Operation: DIC -- Write In Campaign to Get DIC On DVD! [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Operation: DIC -- Write In Campaign to Get DIC On DVD!

kepulver
08-18-2005, 09:56 PM
DIC has publicly announced that they have made an agreement to release their video library to DVD if the fans show support for the release, soooo there is now a write in campaign to try and get the DIC episodes of GI Joe released to DVD. You can find more information and banners and other cool stuff here:

http://www.joebattlelines.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2152

Now, I pinched myself good and hard so this is not a dream -- or if it is, it's a dream where I bruise -- so, let's get those emails sent in!

Don't want to click on the link? Send emails to homeentertainment@dicentertainment.com

Thanks!

Kathy

GothicZanya
08-18-2005, 11:44 PM
DIC has publicly announced that they have made an agreement to release their video library to DVD if the fans show support for the release, soooo there is now a write in campaign to try and get the DIC episodes of GI Joe released to DVD. You can find more information and banners and other cool stuff here:

http://www.joebattlelines.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2152

Now, I pinched myself good and hard so this is not a dream -- or if it is, it's a dream where I bruise -- so, let's get those emails sent in!

Don't want to click on the link? Send emails to homeentertainment@dicentertainment.com

Thanks!

Kathy

don't forget the remaining season 2 from sunbow!

we'll let sonymusic do the all the gijoe sunbow seasons completed on dvd!

remember season 1 is already completed!

Obiwanjacoby
08-19-2005, 12:53 AM
I'm with what Recondo said on that thread 100%. . .

Mmmmm. Not to be a spoil sport, I'll do whatever I can to help YOU guys out as a fellow Joe collector & friend, but it kinda has to end there. I have no desire at all to see this stuff out.. its just terrible. I am not saying that Kathy isn't right & there are a few episodes here or there... but as a whole, it just plain sucks, & I am not sure I could ever justify buying a whole season of that stuff just to get those few & far between "decent" episodes. I'd rather spend my $ on a season of Thundercats or mask or HeMan or TF or almost anything else. I think it'll flop in a bad way & there will just be another excuse that companies will use to not do (other) cool Joe stuff... i.e. "Joe fans just don't support the sales of Joe product well enough, so we're not going to risk it", yada, yada, yada (which is false.. we just don't support CRAP.. lol).

In short, in my opinion , something like this would hurt "Joe" more than it helps. But that's just me.

Still, like I said earlier, because I know that a few of you DO like the DiC stuff for whatever reason & I want to be supportive to YOU, I'll sign whatever I need to sign. Where's the dotted line?

. . .the only difference I have w/this is that I'm not going to sign the petition. I don't want everything that had the Joe logo on it kept for posterity, only the Sunbow/Hama portions.

While the banner sez, "They were GIJoe too." They should add "in name only" to the tag. The DIC series did more harm than help to Joe's image IMO, whereas the CGI series wasn't long enough, and Sigma Six still has yet to prove itself.

-PJ

GothicZanya
08-19-2005, 07:59 PM

. . .the only difference I have w/this is that I'm not going to sign the petition. I don't want everything that had the Joe logo on it kept for posterity, only the Sunbow/Hama portions.

While the banner sez, "They were GIJoe too." They should add "in name only" to the tag. The DIC series did more harm than help to Joe's image IMO, whereas the CGI series wasn't long enough, and Sigma Six still has yet to prove itself.

-PJ

aw come on!

I like these joe cartoons and I'm a big fan of them. the characters are not that bad. I really want them on dvd!

SharpShot
08-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Clearly, DIC didn't produce the best of anything GIJOE. But that dosen't mean we should dismiss it.

DIC did had a few shining moments...

I will say that Victory at Volcania is one of the best cartoon episodes of both the DIC and Sunbow series. It had all the "classic" elements of an ambitious Cobra plot that was foiled by a well-conceived GIJoe counter attack.

More interesting was the portrayal of General Hawk going through a mid-life crisis.

All in all, it managed to do in 2 episodes what some of the 5-part miniseries did.

I want to see that on DVD!

Obiwanjacoby
08-20-2005, 12:31 PM
DIC did had a few shining moments...

