So anyone want to place bets on how long before Sigma 6 is cancelled? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : So anyone want to place bets on how long before Sigma 6 is cancelled?

KolobosRexx
05-16-2005, 02:21 PM
...I mean, honestly! Those things are crap, & overpriced crap at that! I don't see them lasting beyond 2-3 waves & 6 months at the most... Whoever dreamed up this idea should be subjected to the corporate firing squad! The amount of $$$ that Hasbro is likely to lose on this line, based on the increased manufacturing & packaging cost is gonna nail them where it hurts bigtime! Meanwhile, the online store items will rake in the sales like gangbusters...:D

review-this
05-16-2005, 02:22 PM
i say it will never reach series 2, just a bunch of crap imo

bluebikerboy1
05-16-2005, 02:28 PM
with the cartoon out and all i say a year tops.

ChemViper
05-16-2005, 02:33 PM
They may not be that bad. The SW figures of that type seem to sell at a decent pace in my area. My son actually enjoys playing with them. Keeping in mind he is 5, maybe they will be popular with kids. That is the target consumer, right? I have not seen a kid purchase 3 3/4" Joes in a while (even the SW 3 3/4" stuff, 2 different cashiers commented that they never see kids buying them, only adults). Trends always change. I do not see any point in being bitter about it. I will but the Sigma Six to play with with my kids. I bet the will be fun.

Just a thought.

Deogg
05-16-2005, 02:44 PM
I give it a year at the VERY most.

blackdragon
05-16-2005, 02:46 PM
I think they won't go into a 2nd series. But watch them be as big as power rangers were years ago. lol. Parents fighting in the aisles to get their kid the one sigma six figure he wants. It will be chaos i tell you, chaos!

statesofeuphoria
05-16-2005, 03:01 PM
I predict the 2nd series will be hard to find because the 1st series will be clogging the shelves still (especially Duke and Spirit). It will be cancelled shortly thereafter.

Cold Slither
05-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Hmmm, it is a risky venture for Hasbro. But, unlike sgt savage or joe extreme, sigma 6 does have established characters (well, so did BTR). I'll get some after they go on sale.

yo-man2
05-16-2005, 03:22 PM
i think the star wars force battlers bombed big time,

singma six first wave does ok, second wave does good when the cartoon is on, cartoon canned and moved to late night tonami, third wave is very tuff to find

joebahama
05-16-2005, 03:31 PM
I say by Christmas they are through. They'll be on clearance by January.

rah-digga
05-16-2005, 04:56 PM
I've seen cornier things come the flourish as far as toylines are concerned. Power Rangers anyone? Why this hasn't died a death of a 1000 deaths is beyond me.

As it stands the figures are a noville idea but I won't get them because they're overused figs and of characters I don't have any attachment towards. If they did a Flint with a v1 resemblence, I'd get it. Same with a Lady Jaye (v1).

I won't discount Sigma yet.

Denethore
05-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Sigma Six will last as long as the cartoon series last, look at the power rangers, ninja turtles, batman, grown ups buy whatever toy series they see their kids are watching and want to play with.

Deogg
05-17-2005, 12:19 PM
S6 will be the cornerstone of TRU's 90%-off-green-tag-clearance sale come year's end.

And they STILL won't get touched.

This is hands down Hasbro's DUMBEST idea ever spawned. They'll realize it when the line tanks miserably.

MikePrime
05-17-2005, 01:15 PM
I think it will last two years at the most.

Look at He-Man and Ninja Turtles. He-Man died and I don't see all of those TMNT figures flying off the pegs.

John from Hasbro
06-24-2005, 08:18 AM
hi all - new to the forum. due to hasbro rules, I can't say anything that isn't public domain. plus, mr. stall, wayne, or billy at the con could answer any questions you have on spot. just wanted to make myself available to the collector public for some questions and stuff.

I work on sigma 6, I really believe in it and am honestly really excited about it as a fan and collector. being one of the lead designers on the project and 'toon - I have seen it since it's inception, and I 'm happy to say I believe it will exceed everybody's expectations.

we designed the brand with kids in mind - plain in simple. the toys are rock-solid durable and come with some of the coolest features I've ever seen in a toy. the show is turing out to be one of the best cartoons ever. it takes my breath away every time I see something new. the production team is out of this world.

so, in answer to the question in this thread - I think Sigma 6 will be around for a long while. I love classic RAH, but I respect and love Sigma 6, and can't wait to see the stuff fly off the shelves. it's about time that kids of today have a real hero that isn't a turtle or a man-spider. once you guys actually see it in person and play withthe gear, pose out the figures - they are really hard to put down. check them out at the con if you get a chance. the team here is all really proud of them.

