uuummm....What does Sigma 6 MEAN? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : uuummm....What does Sigma 6 MEAN?

yojoebro82
08-23-2005, 11:49 AM
I mean, I KNOW it's the title of the new toy line and cartoon, but WHY is it called Sigma 6? What IS Sigma 6? A code name for something or someone?

Has this question been answered and I don't know about it?

johnlogic
08-23-2005, 05:09 PM
the six stands for the amount of time in months it will take to for the toys to hit the discount bin.

Clutch II
08-23-2005, 05:13 PM
going by Greek knowledge it means group of 6

joeboy75
08-23-2005, 05:15 PM
I thought it had something to do with the new format, aren't the figs 6 inches tall?

CGC
08-23-2005, 05:17 PM
I thought it had something to do with the new format, aren't the figs 6 inches tall?
Nope, eight.

Clutch II
08-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Nope, eight.

yup 8" too big for 3 3/4" items and too small for 12" items :p

roboticplanet
08-23-2005, 11:10 PM
I have no idea, so how's this:

in math, sigma notation describes the sum of values over a range for a given expression. So...no matter the range (say 1 to 100) the expression adds to (has a limit of) 6.

....I took a crazy hard math class this summer and I'm still deprogramming myself, so I hope I didn't lose anyone there. :)

And since people commonly rate things out of 10, Sigma 6 gets a 6 out of 10....naturally RAH gets a 10. :)

sinnister
08-23-2005, 11:15 PM
I dont really know anything about sigma 6 but I thought it had something to do with there being a joe team made up of 6 guys or something.

Clutch II
08-23-2005, 11:17 PM
actually the whole thing is a rip off of Clancy's Rainbow 6 series.

danielmd06
08-23-2005, 11:42 PM
After reading Clancy's novel I thought that Rainbow Six was loosely based on the Navy's Seal Team Six. I don't know about the Sigma Joes, but when Seal Team Six was formed there were only two other operational Seal Teams - Team One (West Coast) and Team Two (East Coast). The "Six" was because there were already six platoons of SEALS slotted for the Command that had received CT training. Plus, the number was purposefully meant to throw off Soviet spy networks into suspecting that there were five other Teams when there were in fact only two - and they would fear the unknown.

Probably has nothing to do with Sigma Six...but you never know.

yo-man2
08-24-2005, 12:07 AM
ah.......i've said it before, my money's on sigma is the new organization or head of an organization that is running the team of joes......6 sent per missions

like sigma is the charlie of charlie's angels

Obiwanjacoby
08-24-2005, 01:42 AM
After reading Clancy's novel I thought that Rainbow Six was loosely based on the Navy's Seal Team Six.

The "Six" in Rainbow Six stood for John Clark, the XO of the special unit. But that was easy to miss.

-PJ

danielmd06
08-24-2005, 06:21 AM
The "Six" in Rainbow Six stood for John Clark, the XO of the special unit. But that was easy to miss.

-PJ

Right...sort of.

The title can refer to the commanding officer of the unit as well as the unit itself. Clark wasn't the executive officer (XO), he was the commanding officer (CO). The term "Seal Six" can also be used in reference to the commanding officer of Seal Team Six.

And like I said before, I doubt that this is the actual origin of "Sigma Six." It just sounded similar. Plus, why not homage one of the elite 1980's counterterror teams that GI Joe derived some of its roots from (other than Delta Force)?

Obiwanjacoby
08-24-2005, 08:50 AM
Right...sort of.

The title can refer to the commanding officer of the unit as well as the unit itself. Clark wasn't the executive officer (XO), he was the commanding officer (CO).

Thanks, sorry. . .I always get 'em mixed up. :o

-PJ

heavy_water
08-24-2005, 01:02 PM
It's interesting that they called it Sigma Six. Many companies (especially GE, which pioneered the concept) refer to "Six Sigma" as a quality control method.

http://www.adamssixsigma.com/Glossary_of_terms/what_is_six_sigma.htm

In statistical terms, a process operating at Six Sigma has no more than 3.4 defects per million pieces.

Making Snake Eyes look like a robot = first defect
Giving Duke a bright blue "aim for me" vest = second defect

1.4 defects left to go.

mizak23
08-24-2005, 01:12 PM
I bud of mine if a huge Pink Floyd fan and mentioned Sigma 6 like a week after Hasbro made the announcment. I asked him about it, apparently it was an alternate name or something like that.

Patrick A. Riley
08-24-2005, 01:19 PM
SIGMA:

Soliders
In
Gay
Military
Attire

;)

zartan74
08-24-2005, 01:26 PM
LOL.........Nobody knows what it means.........LOL

You would think hasbro would of said. Then again I didn't pay to much attention to Sigma Six. I like the R.A.H. from 80's and 90's.

Tom................