Rhino's Sunbow Rights Have Lapsed [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Rhino's Sunbow Rights Have Lapsed

GarrettCRW
05-03-2005, 09:59 AM
It's really early, so I'm going to post here as opposed to update the site.

Anyways, as the title suggests, Rhino's rights to Sunbow programs have lapsed. A member of the Truly OutrageousJem mailing list has received a reply from Rhino's "Dr. Rhino" e-mail address. That e-mail reads:

"A message from the Rhino Video Deptartment:

Rhino's deal with Sunbow, the licensor of
Transformers, GI Joe and Jem, has expired. Sony Music
has acquired them and will reissue these titles at
some point."

So, there you have it. While this means for Transformers fans (and us, too, come to think of it) the hope of corrected sets, Sunbow fans are left, more or less, back at square one.

Xerofall
05-03-2005, 01:35 PM
So is Sony going to redo all the episodes on DVD and re-release all the box sets again?

I'm going to be quite vexed if I have to buy the entire second season just to get the last few episodes Rhino didn't release the first time.

What's to stop Sony from releasing the entire series on DVD in ONE BOX SET?

MikePrime
05-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Good, maybe then we'll get G.I. Joe DVD sets at a decent price and whole seasons in one set.

Stupid, greedy Rhino.

zark1976
05-03-2005, 05:17 PM
bugger. I don't want to have to reaquire something I already have.

Viper gundam
05-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Maybe SONY will not even re-release not thing and just keep the license in a safe some where.

GarrettCRW
05-04-2005, 12:58 AM
Maybe SONY will not even re-release not thing and just keep the license in a safe some where.

I doubt it-Sony made a tidy little profit on the Sunbow videos and DVDs that Rhino put out, after all (the Sunbow library is still in Sony Wonder's hands, I believe). I seriously doubt that they'd pull a Hallmark with the library now.

Xerofall
05-04-2005, 01:38 AM
Crap we were so close to having them all :mad:

Now there is that uncertainty... :confused:

Alison Chains
05-04-2005, 02:44 AM
Wow... That.. really sucks. Especially since they only had one more Jem set to release. I guess this means I need to hurry up and buy the Joe DVDs eh?

the scarecrow
05-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Crap we were so close to having them all :mad:

Now there is that uncertainty... :confused:

Don't push the panic button yet. Just be patient. :)

masteratarms2ndclass
05-04-2005, 08:50 AM
I rec'd the following e-mail Monday morning, but just opened it today - law school finals and such...
Rhino's deal with Sunbow, the licensor of Transformers, GI Joe and Jem, has expired. Sony Music has acquired them and will reissue these titles at some point.

Dr. Rhino"

Sony Music. Great:(.

Xerofall
05-09-2005, 01:02 AM
It's funny that Sony bought GI Joe... Sony is the only name brand to show up on the cartoon series.

:p

From the episode "Cobra's Creatures" http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/xerofall/GI%20Joe/cc1SONY.jpg

:D

Kir Kanos
06-22-2005, 02:34 PM
Man, that really bites. I was hoping to get season 2 pt 2 eventually.

On a side note, anyone know where to get the gi joe miniseries dvd's, that had the Mass Device 6-part series and the Snake Eyes fig?

sinnister
06-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Haven't seen the mini-series's in stores for quite some time. I suppose best bet would be ebay or Curt's site or something. They tend to go for a decent amount of money now because of the figure.

TYPE*S*TOYS
06-23-2005, 08:55 AM
I have the DVD available with the Blue Snake Eyes Figure. These are long out and print and getting very hard to find. Here is a link to them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2467&item=5959827601&tc=photo

orionlukteel
06-23-2005, 10:49 AM
I couldn't tell if I had the right miniseries until Type S posted his link, but I have that set w/o the Snake Eyes figure. He's right - they're not readily available, not even at Fry's or Best Buy.

I saw at least three of these sets in Pittsburgh at CD Warehouse and/or Half-Price Books. I think I got my set for $10 used without the figure; I thought I saw a sealed one with SE for $16.

Wish I still had those stores around!:(

Of course, I just checked Amazon and the prices there are pretty good, too!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000897BT/qid%3D1119538280/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-6375808-3255136

It's a nice set, not quite as nice as the season sets, but still cool.

TYPE*S*TOYS
06-23-2005, 02:38 PM
I couldn't tell if I had the right miniseries until Type S posted his link, but I have that set w/o the Snake Eyes figure. He's right - they're not readily available, not even at Fry's or Best Buy.

I saw at least three of these sets in Pittsburgh at CD Warehouse and/or Half-Price Books. I think I got my set for $10 used without the figure; I thought I saw a sealed one with SE for $16.

Wish I still had those stores around!:(

Of course, I just checked Amazon and the prices there are pretty good, too!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000897BT/qid%3D1119538280/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-6375808-3255136

It's a nice set, not quite as nice as the season sets, but still cool.

I would be careful with the one being sold on Amazon. Although it shows a picture with the Snake Eyes in the box it may not be for this one as they are using a stock photo. My guess is if you order it you will get the standard version WITHOUT the Snake Eyes. If anyone has recently ordered one from Amazon let me know what version they shipped to you.

the scarecrow
07-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Sony contacted me.

We currently do not have a published release date for these titles.
Please stay tuned to http://www.sonypictures.com/ or the website
http://www.imdb.com/ for additional information regarding upcoming Sony
Pictures Home Entertainment releases.

Thank you for your continued patronage and for taking the time to
contact
us.

Regards,

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Consumer Relations

Contact Sony @

[email protected]

Let them know old Joes don't die easy. :D

Icebreaker
07-23-2005, 06:03 PM
I recently sold off all my VHS collection, which wasn't complete, but all the titles I did have were on the GIJOE DVD's. I sold the VHS so I could justify buying the DVD sets (for myself--I only "need" one copy, and the Mrs.-for the cost of them).

Anywho, Best buy was the only place I could find these, so I thought I would pick them up--but they are no longer there, even though the employees (actually super-helpful) said they had a ton of them very recently.

Is there something in the new license agreement that prevents Best buy from selling these?

I tried Amazon, too, but that order kept getting delayed (so I cancelled that).

Any other sources to find s1p1, and s1p2 that anyone knows of?

This I Command!
07-23-2005, 08:05 PM

As of about 2 weeks ago the Wal-Mart near my house had a few copies of S1p2

whakojacko
07-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Yes I've seen them at Walmart recently too. If there is a Curcuit City nearby I'd check them too.

FRED CI
07-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Target has them also thats where i got mine

GothicZanya
07-29-2005, 11:04 PM
we can see the characters on gijoe cartoons DVD alot better than on VHS, that's why I want them all on DVDs (all sunbow and DIC and don't forget gijoe extreme!)

GothicZanya
07-30-2005, 10:44 PM
So is Sony going to redo all the episodes on DVD and re-release all the box sets again?

I'm going to be quite vexed if I have to buy the entire second season just to get the last few episodes Rhino didn't release the first time.

maybe you can try contacting sony if you want the other half of season 2 and ask them if they can have the DIC gijoe cartoons and gijoe extreme.

don't forget the sgt. savage cartoon.