SoulcatcherX
06-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Since I haven't even seen the figs yet, I can't pass judgement. I hope the line does well, if for nothing else than to keep the franchise in the more public eye and to really irritate the nay-sayer's nerves.That being said... can someone give me a link to some good pics. That way I can become informed. :D

The MASS Device
06-24-2005, 09:02 AM
It's nice to have John come on and share his perspective. I can't say what kids like these days. But I imagine that the success of the toy line will depend to a large degree on the cartoons. If the cartoons are good, then the toys will sell, because they look like quality items.

tiger_45
06-24-2005, 09:22 AM
I agree The cartoon could make or break the sigma 6 toy line. I am looking forward to buying them, however it will be only one of each instead of my normal 2 of everything. I wish hasbro would at least give one brick and mortar store the option of selling the 3 3/4 line right next to the sigma 6. I am having withdrawals due to not seeing any figs on the pegs at our local Wal Mart. I work security there and the time really goes by much slower now. So even the sigma 6 will be an eye pleaser.

thorn
06-24-2005, 12:50 PM
WOOOOOO HHOOO!!! nicE1 we got an actual hasbro personage on here! excellent!

if they dont overproduce sigma six, it might be ok. i could see having a couple of them myself, and you never know what the kids will like.
they wont last like 3 3/4, but they might be around awhile, especially if the toon is good

thoughtcrime
06-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Cool to see a Hasbro rep come on and make a post!

Personally I'm not interested in Sigma 6 - then again its not for the collectors as John stated. Its not the size that turns me off, its the anime flavor. I suspect many collectors feel the same way.

Collectors dont want them, which means kids wont have to compete for their availability. I hope the kids do dig 'em, I really can't tell. The line may last a year or more, but I dont see them having the 20+ year staying power of 3 3/4.

MikePrime
06-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Nice of someone from Hasbro to post here.

I don't care for Sigma 6, but I hope the kids to like it. They need to get away from WWE figures and Yu-Gi-Oh cards, because that's all they seem to want.

GI Steevy
06-24-2005, 04:27 PM
I think the line has a great deal of potential, and knowing Hasbro might have a second wave of figures ready to go before Christmas gives me great hope.

I think far too many are not giving this line a fair chance. We have new figures through HTS, let's see if Hasbro can capture kids' minds with this new line. As is, I do plan on buying a few, though not many due to my budgetary constraints.

drveovru2
06-24-2005, 04:35 PM
i am like everyone else, its nice to here from a hasbro rep on this site.

I am not going to pass judgement on the sigma six, but i will let my 5 year old do so. i will get him a few and hope he likes them. i am a rah collector. maybe he will become a sigma six collector.. i am just tired of buying teen titans and scooby doo stuff. i think a cartoon was the best marketing idea to help toys. if my son isnt playing with toys, he is watching the cartoon.

I hope they make a video game...

my son is starting to play video games and the first ones he picks out are the scooby doo ones... he like the toys and cartoons so he wants the video game as well.

I would like to see the line do well but not so well that they decide to cut the 3 3/4 inch joes....

a good cartoon will make or break it. i only played with joes because i watched the cartoon. soon after it went off the air, i quit playing gijoe and moved on.

KolobosRexx
06-25-2005, 02:08 AM
I'm noticing from the production artwork that many designs are based on upcoming figures & vehicles from the 3/4 line (or vice-versa?), such as Scrap-Iron, the B.A.T version 5, Cobra Commander's new Battle-Armor, the new H.I.S.S... That said, I think most of these designs are utter dookie. Sorry, but unless this show is the best thing since Gargoyles, Batman:TAS, or even Thundercats, it's got a long road ahead of it.

statesofeuphoria
06-25-2005, 07:32 AM
I think it is funny how attitudes change as soon as a "representative" from Hasbro posts something. I hope this line does well, I really do but the fact of the matter is they look like crap. Curiosity will get collectors to buy a few at first, but the stylised big hands/big feet syndrome is a look that many collectors (including myself) just don't like. I actually like the production drawings shown at the con and Gonzo studios produces top quality work, but I just don't see that as enough to save this line. An unpopular scale with an unpopular cartoony look with an unpopular price point equals disaster IMO.

Apochronox
06-25-2005, 07:56 AM
Anything can happen these days.

Liokaiser
06-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Well watching Many of Gonzo's series. I really do hope that hasbro gets some questions dealing with how 4shame (4Kids) likes to ruin some shows.