I will say that Victory at Volcania is one of the best cartoon episodes of both the DIC and Sunbow series. It had all the "classic" elements of an ambitious Cobra plot that was foiled by a well-conceived GIJoe counter attack.

Ah, it's the "quality, not quantity" angle. I see.

In that case, I'll settle for a single "Best of. . ." DVD then. :D

The rest? Burn 'em.

-PJ

Rotty
08-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Ah, it's the "quality, not quantity" angle. I see.

In that case, I'll settle for a single "Best of. . ." DVD then. :D

The rest? Burn 'em.

-PJ

Geez, PJ, what about the fans who do want the episodes saved? Don't be a DICweed. :(

Obiwanjacoby
08-20-2005, 06:56 PM
LOL! DICweed. :D Hey, it's my choice right? They'll do it if fans support it, and I honestly don't support it.

With the purest of optimistic expectations, I watched the entire run on USA Cartoon Express back in the 90s (twice) and can't remember a single ep. I liked. To me it's all a blur. But Sharpshot sez there were a few good ones. Okay, cool. I'll sign a petition for a "Best of DIC" DVD then. And I'll even buy it, too.

But I don't wanna lie on behalf of all those who'll just buy anything with a Joe logo on it. And I'm not gonna vote for it simply out of peer pressure. If Hasbro issued a petition to bring back Star Brigade Armor Tech or Eco Warriors, would you sign it if a bunch of fans twisted your arm?

BTW, there were a few of those from both subsets cited above that I liked.

Seriously, I think this is why it took five years to get the figures the way they are now. We need to send clear messages about what we will & won't buy.

You don't like Sigma Six? Then don't support it.
Don't buy the figures. And don't sign any petitions to bring it back. . .no matter how much I beg you. :D

See, I do understand it from both sides in this case. If you don't think it's true to the Joe mythos. . .vote from your heart. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

-PJ

This I Command!
08-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Well...on the DIC subject. Although the Sunbow series and comic are OBVIOUSLY of a much much higher viewing quality in both plot and animation style. Asides from its handful of truthfully good episodes. Dic is still a vital part of Joe lore. I personally find the DIC episodes to be highly enjoyable in part for their cheesefactor but also because it was a means of seeing more characters brought to life through animation. It has its place in history and I think a lot of its poor reputation is undeserved, it has sort of a snowball effect too because one person says it sucks and it spreads like wildfire I bet the truth is that the majority of board members haven't seen a DIC episode in years and if they have it has been one of the 3 commericaly released tapes (which were NOT good picks for release). Anyways I own all of the episodes on VHS and still find them to be fun for a watch every now and then. However with their getting old and tapes wearing out, I would love to see a DVD release....Now there is a big problem with releasing these as DVD sets and that is that they have to be mass marketed and the majority of collectors and casual buyers are NOT going to purcahse these, sad...but true. Its a shame really Hasbro can't release these DVDs themselves the DTC route they are doing with the figures as it would reach its target audience and we wouldn't be left with a store house of unsold DIC DVDs. I've mentioned this before but I DO think we are going to get these at some point in the future and they will probably be rather obscure, like the type of things that go straight to the $5 bin at Wal-Mart before disapearing shortly after. This same thing has happened with other DIC produced series such as Swamp Thing so I can totally see the same happening for Joe. The bad part about this is that we won't get the full run of episodes but rather poorly selected, half hearted efforts, basically throw togethers but no matter how hard we try I really don't see these getting a substanial release.

Icebreaker
08-20-2005, 09:20 PM

-PJ

Thank you for your support! I hope to get these on DVD, ASAP!

Obiwanjacoby
08-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Thank you for your support! I hope to get these on DVD, ASAP!

I moved from a hard "no". . .to a "best of DVD". But that's not enough.

Alright already. . .