GothicZanya
08-10-2005, 01:09 AM
It's really early, so I'm going to post here as opposed to update the site.

Anyways, as the title suggests, Rhino's rights to Sunbow programs have lapsed. A member of the Truly OutrageousJem mailing list has received a reply from Rhino's "Dr. Rhino" e-mail address. That e-mail reads:

Rhino's deal with Sunbow, the licensor of
Transformers, GI Joe and Jem, has expired. Sony Music
has acquired them and will reissue these titles at
some point."

So, there you have it. While this means for Transformers fans (and us, too, come to think of it) the hope of corrected sets, Sunbow fans are left, more or less, back at square one.

what do you mean some point?

are we going to get the complete cartoons of gijoe, transformers and jem?

GothicZanya
08-11-2005, 08:58 AM

they must do the DIC gijoe caretoons on the DVD sets whole complete episodes including the mini-series operation dragonfire five parts!

I love all the characters of joes/cobra in the DIC gijoe cartoon episodes! most of them from 1989-1992!

you gotta love scoop, general hawk, sgt. slaughter, lady jaye, cobra commander and more!

sidemachine
09-15-2005, 08:57 AM
To GarrettCRW,

Thank you for sharing this information. I was just poking around the website "T.V. Shows on DVD" and I couldn't understand why there was no news about G.I. Joe Season 2 Part 2 coming out on DVD. The news seems to be MAJOR BUMMERS for the cartoon DVD collectors. So close & yet so far. I mean, there were only like 15 more episodes to go to complete the Sunbow DVD G.I. Joe collection, right? Dang.

Well, for all Joe fans' sake (at least those of us who like the cartoons), I hope Sony will be kind enough to release Season 2 Part 2. Have mercy on the fans, why don't they?!

Yo Joe!

sidemachine
Supporting the Joe team since 1983.

Falcone
09-27-2005, 09:44 PM
It's funny that Sony bought GI Joe... Sony is the only name brand to show up on the cartoon series.

:p

From the episode "Cobra's Creatures" http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/xerofall/GI%20Joe/cc1SONY.jpg

:D

i always knew sony was evil....selling to cobra

GothicZanya
10-13-2005, 03:04 AM
To GarrettCRW,

Thank you for sharing this information. I was just poking around the website "T.V. Shows on DVD" and I couldn't understand why there was no news about G.I. Joe Season 2 Part 2 coming out on DVD. The news seems to be MAJOR BUMMERS for the cartoon DVD collectors. So close & yet so far. I mean, there were only like 15 more episodes to go to complete the Sunbow DVD G.I. Joe collection, right? Dang.

Well, for all Joe fans' sake (at least those of us who like the cartoons), I hope Sony will be kind enough to release Season 2 Part 2. Have mercy on the fans, why don't they?!

Yo Joe!

sidemachine
Supporting the Joe team since 1983.

have you try calling sony about the cartoons?

GothicZanya
10-13-2005, 03:15 AM
http://www.joebattlelines.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2152&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

GothicZanya
10-21-2005, 03:24 AM
what will happen after 2005 if we are going to get the last part of the gijoe sunbow season 2 on dvd. I think we are being ripped off my rhino. how could they do this to joe fans?! why?

if sony will do the same thing, we'll have to get hasbro to to do the last season 2 of sunbow on dvd!

Are we going to get them next year? IT'A BEEN 9 MONTHS that we did not get the complete gijoe cartoons on DVD!!

Rhino is already a traitor and what if sony is?

GothicZanya
10-21-2005, 10:14 PM
I recently sold off all my VHS collection, which wasn't complete, but all the titles I did have were on the GIJOE DVD's. I sold the VHS so I could justify buying the DVD sets (for myself--I only "need" one copy, and the Mrs.-for the cost of them).

Anywho, Best buy was the only place I could find these, so I thought I would pick them up--but they are no longer there, even though the employees (actually super-helpful) said they had a ton of them very recently.

Is there something in the new license agreement that prevents Best buy from selling these?

I tried Amazon, too, but that order kept getting delayed (so I cancelled that).

what did ya mean?

Propadeutic
10-21-2005, 10:25 PM
They're still at the Best Buy near my apartment.

I don't think there's any reason to feel betrayed by Rhino. They owe us nothing and to my knowledge never promised to release the entire set. It just happens that Sony was willing to pay more for the rights than Rhino was.

Rhino has given us not only the Joe series, but before that, the best VHS editions of the G.I. Joe and Transformers movies ever released. They did a marvelous job with their releases. Sony has more resources and may be able to do even better.

Sony probably has plans on the table. I support polite, positive assurances to Sony that there is a market for more Joe and Transformers releases, including even DiC's horrid seasons. Anger, threats, or expressions of frustration at other companies would only be counterproductive, but previous fan-based campaigns for DVD releases, cable reruns, and the reviving of the cartoon (in the form of Spy Troops, etc.) seem to have worked in the past.

Business matters such as this are temporary and open to negotiation. We can't count on any company (including Hasbro) to do what we'd like for as long as we'd like. But if we're grateful for what we're given, we may find the "powers that be" more receptive.

GothicZanya
10-22-2005, 12:14 AM
rhino has done the first two mini series of gijoe and gijoe the movie and season 1 two parts.

they did not even finish the season 2!

how could they do this to use?

what about sony, when are they going to listen to us?

Is Sony going to have to do all the cartoons on DVD?

Ask Sony if they can do the last part of season 2 and ask them if they can do the DIC joe cartoons.

Bleak5170
10-27-2005, 09:07 AM
The only consolation is that the second half of the second season was easily the worst of the Sunbow series. I don't miss having it at all, (well the "official" version anyway - bootlegs will do).

Some people have stated that the quality dipped during the latter half of season two simply because Sunbow was concentrating on the movie, and i tend to agree. The art and animation both suffered and the writing was lackluster. Not to mention the entire second season focused too much on just a few characters, (Shipwreck, Leatherneck, Lifeline, Dial-Tone, Beach Head, Wet-Suit etc...). I didn't like the fact so many of the first season's characters were dropped entirely.

GothicZanya
10-30-2005, 10:19 PM
The only consolation is that the second half of the second season was easily the worst of the Sunbow series. I don't miss having it at all, (well the "official" version anyway - bootlegs will do).

Some people have stated that the quality dipped during the latter half of season two simply because Sunbow was concentrating on the movie, and i tend to agree. The art and animation both suffered and the writing was lackluster. Not to mention the entire second season focused too much on just a few characters, (Shipwreck, Leatherneck, Lifeline, Dial-Tone, Beach Head, Wet-Suit etc...). I didn't like the fact so many of the first season's characters were dropped entirely.

AW come on! they're not that bad. they still must have on DVD. I'm a big fan of all the sunbow cartoons! I'm sure there are other fans are too!

Bleak5170
11-14-2005, 07:44 AM
AW come on! they're not that bad. they still must have on DVD. I'm a big fan of all the sunbow cartoons! I'm sure there are other fans are too!