I mean, I can picture some great fight scenes between SnakeEyes and Stormshadow that could be hacked up to heck and highwater (and also I can easily see 4shame giving Snake-Eyes a voice actor)

Also yeah guns will be edited, after seeing the Baroness watch and bet yah she'll get a crappy VA with how 4Kids loves to screw this up. They will get surfer boy Matt Hill back to do somebody (this time probably duke.)

So yeah "we" need to see this uncut, i stopped myself on how much could be edited out in this series from the run in Japan. Which if somebody can find the torrent of I know I'll download since could easily see what was edited out.

So yeah I hope at the Hasbro press conference somebody questions this.

also upon looking at the model sheets for the show and then looking at some of the online stuff (like the hiss) We are getting some 3 3/4 size Sigma Six items.

Obiwanjacoby
06-25-2005, 02:36 PM
I think it is funny how attitudes change as soon as a "representative" from Hasbro posts something.

I was going to post on that very thing myself, but kept deleting it. I have no idea why John did that because he should know this is primarily a site that talks ARAH exclusively.

:confused: It's like a rep from the 12" classic line coming on and plugging their sets to us. Or hanging out on a 3&3/4" Star Wars forum and seeing a rep coming on plugging Force Battlers. :rolleyes: :p <phew! What a stinker that one turned out to be!

Second, I know we do everything we can to keep this board "kid friendly", but I'm pretty sure they're the minority around here.

Curiosity will get collectors to buy a few at first, but the stylised big hands/big feet syndrome is a look that many collectors (including myself) just don't like.

Not only that, but space is also a critical matter whether you're a beginner or not. One Sigma fig will take 2-3 times the display/storage space of a small Joe. But that won't be really a factor for kids, will it? I wonder how Bratz collectors are getting along in that regard.

I actually like the production drawings shown at the con and Gonzo studios produces top quality work,

I agree. I plan on watching the toon religiously. I just know in my gut that the toon will not suck, depite the giant robots & all. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm jonesin' for the toon even more than the new 3&3/4" figures, truthfully.

An unpopular scale with an unpopular cartoony look with an unpopular price point equals disaster IMO.

I'm not going to be as harsh as that, but all I gotta say is "Force Battlers" man. Money in the toilet dude. Kids don't even give 'em a second look.

Seriously, I truly love everything about the Sigma Six line including the accessories, real clothing, vehicles, and articulation/poseability.

It's just those freaky anatomical proportions that make 'em look like Disney's Tarzan. . .knowhatImean? ;)

-PJ

Patrick A. Riley
06-25-2005, 02:49 PM
As long as they keep making ARAH figures (but stop using the same tired unpopular molds over and over) I could care less about Sigma Six

Epyon
06-25-2005, 08:01 PM
I wonder if project feedback did anything to inspire a new line and new size of figures, because basically it was saying that a majority of the collectors who participated did not like the new sculpt figures.
I think Sigma 6 will be great for kids. Bigger size means, bigger weapons, and that makes them much harder to lose.
Some people should really give the show and the new line a chance to start before bashing it.
If you don't like them, don't buy them. I know the original post wasn't really being too negative (yeah right), but still, is stuff like this really needed?
How much effort would it have taken to post about stuff you do like and enjoy about these toys?
Anyhow, back to the figures themselves. I already said I think they are great for kids, and I know I will be buying them for my friend's kids, since I don't have any of my own yet...
The designs are very original, and it's really immature to see people comparing them to the force battlers from Star Wars, as they are not the same line, nor the same type of toy.
Looking so far at the pics from the con, they look to be very cool.
The characters from the show look like they could blend in with just about every other anime-inspired show out there today, which could be good or bad.
We'll just have to wait and see.
I hope it does well enough for the designers to really be creative with this new line.

bluesparrow
06-26-2005, 12:47 AM
I don't really dislike the style of the Sigma Six figures myself(don't like the soft goods clothing but the sculpts seem very good considering they're meant to be stylized), but the scale...man that scale is a deal killer. 8"?! The only American figures I know of in that scale are Halo 2. And I don't think there's going to be too much of a crossover between the two fanbases.

I love the 1:18 scale but my preference for non-army builder lines is 1:12(or 6") scale, like Marvel Legends. A GI Joe 6" scale line would be a huge success, even with the blocky style of the SS figures. Snake Eyes would sell anyway. When I was a kid I didn't really mix scales, I wasn't overly concerned with one character being too tall or something, but Thundercats wouldn't fight my 3 3/4" joes. Thank god Toybiz realizes that kids want to be able to have Wolverine fight Snake Eyes, and created Superhero Showdown.

I just do not understand the rationale behind 8" scale. It's just crazy. Scale isn't just a collector's issue.

