Cobra-La-boratories [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Cobra-La-boratories

gun metal
04-14-2005, 09:32 PM
I'm sure there has been numerous threads picking fun at the Joe Movie especially Cobra La La La La La La. (sorry couldn't resist)
But I love the Joe movie and I very much liked Cobra-La. But I do have a problem with the idea of a 40,000 year old civilization that was completely unkown to man and CC was a being from that ancient civilization. That just don't sit well w/ me.
Well I wrote a script that presence an alternative to the story. It follows the joe movie and doesn't change what has already been established in the film. If your interested you can check it out here: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=23159

As far as this thread goes, what do y'all generally think about Cobra-La.

Erick
04-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Congrats dude, great work! As for Cobra LA, I think the idea was not bad, but if Hasbro would have suggested something, a little hint of the existence of Cobra LA in the cartoon, fans would've reacted differently. I like the movie as well, the only part I can't stand is: Cobra La La La La La La.! (sorry, couldn't resist too). I also think that the figures were kinda disappointing, especially Nemesis Enforcer. What do you think about the figs gun-metal???

gun metal
04-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Yeah the figs were pretty sorry. I remember being a kid and walking around TRU w/ that three pack in my hands. I was thinking to myself: I don't want this.....why am I holding this.....the snake guy is pretty cool....but the other to guys....WAIT! Whats this....Sgt. Slaughters Renegades!.. Mommy, Mommy I want this one!

gun metal
05-04-2005, 11:19 PM
I was looking up information about the hollow earth theory and found this:

The Ramayana one of the most famous texts of India, tells the story of the great avatar, Rama. It describes Rama as "an emissary from Agartha" who arrived on an air vehicle.

In India there is an ancient belief, still held by some, in a subterranean race of serpent people who dwell in the cities Patala and Bhogavati. According to the legend, they wage war on the kingdom of Agharta. "The Nagas," according to "The Deep Dwellers," "are described as a very advanced race or species, with a highly-developed technology. They also harbor a disdain for human beings, whom they are said to abduct, torture, interbreed with and even to eat."

The Entrances. While the entrance to Bhogavati is somewhere in the Himalayas, believers assert that Patala can be entered through the Well of Sheshna in Benares, India. Says William Michael Mott in "The Deep Dwellers": "According to herpetologist and author Sherman A. Minton, as stated in his book Venomous Reptiles, this entrance is very real, with forty steps which descend into a circular depression, to terminate at a closed stone door which is covered in bas-relief cobras.

CREDIT: crystalinks.com

I think thats pretty cool. Now I've heard before that Cobra-La was a take off of Shangra-la and thought nothing of it. I don't know. I find Cobra-la a bit easier to swollow now since its based on a legend of inhabitants of a hollow earth. Back in the day, many believed the earth was hollow. Even the Nazis experimented with hollow earth theories and planned expeditions to rumored entrances into the earth.

Xerofall
05-05-2005, 01:34 AM
Nemisis Enforcer looked cool on the cartoon, but the figure was horribly disappointing. Those wings looked like a baby bat's wings, and the rubber they were made of didn't allow them to be placed in the back peg hole very well, they fell out all the time. I was going to buy a rubber bat once from the Nature Store and cut the wings off to make a better set for him.

The Royal Guards were cool, but would've looked better if they came with capes like in the cartoon.

Globulous was okay from the waist up, but that tiny snake tail was awful. One time I thought about buying a rubber snake, cutting off the head and glueing his body to it, so at least he had some length. The cartoon of him flying around in that mass of crap was dorky.

Then the fact that Pythona was never released was dorky.

Robot Rabbit
06-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Well, if you ask me, the whole Cobra-La debackle was when the GI Joe cartoon "jumped the shark"..or should I say "jumped the SHARC"? :)

I remember seeing the Cobra-La 3-pack at a Kay-Bee, and not really believing that these were GI Joe figures (they could have been D&D or some other line, but in Joe packaging).

And then when I read "Paradise Lost" in 1990, I realized where they got the name "Cobra-La" from. In fact, the older I got, the more I noticed how much cartoons such as Joe, Transformers, etc. "borrowed" ideas from literature...

buckwheat826
06-15-2005, 03:00 AM
Great stuff. I can hear the background music as I read. Even Roadblock's rhymes are cool. Let's have a dio!

danielmd06
06-15-2005, 05:27 PM
And then when I read "Paradise Lost" in 1990, I realized where they got the name "Cobra-La" from. In fact, the older I got, the more I noticed how much cartoons such as Joe, Transformers, etc. "borrowed" ideas from literature...

That is pretty interesting. I have read Paradise Lost and didn't catch a Cobra-La reference. Where was it so I can go re-read?

I also have read excerpts of the Ramayana and managed to miss the references to the reptilian race within the earth. That is totally cool that the cartoon was researched to that degree.

Oh. And for those of you who are interested in a "hollow earth" fiction...you might want to check out Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne. A good read.

CGC
06-15-2005, 06:14 PM
I think the referance was to Shangra-La.

A similar name, possibly connected.

Robot Rabbit
06-15-2005, 09:46 PM
I think the referance was to Shangra-La.

A similar name, possibly connected.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Both are secret civilizations that live in the mountains and have the suffix of "La" (haven't read Paradise Lost in 16 years, so I'm a bit cloudy on the details). They could have just as easily called it "Shangri-Cobra" instead of "Cobra-La". Try yelling that out loud when attacking Joes.

blackdragon
06-15-2005, 09:49 PM
I liked the movie, but i still like cobra commander as a used car salesman better. COBRA LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA LA LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA LA LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!