Well i didn't say they were terrible - they just weren't up to the standards set by Season One imo. Any Sunbow G.I. Joe is good, (except the movie) - i was just saying that if i had to sacrifice anything, it would be Season 2, Part 2.

rolandthunder
11-23-2005, 12:28 PM
I have seen alot of people on ebay claiming to have the entire 80s and 90s DVD box sets forsale. I have been thinking about getting them. ARE THEY the complete series or not? I dont want to waist my money

This I Command!
11-23-2005, 12:59 PM
I have seen alot of people on ebay claiming to have the entire 80s and 90s DVD box sets forsale. I have been thinking about getting them. ARE THEY the complete series or not? I dont want to waist my money

well they technically are the complete series however most of the ones available, were created prior to the official DVDs and as such were pieced together using someones VHS collection. So the quality on the episodes can vary anywhere from superb to grainy with mono sound. The only benefit to purchasing one of these sets is that you will accumulate season 2 part 2 with them, but if its within your price range I still recommend buying the official releases more as the picture and sound quality is much nicer and more consistent throughout with the exception of a few flubs like not having the right intro on season 1 part 1 or the audio on Arise Serpentor Arise.

Also if by complete 80s and 90s you mean including the Dic series episodes, then no they aren't complete. Occasionally they will include the 5 episode mini-series Operation Dragonfire as bonus but that is all that it comes with from the Dic series, they do however come with all the Sunbow episodes including the movie. So if your just looking to watch them once and not spend a ton of money in the process then these make an ok alternative to buying the official set.

Bleak5170
11-23-2005, 01:44 PM

Like This I Command said, the quality does vary but the price is right if you go the ebay route. I did that but i have to admit i ended up buying the official Rhino dvds anyway. Once you see how much better the quality is, it's very difficult to go back to bootlegs.
Plus, occasionally you'll come across an edited episode with the ebay sets, whereas the Rhino ones are completely unedited.
Just be careful - some of the ebay sets are way overpriced simply because they come with fancy cases. It's easy enough to make your own so don't pay a lot for a set just because it has nice labels and covers.

Xerofall
11-28-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm telling you guys, I spent $80 to buy the bootlegs a few years back... they are terrible. The seller said the sound and picture quality was 8 out of 10... that was an outright lie.

But he threatened me with neg feedback if I said anything bad about their quality.

See if a seller would sell you just the ones Rhino didn't release, but don't pay too much $$$.

Apochronox
11-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Sony might be waiting for the Blu-Ray Disc to take off before re-releasing the G.I. Joe cartoons. I hope so, anyway.

GothicZanya
12-02-2005, 01:44 AM
Sony might be waiting for the Blu-Ray Disc to take off before re-releasing the G.I. Joe cartoons. I hope so, anyway.

well I'm feeling hurt the we did not get of have all the complete seasons of gijoe cartoons from sunbow and dic on dvd:(

GothicZanya
12-02-2005, 01:46 AM
I'm telling you guys, I spent $80 to buy the bootlegs a few years back... they are terrible. The seller said the sound and picture quality was 8 out of 10... that was an outright lie.

But he threatened me with neg feedback if I said anything bad about their quality.

See if a seller would sell you just the ones Rhino didn't release, but don't pay too much $$$.

we got to make sure sony to have all gijoe cartoons on dvd!

both sunbow and dic and sgt. savage cartoon, gijoe extreme and all the gijoe commericals and tv spots/ads!

GothicZanya
12-02-2005, 01:49 AM

what do ya mean?

GothicZanya
12-02-2005, 02:12 AM

what do ya mean?

Skystriker
12-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Do you think because of the new cartoon series hasbro doesnt want the old series released?

If not why hasnt theire been a graphic novel produced with the marvel comics?

wwwgijoeheavencom
12-31-2005, 04:46 PM
If I remember correctly there have been 5 trade paper backs released of the origional Marvel comic. The down side is that this is only covers about 1/3 of the run and they are not finishing this set. I think it has been over a year since the last trade was issued.

karpenter
01-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Rhino is still putting out Transformers cartoons - I don't understand why they can't finish the GIJoe series.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4422

tank1976
01-02-2006, 10:16 PM
You would figure it would be that hard there are no that many Sunbow eps. late to put on a dvd. that is since they stopped at the last dvd run.

Xerofall
01-06-2006, 10:28 AM
If they ever do get re-released I would like to see the commercial breaks taken out and the PSA's put back in at the end of the episodes.

Bleak5170
01-30-2006, 08:08 AM
If I remember correctly there have been 5 trade paper backs released of the origional Marvel comic. The down side is that this is only covers about 1/3 of the run and they are not finishing this set. I think it has been over a year since the last trade was issued.

I remember reading somewhere that we probably won't see any more tpb from the Marvel series. It sucks but at least we got the best issues covered for the most part.

Kir Kanos
02-01-2006, 07:42 PM

I think I dealt with that same seller. My kid brother bought the complete Sunbow set on VHS from him and they were very poor quality. Do you remember his ebay id by any chance?

Kir Kanos
02-01-2006, 07:44 PM
You would figure it would be that hard there are no that many Sunbow eps. late to put on a dvd. that is since they stopped at the last dvd run.

Yes, and you know IF Sony releases the Sunbow episodes they will start over.

CGC
02-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Very interesting, but why is this thread still STICKY?

Periscope
02-10-2006, 12:30 PM
I agree, for the most part, with everything that has been said. I have been wondering myself about when s2p2 was going to be released. I think the DVD's that have already been released have some value, if for no other reason than the interviews with the writers and cast members. On the new DVD's, should they be re-released, I think they should include more interviews, conducted in a more interesting way, by showing scenes from the show or something. This would give it more of an interesting "Biography" feel, than a boring sit-down with a talking head. Everything they said was interesting, but it could have been presented in a better way.

Secondly, I agree about the PSA's being added on to the ends of the episodes, and I think there should be an option of whether to have the commercial break "GI Joe will be right back" things in there, as was the case for the Serpentor mini-series.

Also, I agree that the commercials for everything should be on there-the original comic commercials, toys, and promotions like that. One of the reasons a lot of people buy DVD's, and why they buy more than one version of the movies (like the "Holy Shnikes" Tommy Boy) is to get the special features. If a DVD is packed with them, even if Joe Punchclock has GI Joe seasons 1&2, if he's a fan, and they re-release the DVD's with more (and better) special features, it's a sure-bet sale.

I also enjoyed the goof up reel, and would welcome something like that. I never listen to these, but, did the original DVD's have a commentary? If not, that would be an interesting thing to hear, using writers, directors, cast members, etc.

It would also be cool to have an interview with Lary Hama or Stan Lee, or even some of the original creators of the figures, such as artists for the package art, and designers of the figures. Sony has a lot of potential with this, I just hope they do it justice, and make us want to use our old DVD's as coasters, right along with the AOL discs.

GothicZanya
02-27-2006, 01:19 AM
I rec'd the following e-mail Monday morning, but just opened it today - law school finals and such...
Rhino's deal with Sunbow, the licensor of Transformers, GI Joe and Jem, has expired. Sony Music has acquired them and will reissue these titles at some point.