Obiwanjacoby
06-26-2005, 01:26 AM
The designs are very original,

Please. . .prove it. In past threads, some of us have actually listed the other earlier unrelated toylines that influenced these figures.

and it's really immature to see people comparing them to the force battlers from Star Wars, as they are not the same line, nor the same type of toy.

Immature? In what way, exactly? As a matter of fact, it is exactly the same type of toy. To wit: an "action figure". :rolleyes: Minus of course, the added details added to Sigma Six which I praised not only in this thread, but in others as well.

I'm being fair in my aesthetic appraisal. And that's all it should be viewed as. Nothing more, nothing less. If that's a measue of my maturity, then yeah. . .I also really like Cap'n Crunch. :p

But then, if I'm so immature. . .howcome I'm not 100% into both Force Battlers and Sigma Six? Because like the man said, they are marketed to kids.

Furthermore, I was looking beyond the superficial brand names and pointing to the simplistic, highly angular and exaggerated anime body designs from certain popular cartoons. There's an obvious stylistic similarity. If you don't see it, then it's just a denial issue on your part. I like it in toons, but not action figures. Just my personal preference.

Looking so far at the pics from the con, they look to be very cool.
The characters from the show look like they could blend in with just about every other anime-inspired show out there today, which could be good or bad.

Compared to the above, are you aware that my earlier post was even more positive about this detail of Sigma? I was one of the few Joe fans out there that openly approved of a Joe anime.

-PJ

Epyon
06-26-2005, 02:47 AM
Please. . .prove it. In past threads, some of us have actually listed the other earlier unrelated toylines that influenced these figures.

Good for you guys, that's really great. I am not here to prove anything to anyone. I was just saying that I think that the designs of the figures are very original. I am not trying to shove what I think down people's throats, nor am I going to judge someone on here because they think contrary to what I think. The figures look very unique and original. Yes, they are bigger versions of joes, and I know they are influenced by a lot of things outside of joes, but like I had said earlier, they look very cool and unique.
No, they aren't the joes most of us grew up with, but they are still pretty hip, especially for the kids, which is what they are for anyway.

It's like a rep from the 12" classic line coming on and plugging their sets to us. Or hanging out on a 3&3/4" Star Wars forum and seeing a rep coming on plugging Force Battlers. <phew! What a stinker that one turned out to be!
I know what you were saying, and what I said had nothing to do with that. Yeah, it's a funny comparison...ha ha. :cool:
I just vented about people comparing sigma six and force battlers, as they look nothing alike. And this isn't me being in any sort of denial, I just don't see it. I can see people saying that because they are bigger versions of the figures, but that's about it.
Anyway, I hadn't posted in here in quite some time because of all the negativity.
I came back to see other people's thoughts on all the cool stuff that was just shown at the con.
I posted in this particular thread because I had something positive that I wanted to say about Sigma Six in a thread was highly negative towards it.
So I say it again. The line so far looks to be very good. The designs are very unique and original (as they could be, as we all have ideas on how certain characters are supposed to look). I can't wait for a new joe show to be on tv. The designs look very good, and they are different, but not so different as to not know who is who. Yeah, they are a little streamlined (anime styled), but they do I hope this new line does do well, as I'd like to see the joes on tv again, and I'm sure the success of this line and show will carry over into our coveted 3 3/4 line. Just look at all the vehicles and figures we are getting thru the DTC store, and then go back and check out the pictures they just showed us today of stuff from the show.
Anyhow, I am done with this. Sorry fo rvoicing my views.

Dennis M. Kier
06-26-2005, 11:15 AM
i dont know i think that they look pretty cool but still to expensive
it is awsome that a new cartoon series will be suporting them and if it is all strong in the long run it can only help the real cool 3 3/4 joe line
i just hope the line run long enough to release a scarlett and baroness figures
those ill buy.

i just dont getthe popularity of large size action figures today. i mean how much cool stuff can you get for the small figures like play sets and vehicles. not to mention the poseablity of the figures themselves and they fit in your pocket

i feel so bad for the kids of today they just have no taste (just kidding kinda)

but for real im just happy there will be some new 3 3/4 figures and kinda happy there wont be so many of them ill have to buy

ImaWalkingCorpse
06-26-2005, 12:40 PM
I hope it succeeds for hasbro's and our sake. I havent even looked at any of them, but I hope it does well.

