What is the policy on Mod's editting and locking their own thread or one about them. [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : What is the policy on Mod's editting and locking their own thread or one about them.

GBPackRat
06-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Per request from DB I have relocated this question to another part of the board. I did this because I actually think this needs to be addressed to some degree.

Here is what was in the original post:
-----------------
It does raise an interesting point. What is the policy on Mod's either locking down their own threads, or ones pertaining to them?

I would think, there might be a conflict of interest at times and it is possible for Mod's to abuse their locking down or editting permissions. I'm not saying this is the case here, just wondering what the policy is on stuff like that.
-----------------

Now this is just my personal option, but I think some type of policy needs to be made if none is already existing to address the above issues.

I don't mean this as an attack on the Mod's, but more as a suggestion to help them avoid any termoil down the road if it should happen.

I can tell you right now, I would be very upset if I knew of a Mod who had the power to edit anything I said about them, or lock down a post that might not paint a pretty picture about them.

I think a good rule of thumb for the boards would be to not allow Mod's to lock down or edit anything that specifically dealt with them. Instead, I think it should be another Mod, who should step in and the first Mod, for that moment in time, should not be a Mod, but a person, just like the rest of us.

I could see the following happen...

Person A has a bad dealing with Mod B
Person A states the bad dealing about Mod B
Mod B then goes in, re-edits person A's thread, posts what they want, then locks it down.

Mod's have a great deal of power here and I'm just afraid of the time when a Mod crosses the line and starts to abuse this power...

What type of policy's have been put into place to deal with this if it should occur?

Saying it hasn't and that we shouldn't concern ourselves with it isn't going to make the issue go away. If it hasn't already, it will come up someday and its better to plan for it and know what to do when it happens, then for it to happen and then try to deal with it then.

Anyways, sorry, I seem to be rambling now, but anyways...

I digress,
Tanner

dockingbay97
06-13-2005, 01:44 PM
As far as I know this has never happened. Please point to a case where it did if there is one. I might very well be wrong - I have just never seen or heard of it happening.

And I mean an edit other that editing out some foul language.

I don't think any is mod is abusing any power.

GBPackRat
06-13-2005, 01:49 PM
DB,

That isn't my point. I have no proof its ever has happened and I never said I did. Saying it hasn't, doesn't make the issue go away.

Having faith that it won't ever happen is asking a lot from people. Some day it will happen. In an ideal world, I doubt it would ever happen, but we're far from ideal. When it does and there isn't some type of policy already in place, you'll have more trouble on your hands than if a policy was in place.

My question is, what type of policy is in place if there is one and if there isn't, shouldn't yojoe look into creating a policy to protect itself from any abuse that could happen.

Tanner

dockingbay97
06-13-2005, 02:30 PM
DB,

That isn't my point. I have no proof its ever has happened and I never said I did. Saying it hasn't, doesn't make the issue go away.

I didn't mean it directed at you but to anyone and everyone. All of a sudden today people think this is an issue. As far as I can tell it is a non-issue. There is no real control to avoid this type of action on this board service. It is self policing. And with most self policing type of activities, it is left alone unless there is a problem evident.

I don't see any problems so I am not concerned.

GBPackRat
06-13-2005, 03:09 PM
The reason I brought it up was the Wade/Curt conflict that arose in the bad trader forum. Before I go any further I want to make this prefectly clear...

I am NOT saying Curt did this...

But last I heard, Curt was a Mod. and this is the first time in a while I saw a yojoer take issue with someone who was a Mod. I'm sure its happened before, but this was the first time I noticed.

Anyhow, it got me thinking, Mod's have the power to edit and lock down threads. What if someone had a bad experence with a Mod in a trade or etc, posted this and then the Mod used their Mod powers to totally turn the tables on the person reporting the bad experence.

I'm not saying its ever happened, I am saying it will happen, its just a matter of time. I thought, perhaps we could use this time to address the issue some and see if we as a community could come up with a game plan for when it does come.

Anyhow, this was my reasoning for bringing it up. I love yojoe.com to death. It has helped me out more that I ever could have thought it could. But I'll be the first to say, if a Mod were ever to use those Mod powers in an abusive way, I would turn my trader list duties over to someone else, say my good byes and walk away...

The mod's have my trust they won't do anything abusive. I have no power over putting them in the postion they are in, they aren't elected by the people and because of this, I just have to trust they will use their best judgement. If that trust were to ever be broken...I'd walk away and never look back.

So I guess, I was hoping I could help at least make it more aware that this issue will come up someday and I hope we can prolong that day by putting failsafes in place to delay it as long as we can because once it happens... I'm done and its over.

Tanner

BIGFAN
06-13-2005, 03:23 PM
like db said it is self policed. mods are chosen for a number of different reasons. one of them being trustworthiness.

i have since quit becuase of such baseless accusations because people were expecting me to not even defend myself when i get bashed for no reason.

i dont think this will ever be a concern here to be honest.

sinnister
06-13-2005, 03:49 PM
If anything at all, if a thread gets closed for any reason, perhaps it should be known which mod closed it and for what reason. I've seen some that are closed with no specific reason given or who for that matter closed it.

I have also seen several that have been closed by DB and he will make the last post and say something like 'thread closed because there are too many of the same one' or 'thread closed due to name calling' or 'thread closed...no political/religious topics'. I, for one, really appreciate this.

Ann G
06-13-2005, 04:47 PM
With the stuff between Bigfan and Desert Rat, I locked the thread, not Curtis.