Dr. Rhino"

It's been months that we did not hear any word about when are we going to see all the gijoe cartoons from sunbow and dic on DVD!

LOOK, there is nothing wrong with these gijoe cartoons! it's those characters, they look great and I'm a big fan of all of them! all the classic joe cartoons has to be out on DVD!

GI Jim
03-31-2006, 04:41 PM
I've seen on ebay quite a few sellers selling 15 or 18-DVD sets. Anyone buy these? If so, how are they?

GothicZanya
04-29-2006, 05:49 PM
I've seen on ebay quite a few sellers selling 15 or 18-DVD sets. Anyone buy these? If so, how are they?

it's been over a year that we did not get the whole entire sets of gijoe cartoons from sunbow and dic on dvds!

we have to do something about it!

well joe fans, don't just sit there and do whatever you have there! go click on the link and tell them you want the whole entire joe cartoons completed on DVDs!!!

Contact Sony about the GI Joe DVD!

The rights for the GI Joe series (along with other Sunbow series like Transformers and Jem) have been purchased by Sony Music (who's children's division is called Sony Wonder). This leaves the final Season 2 Part 2 DVD up in the air. So far, Sony has not announced any plans to release Season 2 Part 2. So we encourage GI Joe fans to write to them to make sure they at least release S2 Part 2.

You can send Sony feedback using the following form: http://www.sonymusic.com/about/feedback.cgi (Under the Subject pulldown, you can use Sony Wonder)

Or you can write to Sony at:
Sony Music Online Services
550 Madison Ave, 24th Fl
New York, NY 10022-3211

sunbow:

first mini series
second mini series revenge of cobra
season 1
season 2
gijoe the movie

DIC:

mini series operation dragonfire
season 1
season 2

http://www.joeheadquarters.com/commentaries/dicindex.html

Xerofall
05-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Email sent, thanks.

GothicZanya
05-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Email sent, thanks.

even sigma 6 has to be out on DVD sets a complete season of gijoe sigma 6.

here are the list of gijoe cartoons that must be on DVDs!

Sunbow:

gijoe first mini series
gijoe second mini series revenge of cobra
gijoe season 1
gijoe season 2

DIC:

gijoe mini series operation dragonfire
gijoe season 1 (1990-1991)
gijoe season 2 (1991-1992)

Sunbow:

gijoe extreme season 1 and 2

other joe cartoons:

sgt. savage and teh screaming eagles
gijoe sigma 6
all the gijoe commericals

GothicZanya
05-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Email sent, thanks.

ok if you hear any work from the gijoe cartoons on dvd just let us know on this post ok.

CGC
05-11-2006, 12:49 AM
That's a boxed set I'd stand in line for!

GothicZanya
06-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Rhino is still putting out Transformers cartoons - I don't understand why they can't finish the GIJoe series.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4422

So the Transformers cartoons already complete on dvds by rhino?

what about jem?

what I am more concern are all the gijoe cartoons from sunbow and dic (include all the gijoe commercials, all the episodes of gijoe extreme), they must be on dvd sets!

we have to contact sony wonder. all of us joe fans!

Mainframe
06-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Transformers the Movie is coming out on DVD Nov 2006. Sony is doing a big 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD. site is here http://www.transformersthemoviedvd.com/

Rhino still has the rights to Transformers Beastwars, but that has nothing to do with any of the Sunbow shows that Sony Wonder has rights to.

I hope Sony Wonder finishes the GI Joe and Jem DVD releases, but I really wonder if they won't concentrate on Transformers first, considering the Transformers live action movie will be coming out next year.

cobrasoldier
06-24-2006, 09:51 PM
I am glad that someone will be reissuing these. I don't care that I have some...I want them ALL!!

Box set..so be it, another season to get missing episodes..so be it! I don't care as long as they get released........ :eek:

GothicZanya
06-25-2006, 12:12 AM

what do you mean Blue-Ray Disc?

you know there are lots of joe fans are waiting for the gijoe cartoons to be ready on DvDs with digital remastered with picture and sound.

did any joe fans write to sony?

if your a joe fan a joe fan would care for the joe cartoons like me and write to sony.

GothicZanya
06-25-2006, 12:14 AM
Transformers the Movie is coming out on DVD Nov 2006. Sony is doing a big 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD. site is here http://www.transformersthemoviedvd.com/

Rhino still has the rights to Transformers Beastwars, but that has nothing to do with any of the Sunbow shows that Sony Wonder has rights to.

I hope Sony Wonder finishes the GI Joe and Jem DVD releases, but I really wonder if they won't concentrate on Transformers first, considering the Transformers live action movie will be coming out next year.

http://sonywonder.com/

GothicZanya
06-25-2006, 12:16 AM

I hope they do all the gijoe cartoons from sunbow and dic on dvds and the jem cartoons too even I'm not into the jem series.

please someone write to sony!

Quack34
06-27-2006, 05:31 PM
I have the first 3 releases of G.I. Joe on DVD, the Mini-series and the first two parts of Season 1. Never got a chance to pick up Season two at all, but if I get the chance to find one at an FYE I can't pass it up, just because I don't know if SONY will get their butt in gear and give it to us. I already have all the G1 Transformers releases by Rhino and I'm not too upset with them at all, all the botches with it make it fun to watch lol.

Dreadnok4life
07-15-2006, 04:35 AM

Dr. Rhino"

What type of law do you intend on practicing? Hopefully you are leaning toward your local District Attorney's Office.

Bloodstream
09-01-2006, 05:57 AM
I really want Season 2 part 2 and I still need the original mini-series. I'd love to have all the episodes from the DiC series too. I need them all.

I really hope Sony steps to it, and soon.

skinny
09-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I have the first 3 releases of G.I. Joe on DVD, the Mini-series and the first two parts of Season 1. Never got a chance to pick up Season two at all, but if I get the chance to find one at an FYE I can't pass it up,

http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Joe-Season-2-Part-1/dp/B0002LE9FE/sr=8-5/qid=1157158672/ref=pd_bbs_5/002-3376464-6232848?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

try here or your local Borders too

RedClaw
09-03-2006, 01:07 AM
...I still need the original mini-series.

If you're still looking for the two-disk mini-series 1 & 2 DVD set, you have pretty good odds.

That blue v1 Snake Eyes had a production run at around 15,000-20,000 units. And the majority of those figures made it into the DVD set. Adding to that, there were additional sets that were released without the figure, so there are tens of thousands of copies of those first two mini-series out in the wild.

Check eBay, and check online DVD retailers. You can definitely find that set if you want it.

sanake eyes fan
09-03-2006, 02:16 PM
hey guys, newbie here....im sure this has been asked a lot but i missed out on the dvd season 1 and 2 sets released by rhino and its almost impossible to find them now so are there any places where i might get lucky and pick them up(other than e-bay:mad: )? i dont want them used either. also i have a region free dvd player so as a last resort i wouldnt mind getting a pal version but i would prfer getting the us versions first.

