Just watched Sigma 6 [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Just watched Sigma 6

SharpShot
08-27-2005, 10:57 AM
I thought the story was decent even if the dialogue was awkward.

I won't say much about the animation, just that it's definitely anime.

I liked the way they are using a wide variety of vehicles.

I'm not impressed with some of the characters, but at least they're incorporating characters that I didn't expect to see.

Is Tunnel Rat the new Shipwreck?

Overall I give the show a B. I guess I'll be watching again.

Were's CC?

CGC
08-27-2005, 11:44 AM
snip...

Were's CC?
In one of the first scenes, they said he was captured 6 months ago, but they didn't go into any details.

I also like seeing the variety of vehicles - I like how they had that mech pop out of the Rhino. We saw alot of the dtc vehicles that have been released or announced so far, as well as several from VvsV.

As far as anime goes, this really wasn't bad at all, most of it was good. Some of the movement was funny, and Scarlett & the Baroness definately had the 8-year-old faces that most anime girls/women seem to get, but otherwise I thought it was good.

Clutch II
08-27-2005, 12:03 PM
well as it goes G.I.Joe stretched the bounds of realism but still kept it mainly believable but this show....it was beyond believable by a very wide margin(c,mon an invisibility cloak:eek: ),also whats up Cobra only has 4 real humans in their army now?and evidently Sigma 6 is a black ops deal and is deep undercover and doesn't exist,what has happened ot the honest good guys beloved by their country?they have been turned into a rainbow 6 team or seal team 6(your choice),i'm sorry but only if i'm bored and nothing else is on will i ever watch that show again,as it goes i enjoyed the TMNT show after it more :p .

oh there was one thing i did like and that was the Ninja B.A.T.s wouldn't mind getting some of those :D

yojoeshow
08-27-2005, 12:32 PM
I actually got the chance to watch the show this morning. Overall the show is okay. I'm not going to lie to you, I'm not an anime fan so the art and some of the concepts (Tunnel Rat inching around like a worm and then eating one, SE basicly having the ability to fly) weren't very impressive. I hope Cobra has viper or infantry armies in the fture, the BAT thing will get old real quick. The Cobra sub at the end was really cool and made up for the cobra fortress of just BATs. I also like GIJoes new base. I'll be watching the next episode.

the scarecrow
08-27-2005, 12:50 PM
S6 is a decent show. The animation is light years ahead of the original Sunbow. Although, as mentioned, the dialogue was abrupt and awkward. Take the good with the bad. I asked this question in a chat, is S6 part of VvV continuity? If it is, will we see Robot Rebellion?

Kann
08-27-2005, 01:03 PM
I missed it :(

fryinpan1
08-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Did anyone else experience audio problems? Some of the dialogue seemed muted and it did not seem intentional. I agree that the Tunnel Rat concept and Snake Eyes "flying" were both odd.

Overall, I enjoyed the show and I will watch it again. Visually, the show was very impressive. I think it would look even better in a widescreen format.

Icebreaker
08-27-2005, 01:55 PM
well as it goes G.I.Joe stretched the bounds of realism but still kept it mainly believable but this show....it was beyond believable by a very wide margin(c,mon an invisibility cloak:eek: ),.... :D

Actually there is a fabric that has been under development in Japan for over two years now that can actually make a person invisible. There's no stretch of realism here--it's not far away.

http://www.rednova.com/news/technology/2947/japanese_develop_invisible_coat/

It's crazy. There's also a vehicle development thing for LAV's doing something similar.

Icebreaker
08-27-2005, 02:08 PM
I rather enjoyed the sneak preview. The "anime" influence isn't THAT strong. The only thing I can gripe about visually is how the ninjas run. Even the ninja bats--are they trying to fly? lol. It's the modern style, every cartoon has it, it cannot NOT be used at all. It's how it is, but then Japan has (for decades) been HUGE on influencing a lot of pop culture in the U.S., and this is just a small carry over influence. TMNT have it, too.

