What's the deal with YoJoe! pics? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : What's the deal with YoJoe! pics?

Dead-Eye
05-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Looked at the FAQ and did a search here. Found nothing. I don't have a camera, nor know anyone around here that does. There are a few items I'd like to sell. Have no problem stating where the images come from or where to go to see more. Do you guys ever give permission to use the pics?

MacDowin
05-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Yes we give permission to use YoJoe pics. What my understanding in the past was this. Anyone could download pics for their own personal use without asking us and any site that wanting to use pics needed to contact us for permission (ie, what you want to do with them and stuff like that). In regards to using YoJoe pics on auctions, that has never been publically defined as far as I can see, but the webstaff made the combined choice to say no pics on auctions.

In the weeks (hopefully) to come we should have more defined forum rules. More defined rules on how to submit to the archive and submit news. Also a public statement in regards to auctions. These rules are being created have been in the process for awhile and I hope to get them out soon. Nothing to fear if you think we are going to become horribly strict, we just want things more clear to the users of the site and forums.

Dead-Eye, contact me privately at MacDowin@yojoe.com and we will discuss your particular situation.

--
Devon

Iron Snake
05-28-2005, 04:46 AM
Looked at the FAQ and did a search here. Found nothing. I don't have a camera, nor know anyone around here that does. There are a few items I'd like to sell. Have no problem stating where the images come from or where to go to see more. Do you guys ever give permission to use the pics?

I'd rather not see site pictures in auctions. I want to see exactly what's up for sale, especially when it comes to a collectible item. "Your item may approximate this picture" type auctions are screaming for a scam job. In fact, that's what that David Allan Hruska guy is notorious for. How many people did he rip off/ scam by using yojoe.com pictures and sending items that weren't pictured?

Besides, you can buy a disposable camera for a couple of dollars. I believe they're around $5-7.00 at corner drugstores.

Mr. Crimson
05-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Hello,

I do not like the idea one bit.

Thank You,

Mr. Crimson

thunt4
06-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Actually this came up about a year ago. I think the mods came to an agreement that if the person asks permission first and then in the auction you would have to clearly state they pictures are taken from yojoe.com and are not of the actual item and are merely used for a reference. rules do change but this is from about a year ago maybe longer.

dockingbay97
06-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Actually this came up about a year ago. I think the mods came to an agreement that if the person asks permission first and then in the auction you would have to clearly state they pictures are taken from yojoe.com and are not of the actual item and are merely used for a reference. rules do change but this is from about a year ago maybe longer.

I really don't remember this.

I for one don't ever want to see YoJoe pics on eBay because while the intent may be good - the use of archive photos instead of actual photos tends to lead to abuse and deception of the item(s) being sold.

I would never bid on a Joe where the picture was not of the actual item but that is just me. There are simply too many cases of this leading to deceptive selling practices for me to risk a sale like that.

What did I do before I had a digital camera? I took pictures with a cheap point and shoot and then had them developed into a digital format. This is a pretty cheap option available most places.

Then I graduated to a cheap entry level digital camera and slowly got better ones.

There are a lot of options out there other than using YoJoe pics.

And on a side note - some people (including myself) have donated photos to this site strictly for archival purposes. They are meant to benefit the collecting community by keeping this a terrific archive of Joe items. I did not however donate the photos for someone else's eBay gain. I am sorry if that sounds a bit harsh but I would rather have my photos removed from the site before someone uses them to make money on eBay.

robot_sonic
06-03-2005, 11:51 AM
And on a side note - some people (including myself) have donated photos to this site strictly for archival purposes. They are meant to benefit the collecting community by keeping this a terrific archive of Joe items. I did not however donate the photos for someone else's eBay gain. I am sorry if that sounds a bit harsh but I would rather have my photos removed from the site before someone uses them to make money on eBay.
I feel the exact same way. If every Tom, Dick and Harry on Ebay could use pics of my stuff to sell their wares, I'd remove every picture I've ever donated. It isn't fair to the potential buyer nor is it fair to the collecting community at large.

dmooretoys
06-03-2005, 12:51 PM

I for one don't ever want to see YoJoe pics on eBay because while the intent may be good - the use of archive photos instead of actual photos tends to lead to abuse and deception of the item(s) being sold.

I would never bid on a Joe where the picture was not of the actual item but that is just me. There are simply too many cases of this leading to deceptive selling practices for me to risk a sale like that.

What did I do before I had a digital camera? I took pictures with a cheap point and shoot and then had them developed into a digital format. This is a pretty cheap option available most places.