Average Joe
09-11-2006, 04:32 PM
This set looks good to be true (see link below). With all the talk about all the episodes not being released...I'm skeptical about this. Is this set legit? If any of you own it, tell me about the quality.
http://www.tvdvdplanet.com/movie/cartoon/G.I._Joe.html?gclid=CPmogou2ocCFRhFCwodmmPh4A

orionlukteel
09-11-2006, 10:16 PM
hey guys, newbie here....im sure this has been asked a lot but i missed out on the dvd season 1 and 2 sets released by rhino and its almost impossible to find them now so are there any places where i might get lucky and pick them up(other than e-bay:mad: )? i dont want them used either. also i have a region free dvd player so as a last resort i wouldnt mind getting a pal version but i would prfer getting the us versions first.

Chances of getting them new in the wrapper are slim and darn near nil. Possible, yes, but doubtful.

Even the used ones are spiking. I got my Season 1 Part 1 set used for $21 off eBay last year and haven't had a single problem. I just went looking for other sets and they're hitting $60 easily - even used sets.

Amazon MIGHT have a couple new, but be prepared to shell out some pretty good money for them.

masteratarms2ndclass
09-12-2006, 08:05 PM
This set looks good to be true (see link below). With all the talk about all the episodes not being released...I'm skeptical about this. Is this set legit? If any of you own it, tell me about the quality.
http://www.tvdvdplanet.com/movie/cartoon/G.I._Joe.html?gclid=CPmogou2ocCFRhFCwodmmPh4A

Wow. I had written Rhino when this flap first happened and they said that they sold the rights to Sony... Makes me suspect that these are some kind of bootleg - no idea though. I see that that the site has a number - maybe they would tell who is distributing it.

skinny
09-14-2006, 09:18 PM
my guess is these are nowhere near the genuine article coz also on that site are sets of seaquest DSV (only season one of that is out) and a complete set of Quantum Leap, and season five of that hasnt been released yet nor is there a release date set yet to my knowledge. All the coupon that came with season four said was "coming soon". the other fishy thing to me is that all these sets claim to have "custom " artwork.

GothicZanya
09-16-2006, 12:20 AM
http://firefly05.proboards39.com/index.cgi#joedic

Bloodstream
10-16-2006, 04:18 AM
If you're still looking for the two-disk mini-series 1 & 2 DVD set, you have pretty good odds.

That blue v1 Snake Eyes had a production run at around 15,000-20,000 units. And the majority of those figures made it into the DVD set. Adding to that, there were additional sets that were released without the figure, so there are tens of thousands of copies of those first two mini-series out in the wild.

Check eBay, and check online DVD retailers. You can definitely find that set if you want it.

Yeah, I just haven't had the money to get it yet. :(

markatisu
10-16-2006, 05:38 PM

Those are definitly bootlegs and by a rip off artist to boot. If you buy from him you will get crap (probably handwritten discs with markers in envelopes) and overpriced to boot.

Your best bet is to look at half.com or ebay.com (same company essentially) , amazon.com will have it for $$$$ because its out of print. The only other places I can think of would be overseas at places like Atlantic.au DVD because the RAH series is slowly being released in R4/Australian DVD this year and last year.

code_name_flint
10-17-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm new hear and didn't want to read through the whole thread. I was aware the Sony now holds the rights to GIJOE. Has anyone got Sony to comment on when they might make these ?

markatisu
10-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Many people have written to them to express their concern about getting GI Joe released onto official DVD (at least the RAH/Sunbow version) and most of it goes unheard or just the generic response.

They will not release DIC or Extreme until RAH/Sunbow is done and I would bet that they will re-release beginning with the Mini Series and go from there but that is not official and Sony is staying quite silent on the topic.

Several members here have the banner in their thread on how to contact Sony and express your interest in the official release.

HardaTaq
10-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Wow. I had written Rhino when this flap first happened and they said that they sold the rights to Sony... Makes me suspect that these are some kind of bootleg - no idea though. I see that that the site has a number - maybe they would tell who is distributing it.

Wow...I've got an insurance check coming in the mail and those are looking quite tasty...Truthfully, I don't care whether or not they're just re-burned copies of the originals, I just want to see the old shows without having to pay $400 for season fragments. I haven't been able to find any decent torrents for it either :(

Does anyone have these?

markatisu
10-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Does anyone have these?

I pm'd you with some info that might help you out in your search to get the Rhino releases.

code_name_flint
10-17-2006, 11:06 PM
I know what you mean. I've been really tempted to buy bootleg copies. I mean how else are you going to watch the episodes again. The DIC episodes have never been released, the parts that have been released of the sunbow episodes are out of production and selling for rediculous prices on ebay. Then there is parts that haven't even been released of the Sunbow collection. I have to cycle between the dvd set of MASS and Revenge of cobra, the movie on vhs and some tapes i have from when i was a kid that I taped off of fox. I have like 10 misc episodes, the rise serpentor series and operation dragonfire.

markatisu
10-17-2006, 11:22 PM
I know what you mean. I've been really tempted to buy bootleg copies. I mean how else are you going to watch the episodes again. The DIC episodes have never been released, the parts that have been released of the sunbow episodes are out of production and selling for rediculous prices on ebay. Then there is parts that haven't even been released of the Sunbow collection. I have to cycle between the dvd set of MASS and Revenge of cobra, the movie on vhs and some tapes i have from when i was a kid that I taped off of fox. I have like 10 misc episodes, the rise serpentor series and operation dragonfire.

Just make sure whoever you get them from (and this applies to all Joe fans) that its the duplicates of the Rhino retail releases you are getting. The fan made Real American Hero set is awful compared to the Rhino release.

Also if you ever see the DIC or GI Joe Extreme sets available by individuals make sure its my high quality set they are peddling or else you will be VERY dissapointed.

NOTE: I am not encouraging piracy but some fans go down those roads and they should be well informed.

GothicZanya
10-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Just make sure whoever you get them from (and this applies to all Joe fans) that its the duplicates of the Rhino retail releases you are getting. The fan made Real American Hero set is awful compared to the Rhino release.

Also if you ever see the DIC or GI Joe Extreme sets available by individuals make sure its my high quality set they are peddling or else you will be VERY dissapointed.

NOTE: I am not encouraging piracy but some fans go down those roads and they should be well informed.

if sony won't have all gijoe cartoons on dvds that means they are a big rip offs! why won't sony listen to customers?

ok you all joe fans if you see a site like this http://www.tvdvdplanet.com/movie/cartoon/G.I._Joe.html and does not have a good pic just mark's gijoe dvds he has there, please don't get them you be loosing your money, just wais until the company have the gijoe cartoon stuff for dvds.

so who is going to take over the sunbow gijoe cartoons for dvds?

GothicZanya
10-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Those are definitly bootlegs and by a rip off artist to boot. If you buy from him you will get crap (probably handwritten discs with markers in envelopes) and overpriced to boot.

