe G.I. Joe would finally have a use for Orange Clutch (http://www.yojoe.com/action/93/clutch3.shtml) then. :D

or that other one that has the green shirt and the bright orange pants. i forget his name.

on the subject of your stormie. put some presure on it. it aint going to break. if it does just buy another off smalljoes.

Apochronox
04-04-2005, 02:43 AM
Ah! I used some pliers on his arms and sure enough they swivel. I thought they were molded in place and I was afraid they would break.

Yeah, for $4 I guess it wouldn't hurt if he broke. :rolleyes: