Predicting the Sigma Six's Popularity? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Predicting the Sigma Six's Popularity?

yo-man2
04-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Now i Know that the S6 will have a big cartoon support net, however i think that the s6 popularity can be gauged based upon the sales of these new star wars force battelers, which seem like the sw equivelent of s6

i don't know about you folks but the sw figures have been pretty much picked over at all the stores i've been too selling i'd say 25% of the basic figure stock during this first week, however the force battelers seem like real pegwarmers, why get one forcebattler when you could get 2 action figures?

regardless there are 20+ of these things warming the shelf in every store locally........any opinions.......i say this bodes unwell for s6

Deogg
04-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Sigma Six the Line Killer is going to be REALLY popular...........

.........when it's the main attraction of TRU's 90% off green tag clearance sale.

And even then it STILL doesn't sell.

carnage717
04-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Its the same way at every store locally here. I made my usual toy run this weekend the Force battlers look to be serious peg warmers here as well. Granted these dont have a nice cartoon to go with them. But if one of the popular toy franchises cant get these things to sell what good is a little old saturday morning cartoon going to do. Maybe the poor sales on the Force Battlers will make Hasbro think twice about wasting their money on Sigma Six.

Brad

FireFox91
04-10-2005, 11:49 PM
S6 is going to flop big time. Not becuase of the design, scale or the fact they replaced the 3-3/4" and 12" lines with it. It all comes down to the price. At $15 a pop, a heck of a lot more can be bought from other toy lines. So, they might start selling when they are clearanced at TRU for 90% off. :) Of course, it will be too late then.

Bryon
04-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Maybe the poor sales on the Force Battlers will make Hasbro think twice about wasting their money on Sigma Six.I hope so. If Hasbro does notice poor sales for the Force Battlers compared to the 4" Star Wars figs, the first thing they should do is re-scale their Sigma 6 line. I don't mind paying 5.99 for a single pack of a well-sculpted 4" figure with plenty of personalized, realistic accessories. A price point $1 lower than the current price for a two-pack has to help Hasbro with the profit margin. If it works for Star Wars, can't it work with Joe?

tiger_45
04-11-2005, 07:45 AM
I think they will be peg warmers also. I do plan on buying a few once the prices drop down just because I'm a ninja and a USMC fan. I just hope Toys r US comes through for us and keeps the 3 3/4 line running for a while.

CGC
04-11-2005, 09:00 AM
I think the general consensus here seems to be the price is too high. I agree, I don't think too much of what I've seen, but compared to the style of some other recent action figs, & the popularity of anime, Hasbro probably has a good idea, but that $15 tag, I think if it was anything under ten it would do fine.

If I see them clearanced at 90% off, ugly anime garbage or not, I think I'd clean them up - for $1.50 each, that'd be good stocking stuffers, basket fillers, or throw 'em in a trunk, sit on 'em for 10 years, & by then they'll be decent trade fodder. ;)

Joeczar
04-11-2005, 10:19 AM
The Force Battlers are still warming the pegs here too. I find it interesting that Hasbro euthanized the 3 3/4" and 12" line to make room for S6, saying they didn't want to confuse the kids, yet for Star Wars they have 3 3/4", 12", 8", and those Attacktix figures. I guess Star Wars collectors are better able to understand the differences in scale than Joe collectors.

One more thing, if adult collectors only account for 15% of GI Joe sales, does Hasbro think Star Wars collectors are a higher number than that? Maybe 17, 18 percent?

It's real interesting to see the two different philosophies in place here for these two lines.

groundhog7s
04-11-2005, 12:16 PM
I don't even know why they're stopping the 3 3/4 line for this. Around my area, Joe completely sold out at Christmas time and is still steadily selling. If the line is selling, just make adjustments so it sells better and keep going. And making a figure because of a new show doesn't mean it will work (like the recent He-Man line). I think they won't find people wanting to pay $15 for a figure and they'll lose all the income from what people are buying.

Hasbro will choke on Sigma Six figures and will return to the regular line within a year. That's my prediction.

MikePrime
04-11-2005, 12:29 PM
It's too early to tell. I'm not going to go by the Star Wars figures on this, since they are competing with the regular figures.

I will say that the price is too high. We need to think outside of ourselves and of fathers who are Joe fans that will buy these for their kids. I don't think that price will be very attractive to parents when/if their kids ask for the Sigma Six toys.

Angry Beef
04-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Remember the basic Sigma Six figs are 9.99. The deluxe ones are 15.00.