Your best bet is to look at half.com or ebay.com (same company essentially) , amazon.com will have it for $$$$ because its out of print. The only other places I can think of would be overseas at places like Atlantic.au DVD because the RAH series is slowly being released in R4/Australian DVD this year and last year.

if your gijoe cartoons you have on dvds you added, that means they are not bootlegs just the site you mention to other members, the bootlegs means not a good pic quality?

markatisu
10-20-2006, 12:40 AM
If you are asking about atlantic.au that is an official store in Australia, they have licensed official GI Joe DVD's but they are REAL slow in their releases. They just might get to Season 2 Part 2 before Sony but only time will tell. But they are 100% legal and REAL licensed DVD's.

DIC and GI Joe Extreme have never been on DVD outside the fan project I created the last 18 months which is only intended for their use in preserving the shows history and contents for reviews and commentary (I wish they had retail releases and continue to support anyone who hounds Sony and Hasbro).

Fans should only be buying the retail Rhino releases (which are now out of print) or wait for the Sony (if it ever happens!) retails. If an overseas release comes available that would be worth the money too since they will be using the same or similar source to what Rhino did.

RedClaw
10-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Y'know guys, we've been trying - TRYING - to turn a blind eye towards discussion, but this is becoming pretty blatant on who, what, when and where to get these ILLEGAL (not gray, illegal) DVD sets.

Enough is enough, seriously.

GothicZanya
10-20-2006, 03:45 AM
If you are asking about atlantic.au that is an official store in Australia, they have licensed official GI Joe DVD's but they are REAL slow in their releases. They just might get to Season 2 Part 2 before Sony but only time will tell.

As for that tvplanet, it all depends, there are 2 fan made Real American Hero sets that circulate among websites and eBay. A 15 DVD one that was made about 3 1/2 years ago and includes GI Joe the Movie and Operation Dragonfire 1-5. Then I have seen on eBay and various websites a 24 DVD set that includes the same as well as Spy Troops/Valor vs Venom/Ninja Battles (obviously copies from their releases)

DIC and GI Joe Extreme have never been on DVD outside the fan project I created the last 18 months which is only intended for their use in preserving the shows history and contents (I wish they had retail releases and continue to support anyone who hounds Sony and Hasbro).

And then there is Rhino's releases, which is everything Sunbow except the final 15 episodes.

Sooooo that in a nutshell is the history of GI Joe on DVD (Both legal and illegal/grey area)

Fans should only be buying the retail Rhino releases (which are now out of print) or wait for the Sony (if it ever happens!) retails. If an overseas release comes available that would be worth the money too since they will be using the same or similar source to what Rhino did.

I am merely trying to help point desperate joe fans away from bad stuff so they dont waste their money

I told the fans don't go buy the gijoe dvds on other sites. they said it was taped and recored on dvds. I did not get them other there.

we all got to write and write. sony must listen to customers.

markatisu
10-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Sorry about that :o

Lets hope Sony does something next year for the Anniversary! All we can do is keep bothering them to release the sets.

I think they are going to re-release JEM (according to reports and what they said at some recent conventions) so I think thats a positive sign.

Also it has been reported (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=113297) that Sony is going to re-release/release the G1 Transformers show next year which means they are doing something....we can only wait for GI Joe to come out!!

HAWK1986
11-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Here's an idea, this might even make the news and then it would force Sony to release the shows:

Everyone who is near any Sony headquarters of any kind, round up all of your JOE pals in the area and converge on the offices of Sony! Dress as your favorite character and stand outside for hours or days if you have the time and keep chanting "YO-JOE, DVD! YO-JOE, DVD!" If everyone does this and gets at least 5 other people to do this, it will convince the powers that be at Sony to release these coveted episodes. Unless of course Sony has been taken over by Cobra...

markatisu
11-04-2006, 09:09 AM
That would be a sight to see but would probably get us arrested more than anything else :cool:

I just dont know why its taking them so long, I mean its GI Joe so its going to sell regardless, it was re-released on VHS many times and people still bought it.

HAWK1986
11-05-2006, 04:12 PM
My guess is Sony will release the Transformers around the time the movie comes out. Based on how sales go for the film and dvds, they will most likely release GI JOE on dvd to test the waters on its sales. My bet from there is that if sales do well, we will see a JOE movie soon after.

Once again the fate of GI JOE depends on how well Transformers does at the box office. All sounds very much like a similar situation that occured about 20 years ago doesn't it?

Now if DIC gets involved again somehow...

I won't go on, it may cause me nightmares to even think about it.

GothicZanya
12-01-2006, 02:38 AM
about the gijoe cartoons on dvds, they still need to be on dvds all joe toons. i will mention it at the san diego comic con!

GothicZanya
12-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Sorry about that :o

Lets hope Sony does something next year for the Anniversary! All we can do is keep bothering them to release the sets.

I think they are going to re-release JEM (according to reports and what they said at some recent conventions) so I think thats a positive sign.

Also it has been reported (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=113297) that Sony is going to re-release/release the G1 Transformers show next year which means they are doing something....we can only wait for GI Joe to come out!!

mark if your going to a convention, please mention about the gijoe cartoons that should be on dvds.

GothicZanya
12-01-2006, 02:41 AM
That would be a sight to see but would probably get us arrested more than anything else :cool:

I just dont know why its taking them so long, I mean its GI Joe so its going to sell regardless, it was re-released on VHS many times and people still bought it.

not all episodes on vhs, they must re release every joe eps on dvds

GothicZanya
12-01-2006, 02:42 AM
My guess is Sony will release the Transformers around the time the movie comes out. Based on how sales go for the film and dvds, they will most likely release GI JOE on dvd to test the waters on its sales. My bet from there is that if sales do well, we will see a JOE movie soon after.

Once again the fate of GI JOE depends on how well Transformers does at the box office. All sounds very much like a similar situation that occured about 20 years ago doesn't it?

Now if DIC gets involved again somehow...

I won't go on, it may cause me nightmares to even think about it.

that is a great idea, all we have to do is get joe fans to write and write to sony that they have to have it on dvds!

thegamegeek
01-09-2007, 04:28 PM
I think Sony will concentrate on the Transformers first considering the Live Action is coming out this year. Then hopefully after that they can concentrate on the GI Joe DVD's. Where do I need to write them to ask them to do this.

MacGyver
01-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi! Brand new here! I'm a long time fan of GI Joe and just getting back to my addiction after a long time because my son is now a collector. This is exactly the thread I was looking for because I hated to start buying the first 3 sets of DVDs and never get the rest. Still haven't made sense of whether or not that last set will release, but it sounds like maybe there's hope!

Just a note on that tvondvdplanet set...I've been emailing those folks and they are very vague when answering my questions. I've no doubt they're illegal, even tho they told me they are retailing them for a "licensed producer." They evaded telling me who that producer was. Even tho it'd be nice to have the whole set, I don't trust them! Wait (*patiently taps fingers*) for news on an OFFICIAL release.

Thanks! I look forward to getting to know you all!

markatisu
01-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Just a note on that tvondvdplanet set...I've been emailing those folks and they are very vague when answering my questions. I've no doubt they're illegal, even tho they told me they are retailing them for a "licensed producer." They evaded telling me who that producer was. Even tho it'd be nice to have the whole set, I don't trust them! Wait (*patiently taps fingers*) for news on an OFFICIAL release.