Then I graduated to a cheap entry level digital camera and slowly got better ones.

Just so everyone knows Nick is not the only one on the staff who feels this way. I buy a lot on ebay and I want to see what I am actually getting as well as verify the seller actually has the item.

I also don't think the intent of people who submit pics for the archives is to provide pictures for someone to use in an ebay auction. I know I provided my pictures as a reference for the collecting community, not to have someone use them to rip others off on ebay.

Just my two cents.

Dan

Viper Commander
06-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Just want to clarify, to say "weapons and filecard included as shown on Yojoe.com" would be OK if no pics are used from Yojoe right? :confused:

Dead-Eye
06-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Well I was talking about using the pics for items that I have that are EXACTLY like the ones on Yo Joe. For instance, I have a couple of brand new items. A Yo Joe pic would be the same thing. After posting this I realized that most of the things I have are not of the same quality as what is in the archive. And I don't want to misrepresent anything. I'm going to try to get a good camera. No point in taking crappy pictures, like some of you are saying. Bought a fig that turned out to be junk cause of that.

Thanks MacDowin. I'll contact you if I can't get anything going.

dmooretoys
06-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Just want to clarify, to say "weapons and filecard included as shown on Yojoe.com" would be OK if no pics are used from Yojoe right? :confused:
OK, I see where this is going. I am just going to say right now that when I say something it is my opinion, and my opinon only. I am not in charge of this website.

I am deleting my last paragraph of my last post before this keeps spiraling downward.

I will say this, I have contributed a lot of items to this website and when someone gives a seller permission to use something I have contributed in an auction I will never submit anything to the archives again. Does this help to clarify where I stand on this issue?

If you don't have a camera either buy one or list your auction without a photo, plain and simple.

Dan

dmooretoys
06-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Probably next weekend the webmaster will be adding yojoe's policy on using yojoe pictures in online auctions. It will be visible and will clarify what can and can not be done so from now on there won't be confusion about it. He would add it sooner but he is helping me by creating the template for the cardback archive.

Another positive change to the site is a contact link on the webpage, also done by the webmaster. There are many positive changes in the works so stay tuned!

Dan

Viper Commander
06-03-2005, 08:21 PM
I will say this, I have contributed a lot of items to this website and when someone gives a seller permission to use something I have contributed in an auction I will never submit anything to the archives again. Does this help to clarify where I stand on this issue?

If you don't have a camera either buy one or list your auction without a photo, plain and simple.

Dan

10-4, All Clear ;)

thunt4
06-03-2005, 10:59 PM
When I wrote my reply before it was only a quick one. I totally agree with most of what the people are saying in the thread. Its really not fair because even though you list a disclaimer a person often looks at the pic and does not always ready the description. I remember talk of putting a watermark of some sort on the pictures but that never happened. WHat I wrote before is what was said a while ago. I said a year ago but I think it may have been longer than that, time flys i guess. I think the problem is as soon as you see one or 2 auctions on ebay then 2 turns into 10 and so on then it ruins it.I do like what dockingbay had to say. I mean its not that hard nowadays to figure out some way to get some pictures for an auction.

dmooretoys
06-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Sorry--I guess I got a little harsh there! I am really opinionated on this issue! But one good thing about all this is we will finally have a policy that both clear and visible to everyone.

Dan

Dead-Eye
06-05-2005, 01:58 PM
And here I thought maybe we were all here to help the rest of the community. Hopefully I can sell all my Joe stuff and get out.

cobraferret
06-05-2005, 02:15 PM
I think you should be able to contact the person who originally took the pic.Ask them if it would be ok and give them maybe 1.00 per pic,because it was them who went out an spent the money for a camera for reasons like this.(Myself included).
I am not sure of the legallity of this issue.With copyright infringement(Hasbro)
I really do not know.
Just my opinion.

gsmiley007
06-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Last year, I sold a few joe items, I asked permission to use the pics because my stuff was MIB. I labeled that the pics were from yojoe and also water mark the pics as well. But I also put a picture of the actual item for sale.

I understand what everyone is concerned about, sellers misrepresenting items.

joebahama
06-05-2005, 04:12 PM

I agree with everything said. Take your own pics, you want to make the sale, make the effort even if you have to borrow a camera.

dmooretoys
06-05-2005, 04:12 PM
And here I thought maybe we were all here to help the rest of the community. Hopefully I can sell all my Joe stuff and get out.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I feel like we ARE helping out the community by not allowing sellers to use yojoe pics to misrepresent their items or allowing them to rip people off when they don't even have an item.