reed
06-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Well, I actually am starting to get into Sigma Six. It really caught me off guard at first but the more stuff I see, the more I like the idea. Now, I'm a BIG fan of the 80's G.I.Joe cartoon, comics and figures. The thing is, when the original 3 3/4 inch line came out I remember my uncle saying he thought G.I.Joe had hit rock bottom. They had become tiny little pieces of crappy plastic that had a dumb story behind them and Cobra was so unreal that it made it even worse. Where did the big kick-***** joes, with the realistic hair and clothing go? A laser troper? What a load of dung!
Of course I loved the new figures. Snake-Eyes was right up there with Wolverine and Batman with me when I was a kid. Why? Because of the cartoon and comics. It did well because kids got into it and made their parents go out and buy the toys. Not because older collectors like my uncle liked it. Heck, he still thinks they suck. If Sigma has a show that kids love the line will do fine. And I really don't get all the bad feelings toward Sigma either. We are still getting new 3 3/4 inch figures for crying out loud! That new major Blood looks nice! And if I understand correctly Sigma is even going to come in a 3 3/4" scale also. So there go the size complaints. But what older collectors think of the Sigma line really does not matter anyway. They are gearing this line toward what kids like right now so they can bring in a new generation of Joe fans. More power to them! And for the record I will get the new Sigma Snake-Eyes. He has one thing I have wanted from a Snake-Eyes figure since the 80's: a removable visor. I do wish he came with Timber though. Maybe that will come with his second Sigma version.

joebahama
06-26-2005, 06:29 PM
I hope it succeeds for hasbro's and our sake. I havent even looked at any of them, but I hope it does well.

Same here, I have an appreciation now for what Hasbro is trying to do. The sigma 6 for the kids probably under 10 and the 3 3/4" stuff for older kids and collectors. Heck I think I'll get my kid brothers who are 8 and 11 the sigma 6 they may like it more than the 3 3/4" stuff.

yojoebro82
06-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Anybody see the mega makeover that Longrange got? Interesting.

I MAY have been persuaded to buy one or two......had their retail price been about HALF of what they're saying it is. $15???? Too much. And that's coming from someone who works 40 hours a week! What's a 10 year old gonna do?

yojoebro82
06-26-2005, 08:06 PM
HOWEVER.......if they make a Sigma 6 Chuckles with real Hawaiian shirt, I will eat what I said about them being too much and go out an get one right away:)

John from Hasbro
06-27-2005, 08:17 AM
I was going to post on that very thing myself, but kept deleting it. I have no idea why John did that because he should know this is primarily a site that talks ARAH exclusively.

:confused: It's like a rep from the 12" classic line coming on and plugging their sets to us. Or hanging out on a 3&3/4" Star Wars forum and seeing a rep coming on plugging Force Battlers. :rolleyes: :p <phew! What a stinker that one turned out to be!

Second, I know we do everything we can to keep this board "kid friendly", but I'm pretty sure they're the minority around here.

All good points. Sorry about posting here - I didn't mean to come across as the Ron Popiel of Sigma 6, pushing my wares on you guys. I'm a 3/3/4 collector too, I can understand how I must have broken some board etiquette here.

Guess I thought since the Sigma 6 brand shares alot of the same fantasy elements as ARAH 3 3/4 Fantasy (ie, Cobra, Duke, Snake Eyes, etc) that I could post my 2 bits, I can see now how it's a totally different medium. Maybe I'll nose abound here and see if I can put together a Sigma 6 Forum/Board to focus the questions and stuff. Probably be bettter that way.

Glad to hear that the majority of you are open to the concpet though. I'm really jazzed about this new cartoon. Glad you guys are liking what you saw at Joe Con and what Dwight and Billy may have shared.

FYI, you guys don't need to pull any punches in the future - as a collector I'm interested in hearing all comments - both positive and negative. Keep in mind though, my replies will be based on public domain, it's against policy for me to reveal anything that isn't cleared for the public.

Liokaiser
06-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Hmm well John I do hope you got some things done for show. Knowing 4Kids rep and all (not good, not an ounce of it). Alot of us older fans would like to see what they will end up cutting (unless you paid them and/or threatened them to give us older fans an uncut dvd release.)

Anyway yeah I enjoyed the designs for the show but not that interested in the toys though. Will get the 3 3/4 figs and vehicles though that's a given.
Also I gotta say this, been hunting and hunting to see if I find some Wave 6 in my area, no luck why did Col, OH get skipped (along with other places)

Obiwanjacoby
06-27-2005, 09:09 AM
HOWEVER.......if they make a Sigma 6 Chuckles with real Hawaiian shirt, I will eat what I said about them being too much and go out an get one right away:)

Same here dude. I mean that. I'd even pay con prices for one of those.

-PJ

CGC
06-27-2005, 09:10 AM
I think the line has a pretty good chance. I also don't plan to collect - again, that anime flavor. Growing up in the 70's & 80's, anime implies sub-standard to me, & it's hard to overcome stereotypes. However, after seeing these figs at the con, I am very impressed. I've said it before, but I'll definately be getting one or two of the B.A.T.s, in my joeverse, Mindbender could easily make giant robots - but the 12" were too big.