They are bootleggers and they are lying to you to make a sale, thats the gods honest truth.

I wish Sony would just release the sets so people can stop being duped by people on the net.

Snake In The Grass
01-22-2007, 03:11 PM
I think this is great. I really hope Sony re-releases the G.I.Joe series again with better animated menus and stylish packaging.

Janus
01-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Yeah me too. I missed them when they were first released and am not really looking to pay what they seem to be going for on ebay.

RedClaw
01-24-2007, 11:25 AM
If there was ever an opportunity to release the episodes on DVD again, this year would be the year.

So we will have to wait and see, but I have a good feeling about this year.

sithviper
01-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Amazon still has the Rhino sets here (http://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-0848846-0285411?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=G.I.+Joe&Go.x=15&Go.y=12). Unfortunately they are expensive, $85 and up

MOTUfan
01-26-2007, 12:51 AM
I never got any of the Rhino releases. Is it true they goofed up on the opening credits?? I think I read somewhere that the Season Two Serpentor openings were on Season One episodes, and that some of the PSAs were missing. If Sony releases these on DVD in the coming year or so, do you think they will be fixed??

Brent

markatisu
01-26-2007, 08:22 AM
Yes they did goof, whats ironic though is if you go to the actual episode menu and look at the chapters they show the s1 intro in the thumbnail on the menu.

You start the episode and it plays the S2 intro lol

gnawgahyde
01-26-2007, 10:20 AM
*admin edit - DO NOT solicit the sale of bootleg dvds or cartoons!*

RedClaw
01-26-2007, 10:34 AM
I have the season 2 part 2 episodes from when they were playing them on USA if anyone needs info on them PM me. I can make copies too but I don't know if that is allowed or not.

*GIANT ADMIN WARNING!*

If you solicit, sell, buy, trade or do anything will bootleg copies of G.I.Joe cartoon, you WILL - no foolin - be banned!

WHY can't people grasp this concept!?

When you sign up you see the board policies, you KNOW the rules.If you try to buy or sell illegal copies of cartoons or comics you are banned. Period. I've even posted warning in these very threads!

I just don't get why people cannot respect our policies that are for the benefit of EVERYONE?

MOTUfan
01-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Yes they did goof, whats ironic though is if you go to the actual episode menu and look at the chapters they show the s1 intro in the thumbnail on the menu.

You start the episode and it plays the S2 intro lol

Thats one thing I did not know Mark :)

I still hope Sony does something or give the rights to BCI Eclipse :)

Brent

markatisu
01-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Thats one thing I did not know Mark :)

I still hope Sony does something or give the rights to BCI Eclipse :)

Brent

I think thats doubtful, BCI could do a better job but Sony is in tight with Hasbro at the moment.

I would expect if nothing else we will at least get an announcement, it might be for 2008 releases but I think we will hear something.

HAWK1986
02-27-2007, 02:50 AM
Hey guys, I'm back after a couple of months of a ton of other things going on in my life. Family crisis's and so forth.

Good to be back though. I have to admit, I thought I'd make it back to this thread and find that by now there would be an answer to when these will be released. No such luck.

Freakin' Sony. Just release the shows! It's not that hard! Jeez!

I mean, if Jem sold, they know GI JOE will! I mean come on! Jem? JEM?!!! This is outrageous! Truly, truly, truly outrageous!

I still hold to my theory that we'll see something shortly after the live action Transformers comes out.

markatisu
03-18-2007, 10:45 AM
This is NOT good for GI Joe on DVD

SonyWonder Goes Under; Uncertain Future For Transformers DVDs! (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7039)

Shogi
03-18-2007, 06:24 PM
That's a bummer about GI Joe but the fact that Transformers won't get re-done made me laugh. Sure the sets are expensive, but they're not that hard to find and the series was already finished! Instead of focusing on a product that already exsists, they should have started off with the other titles they had the rights to. Hopefully someone else will pick up GI Joe.....maybe the anniversary will boost people's interest

Katzenbogen
03-31-2007, 09:39 PM
I think what that means is that as soon as Sony Wonder folds, the parent Sony company will sell the rights to G.I. Joe and Transformers, since there would be no purpose in holding them if they aren't going to release any new sets. I would think that whoever picks them up would do so with the only purpose of releasing them at some point. I wouldn't worry too much, but it does mean it'll probably be somewhat longer of a wait if these shows are actually ever rereleased.

Pimp daddy destro
04-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Hello I am looking for the The Pyramid of Darkeness and Arise, Serpentor, Arise Mini-Series on DVD.

I know they are on they are on the Full Season DVD's but I am only interested in the Mini-Series whether on DVD or VHS.

Can anyone help?

CGC
04-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Hello I am looking for the The Pyramid of Darkeness and Arise, Serpentor, Arise Mini-Series on DVD.

I know they are on they are on the Full Season DVD's but I am only interested in the Mini-Series whether on DVD or VHS.

Can anyone help?
Please do not hijack threads with want adds. If your post in the wanted forum isn't answered, feel free to bump it in a few days.

Shogi
05-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Well I guess sony found something to do with the rights what with the internet tv thing they have an agreement with now......wonder if that means they'll never make dvds of them

General Scarlett
05-01-2007, 10:11 PM
You'd think that with the 25th anniversary gearing up they'd take their heads outta their @$$es and package this stuff up and 'ride the money train to the bank'.................I mean, jeez!! Look at some TV shows now.......they don't even FINISH the season and it's already available on DVD!!!!

C'MON!!!!!!:mad:

Quack34
05-12-2007, 09:31 PM
If BCI is smart they would jump on these two franchises, GI Joe and Transformers. They have done an amazing job putting out the He-Man dvd's and fans I'm sure would back me on this idea.

Tenric
05-13-2007, 01:49 AM
I cannot believe how much the old DVDs are going for on eBay. I could never afford the last one that I need from the Rhino collection. :(

skoch59
06-08-2007, 07:32 PM
WEA Corp owns the GI Joe series and they have no plans as of right now on releasing the GI Joe series... As some of you may know WEA Corp disptributes for Rhino... I talked to a couple executives from WEA Corp and they just say you will have to wait till next year....

Desslar
06-11-2007, 02:08 AM
If BCI is smart they would jump on these two franchises, GI Joe and Transformers. They have done an amazing job putting out the He-Man dvd's and fans I'm sure would back me on this idea.

That would be a great idea, although I hear BCI is having some financial toruble lately. Maybe the Joes could be the homerun they need.

1st Sgt. Conrad Hauser
06-11-2007, 06:02 AM
That would be a great idea, although I hear BCI is having some financial toruble lately. Maybe the Joes could be the homerun they need.

Really? Wow, that's a shame because they really have done a great job with their 80's toons like MOTU, D&D, Bravestarr, Blackstar etc. It'd be great if they got ARAH and TF :D

Quack34
06-13-2007, 11:42 AM
WEA Corp owns the GI Joe series and they have no plans as of right now on releasing the GI Joe series... As some of you may know WEA Corp disptributes for Rhino... I talked to a couple executives from WEA Corp and they just say you will have to wait till next year....