I know most of the people on this board wouldn't do this but others would, and it just isn't fair to let some people use the pics and deny them to others.

I hope you change your mind about getting out because that was not my intent.

Dan

CGC
06-05-2005, 04:24 PM
I think you should be able to contact the person who originally took the pic.Ask them if it would be ok and give them maybe 1.00 per pic,because it was them who went out an spent the money for a camera for reasons like this.(Myself included).
I am not sure of the legallity of this issue.With copyright infringement(Hasbro)
I really do not know.
Just my opinion.
My view would be that you shouldn't post a pic of something you aren't selling. If you don't have a way of posting your own pic, posting another would seem like misrepresentation. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I personally disagree with you. No matter how close or similar the items are, they aren't the same, and a substitute pic could be very misleading.

cobraferret
06-05-2005, 04:59 PM
My view would be that you shouldn't post a pic of something you aren't selling. If you don't have a way of posting your own pic, posting another would seem like misrepresentation. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I personally disagree with you. No matter how close or similar the items are, they aren't the same, and a substitute pic could be very misleading.
Your right.
Besides I wouldn't like it if someone stole a pic from me.
I was just saying the person if allowed only use it as a reference.And state clearly what is wrong with the item.I agree with you all.
I think people should just go out and buy a digital camera they are quit cheap now.You can get a 3 megapixel camera for under 60 dollars now.I have a 5 megapixel and that used to be a consumer best,but now they have 6-10 and higher for consumers and professional digital camera's are way higher
It isn't like it is a waste of money either,because you can always use a camera.

Xavieur@aol.com
06-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Legally speaking, when people send in pictures to YOJOE they impliedly or directly give YOJOE a limited use license on their copyrighted photo, obviously this includes the posting of it on the website, BUT!, if someone has sent in a picture they have taken, the "permission" that YOJOE grants to others (without the copyright holder's notice AND permission) to download pictures IS CONTRARY TO FEDERAL COPYRIGHT LAW. Nor will "community knowledge" that this is permitted be sufficient to protect YOJOE. Furthermore, a pic that is emailed for posting on YOJOE that has ANY type of additional restriction, such as I have done on almost all of my pictures, THEN YOJOE MUST ABIDE BY IT or the entity may be liable for legal action.

As I have told some moderators in the distant past, YOJOE needs to take STRICT action to protect the interests and rights of all copyright holders (anyone who took a pic) such as my "marking" photos that are listed, using a YOJOE.COM logo "embossed" over the top of photos, OR, as most artists, use a common HTML tool to prevent the copying or downloading of a picture.

dp

Jeff Bohn
06-13-2005, 08:30 AM
Legally speaking, when people send in pictures to YOJOE they impliedly or directly give YOJOE a limited use license on their copyrighted photo, obviously this includes the posting of it on the website, BUT!, if someone has sent in a picture they have taken, the "permission" that YOJOE grants to others (without the copyright holder's notice AND permission) to download pictures IS CONTRARY TO FEDERAL COPYRIGHT LAW. Nor will "community knowledge" that this is permitted be sufficient to protect YOJOE. Furthermore, a pic that is emailed for posting on YOJOE that has ANY type of additional restriction, such as I have done on almost all of my pictures, THEN YOJOE MUST ABIDE BY IT or the entity may be liable for legal action.

As I have told some moderators in the distant past, YOJOE needs to take STRICT action to protect the interests and rights of all copyright holders (anyone who took a pic) such as my "marking" photos that are listed, using a YOJOE.COM logo "embossed" over the top of photos, OR, as most artists, use a common HTML tool to prevent the copying or downloading of a picture.

dp

Yep, and I know nothing of that sort of thing, I had to forward a couple emails of that sort to the owners of the site while I was working it with these kind of issues (an eBay seller put together a disc of mostly pictures taken from YoJoe). Not sure what came of it though.

Onslaught Six
06-14-2005, 01:12 AM
Here's what I would do.

Let's say I have CC V13 here (because he's standing there all badass-like right now) and I want to sell him on eBay. But I don't have a digital camera. Darn. So what's a guy to do?

I post up the auction with No Pic. Within the auction, I say this:

"I do not have a pic of the figure, however, you 'can' see a picture of the same item here at YoJoe.com:
[linky here to CC V13's page]
Please note that this picture Is Not the actual item and yours will vary. Essentially I am providing a picture of the original item before I got my grubby hands on it."

So yeah. Technically there, you're not even giving a pic 'of' the thing, just showing where they can see what it's Supposed to be, and a disclaimer that It's Not Quite That.

*shrugs.* But hey, that's me. :P