Vehicle action was sweet, how can you not dig how Scarlett's Ice Sabre rolled? AND, if the defense mech could actually move that well in toy form--I would not have gotten rid of mine :). AND, I'm officially sold on the Rhino. A new character, Long range, how cool is that? (reminds me of harpoon, a little)

Sigma 6 seems to be the new small force to combat cobra. AND, that's the whole purpose of the new team--Defeat Cobra. It's a little one sided there, but, comparing it to the cartoon competition I think it's going to work well.

Does anyone else think that Heavy Duty seems just like Freight? Not a big deal, just wondering. And what's with the Frying pan reference? Is the Roadblock "cousin" connection being kept there (I seem to remember that mentioned somewhere around Spytroops time) ?

Everyone looks cool, voices are very decent. I had no problem with the dialogue, or pace. I think it all fit very well for the new action team.

Scarlett is second is command now? That's interesting, and cool, imo.

Overall, I'm pleased, it looks like a great modern take on GIJOE.

Kann
08-27-2005, 03:48 PM
I missed it :( Do you guys know if there is some site to see what I missed. Thanks:)

The MASS Device
08-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Of course this is not the GI Joe I grew up with, but I like it. I'm a fan of some anime (Cowboy Bebop and Berserk are the best shows I've seen). I think they have done a great job re-inventing GI Joe vs Cobra for today's kids with this cartoon. Now I just wish they had kept the 3 3/4" format for toys to go with this. The vehicles were some of the best parts of the show and they won't fit with the 8" figs at all. Oh well.

The rolling Ice Sabre was very well done. They did a great job animating the action overall -- very entertaining.

[SPOILERS WARNING]

Of course, the plot has holes. All kids shows do. I watch the old Transformers cartoons I loved as a kid and wonder why the gargantuan plot holes didn't bother me back then like they do now. I can overlook that Destro built a huge castle and rocket to try to kill one man, Duke, and that instead of just blowing him up right away, he had to have a rocket that would soar miles into the sky and then blow up, giving Duke time to escape.

I applaud the new show. Especially after watching the last two computer animated "movies" they have put out for Spytroops and Valor vs Venom. This is a huge step up.

Richard J.
08-28-2005, 03:27 AM
On a scale of 1 to 10, I think I'll give this particular episode a 7. There were some problems with it, especially with the ninjas.

So they can run at the speed of vehicles and, aparently, survive in what's likely sub-zero weather. Just a little too over the top for me. Of course, I've always had some problems with the ninjas in GI Joe.

I thought Destro looked ten times better in Sigma Six than he did in the CGI movies. I liked most everyone's look. Wish they hadn't changed Hi-Tech's hair from blonde to red, but I suppose that's just a tiny thing. I had no problem with how Scarlet or the other ladies looked. Anime is becoming my friend. :D

Some of the dialogue was stiff and some of it was strange. But I think that will improve with future seasons. It may even improve as this season goes.

I truly hope that there will be more human Cobra troops as time goes on. Vast armies of BATs are okay, but they're also boring.

Pacing was a little fast, but the show's very short and they had a lot of introductions to go through.

The best parts: seeing great vehicles and battles, the whole scene of Destro and the Baroness playing chess, Scarlett's voice actually having a mild southern accent (unless I'm hearing things), and the fact that the plot actually seems like something Cobra would do. It was a display of Cobra's strength and resources.

Over all, I'm very happy with this.

Except the opening theme. I really hated the opening theme.

I wish Hasbro would make a second series just for us older collectors. Maybe have another Anime studio produce it. A darker series with longer plot arcs.

My 2 cents worth.

Richard J.

Blight
08-28-2005, 05:37 AM
This series is going to ROCK I just know it. I'm lost for words I'm so blown away by what I saw today, this show is just so cool. Sure stuff like the voice acting and plot could use a little work but I'll gladly trade that for the stellar work GONZO did on this show.
Saturdays just became my favorite day of the week.

