Was this the right thing to do [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Was this the right thing to do

carnage717
08-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Ok, here the deal. I was selling a Night Striker on Ebay tonight. The high bidder put a bid in for $150 3 or 4 days ago because he really wanted to win the auction. Well heres the problem, at the very last second it seems that a new ebay user also put in a bid for $150 thinking that would be enough to win the auction. The first bidder one because he was the first to put in a bid of $150. Now I know from experience that theres no way someone is willing to pay $150 for an incomplete Night Striker. So as soon as the auction ended I immeidatly contacted the second bidder that bid at the last second. They messaged me back saying that they never really intended to pay $150 that they only wanted to pay around $65, the confirmed that fact that they had indeed put a large bid in thinking they would win the item but that it wouldnt go near $150. Based on this I just sent an email to the Winning bidder informing him of the situation. I told him that I would only hold him responsible for $65 since that is what the other bidder would have paid for the Item. Was this the right thing to do and does it sound like a reasonable soloution. Ive been in a similar situation where I bid on something was extremely over priced and the seller cut me a sililar break. Let me know what you think.

Brad

CGC
08-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Well, it was probably the right thing to do, but who knows if the winning bidder will believe you. He may assume that you just jacked that bid with a bot account, & that you are now pretending to sympathize.

I think you did the right thing, but unfortunately, sometimes the right thing can be a hassle. :(

Good luck.

carnage717
08-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Yeah it is hassle. It almost makes me want to go back not selling stuff in the auction format. I normally only list stuff in my ebay store and sell it that way because I dont like dealing with all the whiners out there who email me because someone sniped them on one of my auctions. Ive had sever people do this and leaves a bad taste in your mouth for the whole auction thing. I wouldnt even be listing this stuff in the auction section if I didnt need the room, Ive been buying stuff like crazy the last few months and boxes keep stacking up. So I really needed to get rid of some my extra big items. Thankfully though after this next week all my Large stuff should be gone through auctions and I can just go back to the ebay store listing.

Brad

Obiwanjacoby
08-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Hopefully this doesn't set a precedent for future transactions. The bid is your word of honor, and the expectation to honor it should run both ways.

-PJ

Patrick A. Riley
08-21-2005, 09:07 PM
An honest thing to do. The winner also had a $60.00 bid, so $65 is fair.

Best thing would have been not to contact the second bidder at all, unless the winner suspected something fishy and contacted you first

The winner is a newbie and probably doesn't know about "bots" or shill bidding, but might think something is up now as if you were a shill bidder

But since you were on the other side before as a buyer and you benefited, you did right by returning the favor as a seller

MARSagent
08-22-2005, 07:11 AM
I see way to much writing for something that is a simple answer.

You own it. You sell it your way. Enough said.