As far as the target market for this line, my son, who will be ten in a couple weeks, was very excited about the S6 figs & vehicles. If that's any indication of most 8 - 12 year old boys, I expect this line to make a place for itself. If the cartoon is also a hit, the only other thing they'll need is a great video game & Joe could be really big again!

MikePrime
06-27-2005, 02:22 PM
I think the line has a pretty good chance. I also don't plan to collect - again, that anime flavor. Growing up in the 70's & 80's, anime implies sub-standard to me, & it's hard to overcome stereotypes. However, after seeing these figs at the con, I am very impressed. I've said it before, but I'll definately be getting one or two of the B.A.T.s, in my joeverse, Mindbender could easily make giant robots - but the 12" were too big.

As far as the target market for this line, my son, who will be ten in a couple weeks, was very excited about the S6 figs & vehicles. If that's any indication of most 8 - 12 year old boys, I expect this line to make a place for itself. If the cartoon is also a hit, the only other thing they'll need is a great video game & Joe could be really big again!

Kids will probably like Sigma 6. When I was eight, I liked the C.O.P.S. line of figures that Hasbro made.

KtownJoes
06-27-2005, 02:42 PM
I really wanted to hate these....

But then I saw a preview of the cartoon at the Hasbro Roundtable & saw the figures in person. Heavy Duty with a Mini-gun is a must have.

I will buy a complete set & will continue buying them for my nephew as well. I like them as an alternative.

Only complaint is that the anime style of the 'toon makes Scarlett look like she is 13. Other than that the animation looks great.

I was also gald to hear that there will be a cross promotion of some kind either on or in the packaging to try to draw children to the 3-3/4" line. IE: the vehicles used in the show, with the exception of the hover bikes, are ONLY available in the 3-3/4" line. (RHINO, ROCC, ETC)

AbsumZero
06-27-2005, 07:05 PM
I can understand the stylized, “animated” look of the figures. I’m not real big on it myself, but you have to take into account that this toy-line is completely riding on the accompanying animated series. The cartoon is going to be highly stylized, with lots of sharp angles- it’s standard with any animated action show nowadays because it helps create fluid animation on a reasonable budget. Because of this the figures need to be stylized as well, because the kids want show-accurate figures. That all makes sense from a marketing point, even if we adult collectors dislike it.

That being said, however, I don’t think this line has a snowball’s chance in **** of lasting more than a year. Maybe if they were highly-articulated 6” figures at a price-point below $10 they’d have a shot, but 8” figures for $15? Considering the current state of the economy and the steadily rising price of oil, how many (non-Joe fan)adults are going to be willing to shell-out $30 to buy their son a good guy and bad guy? Even if you don’t consider the plight of Super Joe almost 30 years ago, neither Toy Biz’s (Famous Covers) or Playing Mantis’ (Action Jackson) recent attempts to resurrect the Mego scale survived for very long. Famous Covers only lasted as long as it did because of the nostalgia factor, something which this toy line obviously doesn’t have.

I’m all for doing what’s necessary to reach a younger demographic but this approach just seems somewhat misguided.

Ghost X
06-27-2005, 07:36 PM
I would be interested in hearing more about the actual cartoon from those in attendance of the Con. I am looking forward to a new regular Joe cartoon & I don't mind it being in the anime style if its well written for the American audience. My questions:

Is this series being written specifically for the American audience?
Are the original scripts written in English?
How far does this series depart from the established RAH mythos?
How's the music & tone of the characters' voices intergrated throughout the show?

I am worried that the series will be first written for a Japanese audience then poorly translated for the American audience. When this is done, you often get plots & dialogue that just don't make sense at times (See Transformers)
I like many of the unique aspects of anime style, but I often find the music & the tone of character's voices to be inappropriate to the scene being depicted. (See Transformers)

Additionally, I am open to a new direction for the GI Joe universe as long as some key ingredients are kept. (I don't want to hear Snake Eyes talking, etc)
I also hope they maintain some sense of seriousness in the on-going war between GI Joe & Cobra. (Read I don't want a show down between Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow to be merely a card game:)

Can anyone help alleviate my fears?