CGC
08-28-2005, 11:43 AM
It really only left me scratching my head over one point. What was with the big base or fortress at the end that rose up through the ice? It rose, Destro said something or other over an outdoor p.a. system, then the whole thing sank again. Seems like an awful lot of effort just to say something to somebody.

Snake Eyes
08-28-2005, 11:51 AM
icebreaker I agree with a lot of what you said. I also taped it because I was at work from 7:30AM to 7:30PM so I had to come home and watch it. I really liked it. I knew it was going to be a lot different from the Joes that I grew up watching so I really kept an open mind to it. I think that it will be a good show but it really is a different era of Joes. But I still like it. The only thing I had a problem with just a little was the way the Ninjas ran. But it wasn't a biggie that I cared about. I can get used to that. I reallllllly like Scarlett.:o :D .... ne other thing I didn't kinda like was that Cobras main units are robots? What happened to those cool soldiers that they used to have that had those blue suits and black like mouth and nose mask things? ... but that is when I remember this is different.......I also liked the little touch of anime being put in.

I would also this two thumbs up as well and I think I have a new show to watch and tape. I am really excited about the show and can't wait for the next episode.... YO JOE!

heavy_water
08-28-2005, 12:01 PM
I live in Atlanta and I couldn't find it. TiVo also couldn't. I think I have to wait until Sept 10.

Dreadnok4life
08-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Okay.. Let me begin by saying I'm not a cartoon or anime guy. I could care less about them. And I'm an older Joe collector. So obviously Sigma Six isn't meant for me. So with that in mind, here is my review.

I watched about half of Sigma Six and then turned it off. I'll finish watching it today. I thought the animation was average. I don't like the fact that they made some characters look like they are 8 years old. Especially Scarlett. It just doesn't work for me at all. Either the characters are supposed to be adults, or not. You can't have it both ways. Yes I know that's what anime is all about. So I guess I don't like anime.

What have they done to Tunnel Rat for chrissakes? They have turned him into a circus geek. Eating bugs? How incredibly stupid. He's a buffoon now. A bug eating wierdo.

I was glad to see Snake Eyes, Jinx and Kamakura in the mix. That was until I found out they can literally run at hundreds of miles per hour while posing like they are about to be crucified. Plus they don't get winded. What the heck is that all about?

Cobra is now all robots except for a few humans. I guess the writers were a little too into Battlestar Gallatica. And the BATs shoot what looked like pink lasers. Yippee!

That is when I turned it off..

This cartoon is obviously aimed at young children. I'm thinking maybe 5 or 6 years old. Kids who are at an age where all they care about is bright colors and people running around shooting neon colored lasers at each other. I hope it does well because maybe it will help the 3 3/4 line. But I can't see me watching it every week.

As for the Valor Vs. Venom computer animated movie, I thought it was far superior to Sigma Six. I enjoyed the animation and the story was more enjoyable and interesting. It's unfortunate that we won't be seeing more episodes in that format.

Dreadnok4life
08-28-2005, 03:14 PM
It really only left me scratching my head over one point. What was with the big base or fortress at the end that rose up through the ice? It rose, Destro said something or other over an outdoor p.a. system, then the whole thing sank again. Seems like an awful lot of effort just to say something to somebody.

ROTFLMAO. I haven't finished watching it yet. That sounds ridiculous. Almost like a Monty Python thing.

Dreadnok4life
08-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Oh my.. I forgot about the theme song. The worst theme song of all time.

carnage717
08-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Do you guys know if there is some site to see what I missed. Thanks:)

I still it saved on my TIVO. If you want I can burn a copy of it to a DVD and mail it to you. All I ask is that you pay the $1.25 to ship it to you. Just PM if youre interested. As for the cartoon I liked it and will definately leave my TIVO Season record all the new shows. Visually it looked great and like the others have said I like the use of the Vehciles. I will definately be getting the Rhino now once its realeased. The only thing I thought was out of place was when the Snake Eyes, Kamakura and Jinx were running. It jus seemend a little unrealistic but I know Anime has been doing stuff like this for awhile so just let it go at that. Other wise I like the show, I could even go for some 3 3/4" Sigma Figures, especially Destro and Baroness.

