Attn: Mark Bellomo & all HC completists!!! [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Attn: Mark Bellomo & all HC completists!!!

Obiwanjacoby
07-16-2005, 04:23 PM
[PLEASE READ ENTIRE POST BEFORE HITTING "REPLY"]

I was just over at General Storm's house today picking up some figures, when he showed me a weird looking VAMP.

- It has an '84 date stamped on the bottom.

- The green chassis has the '82 VAMP mold with the driver's side gun/camera, but it ALSO has the passenger side shovel molded on the hood like the Singer/VAMPmk2. Furthermore. . .there is NO front refuling tank on the hood (like the Stinger), nor is there any webgear/rucksack on the hood like the VAMPmk2.

Out of nearly 30 VAMPs between the two of us (and Storm has the most), this is the only one of these with that particular hood/chassis variant. Some have speculated that this came from Japan. Storm and I are both in agreement that this is not likely, since he gets these (very) locally. Sure, an Air Force/Navy brat may have gotten one for Christmas from his Dad stationed in Japan, but it's sporting US decals, and no sign of the blue eagle common on most Japanese variants.

We have another theory. . .

We think this may be the VAMP that came with the Sears exclusive VAMP and HAL set. There is no loose example of this set on YoJoe. And we know there's very few of you out there that can confirm this. Please help. I plan on bumping this about once a week until it's confirmed. Also, I just got back home and forgot that I didn't get any pics :o . I will get some, I promise.

-PJ

danielmd06
07-16-2005, 05:18 PM
I don't have loose specimens of either an original 1982 VAMP or the VAMP from the Sears two-pack for comparison.

The VAMP and HAL Sears two-piece was released in 1984, so your theory has merit.

Obiwanjacoby
07-16-2005, 06:05 PM
I was asked if I would consider the possibility that the VAMP is simply a foreign variant with US decals.

Okay, that's reasonable. A few points to consider tho'. . .

#1. Is there a foreign variant chassis with that same exact description? If it was, it'd be a narrow window of possibility with the Hasbro stamp. Foreign companies either remove the Hasbro stamp entirely or put their own, like "Estrela", etc.

#2. Why would a normal kid go to the trouble of putting original vintage US decals on a foreign vehicle? Granted, they may have had an extra sheet. But only a fan/collector would consider doing such things. Take for example, putting '83 Skystriker decals on a Funskool Skystriker. But I highly doubt this is the case.

Reasonably, we should consider the most likely theory, then try to prove it.

It's most reasonable to consider this as a US release because of the stamp and decals. Not definitive proof, but corroborative. . .and just as good to put us in the right direction. All we need now to nail it shut is a MISB example. Or at least looking in the bag.

-PJ

Goofateer
07-16-2005, 10:22 PM
It is a very rare variant indeed. It does happen to be the same mold as the Japanese version, which would have been produced around 1985 or so. The Japanese version was released through Takara, but produced by Hasbro. The most likely explanation is that the Vamp was still being produced for the US market in 1985, which it most likely was since it was a popular vehicle, and the last few that where pumped out used the then currently available Japanese mold. So it's possible that some came in the Sears sets as well, but I've seen FAR MORE Sears sets than I have seen this variant.
The reason for the mold change is fairly simple. The original mold was probably in Brazil or elsewhere by that time. Rather than recalling it, they just reworked the available Vamp mk2 and Stinger molds to get a close approximation.

Obiwanjacoby
07-17-2005, 01:10 AM
It is a very rare variant indeed. It does happen to be the same mold as the Japanese version, which would have been produced around 1985 or so.

Pics please? They don't have a loose example in the archives.

So it's possible that some came in the Sears sets as well, but I've seen FAR MORE Sears sets than I have seen this variant.

So you're saying that the Sears VAMP has distinct differences from other VAMPs? :confused: Because how can you tell a loose Sears VAMP from a regular one?

The reason for the mold change is fairly simple. The original mold was probably in Brazil or elsewhere by that time.

Sorry, I'm looking to actually confirm this info for the archives, not speculate. Any more solid information would be greatly appreciated.

Rather than recalling it, they just reworked the available Vamp mk2 and Stinger molds to get a close approximation.

Wouldn't it be cheaper for foreign production to use a pre-existing mold, rather than an expensive "re-working" of it? :confused:

Oh-yeah, here's a pic of one of mine. Note the hood. . .

http://photos.yojoe.com/showphoto.php?photo=1280&cat=500&ppuser=593

The decals are incomplete, but you get the idea. I got this from a local shop that bought it from an old childhood collection. Matter of fact, it's from Bob Beshore. Could have been yours once, Darko! ;)

-PJ

Sephiroth
07-17-2005, 10:41 AM
My Japanese VAMP has all the features you noted on your VAMP.