Why was the thread locked..not becuase it was about Curt or a deal he was making or didn't make, it was becuase half of it was about some chat drama on another site. The chat transcript with the cursing from a private message from someone didn't help things either. That was only removed at the request of the person who sent Desert Rat the private message. I was prepared to just let it go as he was defending himself as expected, until about 5 minutes later. What got Desert Rat banned for a little bit was the flaming and cursing in the FEEDBACK ONLY good/bad trader thread. If he wanted to give Curt a -3, fine and dandy, but that is all that is neccessary to leave in that thread. GBpackrat puts his time into making that thread accurate and up to date without having to babysit rampant posters.

I don't want yojoe.com getting involved in other board's drama. I don't want an us vs. them. I don't want an "us and them vs some random member".

When all this was going down, someone in the yojoe webstaff (without mod powers) did mention that since Curt was involved, someone else should probably deal with it. Well, I was only mod online at the time it seemed, so tag I was it. I am sure some people are upset, but I did what I thought was best.

As far as I know, the thing between Wade and Curt is still active, so anyone who has something contributing to the actual subject at hand should still be able to post in it. I assure you I won't be locking it as I get to go back to the real world and go to work.

What sickens me a bit, is that whether you have had a good deal with him or not, overall, he has been helpful to the community, and it is sad to see one or two incidents blow up into this mess. Anyway, I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

GBPackRat
06-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Curt (only the first sentence applies specifically to you, the rest is open ended address to all who read it),

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with you defending yourself. That wasn't where I was going with any of this.

My only concern (and like I said before, I am not saying Curt did this, I'm just saying last weeks events got me thinking) is what happens if a Mod goes bad and starts to abuse his mod powers.

I've never been a mod, so I don't know what powers you have and what you can see that other reg. members can't.

What I can say is, if a mod wanted to doctor a post (its been brought to my attention, that this cannot occur) and then lock it down, I'm sure its very possible to do it with very few of us knowing it was done or even for that matter, who actually did it. The mod's might be able to see more, but from a member standpoint, when stuff is locked down, sometimes its hard to tell why or who did it.

I agree with Sinnister, I like it when the Mod who locked the thread, makes a last ditch post explaining why they locked it down.

If members have to be held accountable for their actions at yojoe, shouldn't the mods be held accountable for the actions they take, reguardless if its for good or for bad?

Tanner

BIGFAN
06-13-2005, 05:09 PM
tanner just fyi..if a post is edited in anyway it shows who did it

GBPackRat
06-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Curt,

You are correct, editted, yes... Locked down...No.

A correction was made in my last post.

Tanner

Ann G
06-13-2005, 11:35 PM
I will usually post something before I lock a post unless it is blatenly obvious such as someone posting politics or religion. In the past before I was a mod, I could decifer why those were locked and it didn't matter who locked them. I have noticed Nick posts "and this thread is done" on most of the ones he locks that get locked due to being flame wars. So I would say 99 percent of the time, you can figure out who locked the thread with no problems.

If it is bumping an auction too many times I will usually edit the last post to say "don't bump before 3 days". I don't want to create a new post on the thread as it is just bumping the thread that doesn't need to be bumped up again.

Onslaught Six
06-14-2005, 01:59 AM
If anything at all, if a thread gets closed for any reason, perhaps it should be known which mod closed it and for what reason. I've seen some that are closed with no specific reason given or who for that matter closed it.

I have also seen several that have been closed by DB and he will make the last post and say something like 'thread closed because there are too many of the same one' or 'thread closed due to name calling' or 'thread closed...no political/religious topics'. I, for one, really appreciate this.

I agree.

I'm actually a mod at another forum, and when I lock a topic, I say why most of the time. 95% of the time, I adress the issue at hand, end up flaming a few people who likely flamed me anyway, and then spout off something about making a new rule to prevent this and shelling out warnings, followed by "Topic Closed."

bluebikerboy1
06-14-2005, 02:42 AM
my take. the big boss should be able to tell if a post was edited (going back into the records of the post). in that if it was edited by a mod to reflect that then i think the mod should be dismodded (is that a word) for abusing his powers.

imo

MacDowin
06-14-2005, 03:09 AM
An interesting thing to bring up Tanner.

As the Admin I can say this. I bring on mods based on their reps. Where they have been and what they have done and where they have done it. In the case that someone stops playing fair in a position of trust I have given them, they will be immediatly demoted. They can stay on the site an dwork, but mod days at YoJoe will be over for them.

But if I do my job right, then we shouldn't have that problem.

Now there are times when mods can say things that are less then stellar and some people like to keep bringing that up. All I have to say to that is, they are human too. We all make mistakes, we all get overworked and we all can burn out and get short tempered. In those instances if a mod works it out with the offened party, then those post should be allowed to be deleted if the mod wishes. Everyone has that option also, it is up to them to exercise it though.

In regards to in the good/bad trader area. Well, a mod takes that chnace when they deal or trade. It is bad form if a mod deletes any negative comments about them just for the heck of it and it won't be tollerated by me. They should be like everyone else, open for honest good and bad feedback based off of each unique deal they do.

You can be sure that I will not tolerate any mod doing anything less then a good job at YoJoe.

SoulcatcherX
06-14-2005, 09:28 AM
And that should wrap this little bit of tediousness up. All can go on their merry way. :D

GBPackRat
06-14-2005, 10:06 AM
MacDowin,

Thanks for the input, well spoken and logically laid out.

Tanner

bluebikerboy1
06-14-2005, 06:38 PM
tanner said logically haha