Brad

carnage717
08-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Oh my.. I forgot about the theme song. The worst theme song of all time.

I listend to about the first 10 seconds of the theme song then hit my TIVO Fast Forward button and skipped through the rest. Ten seconds in was all I could take, to bad you couldnt take the orignaly theme song and just dub it in over the one the play. At least the new Transformers theme song has some resemblance to the original them song.

Brad

Icebreaker
08-28-2005, 04:42 PM

Big Cobra Submarine. I think the Joes thwarted Destro's plan in the arctic, and he broke it up through the ice as a last effort at the Joes annihilation. Of course, a big submarine takes some time to break through the ice and the Joes are able to easily move out of the way. (there's some realism--if it were unreal, the sub would have been able to go zig-zagging through thick solid ice like a butter-knife, running the Joes down. Now that would have been over the top!)

Destro, angry over his fouled plans, warns the Joes of the power of Cobra. And he says it elegantly, as not to sound angry. Cobra got the last word in, like usual, even though the plans were thwarted. This sub must not have any outer deck weapons yet, either. I expected it to start shooting a beam like the Rhino's chopper!

Kann
08-28-2005, 05:06 PM
I still it saved on my TIVO. If you want I can burn a copy of it to a DVD and mail it to you. All I ask is that you pay the $1.25 to ship it to you. Just PM if youre interested.

Just sent a PM.:)

CGC
08-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Big Cobra Submarine.
...snip

Ok. That does make some sense. It still seemed like an exceptionaly large sub, but I suppose there's nothing wrong with that in a cartoon. ;)

Redmao
08-29-2005, 06:03 AM
I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I mean everything was kinda cool, but something kept bothering me, but I can't put my finger on it. Was it the comical duo of Heavy Duty and Tunnel rat? Was it because Scarlet looked so young? Maybe it was High Tech wearing a cloaking device in his own base...

Like it was said before, I'm not part of the targeted audience so maybe I should accept the fact that I'm old hehe.

Seeing the vehicule action made me wish that Sigma six would be 3 3/4 as well. Its the same vehicules!!! So make anime versions of the characters in the size we already have!!!

I'll watch it and we'll see from there.

whitedalek
08-29-2005, 11:29 AM
I thought it was ok. It wasn't my GI Joe, but I can live with it. The animation was nice and I liked the vehicles. Tunnel Rat creeps me out with his eyes that never open. I don't like the ninja garbage (but I never liked the ninja stuff before). My main gripe is that they don't fight for America, but it seems that they serve the UN as that there were no American flags, only UN ones. I give it a C.

Obiwanjacoby
08-30-2005, 05:23 AM
I expected it to start shooting a beam like the Rhino's chopper!

Yeah! That scene BLEW MY FREAKIN' MIND MAN!!!

When I saw that. . .I suddenly had an anime epiphany of a Matsumoto-styled Anthony "Flash" Gambello equipped with a Kaneda laser rifle!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

-PJ

Obiwanjacoby
08-30-2005, 05:25 AM
I thought it was ok. It wasn't my GI Joe, but I can live with it. The animation was nice and I liked the vehicles. Tunnel Rat creeps me out with his eyes that never open.

That's the way the Japanese draw people of Chinese descent.

My main gripe is that they don't fight for America, but it seems that they serve the UN as that there were no American flags, only UN ones. I give it a C.

It certainly looked like a UN flag, didn't it?

-PJ

Angry Beef
08-31-2005, 06:18 PM
Here's where I think Sigma Six is going to shine over the Sunbow toon.

Vehicles. W'eve already gotten a taste of what they are going to do with vehicle battles. And it was deliciousss.... Sorry slipped into Cobra Commander there.

Can you point out any exciting scene from Sunbow that relied on the vehicles?
Mostly it was suff like STUNS driving around in circles or stuff just blowing up.