Here's a pic of my Japanese VAMP:

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3779361/1122012990734_Japanese_VAMP_1.jpg
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3779361/1122765292476_Japanese_VAMP_Stamp_1.jpg

Note that 1986 Japanese VAMP shares the same box art (sans the HAL) with the 1984 SEARS exclusive box set. There are very subtle changes to the the stickers shown in the pic, but the drivers (Recondo and Mutt) remain the same. It's possible that the Japanese got Recondo confused as the actual driver of the VAMP and thought tan Clutch was the correct figure to use.

Here's a pic of the Japanese VAMP's box:

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3779361/1121970883937_Japanese_VAMP_Box_1.jpg

YOJOE Pic of SEARS VAMP & HAL Box:

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/84/vamphal/vamphal_box.jpg

Some other things to ponder.

Theory 1:

Your VAMP is from the SEARS boxed set. This would mean that the mold for the 1982 VAMP's upper chasis was either damgaed, lost or unavailable when they made the 1984 SEARS exclusive set and a modified chasis had to be made using what was available...1984 VAMP Mark II and Stinger molds. Two years later, the box art and SEARS exclusive VAMP molds are used for the Japanese released VAMP (1986).

Theory 2:

There was no difference between the original VAMP and the SEARS exclusive VAMP. The original VAMP mold was sent to another country, possibly the UK or Brazil, prior to 1986. The 1986 Japanese-released VAMP had to use a modified VAMP Mk II mold to look more like the original VAMP (might explain why tan Clutch was included with the Japanese VAMP if he came along with the VAMP Mk II molds). The modified mold was a quick fix and never used again, because Hasbro had access to the original VAMP molds again (1989 Mail-in VAMP Mk II and Tiger Sting).

Also, your VAMP is using headlight stickers from a Cobra Stinger...so it's possible that some of the other stickers may not have come with it originally.

Obiwanjacoby
07-17-2005, 02:54 PM
My Japanese VAMP has all the features you noted on your VAMP.

Thanks Sephiroth! Appreciated!

Some other things to ponder.

Theory 1:

Your VAMP is from the SEARS boxed set.(snip)

Theory 2:

There was no difference between the original VAMP and the SEARS exclusive VAMP.(snip)

Great theories (see my earlier posts on this). There's only one way to find out for sure.

Also, your VAMP is using headlight stickers from a Cobra Stinger...so it's possible that some of the other stickers may not have come with it originally.

Like I said. . .:rolleyes:

I wrote an eariler disclaimer regarding the decals, the focus was only on the molding of the hood. My VAMP has replacement decals. . .because I'm a collector. ;)

That's all I'm sayin'. Just want a peek inside a boxed Sears VAMP in bag.

-PJ

Sephiroth
07-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Sure, a quick look at a sealed SEARS VAMP & HAL would solve this...but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

I wrote an eariler disclaimer regarding the decals, the focus was only on the molding of the hood. My VAMP has replacement decals. . .because I'm a collector.

Anyway, I brought up the comment about the decals because you never fully discounted them as part of your deduction. You used the the decals as one of two reasons to consider that your vamp was a US release.

It's most reasonable to consider this as a US release because of the stamp and decals. Not definitive proof, but corroborative. . .and just as good to put us in the right direction. All we need now to nail it shut is a MISB example. Or at least looking in the bag.

Concerning your other reason; the Japanese VAMP uses the same US date stamp. If you can no longer rely on either of these two reasons, they're not really good towards pointing us in any direction.

The argument could be made that if the SEARS set did in fact use the modified mold, then more examples would be easier to find. However, that is not the case; you found only one in a lot of thirty. Going by the evidence so far, looking at actual hood mold, suggests that your VAMP is more likely Japanese and less likely from the SEARS exclusive set.

I'm sure we'll find out for sure one day, but it doesn't really matter to me either way. It is an interesting subject, though.

Obiwanjacoby
07-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Sure, a quick look at a sealed SEARS VAMP & HAL would solve this...but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

MISB collectors have opened exclusives in the past to confirm stuff like this. That's how we settled the Benny's Exclusive mystery figures, and the sealed Sears MCHQ Cobra Commander. But aside from that, Mark is an example of someone that would go so far as to do this. If I could find one for sale, I'd not only buy it, but open it myself and scan the sealed contents to confirm this regardless of whether it's a regular VAMP or not.

Anyway, I brought up the comment about the decals because you never fully discounted them as part of your deduction. You used the the decals as one of two reasons to consider that your vamp was a US release.

