The Marvel series makes good summer reading! [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : The Marvel series makes good summer reading!

yojoebro82
06-12-2005, 09:49 PM
I completed my marvel run last year and yet there are a great may issues I have not even read yet.
I decided I would sit down (now that I have free time) and read the series from begining to end. I read six issues straight after work today and it's like I'm rediscovering the book! I'm into the 20's now and it's good stuff!

Dominecus
06-12-2005, 10:26 PM
I should be doing the same once I get my last few issues (129, 130, 133, 134, 152-155). I was a habitual reader as a kid so some will be familiar but with such a long run I should have plenty to read.

Beach Head
07-16-2005, 08:11 PM
That series will never get old to me. Much better than the crap that Devil's Due put out.

danielmd06
07-16-2005, 08:19 PM
The Marvel series was fantastic. It had its ups and downs yet I never tire of rereading the issues over and over again.

yojoebro82
07-17-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm around issue 74 or so right now, right in the middle of the Cobra civil war. Good stuff! It's also fun because the last time I read a lot of these issues was waaaaay back when I was a kid and now I'm picking up on a LOT more stuff that I missed back then.
(BTW-reading some of those letters in the letter colum can be a hoot! People got really........cranky........when Hamma "killed" CC)

Taichiro
11-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Man, I really can't wait to get into the comic......

seriously, as a kid I remember reading it and thinking it was great, but as a kid, I had the attention span OF a kid......so, I didn't really read 'em all, I'd just grab one when the mood hit me......

I remember it being MUCH better than the cartoon.....but the toon was on every afternoon, and the comic, came out once a month.....

I remember a few stories.....and I have a few issues, but I'm prolly gonna buy the TPBs from "Smalljoes" once I have the cash-flow.....and read the first fifty in a long-haul.......

be nice to get re-acquainted with some of my faves, and to see some from a new POV.....

Xerofall
11-08-2005, 12:45 AM
The funny thing I noticed was when i read it originally as a kid, it came out monthly, so the stories had to wait 30 plus days over 10 years. But when I read them all at once a few years ago, the time line of the story seemed like a few weeks of time had gone by.

If that makes sense.

Taichiro
11-08-2005, 01:03 AM
yeah, I've felt that way with many comic runs, Xero.....

true story: the entire history of Superman from 1938-2005, occurs over one drunken weekend (okay, I'm lying, but it's fun to imagine!) in the 60s!

I really hope to get a few dozen issues sooner or later......

Bleak5170
11-08-2005, 07:37 AM
Actually i just finished a HUGE Joe reading blitz. I started with the first issue of the Marvel series and finshed with America's Elite #3, (i hadn't read any of the DD stuff even though i had the entire run). That also includes all the Special Missions and Frontline issues as well. I guess now would be the best time for me to try a G.I. Joe quiz as everything is still fresh in my mind.

I should also add i love the first 35 Marvel issues or so but it sort of goes downhill after that. And pretty much everything after issue 120 or so kind of sucks.

GeekDragon
11-09-2005, 08:56 PM
I just completed my run and have started reading from #1 on. I have to say that the issues up to the battle of Springfield were great(I first got into Joe on a monthly basis with #45, still one of my favorite comics, along with Yearbook 2 and a few non joe books). Then it started to slightly go down hill. Once it got into the 80's on up it really started to go down with everything in the 100's being kinda terrible. there was just too many ninja's. But, remember, this is a lincesed comic, so, unfortunately lame characters had to be used. Luckily, Cobra-La never made it to the books. Hey, Larry hama did his best with what he had.

Xerofall
11-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Even the others at Marvel thought the series was just for kids and had nothing to offer the hard core comic fans.

Hama did his best, as you all have said, to keep it very cool. Re-reading them even today I'm not left thinking it was just a kid's comic. I still enjoy the simple yet exciting stories.

I myself lost interest when the Transformers made another appearence. That too me was the beginning of the end.

I tried to get into the new series, but it just wasn't the same.

Grunt
11-10-2005, 07:52 AM
I also started re-reading the series this summer, only I have been reading only one a month(the actual month of publication) I find myself getting excited when a new month rolls around, just like when I was a kid. Only problem is I havent got #5 (Nov 82) and the month is almost half over. I guess I'll have to buy it from Mile High.

sinnister
11-10-2005, 09:52 AM
They do make great reading. I have all the issues of actual comics and all of them on CD-rom. CDrom makes it a lot easier to take them to work and read them. When you work 12 hours at night it really makes the time go a lot faster!

Bleak5170
11-10-2005, 02:20 PM
They do make great reading. I have all the issues of actual comics and all of them on CD-rom. CDrom makes it a lot easier to take them to work and read them.

That's a good idea. How'd you do that?

Xerofall
11-10-2005, 03:58 PM
That's a good idea. How'd you do that?

There are some places on the internet that if you're saavy enough you can find it. Places that you can get MP3s for free, ect.

There are some copywright issues in doing that and I'm sure discussing it here would be frowned upon.

But if you know your way around the internet, it can be found.