Where did you hear about this, last I knew SONY still had the rights when they collapsed and filed chapter 11....not all of SONY of course, just the company that had the rights.

GothicZanya
06-14-2007, 03:29 AM
they must have all gijoe cartoons on DVDs!!!

we might as well have to go to a comic con and talk to hasbro about that!

1st Sgt. Conrad Hauser
06-26-2007, 01:30 AM
Came across this item on tvshowsondvd.com... Not a confirmation of anything, but maybe a small break in the clouds? :)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7539

deadmanjeff
06-26-2007, 06:27 PM
i hope that sony or whoever will release the rest of gi joe season 2 on dvd maybe when transformers the new movie comes out on dvd because a lot of people like myself like both

karamazov80
06-28-2007, 06:02 PM
This may or may not be relevant, but I rented the re-release of the Transformers (cartoon) movie DVD last week, and a commercial there mentioned that the Transformer cartoons were coming to DVD in 2007. If true, as this seems related to the new TF movie, maybe the hype surrounding a live action Joe movie would lead to the re-release of Joe cartoons on DVD.

deadmanjeff
06-28-2007, 06:33 PM
i can't wait for more dvds to be released at a specific time i need em now(i just rented the miniseries today)

ImaWalkingCorpse
06-28-2007, 10:17 PM
I do think we are getting closer to the GI Joe's being re-released on DVD in Season set form and entire series form. As well as the Transformers DVD's.

papavader
07-02-2007, 08:39 PM
I hope so. Rhino version of TF was plastered with problems absent from the TV show and the Joes DVD are too pricey at the moment...:(

Really hoping for a fresh start on both...

fireflys_apprentice
09-15-2007, 08:58 AM
I know whats with over 60 bucks for half a season. Just not right, I mean i enjoy the show but i enjoy eating more.fans on a budget just cant afford that sort of scratch. Hasbro should just take the bull by the horns and release their own sets, or maybe now that marvel has their own movie making thing going on,release it threw them.

smokehouse
11-04-2007, 01:11 PM
This may or may not be relevant, but I rented the re-release of the Transformers (cartoon) movie DVD last week, and a commercial there mentioned that the Transformer cartoons were coming to DVD in 2007. If true, as this seems related to the new TF movie, maybe the hype surrounding a live action Joe movie would lead to the re-release of Joe cartoons on DVD.
Sony/BMG aquired the rights of the cartoon TF line under the conpany called SonyWonder...they then announced the closing of SonyWonder in early 2007 and have held all it rights in limbo including Transformers/Sesame Street and others.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Transformers/7039

It really sucks, depending on how long they hold on to the rights, it could be a LONG timebefore we see ANY TF stuff...

I'm not sure who has the publishing rights to GI Joe...

Wylde Weezle
01-02-2008, 08:36 AM
I tried using the search feature with no luck...and I'm new here so I apologize if this is a tired question: did anyone release the DIC show on DVD? I only learned about its existence through YouTube 'cause this whole 25th anniversary got me on a nostalgia kick. Thanks

Erick
01-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Idid anyone release the DIC show on DVD? I only learned about its existence through YouTube 'cause this whole 25th anniversary got me on a nostalgia kick. Thanks

Nobody did, such a shame :mad:

Quack34
01-06-2008, 10:09 PM
How could no one have plans to release the rest of the series or re-release all of them....they should have done the same thing with the Transformers as well.....grrrrrr jerks.

Erick
01-07-2008, 01:45 AM
How could no one have plans to release the rest of the series or re-release all of them....they should have done the same thing with the Transformers as well.....grrrrrr jerks.

Trust me, someone will release those when the movie craze begins! (early-mid '09)

Janus
01-07-2008, 11:29 PM
This has prolly been posted already, but just in case.

http://www.hasbro.com/monkeybartv/default.cfm?page=Entertainment/Videos/VideoSelect&aid=1656

This a link to Hasbro's site. It has "director's cuts" of the old cartoons.

jaimanstone
01-08-2008, 05:20 PM
*EDIT*

No posting links to pirated material.

jaimanstone
01-08-2008, 05:22 PM
I know whats with over 60 bucks for half a season. Just not right, I mean i enjoy the show but i enjoy eating more.fans on a budget just cant afford that sort of scratch. Hasbro should just take the bull by the horns and release their own sets, or maybe now that marvel has their own movie making thing going on,release it threw them.

I WISH they were still $60! It seems the cheapest on ebay are around $100 or more for a half season.

I even thought I'd be smart about it and rent it from blockbuster online. I was on the waiting list over six months for the first season and never got it. We ended up cancelling last month because they grossly changed the plan.

Jaiman

Ramhoss
01-09-2008, 09:32 PM
*EDIT*

No posting links to pirated material.

justking81
01-18-2008, 07:52 PM
I WISH they were still $60! It seems the cheapest on ebay are around $100 or more for a half season.

I have all three volumes, plus the movie and mini-series. It's crazy to think of how much they're going for these days (they were expensive enough as new releases!). There's some going for $60-75 on eBay.

I'm also tempted to put mine on there because I know Sony will do their own sets (and finish up the series, *fingers crossed*) once the movie comes out. :)

Wylde Weezle
01-23-2008, 11:53 AM
I think the best animation quality of the whole series came in those first two 5-part story arcs - "Mass Device" and "Revenge of Cobra".

performula
01-23-2008, 12:38 PM
I think the best animation quality of the whole series came in those first two 5-part story arcs - "Mass Device" and "Revenge of Cobra".

From what I read; I believe here, some of the material was lost? Something about one of the Public Service Announcements being sourced from a recording and not the master copy?

Kir Kanos
03-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Trust me, someone will release those when the movie craze begins! (early-mid '09)

This seems to be our best chance. I too bought both parts of season 1, the first part of season 2, the movie, and the miniseries set. I am sure if/when the cartoons are re-released, they will start from scratch.

Quack34
03-26-2008, 09:46 AM
I'd really love to agree....but that's what I thought along with some others when Transformers came out.....no new season sets of G1....although that was complete when it came out and GI Joe still has yet to be complete, which is just an utter shame....someone get on the ball and get it to the consumers!!!

Periscope
03-26-2008, 10:13 PM
They're coming out with those on DVD with the new figure movie packs. Mass Device, Weather Dominator, and they're coming out with packs for the other 5 part mini series, so I've been told. But, let's have a re-release of all of the old GI Joe cartoons, from Sunbow-DIC, and maybe even have a special set of Sgt Savage and Extreme together, for the completists, and maybe a Sigma 6 set, just to finish the whole bunch...although the Sigma 6 ones would probably be for the people with kids or a high tolerance for bad Japanimation...

I80skid
03-31-2008, 02:29 AM
I'm not sure why they would be waiting for the movie? The same people who will buy it then are the same people who would've bought 2-4 years ago. The series isn't ugly enough animation wise or violent & pointless enough for today's generation to want to see it.