Question regarding Extreme and Sgt. Savage in comics... [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Question regarding Extreme and Sgt. Savage in comics...

justking81
07-27-2005, 10:37 PM
I vaguely remember a GI Joe Extreme comic to go along with the cartoon and toys, and I remember Sgt. Savage being toys only. Has the Extreme "universe" or Sgt. Savage "universe" been referenced in the "official" GI Joe canon?

SharpShot
07-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Sort of... but not in the comics.

The Extreme comic only lasted 8 issues and never made reference to RAH GIJOE.

However, the Sgt. Savage cartoon episode "Old Soldiers Never Die" does have cameos by Hawk, Doc and a blonde Lady Jaye.

Sgt. Savage's character was later incoporated into Extreme, so there is a loose connection, but only through that particular cartoon episode.

No further mention is made by any other Savage product.

(It's sort of like the arguement about whether or not GIJOE is in the Marvel universe... Sort of)

Deadman2099
07-28-2005, 02:00 PM
hmm.. considering there was an appearance of J. Jonah Jameson in GI JOE, i don't see what the argument would be. :P GI JOE was in the marvel universe, at that time anyway.

SharpShot
07-29-2005, 11:50 AM
I guess what I was trying to say is that out of 155+ issues, a Marvel character only appears once.

Plus it didn't happen until issue 95.

Once isn't good enough for some people, especially those jaded souls that really wanted to see a Wolverine vs. Snake-Eyes issue. :)

Rotty
07-29-2005, 07:39 PM
I vaguely remember a GI Joe Extreme comic to go along with the cartoon and toys, and I remember Sgt. Savage being toys only. Has the Extreme "universe" or Sgt. Savage "universe" been referenced in the "official" GI Joe canon?

No, but RAH was heavily referenced in the Sgt. Savage animated video, with appearances by Hawk, Lady Jaye, Doc, and Cobra Commander. Sgt. Savage was a major character in the Extreme comic.

The two spinoffs are also linked back to RAH via the fiction for the Transformers: Binaltech/Alternators (name in Japan/the West, respectively) toy line, in which Flint infiltrates a terrorist organization headed up by General Blitz and Iron Klaw.

SharpShot
07-30-2005, 11:37 AM
I completely forgot about the major implication with Cobra Commander in the Savage animated episode.

General Blitz claims to have helped start Cobra.

That was a heavy duty continuity shake-up. I can understand wanting to tie in Savage with RAH somehow, but did they need to go that far?

This was coming on the heels of the intial cancellation of RAH back in '94 and messing with the continuity like that was a slap in the face!

Graz73
08-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Two things:

I think there was some reference in the Extremem comics to the original series, but I don't remember it. It was a long time ago...

Larry Hama stated in the letters page of the marvel comic several times that GI Joe was NOT part of the regular marvel universe. I don't think he even wanted it to be part of the TRANSFORMERS universe, but that was stuck in there anyhow...