I think the Hasbro estimate is that in MOVIE years kids make up the majority of the SW toyline buyers but in off years it's more collector based.

whakojacko
04-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Too expensive. It's the kiss of death. It's one thing when adult collectors pay $15 for a figure similar to something they had as kid but why a kid would want to spend $15 on any action figure especially when there are many other figures out there for much less is beyond me. As a parent I would not especially want to shell out $15 for an action figure to give to my kid figuring the figures life expectancy could be anywhere from one week to maybe 5 years (depends on how your kids play with their toys). For myself, I can pay $100 for a figure but it's money I personally earned and I intend to take good care of it so it may out last me. Now I know parents will go to far lengths for their kids sometimes and some will probably buy a few SS figures for their kids but not all of them. And when the kid has to shell out his own money for one well...When I was a kid I think one of the things that made G.I. Joe so attractive to me was the price tag. I never saw a Joe for more than $5 and that was RARE. I only ever bought mini Autobots because the rest were all a little too expensive for me. I loved the WWF then too but those big rubbery guys were a little pricy too. Even if this cartoon is red hot and Sigma Six is popular with kids I still don't think the price is going to popular with anyone. I think they made a big mistake here. They should have maybe stuck with the same basic design/style of these Sigma Six figures but just made them 4 - 5 inches tall and sold them for $5 - $8. For myself or the kids I won't be paying for Sigma Six.

carnage717
04-11-2005, 10:11 PM
I stopped in another Target by my house tonight. I had to pick some tape for the packing I have to do. I decided to run by the Joe section to see what they had. As usuall there was nothing there so i checked out the Star Wars section just to see what they had. There was a little boy there looking at the force battler figures, his dad was standing there watching his son look. I guess the little boy wanted a force battler figure until the dad looked at the price. He told his son that was to much money and told him he could pick out a few of 3 3\4 figures instead. Long story short I watched the little kid pick out 3 figures and was happy as could be. One more Force battler without a home. The funny thing is the Dad spent more money on the 3 figures than it would have cost to buy the Force Battler in the first place. I see a long dark, gloomy future for Sigma Six.

Brad

whakojacko
04-11-2005, 10:21 PM
the little boy wanted a force battler figure until the dad looked at the price. He told his son that was to much money and told him he could pick out a few of 3 3\4 figures instead. Long story short I watched the little kid pick out 3 figures and was happy as could be. The funny thing is the Dad spent more money on the 3 figures than it would have cost to buy the Force Battler in the first place.

BradThis is another downside to Sigma Six. Think about it this way: 2 Sigma 6 figures = $30 TRU exclusive 6 pack plus a comic 3-pack (9 figures) = $30. Not a lot of hopes for getting yourself a large assortment of Sigma Six figures. Imagine army building some of these guys. Good thing they're marketed towards kids :rolleyes:

SecurityPoliceAF_Joe
04-11-2005, 11:08 PM
When I think of the S6 line I can't help but think of the last two experiments away from the 3 3/4 line, Sgt Savage/Screaming Eagles and GI Joe Extreme. These were both big time flops and lead me to think the S6 line will flop as well, it's just not the GI Joe everyone knows and loves. At least when they brought back the 12 inch line people knew what it was.

Hasbro is banking this to be a success based on the TV show and marketing strategy, Mattel thought this with the new He-Man line and look what happened. I just don't think the design of the figures will appeal to kids and the price tag will not appeal to parents. But time will tell.

Spillspleen
04-11-2005, 11:19 PM
I will be buying the complete set...but for my boys...I do not have any interest in them!

jcast
04-12-2005, 11:44 AM
You have also have to factor in that most of us are not going to buy them. Army building is out. So hopefully it will fail.

groundhog7s
04-12-2005, 12:12 PM
As much as I'll miss the 3 3/4 line for a while when S6 is out, at least it'll give me time to fill in some gaps and troop build some more.

Agent Orange
04-12-2005, 03:17 PM
You have also have to factor in that most of us are not going to buy them. Army building is out. So hopefully it will fail.

Unfortunately, Sigma Six is a lose-lose situation for us.

If it succeeds and makes a lot of money, Hasbro will have no incentive to reintroduce 3-3/4" figures. They will just keep producing S6.

It is fails miserably, Hasbro will likely claim GIJoe just won't make them money anymore, and will just scrap GIJoe altogehter.

GI Steevy
04-12-2005, 03:28 PM
This is another downside to Sigma Six. Think about it this way: 2 Sigma 6 figures = $30 TRU exclusive 6 pack plus a comic 3-pack (9 figures) = $30. Not a lot of hopes for getting yourself a large assortment of Sigma Six figures. Imagine army building some of these guys. Good thing they're marketed towards kids :rolleyes:
That may very well be the reason 3.75 is going on hiatus while Hasbro fools around with this project. Without 3.75 on the shelves, buyers have no choice but to get an 8" figure for $10. And trust me, if their kids really want a Sigma Six figure, they WILL get a Sigma Six figure.

Star Wars is fairly big enough to support multiple pricepoints and designs, GI Joe, frankly, cannot.