Variant covers: Your POV! [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Variant covers: Your POV!

Obiwanjacoby
07-23-2005, 01:54 AM
OMG, I'm doing a poll. Yep. I'm going to try to get as many reasonable options in this as I can. Let DD know your feelings on this one.

-PJ

CGC
07-23-2005, 02:17 AM
Hmm...

One more option, at least for me. I bought the con edition just beacause I was there, more as a souvenier. I suppose this kind of counts as your 3rd option, not quite sure. :confused:

Obiwanjacoby
07-23-2005, 02:40 AM
. . .:mad:!!!

There's a convention edition of the same issue? :rolleyes:

I'm sure that'd fall under #2 or #3. I'm going to go someplace safe for my head to explode now.

-PJ

Icebreaker
07-23-2005, 06:31 AM
I like Devils due, and nothing against the art or stories, but I could care less about variant covers.

I'm looking for a great story in my joe comics. If there are mulitple covers of the same comic book, I'm still only going to buy one. As joe is the only book I buy, and I'm not a comic collector, per se, variant covers are more just a gimmick in my opinion.

It's like, am I going to buy every "Duke" that comes out? No. They are all "Duke", no matter what color changes are made to the mold, or what is sculpted on him.

Maybe that's a bad example.

Anyway, I like content, and one cover for one story is all I want.

Of course, if they want to do variant cover pages, I would be all for a couple of loose insert pages that are included just inside the front cover as a sort of bonus, or "here ya go, free joe art--thanks for reading!"

Jeff Bohn
07-23-2005, 06:37 AM
#1a Regular cover
#1B Joe Convention Cover (Scarlett)
#1C Buymetoys.com cover (Snake Eyes)
#1D Graham Crackers (Snake Eyes Capt America Homage)
#1E Graham Crackers (Snake Eyes Capt America Homage Silver Foil)
#1F SDCC Con cover (Snake Eyes and SS)

6 covers. At this point, I'm not complaining anymore. When I used to collect 35 different titles it was more of a problem though.

Joeczar
07-23-2005, 09:23 AM
I'm pretty sure my dislike of variant covers comes from owniing a comic shop during the early '90's. The whole variant/special cover carze really got out of hand then and almost caused the whole industry to implode. I was at the convention and passed on buying the DD variant there, I wait until the regular #1 came out the next week (Plus, I was able to read a copy at the show, that was enough tp tide me over until the next week!). I'll just stick with the regular no-frills editions.

danielmd06
07-23-2005, 10:49 AM
I pick up variant covers, but rarely. It usually depends on the quality of the artwork on the specific cover. Normally I just pass these days, as I too remember the early 1990's where the greed of the comic companies nearly destroyed the industry.

SharpShot
07-24-2005, 12:42 PM
I used to buy the alt covers, but then the quality of the artwork started to slip.

I'm less inclined to buy alt covers now, because everyone is right... It's what's inside the cover that counts.

sinnister
07-24-2005, 02:54 PM
I for one dont like the variant covers. Although I have yet to read my DDP Joe comics, I'm just wanting one of each. Seems like just a way to squeeze more money out of the collector...however...that's their job. Having the variant covers dont bother me per se...as long as I pick up the correct version of the comic that I'm wanting.