Wave 7 Cobra Viper - Variant or Error? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Wave 7 Cobra Viper - Variant or Error?

FireFox91
04-02-2005, 12:34 AM
I stopped at Wal-Mart tonight and bought 2 of the Gung-Ho vs. Viper packs. One of the packs looks normal, the other is exactly the same except the Viper does not have the Cobra logo painted on his chest. I remember someone else mentioning they saw this very same thing. I wonder if this is just a an error or and actual variant? Anyone else see this? Thoughts?

The Faceless Master
04-02-2005, 01:06 AM
I stopped at Wal-Mart tonight and bought 2 of the Gung-Ho vs. Viper packs. One of the packs looks normal, the other is exactly the same except the Viper does not have the Cobra logo painted on his chest. I remember someone else mentioning they saw this very same thing. I wonder if this is just a an error or and actual variant? Anyone else see this? Thoughts?

I bought one of em, am 95% sure that its quality control's fault... :(

Just like the Mail-Away Agent Faces without Goaties
Just like the Cobra Infantry Troopers without Cobra Logo on the chest
Just like the OCS CGs without Cobra Logo

thorn
04-02-2005, 03:06 AM
i ahve to say any missing paint is always gonna be an error.
variants are different, not lacking.
powerjedi (yeah, his psudonyms) has been annoying me lately with his listings of
"variants" lately, as about half of them are just unfinished, not variants.

it takes an actual differnce in sculpt, coloring, or packaging to be a variant

FireFox91
04-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Yeah, I was leaning more towards error myself. I was thinking it could be a variant if they ran off a few thousand figures with no logo and then changed it to add the logo. I just didn't know how often this had been spotted. I never even heard about the OCS and Infantry figures with no logo.

ShadowSnake
04-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Yeah, its most likely only an error. I guess some people like collecting errors though. Me? I dont see why someone would want a cobra guard without a cobra symbol...but hey, who knows. lol

Dave

Merax
04-02-2005, 03:50 PM
I picked up 8 wave 7 Vipers today and all of them were fine. I do like errors myself though, and if I notice it that way in the package then I won't open them. I'm not talking about paint overspray or anything like that, but the Vipers or guards without a symbol are things I look for. Who knows what they will be worth in 10 years or so:) . Even if they are worth nothing more than what the figure itself is going for, still nice to be able to say "hey, I have one (or so) of those without (this or that)". That's just me though:) .

Prince Adam
04-02-2005, 07:04 PM
I got a 7.5 Aley Viper who's back armor is entirely unpainted! Take a look:

http://images.snapfish.com/34356%3C2323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2329%3D646%3D8%3B9%3 DXROQDF%3E23237%3B97488%3C%3Aot1lsi

Merax
04-02-2005, 09:45 PM
That's the kind of stuff I look for, simple errors like that make a very nice "keeper figure" for me.

The Faceless Master
04-02-2005, 10:02 PM
I got a 7.5 Aley Viper who's back armor is entirely unpainted! Take a look:

http://images.snapfish.com/34356%3C2323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2329%3D646%3D8%3B9%3 DXROQDF%3E23237%3B97488%3C%3Aot1lsi

Hahahaha, lazy employees with even lazier quality control - if there IS such a thing at Hasbro these days...

I had a weird variation of the Alley Viper wave 7.5
CLICK HERE for more info

rageseven
04-05-2005, 05:56 PM
I found one of the viper's w/o the symbol today. Seems like a few people have these. Paint errors seems to be more rare. I have a single pack Scarlett w/o lipstick. I posted about it here, but I've never heard anyone else mention it. Maybe its just because more people pay attention to this figure b/c its a Viper, but previous versions of this figure(Wave 1 and Wave 5) didn't have the logo. Maybe this is a legit variation. Has anyone bought these from one of the Hong Kong sellers on ebay? I'm wondering if they might have some logo-less Vipers.

Dragonfire
04-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Yesterday my friend Lee bought two at a local Target store. He said he didn't even notice until he put them on the shelf next to his other two with symbols.
I vote Variant.

Powered Convoy
04-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Of the 12 Wave 7 Vipers I have, one has no symbol. Here's some pictures I took at another forum. http://www.joecustoms.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=25530 A few posts down.

Randy

Powered Convoy
04-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Now that I'm home, I can directly link the pics.

Randy

yojoebro82
05-03-2005, 05:18 PM
i ahve to say any missing paint is always gonna be an error.
variants are different, not lacking.

But yojoe DOES list some earlier ARAH Joes missing paint as variants. The 94 Flint is an example, black highlighs on one, none on the other.

But I just realized as I was typing this...............WHAT DOES IT MATTER?????

The Faceless Master
05-03-2005, 05:58 PM
But I just realized as I was typing this...............WHAT DOES IT MATTER?????
well, if you come across a rare paint app variation, lets say a pimped out
leopard skin TRU Exclusive, you'd wanna know if you have something
valuable on your hands, wouldnt you?

yojoebro82
05-03-2005, 11:47 PM
well, if you come across a rare paint app variation, lets say a pimped out
leopard skin TRU Exclusive, you'd wanna know if you have something
valuable on your hands, wouldnt you?