I'll sign anything you guys want, if you all sign the petition to bring the 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special to DVD, okay? I know somebody's posted one somewhere. . .

http://galactic-voyage.com/Movies-Holiday%20Special.htm

-PJ

GothicZanya
08-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Well...on the DIC subject. Although the Sunbow series and comic are OBVIOUSLY of a much much higher viewing quality in both plot and animation style. Asides from its handful of truthfully good episodes. Dic is still a vital part of Joe lore. I personally find the DIC episodes to be highly enjoyable in part for their cheesefactor but also because it was a means of seeing more characters brought to life through animation. It has its place in history and I think a lot of its poor reputation is undeserved, it has sort of a snowball effect too because one person says it sucks and it spreads like wildfire I bet the truth is that the majority of board members haven't seen a DIC episode in years and if they have it has been one of the 3 commericaly released tapes (which were NOT good picks for release). Anyways I own all of the episodes on VHS and still find them to be fun for a watch every now and then. However with their getting old and tapes wearing out, I would love to see a DVD release....Now there is a big problem with releasing these as DVD sets and that is that they have to be mass marketed and the majority of collectors and casual buyers are NOT going to purcahse these, sad...but true. Its a shame really Hasbro can't release these DVDs themselves the DTC route they are doing with the figures as it would reach its target audience and we wouldn't be left with a store house of unsold DIC DVDs. I've mentioned this before but I DO think we are going to get these at some point in the future and they will probably be rather obscure, like the type of things that go straight to the $5 bin at Wal-Mart before disapearing shortly after. This same thing has happened with other DIC produced series such as Swamp Thing so I can totally see the same happening for Joe. The bad part about this is that we won't get the full run of episodes but rather poorly selected, half hearted efforts, basically throw togethers but no matter how hard we try I really don't see these getting a substanial release.

whatever you like it or not all episodes must have on dvd and digitally remastered, I like it alot and I'm a huge fan of the characters joe/cobra in the dic's gijoe! some of the dreadnoks are in the cartoons, the only dreadnoks that are in the episodes are zarana and gnawgahyde.

remember that destro in his iron grenadiers uniform!

night vipers, alley vipers, incinerators, skycreepers, night vultures, 1991 bats, 1991 snow serpents, undertows, vapors, 1990 night creepers, crimson guard immortals!

talking battle commenders are there! stalker, general hawk, overkill and cobra commander!

super sonic figures are there too! rock n roll, zap, road pig, major bludd, psyche out!

check out the air commandos! skymate, cloudburst, sky creeper, night vulture!

I like the joe vehicles of the 1989 to 1992. it's too bad updraft, coldfront, major storm, barricade, ghostrider, dogfight, payload never show up in these episodes.

gotta check out the eco-warriors flint, clean sweep, ozone, cesspool, toxo vipers and sludge vipers!

the battle copter pilots are major storm and interogator

glad to see dusty and his coyote sandstorm

check out these desert scorpions and the giant scorpion!

scarlett made her appearance only on some computer screen before you can see her in the 1991 season of dic's joe toons!

gotta love that female range viper!

Rotty
08-20-2005, 10:53 PM
I moved from a hard "no". . .to a "best of DVD". But that's not enough.

Alright already. . .

I'll sign anything you guys want, if you all sign the petition to bring the 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special to DVD, okay? I know somebody's posted one somewhere. . .

http://galactic-voyage.com/Movies-Holiday%20Special.htm

-PJ

Just point me to that petition, PJ. :p
Kids in the '70s being exposed to Chewbacca's dad Itchy getting aroused is the most hilarious part of the Star Wars saga. :D

Icebreaker
08-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Just point me to that petition, PJ. :p
Kids in the '70s being exposed to Chewbacca's dad Itchy getting aroused is the most hilarious part of the Star Wars saga. :D

I'm there, just point it out! I would like to see this, too!

Obiwanjacoby
08-20-2005, 11:51 PM
I'm there, just point it out! I would like to see this, too!

Well, crap. . .I did a Google search. There was a petition once. . .

Star Wars Holiday Special
Petitiononline.com - The Star Wars Holiday Special Petition. An online petition
dedicated to seeing the release of the Holiday Special - a noble cause ...
www.starwarsholidayspecial.com/links.htm (http://www.starwarsholidayspecial.com/links.htm) - 14k - Aug 19, 2005 -

But all I get is a "404" error. . .