Okay now thinking about it there are some good vehicle battles in Sunbow.... Cobra CLAWS Are Coming to Town and the one where Dial-tone, Life-line and Shipwreck get promoted.... but I still think Sigma Six will deliever more excitement that way.

Clutch II
08-31-2005, 07:42 PM
i fear big vehicle battles will be a thing of the past and you'll see more people battling B.A.T.'s :p

Arashikage_Tengu
09-01-2005, 12:29 AM
My two sons, 5 and 3, loved it. I recorded it, and they watched it three more times.

I, however, am sorely miffed. I fell asleep 5-10 minutes into the original airing. Mind you, I had been awake since 6 am the previous morning, though. Later, when I woke up, I watched it one time with my sons and my wife. She didn't like it, either.
Both she and I would have preferred a CGI animated cartoon. Definitely !!!
Tunnel Rat ??? WTF ??? Brown hair and eating bugs?
I figured they'd make the Snake-Eyes and the other Ninjas run in that awkward Japanese anime ninja style of running, and I dislike it.
Too many B.A.T.S., and they were calling some of the B.A.T.S. "Vipers"? Not enough human COBRA soldiers.
Still don't know for sure what "Sigma 6" is supposed to stand for. There were nine Joes:

Duke
Snake-Eyes
Scarlet
Kamakura
Jinx
Heavy Duty
Tunnel Rat
Hi-Tech
Long Range

Oh, well. At least Duke didn't looke like this:

http://img85.exs.cx/img85/6280/YuGIJoe.jpg

EagleEyeJoe
09-01-2005, 03:24 PM
Sigma Six is a turn around of the business term "six sigma" - meant to convey the changing of direction and the emphasis on quality.

Goldbug
09-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Sigma Six is a turn around of the business term "six sigma" - meant to convey the changing of direction and the emphasis on quality.

I believe there is also a company named that.

Well i also just watched it & thought I was watching some Star Wars show.
Those were ninja? I thought they were Jedi.
B.A.T.s coming out of the fortress very reminiscent of the Battle of Naboo scene when the Battle Droids were released.
Apparently Scarlett's little sister has taken her place. And those ear rings! :rolleyes: The anime wasn't as obvious with Jinx.

I'm sorry but I wish it to fail horribly.

nikke
09-02-2005, 09:59 PM
People I need a little help catching up here! Only today did I decide to see what this Sigma 6 is all about. I watched the trailer and I loved it. I like anime quit a bid. As a matter of fact I all ways thought that GIJOE would look good in an anime syle animation. It's the toy line that I am not too sure about...8" tall....huh? It would have been good indeed to keep it 3 3/4". However at this scale they woudn't have been able to give the figures that anime look.

Now I ask you, what is DTC? (by the way). Man this really sucks! I can't get any of the new figure 3 and 6 packs down here OFCOURSE!! And I can't get the 4KidsTV channel here....OFCOURSE NOT!! I mean , why should I :mad:

....sigh....Sorry for my complaining....

Is there a link or something where I might be able to download the Sigma 6 show???:confused: Are the new Sigma 6 Toys going to be available internationaly?

CGC
09-02-2005, 10:06 PM
snip...

Now I ask you, what is DTC? (by the way). Man this really sucks! I can't get any of the new figure 3 and 6 packs down here OFCOURSE!! And I can't get the 4KidsTV channel here....OFCOURSE NOT!! I mean , why should I :mad:

...snip

DTC is Direct To Consumer
This thread (http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=26169) lists some places you can probably get the dtc releases internationally.

I haven't seen the whole thing anywhere online yet, but I think that a few board members have it. I copied it onto a dvd, but my reception (antenna - no cable tv) was fuzzy that day, so it's not really worth converting.

Obiwanjacoby
09-03-2005, 05:28 AM

Got proof from a producer's interview. . .something? Anything???

Gotta love those rumors.

-PJ

nikke
09-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Found it!!

go to www.mininova.org search for sigma 6