Oh yeah. I think we all know that those "pimped out" variants definately DO matter- to the tune of a few hundred bucks!
Didn't mean to make it sound like the question about the Viper symbol didn't matter. I got one with and one without and I was actually kinda wondering about it myself.

CGC
05-04-2005, 12:07 AM
If they're still available anywhere, I'm looking for one, trade, buy, whatever (unpainted viper, no leopard skins for me today ;) - link in my sig). Waves 6 & 7 still haven't made it to this neck of the woods.

AlternateUniverse Steeler
05-05-2005, 08:47 PM
I got a case today and both had no cobra symbol. My friend got a case a week ago and both have symbol. Both cases have identical markings.
Also in my travels i have seen 80 vipers, breakdown is 72 with symbol and 8 without. Each time without symbol it has been case fresh and both in the case are without. Never has it been 1 with and 1 without. To me this is not an error but a running change. It is too frequent to be an error.

But thats my take.

ULTRA MAXIMUS
05-06-2005, 11:08 AM
After reading your post I checked all of my blue Vipers none are missing the Cobra emblem. Now that I know there out there I will keep an eye out for them.;)

05-07-2005, 01:48 AM
Went to walmart today and found 4 more without symbol.
This is definatly a variant. In all my years of collecting i have never seen this many errors.

notpicard
05-07-2005, 01:48 AM
I got a Viper the other day with no logo. It was there new on the shelf with one that had the logo. These seem to be plentiful, but I am not sure that they are a running change in production.

CGC
05-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Went to walmart today and found 4 more without symbol.
This is definatly a variant. In all my years of collecting i have never seen this many errors.
I would have pm'd you, but I can't. Would you be willing to trade one off? (http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=19921) Lmk. Thanks.

RAS ONE J
05-07-2005, 11:14 AM
I found one too the other day. Found 4 wave 7 vipers but one with no symbol.

Opened it anyways..and symbol makes the figure so much better.

ULTRA MAXIMUS
05-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Yes I agree the Cobra emblem on the chest does make the Viper. However, I still want some without the emblem:(

Cold Slither
05-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Well I found what looked like a freshly shelved wave 7 case and the vipers were without symbols. The next day I found an equally fresh case with symbols (I know because this target sells them for $4.99 and they go quick!) I had to get them both. I do think having the symbol is better, too. Now if it had a silver symbol to match the face shield that would have been sweet!

Powered Convoy
05-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Found 3 more Viper sets at the TRU in Times Square NYC Saturday. Of the three, two didn't have symbols (I haven't opened them yet, but soon will). I don't really think there needs to be any more proof that this is an actual variation, and not an error. Of the sixteen I've found, I've found thirteen symbols and three without. I can take pictures of the two I found at TRU Times Square, but here's a carded picture of the first one I found at Walmart weeks ago. Though, I had to really shrink it to upload it.

Randy Para

CGC
05-10-2005, 10:02 PM
I was a little out of my normal work area today, & found the Vipers on the peg for the first time. Better yet, there were 2 painted, & 2 more unpainted. I left one of the painted Vipers - don't want to be too greedy :p.

RAS ONE J
05-10-2005, 10:39 PM
cool..looks like more people are getting them. I just found another one today..one no symbol and another with symbol at the same store.

Guess they will have to update the cobra viper page with this variation.

thewyseone
05-22-2005, 01:43 PM
i picked up 5 of the viper/gung ho 2-packs and all vipers had no logos.:confused:

zark1976
05-23-2005, 03:10 PM
I found at a kmart what looked like pegs that had recently been stocked with a combined total of 4 cases. half of the vipers had symbols, half did not. I grabbed 2 of the figures for someone I promised them to and left the rest. no telling if they're still there or not, but it wasn't something I wanted hanging around my place, so at the time I left there were 6 vipers still on pegs.I definitely think this is a variation since it is so widespread. It's a lame one. Makes me wonder if they've got a production line where the sprayers aren't working or if someone in the financial dept decided that they could save some $ by leaving off one paint application on the most recent runs.

05-23-2005, 11:17 PM
I got 4 vipers today at Target.
All 3 without logo.

ParatrooperCarbine
06-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Someone has a set of the logoless Vipers on eBay. No bids, but that may be due to him asking 14 dollars s/h for Priority Mail.

???

CGC
06-04-2005, 09:19 AM
It looks like the no-logo variant is almost as common as the properly painted Viper, maybe at about 2:3. Has anybody actually been keeping tabs on what others have found? It might be interesting, this seems to be one of the more common variations that I've seen.

ParatrooperCarbine
06-04-2005, 08:18 PM
I picked up the ones with Gung Ho and Grunt instead of Vipers. They don't look like swaps. How do you post pics here?