I guess it sucked SO bad that not even the fans wanted it. :rolleyes:

Which in a way, only goes to prove my point. :D

-PJ

Kann
08-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Im im.:) I never seen the Dic's befour

Kann
08-22-2005, 01:23 PM
Geez, PJ, what about the fans who do want the episodes saved? Don't be a DICweed. :(

:D DICweed HAHA i like that word.:D Yeah I want to see the episodes u only seen one and that is on VHS.:(

Patrick A. Riley
08-22-2005, 02:09 PM
I sent in my e-mail!

the scarecrow
08-22-2005, 05:26 PM
I support all official releases of any television series, especially one of my favorites- DiC G.I. Joe. That said, after years of watching this series on sub-par quality tapes, the time has come. Shout! Factory owns the rights; so email. Thanks. Email sent! :D :D :D

Star Wars Holiday Special.... a classic

Too bad Mr. Lucas would prefer to see every bootleg burned. I love that 70s goodness!

Snake Eyes
08-22-2005, 06:58 PM
email sent yesterday.

Obiwanjacoby
08-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Star Wars Holiday Special.... a classic

Too bad Mr. Lucas would prefer to see every bootleg burned. I love that 70s goodness!

Well you know he had these outrageous issues with such paltry details like. . .oh, I dunno. . .1/2 hearted writing, dialogue, (flat) characterization, poor pacing, bad editing, cheap sets, cheap costumes, and cheap guest-stars. If Krusty the Clown was a real person, he'd have been in it.

But of course, those issues just aren't important to fans of any collectible licence, Star Wars. . .or otherwise. :rolleyes:

-PJ

Richard J.
08-23-2005, 05:27 AM
I'm sending them an e-mail.

The DIC episodes may not have been the best but what the heck! I watched them and I derived some pleasure from them. They weren't as good as the Sunbow series, but they weren't total garbage in my eyes.

Were they great? No.

Were they good? Sometimes.

Do I want them? You betcha!

Why? Because I love GI Joe. From the straight armed Cobra Officer to the many uniforms of Duke, from the Night Watch Humvee to the Cobra Buzz Boar, from my favorite comic moment of Ace and Wild Weasel saluting each other to the death scene of Lady Jaye, I love GI Joe.

The DIC episodes are another part of the Joeverse.

I love them despite their flaws.

Richard J.

P.S.

PJ, think of supporting those who do want a release as doing a good deed for someone who doesn't really deserve it. Free karma points! ;)

Obiwanjacoby
08-23-2005, 06:59 AM
I watched them and I derived some pleasure from them.

I. . .tried. :o No, really I did. Every morning in the mid-'90s at my friend Chris' house.

They weren't as good as the Sunbow series, but they weren't total garbage in my eyes.

I admit I'm spoiled on alot of classical theatre and English lit. Add to the fact that I'm a nitpicky continuity lawyer with just about everything out there.

Furthermore, I admit my standard is set too high. But that's what I dream of, for whatever object of fan-appreciation there is. Name the fandom and I only wish the best for it. Early Marvel and Sunbow made a skilled storytelling impression to begin with. That standard should never have been lowered, IMO.

Why? Because I love GI Joe. From the straight armed Cobra Officer to the many uniforms of Duke, from the Night Watch Humvee to the Cobra Buzz Boar, from my favorite comic moment of Ace and Wild Weasel saluting each other to the death scene of Lady Jaye, I love GI Joe.

Me too! That was fantastic Richard, especially your (now very obscure) Shakedown allusion. I want more of that. I don't want that kind of art to slip into obscurity. And stuff like DIC just buries it in obscurity, adding more cheese where none was necessary to begin with.

I wonder if the hardcore Batman fan says the same if you mention the movie with George Clooney in it, "It had the title 'Batman' in it, therefore I love it because I love Batman." WTF?!??

But you should know by now, I'm not your typical Orthodox Joe fan. :cool:

I think that's why Culpepper and other Joe fans hate me so much. Because I put the standard over the hero, not the other way around. I just realized that. Doesn't anyone here realize that quality artistic standards make the hero more heroic???

