Does GI Joe really belong on the big screen? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Does GI Joe really belong on the big screen?

Lowlight
08-17-2005, 05:28 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while and come to the conclusion that a movie for GI Joe is all wrong. Aside from the fact that it would get all screwed up, focus on only one or two main characters (Snake Eyes and/or Duke most likely) or introduce a new "user friendly" joe for all the non-fans, it would be too hard to create a decent atmosphere of enmity and history against Cobra.

The true answer for the Joes is a live-action TV show. I realize at first glance this seems unlikely, but I'm not talking reality here. This is nothing more than my eager mind putting words to my hope. A TV series would allow for exploration of character, different themes, heck, different villains once in a while. If you don't like Serpentor, don't tune in during Sweeps next month. :)

Along the lines of Alias or 24 combined with something like that new series Over There. Play it serious and push the envelope. It shouldn't be a cartoon, nor invoke the images of the cartoon or comics past. The only thing they offer is a framework for the characters and a possible history for what could be to come.

A movie would be too restricting and would almost inevitably fall short of what we, the fans, would like to see. Disappointment seems a foregone conclusion. What do you all think about a TV series? Would it work?

Clutch II
08-17-2005, 05:40 PM
mark my words just as the G.I.Joe cartoon movie destroyed the industry so shall a live action movie destroy it a second time.

SharpShot
08-20-2005, 11:51 AM
A movie would be too restricting and would almost inevitably fall short of what we, the fans, would like to see. Disappointment seems a foregone conclusion. What do you all think about a TV series? Would it work?

Isn't that what Hollywood is all about???

Bleak5170
08-22-2005, 06:02 AM
Live-action G.I. Joe, whether it be a movie or a t.v. series would most likely be an abomination. There certainly wouldn't be much of a budget for either one and they would end up being embarassing. Not to mention we 'd have to endure B-list actors butchering our favourite characters.

MikePrime
08-22-2005, 02:29 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while and come to the conclusion that a movie for GI Joe is all wrong. Aside from the fact that it would get all screwed up, focus on only one or two main characters (Snake Eyes and/or Duke most likely) or introduce a new "user friendly" joe for all the non-fans, it would be too hard to create a decent atmosphere of enmity and history against Cobra.

The true answer for the Joes is a live-action TV show. I realize at first glance this seems unlikely, but I'm not talking reality here. This is nothing more than my eager mind putting words to my hope. A TV series would allow for exploration of character, different themes, heck, different villains once in a while. If you don't like Serpentor, don't tune in during Sweeps next month. :)

Along the lines of Alias or 24 combined with something like that new series Over There. Play it serious and push the envelope. It shouldn't be a cartoon, nor invoke the images of the cartoon or comics past. The only thing they offer is a framework for the characters and a possible history for what could be to come.

You are onto something here. I watch Stargate SG-1 and when I watch it I think that it's how G.I. Joe should be handled. Maybe it would have a bit larger budget, but I think that a TV series would be good for G.I. Joe. It's the team dynamic and how the characters releate to one another that makes the show so good. Stargate Sg-1 is the closest thing to G.I. Joe on TV.

Character development would be a main part of G.I. Joe and that can only be done in a television series. There could be episodes focusing on one a few characters and maybe ten or more for large missions. A feature film would be trapped by introducing each character or making them one-dimensional for the sake of time.