View Full Version : Vonage

sinnister
08-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Ok...so I keep seeing this commercial for Vonage for home phone service. Has anyone tried it? If I'm not mistaken it is a total of 29 bucks a month for all local and long distance charges. Anyone have any experience in dealing with them?? :confused:

Icebreaker
08-11-2005, 05:06 PM
I tried, as well as with my cable company's (like I have a choice) cable phone.

Long story short, not available in my area.

Seems like it would be a good thing, especially if one were to get a package cable deal (if one uses the cable company's cable phone, especially). Cable, phone, high speed internet in a less expensive bundle package, ya know?

CGC
08-11-2005, 05:08 PM
No, but their commercials are funny, my favorite is the snowmobiler. :eek: :D

sinnister
08-11-2005, 05:11 PM
No, but their commercials are funny, my favorite is the snowmobiler. :eek: :D

My favorite is the one where the guy jumps on the treadmill...probably because in many a drunken stupor we did the same at my best friends parents house. I hated to explain the hole in their wall that was the exact same size as my foot! :eek:

sinnister
08-11-2005, 05:16 PM
This is what I have learned...not much!

Supposedly you have to change your number...no big deal...no one calls me anyway! You apparently can get it so you can keep your number but they take their sweet time about doing so. I'd just get a new one and be done with it.

Power goes out...no phone. Well...I dont own a phone that isnt cordless so when the power goes out...I have no phone anyway. Besides...I have a cell for emergencies like that.

911 is a little iffy too. Apparently, when you call 911 it goes through vonage first and not directly to the 911 operator. This is a little old information so perhaps they have changed this...

I really dont care too much about phones. My wife on the other hand has to have every bell and whistle they offer. If I switched to vonage (which comes with all those bells and whistles...caller id, blah blah) I'd save at least 60 bucks a month. Thats 60 bucks extra a month for either Joes or to put in my motorcycle fund.

whitedalek
08-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Go ahead and switch, Sinnister! Phone bills versus Joes or a hawg?? That's a no-brainer! Just put your foot down and tell your wife what's what! :D

Goldbug
08-11-2005, 06:37 PM
My parents have it.
No you don't have to change your number. Yes they take their time doing it. Actually it is your current phone company who does that. They don't want to lose you so they take their time as long as they can.

Yep power goes out then your router goes out which your phone is plugged into. Though I suppose you could add some sort of backup battery.

Not only that but if your ISP goes down. Guess what no phone either.

911 none yet. There was a law passed that said they had to provide it so it is coming.

It is much cheaper & no dumb fees like regular phone companies have.

Oh another sweet thing. My dad took his router to Canada & essentially his phone number. IE if anyone called the number they would get him in Canada!
So it is portable. All you need is a broadband internet connection.

Plus you can choose whatever phone number you want. that is if you want to have a new number. For example, say you lived in New York & most of your relatives etc live in San Francisco. You could get a SF number so they could call you "locally". However all your calls you make in NY would be long distance. :D It wouldn't be as expensive as regular phone company rates though.

This is what I have learned...not much!

Supposedly you have to change your number...no big deal...no one calls me anyway! You apparently can get it so you can keep your number but they take their sweet time about doing so. I'd just get a new one and be done with it.

Power goes out...no phone. Well...I dont own a phone that isnt cordless so when the power goes out...I have no phone anyway. Besides...I have a cell for emergencies like that.

911 is a little iffy too. Apparently, when you call 911 it goes through vonage first and not directly to the 911 operator. This is a little old information so perhaps they have changed this...

I really dont care too much about phones. My wife on the other hand has to have every bell and whistle they offer. If I switched to vonage (which comes with all those bells and whistles...caller id, blah blah) I'd save at least 60 bucks a month. Thats 60 bucks extra a month for either Joes or to put in my motorcycle fund.

I tried, as well as with my cable company's (like I have a choice) cable phone.

Long story short, not available in my area.

Seems like it would be a good thing, especially if one were to get a package cable deal (if one uses the cable company's cable phone, especially). Cable, phone, high speed internet in a less expensive bundle package, ya know?

Nope Vonage is cheaper than Comcast's equivalent phone service.
Although broadband + TV there is a discount.

Clutch II
08-11-2005, 07:32 PM
i have actually put Vonage on my ban list and have informed any of my friends to do the same since they have done deals with disreputable marketing companies like yieldmanager and such,any company that would use a adware or spamware company to do advertising is a nono in my books.

zartanspal
08-11-2005, 08:38 PM
I have a digital phone VOIP through my cable company Time Warner. It basically costs $39.95 a month for unlimited calls to anywhere in the US and Canada and all of the extras like caller id, unlisted phone number etc. I am very happy with it. Sure if the power goes out I don't have a phone but that is why I have a cell phone. I say go for it.

Goldbug
08-11-2005, 10:00 PM
i have actually put Vonage on my ban list and have informed any of my friends to do the same since they have done deals with disreputable marketing companies like yieldmanager and such,any company that would use a adware or spamware company to do advertising is a nono in my books.

You would be amazed to know more companies do it besides Vonage. I'm sure somewhere online there is a list.

Clutch II
08-11-2005, 10:23 PM
You would be amazed to know more companies do it besides Vonage. I'm sure somewhere online there is a list.

yeah Verizon is another one.

sinnister
08-11-2005, 10:40 PM

I admire your stance on this.

However...if you are going to boycott every company that uses it...I dont see you using many companies at all. As a matter of fact, I just refused a cookie from ads.doubleclick.com when signing into these forums we all love so much. I'm not blaming yojoe...more of an Action Online thing or whatever server they are using to run this site.

For those of you who do not know...doubleclick is a very common form of adware/spyware that usually gets put onto your computer through internet cookies.

Arashikage_Tengu
08-12-2005, 12:17 AM
I haven't tried Vonage, but I have a great tagline for the company:

"Are you sporting major Vonage?"

stad
08-16-2005, 11:07 PM
My stepson has it, and I've had no problems getting ahold of him, or vice versa. No long distance fees, and when he's over here on his laptop he can see who has called his house too. I haven't switched yet, buy I've been seriously considering it.

gutstheberserker
08-17-2005, 08:32 AM
I just use IM and a good headset or my cell

thorn
08-17-2005, 10:31 AM
a firend of mine has vonage, he loves it.
not sure i want ot be dependant on elctricity for the phone myself jsut yet.

poor people's phone service is still cheaper. like $7 per month, i jsut use my cell for Long distance