To use the Batman example again. . .sure, I'll watch Adam West occasionally for a laugh. But I don't want him memorialized, nor would I use Adam West to introduce "Batman" to some Amish cat from the sticks.

The DIC episodes are another part of the Joeverse.

I agree. . .but in name only.

Listen, I don't want children or their mothers relating to guys like me through the blurry "pseudo-Joe" that is DIC animation. If we're to introduce a new generation to GIJoe, I'd rather it be Sigma Six over DIC.

Why?

Because I'd rather roll the dice on anime from a trusted class-A studio, over a production company that I know has caused me many a wasted weekday morning. Hopefully, Sigma-Six will deliver the high standard that I (and a scant few others here) demand.

PJ, think of supporting those who do want a release as doing a good deed for someone who doesn't really deserve it. Free karma points!

I don't wanna preach to the choir, I wanna win converts here. ;)
More figures in it for me in the long run. :D

-PJ

the scarecrow
08-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Well you know he had these outrageous issues with such paltry details like. . .oh, I dunno. . .1/2 hearted writing, dialogue, (flat) characterization, poor pacing, bad editing, cheap sets, cheap costumes, and cheap guest-stars. -PJ

Awe come on, who would have known the Star Wars theme had lyrics? :p

Liiiifffffe DAAAAYyyyy

classic

MikePrime
08-24-2005, 05:17 PM
The DIC G.I. Joe mini-series is the only one that should be on DVD. It was well animated and had a good story.

The actual Joe series that they produced should be destroyed. Why would anyone want a series from the dark last days of G.I. Joe? Ironic since so many of the toys had such bright colors.

Kann
08-24-2005, 07:04 PM
The DIC G.I. Joe mini-series is the only one that should be on DVD. It was well animated and had a good story.

The actual Joe series that they produced should be destroyed. Why would anyone want a series from the dark last days of G.I. Joe? Ironic since so many of the toys had such bright colors.

Yeah, bright colors are rally nice.:)

Richard J.
08-25-2005, 06:09 AM
Hopefully, Sigma-Six will deliver the high standard that I (and a scant few others here) demand.

-PJ
I demand that same quality PJ. The DIC series came about out of desperation and I cut it more slack because of that. This new series is supposed to be high quality. It's supposed to be a new beginning.

If it isn't, I'll be peeved.

And somewhere down the road I'll probably end up liking it. Or at least accepting it.

I can totally understand your reservations about the DIC. And believe me, I would not want DIC to ever do another series. Ever.

I don't know, call me crazy, but I can understand the desire to have the episodes. I want them for myself.

Richard J.

GothicZanya
08-25-2005, 11:10 AM
I demand that same quality PJ. The DIC series came about out of desperation and I cut it more slack because of that. This new series is supposed to be high quality. It's supposed to be a new beginning.

If it isn't, I'll be peeved.

And somewhere down the road I'll probably end up liking it. Or at least accepting it.

I can totally understand your reservations about the DIC. And believe me, I would not want DIC to ever do another series. Ever.

I don't know, call me crazy, but I can understand the desire to have the episodes. I want them for myself.

Richard J.

just because dic made those gijoe cartoons does not mean it can't be on dvd.

they are gijoe characters in it!

general hawk, scarlett, stalker, snake eyes, rock n roll, grunt, lady jaye, flint, storm shadow, roadblock, duke, cobra commander, destro, baroness, zarana, copperhead.

whole a lot of classic characters of the 1990s

the vehicles of the 1988 to 1992 are there.

you gotta love to see the thunderclap with longe range, the stealth fighter is in there! you gotta love the characters. the cartoon is not that bad. the reason why it must be on dvd so I can see the joes and cobra based on the toyline from 1988-1992 on there.

did you already write to dic that it must be on dvd?

Richard J.
08-27-2005, 04:11 AM
did you already write to dic that it must be on dvd?
Sent them an e-mail. I'll go through the trouble of writing a letter over the weekend.

Maybe. I'm a hopeless procrastinator. I'm always falling behind.

If nothing else, I want to see the anti-drug special they did put out on DVD. I have been wanting to see that thing again for years!

Richard J.