reed
06-27-2005, 10:02 PM
I really don't think Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow will use Pokemon to battle...but that's a funny as heck image!! I will agree on the 8" inch scale being odd. But this series is also coming out in a small scale as well so that might help. And again, if the show does well and kids like the show, the product will sell. Even at $15.00 a figure. People see bigger things as having more value. It's not always true but that's just how the average consumer thinks.
John from Hasbro, don't quit posting here I think it's good to hear from the designers of the series. And it will give me a chance to bug you about what I would like to see in the Sigma line. Here are some quick thoughts, since you wanted some feed-back. Snake-Eyes is always good, but he needs his wolf too. The removable visor is nice!! I'm glad he does not have cloth pants. That's the one thing I'm really not to keen on so far(soft goods kinda suck), but it's no biggie either. Storm Shadow is ok. The Ninja tattoo is a must, good job! I always loved the old version where he had a hood and bow. The bow was a big weapon for Storm Shadow back in the day. Duke is Duke. He's a good figure, just not my favorite character.
Spirit Iron-Knife looks nice. I like this take on the character so far. Again, I wish it was just sculpted pants and not cloth, but oh, well. Roadblock is cool as well. The skull cap is a nice touch as far as soft goods go. And I like how some figures will be taller than others. Destro should be big when he comes out as well. Any plans on making some of the female characters? Even one or two would be nice. Please put Destro, Cobra Commander and Zartan in the next wave. I like the concept drawings on these. Anyway, good job and good luck on the new line!!

bigjohnwoo
06-28-2005, 08:54 PM
I keep hearing this $15 thrown around, but didn't it say $9.99 on the little display cards at the con?

I'm almost positive these are $10 figs.

And given the sophistication of their packaging and presentation, I think that price point is reasonable.

CGC
06-28-2005, 09:46 PM
I think most are about $10, but the deluxe figs are in the $15 range.

jjsvipers
06-29-2005, 12:43 AM
i think they look great,the detail and weapons are very nice. they are so much better than the other toys out now, they will be a big hit. i am also very excited about the cartoon the art looks fantastic. hopefully a dvd of the show will be released, but i still favor the rah line from 82 -89, but the newer figures beginning with wave 6 compare very well to my favorites from my childhood. as long as they keep making joes i will continue to buy them.

bluesparrow
06-29-2005, 02:53 AM
$10 is a much better pricepoint for this line and I think that will be palatable considering the scale. Marvel Legends have creeped up to almost $8 a figure even at Walmart so it's not unreasonable. Star Wars is around $6 at the 3 3/4" scale and sell incredibly well.

The useless 8" scale is still problematic but I don't see this line dying because of it alone. The cartoon's success or failure will tell the tale.

Glad to hear the S6 designs will make it into 3 3/4"... I'd like to see that Scarlett in the 1:18 scale. The blocky nature of the figures would probably not be as apparant in the smaller scale.

Actually that'd be interesting, if the 3 3/4" S6 figures outdo the 8" figures and they just cancelled the 8" in favor of the 3 3/4"... though that'd endanger the classic 3 3/4" designs more than the 8" has.

Kir Kanos
06-29-2005, 01:39 PM
In the past several years of hunting for joes, I have never seen another kid looking at the figures. Always parents with their kids, or people my age buying them. Obviously, now is a different time than 20 yrs ago. Kids are different. I can see Sigman Six doing better than the 3.75" and 12" joes, especially now that most action figures are larger in scale.

Yea, as a collector I want to dislike this line. But I won't complain since we have Hasbro online now. I will definitely miss going on toy runs, but then again, saving time and gas will be nice. Honestly, I won't decide until I see the figures for myself. I would probably get at least SE and SS.

Plus I am a 3.75 collector, and I don't have loads of extra room for a separate line of figures.

Taichiro
10-19-2005, 03:54 PM
I grew up with 3 3/4", but the old 12" collectors called them 'crap'.....and I felt insulted.....

now, the 3 3/4" collectors are calling this line crap......and so, I hope it's this generation's 3 3/4".......and lasts for another 30 years, just for that reason alone....

I bought Storm Shadow, it's a great figure, with a solid design, a great look, and great accessories, I wish Sigma Six a very long, and happy future.....

you can call that blasphemy all you want, but it's a great toy, whether you agree or not......better than most of the crap out there at any rate......

am I dropping 3 3/4" for Sigma Six?, not a chance, but it IS nice to have a cool, superposable Storm Shadow, and to see my friends' (who all grew up with the toon) eyes light up when they see him standing there......

