Is a Flagg worth more loose and complete, or parted out? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Is a Flagg worth more loose and complete, or parted out?

KrymsynGardImmoral
06-13-2005, 08:47 PM
I have seen complete, or semi complete flaggs, go pretty high, but the parts are worth quite a bit by themselves, especially the mast cap, fantail deck railing, and sound system. Which way tends to go for more?

Iron Snake
06-13-2005, 08:54 PM
If it's missing more than a small handful of common parts, break it up and sell it piece by piece. If it's only missing like deck clips or missiles or some other easy to find pieces, sell it as a whole since if I was buying another I'd go for one missing a few easy to get pieces than for one missing the harder find parts. I'd have less of an issue dropping some extra money to get some deck clips or a gun or something than trying to find Y-pins or a purge valve by itself.

And if you have an extra I do need a fantail deck railing. ;)

orionlukteel
06-13-2005, 09:04 PM
I just watched a 100% complete Flagg go for $535 loose.
I've probably paid close to $300 to finish mine by parts.
BUT I've seen a lot of those parts go for a lot more than I paid for them.

Your deck, trusses, and superstructure pieces will be the slowest sellers (unless you repaint the bare bones as a Cobra Flagg and make over $100 like you did. :D ) but the rest of those pieces can add up quickly if properly identified.

That's the trick - I've bought a LOT of parts cheaply because they were lumped in with other lots and were not clearly identified. The lots typically had generic titles, like "Vintage GI Joe Playset Parts" and usually went under $20.

On the other hand, I've seen sellers here on the board put up eBay auctions for, say, a fantail deck railing, place a reserve of $45, and sell for at or above that. Their titles were HIGHLY specific and anyone doing a search for Flagg, y-pins, fantail, or otherwise could find exactly what they were looking for.

GBPackRat
06-13-2005, 10:55 PM
You might make a little more parting it out ($400 - $500), rather then selling it complete ($300 - $400), but to be honest, I don't think its worth the time nor effort and its just flat out a crime to break down a 100% complete Flagg to sell as parts. If it isn't complete, then yes, totally break it down and sell it out piece by piece.

I bought my Flagg 100% complete for $400 and though it might sound high, looking at what it would cost to get the base pieces and then trying to track down the rest. It just isn't worth it, buy it complete and you'll save yourself some time in the process.

Tanner

KrymsynGardImmoral
06-13-2005, 10:56 PM
It is funny, my last Flagg auctions did somewhat OK. The shell-hull went for $88, but sold to Europe, the Netherlands, where shipping was like $120. The COBRA-Ized shell only went for $30 more, like $120, again to europe though. It almost was not worth it when i factor in the paint and decal cost.

But the parted out Flagg, totally incomplete, missing some key peices, (including the aforementioned shell-hull) went for a total of $330. the fantail deck railing went for $103 on it's own, which made up MOST of the total, but still, I can almost say there is not reason to sell a loose complete Flagg. I sold two dead complete ones in my time, both for $400 each, then one rough incomplete one to ToyFare mag (they are still using it) for like $250. I went through all mine, and I had about a dozen total, and since i don't want to move them, i am selling some off. I actually set up, on two separate accounts, one Flagg almost complete but parted out, and one missing three parts with a Box. It is not the best time of year to pull this experiment, but I need cash for the upcoming con, and I really want to see how things go.

And YES, Iron Snake...I have ONE fantail deck railing...I am trying to convince Dr. Kent to pay the $100 for it right now.

gutstheberserker
06-14-2005, 01:29 PM
It is not the best time of year to pull this experiment, but I need cash for the upcoming con, and I really want to see how things go.

I'm always willing to buy one of your special items, if you need cash ... :D

BK
06-15-2005, 01:28 AM
I've spent only $200 on mine, and all I have left to get is the battery cover. I got lucky and got the fantail for 20 bucks.

blackdragon
06-15-2005, 01:39 AM
then one rough incomplete one to ToyFare mag (they are still using it) for like $250.

Thats funny cuz i was lookin at toyfare the other night and they had a little article on the flagg in the price guide section, and i was wondering where they got it from, if it was one of the employee's or if the company bought one.