Correct. But that was for Gen. Storm's VAMP that was merely described, not mine that I pictured. My VAMP has incomplete decals. IMO, Gen. Storm's is a better example.

Concerning your other reason; the Japanese VAMP uses the same US date stamp. If you can no longer rely on either of these two reasons, they're not really good towards pointing us in any direction.

You're right. Maybe only the decals determine whether a VAMP w/this variant is a Sears Exclusive or Japanese. Both are very difficult to determine even remotely what their rarity is. Regardless, maybe the Sears VAMP has a difference in detail that neither of the ones pictured have.

However, that is not the case; you found only one in a lot of thirty.

Two actually, mine and Gen. Storm's.

I'm sure we'll find out for sure one day,

Same here. And the sooner the better. I'm more obsessed with helping create an exhaustive YoJoe archive than I am about actually owning the things.

-PJ

thunt4
07-17-2005, 11:59 PM
I remember around5 years ago this came up. Someone comfirmed that the sears vamp had variations when compared to the 83 vamp but I can not remember what it was. If i find anyone with the set I will ask them to check

Mark W. Bellomo
07-18-2005, 01:00 PM
I have this boxed set MISB and... well... was going to sell it one day, so I don't really feel comfy-cozy about opening the conents.

Eeep.

-- MWB

Goofateer
07-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Quote >>>So you're saying that the Sears VAMP has distinct differences from other VAMPs? Because how can you tell a loose Sears VAMP from a regular one?<<<

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I saying that I have seen more MIP Sears sets, and even just empty boxes, than I have seen the variant Vamp. If there is a differance between a standard Vamp, and a Sears Vamp, I have no idea what it would be.

PrimeNYBT
07-26-2005, 01:30 PM
After reading this I looked at my Vamp and it has the shovel on the passenger side.

I have the tan vamp MK2, the brown vamp mk2, the stinger, the tiger sting, and the tiger sting UK version. and none of them have this body mold.

The only other Vamps that have the shovel are the ones that have the stinger mold. As far as I can tell.

I got my Vamp on ebay about 4 years ago. So I have no idea what it can from.

Obiwanjacoby
07-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Regardless of where it came from, I think a pic of a mint example of the variant should at least be included in the archives.

-PJ

onPoint
08-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Guys, I know I am responding pretty late in the game here, but I thought you might be interested in what I have to say. Now I cannot 100% confirm the other side of this story, but once I explain my side of the story you can make you own decision.

About a year ago I bought an opened Sears Vamp/Hal with box and blueprints from someone. The seller mentioned to me that it included all original vehicles, blueprints, blah, blah, blah. I really didn't think much of it at the time because I was mainly interested in the box plus I really didn't think there were any variations of either one of these vehicles. Well after reading this thread I went back and looked at that particular set and the Vamp I have has the shovel minus the webgear/rucksack on the hood. I believe that the Sears Vamp was made from another mold and hence how we have this variation.

I have included a link for reference. I hope this helps.

- onPoint

http://www.onpointcreative.com/vamp.jpg

Clutch II
08-11-2005, 11:42 PM
ok to give you an idea of what i know there was a Gi joe club which offered special deals to members of which i was one in 84,85 there were a couple of vehicles offered thru Hasbro to club members 1 was a H.I.S.S. tank for $4 no figure another was a V.A.M.P. for $4 no figure also offered was a J.U.M.P. for $2 and a H.A.L. and F.L.A.K. for like $3 ea. these were club exclusives,and i remember the Vamp did look different when i ordered them(i ordered a bunch of the Hiss's and Vamp's.).

The Real Destro
08-12-2005, 04:12 PM
I got a vamp from hasbro, that has the small gun/cam on the drivers side and shovel on the passenger but its dark brown the wheels is dark brown too..

KrymsynGardImmoral
12-13-2005, 03:35 PM
I just found one of these variants in my VAMP box. I have one question that may have been addressed, but I didn't see it. Mine has the steering wheel peg in the middle of the steering wheel hole. I have not checked, but I don't think a regular VAMP steering wheel will fit on that peg, is the steering wheel different for this VAMP, more like the stinger wheel?

I'll be getting up to look as soon as I am done typing.

KrymsynGardImmoral
12-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Yeah, different dashboard, a VAMP 1 steering wheel will never fit. So, this would have had a black or green VAMP 2 or Stinger steering wheel?

Obiwanjacoby
12-14-2005, 12:55 AM
Yeah, different dashboard, a VAMP 1 steering wheel will never fit. So, this would have had a black or green VAMP 2 or Stinger steering wheel?

Mine has the green Stinger steering wheel. Hope this helps. Any way of getting a camera to zoom in on the dash details?

Thanks for the help. Appreciated!

-PJ