I don't let 'em touch my vintage ARAH stuff, because it's precious to me.....

and since Yo Joe! is for ALL Joe collectors (sure the focus is on ARAH, but still), the dissent amongst the naysayers may make this an uninviting atmosphere for newcomers (Who you might be able to turn into 3 3/4" fans).......just a thought

whakojacko
10-19-2005, 04:53 PM
I think it is funny how attitudes change as soon as a "representative" from Hasbro posts something.Amen!:)
I have no idea why John did that because he should know this is primarily a site that talks ARAH exclusively.
:confused: It's like a rep from the 12" classic line coming on and plugging their sets to us.With all due respect, John didn't create this thread. He just responded to it. Also, judging from the response to this thread, we all like a good old heated (ok, warm) debate about Sigma 6 on ARAH boards. Getting back on topic tho, I would say Sigma 6 will probably only last about 2 years if the cartoon is not done well. Hasbro is at least going to try to sell this thing to a point. If numbers are poor the 1st time around, they will try to improve them obviously with the next few waves somehow. This will probably take some time. They won't let it die to easily. I have to say they do look better than I first thought they would but I will never collect them. Altho Hasbro says these are for kids, I honestly believe they thought we, the old collectors, would provide a little more support to the line. I have to agree with some of the others, this will last only if the cartoon series is amsome. I don't see it happening tho, so again I predict a life of 2 years.

slap happy
10-19-2005, 11:53 PM
I just viewed the 1st 6 eps of Sigma 6. Even though I could do without Hawk's son, his son's robo-dog, Tunnel Rat, Machette (what were they thinking?) and all the female characters appearing to be about 9-years-old I thought the cartoon was pretty kick-butt. Most of the S6 and DTC designs look much better animated. If I was a child today I'd eat this stuff up. Still hate the S6 toys though....

Clutch II
10-20-2005, 03:24 PM
well it seems like Sigma 6 isn't doing to well around here,my local TRU Sigma 6 items(and they have alot)are starting to gather some major dust on them,as it goes i fear this line may die with a whimper soon.

gnawgahyde
10-20-2005, 03:35 PM
The cartoon for Sigma six is actually pretty good minus Hawk's annoying son. I've been taping it and I think it has the potential to be a hit since it has a Robotech,Yu-Gi-oh type set up with a long interconnecting series of episodes not just one or two parters.
However, we all know that kids today don't really play with toys for that long. PSP And video/computer games are more important.
A Sigma six live action movie might be the way to jump start both sales. 3 3/4 inch characters for us old time collectors and Sigma six storyline for the newbies.
Just a thought, otherwise i give the line maybe 3 series before it bellies up.

Hope they don't cancel the cartoon too soon because that will definitely kill the toy line.
Yo Joe:)

Clutch II
10-20-2005, 03:39 PM
i say the series will not go beyond season 1 :D

Dreadnok4life
10-21-2005, 02:57 AM
One and out. The cartoon, and the toys, are equally horrible. I will laugh my butt off when Sigma Six goes under. Long live RAH! If only in our hearts.

heavy_water
10-21-2005, 06:37 PM
I will not place bets on it. I've seen some stupid toys at WalMart, so Sigma 6 isn't really a huge exception.

However, I like the fact that the top and the bottom halves of the S6 package snap together to hold the weapons. Nice work on that one.

ttfndude
10-21-2005, 07:35 PM
All I know is originally my wal-mart set aside a big display area and now will only put out six at a time and they all are still sittin. Same with target I could buy the whole line at any time. I do think the top and bottom making a case is cool too though. None of my nephews like the line or the cartoon. So I do not think they are gonna fly around here.

ttfndude

DacaZ
10-21-2005, 10:22 PM
If the price point were lower (say around ten bucks) I'd give Sigma Six a much better chance. I really think they are pretty nice figures in terms of their quality, articulation and accessories. Apart from maybe Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, they just ain't Joe to me. Not to mention Joe has always been about the awesome vehicles and playsets as much as the figures themselves.

I guess it's possible that kids who don't have a strong association to the Joes we all know and love may be a lot more accepting of the line. That would give it some staying power. But at $14.99 a pop, I just don't see the line lasting the long haul. Then again, Power Rangers are a fine example that anything is possible.

Just my two cents.

wichitastang
10-22-2005, 02:32 AM
I purchased a Storm Shadow today at TRU. I have to say I like the detailed weapons and the fancy box. I really just bought it because it's SS. I did notice, like other members said, the shape of the figure looks robotic. Hasbro is getting away from the military style "look" of the figure. Which, in my opinion, gives it (RAH) a little reality. But I guess their leaning the sigma more toward the cartoon. I didn't like the price, $16.23 after tax. I think I'm gonna stick to the RAH series. Cool figure, but the price may scare off parents.

whakojacko
10-22-2005, 12:08 PM
I purchased a Storm Shadow today at TRU. I have to say I like the detailed weapons and the fancy box. I really just bought it because it's SS.Does SS = Storm Shadow or SS = Sigma Six? :rolleyes: ;)

wichitastang
10-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Does SS = Storm Shadow or SS = Sigma Six? :rolleyes: ;)
Storm Shadow