Goodbye.... [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Goodbye....

MacDowin
08-30-2005, 04:47 PM
I have loved Yo Joe! since I was brought on in 2000 by Eugene. I dedicated a lot to it since G.I.Joe is my one and only hooby. It was a dream come true to try and lead the site and bring new ideas and maintain old ideals, but alas I have failed. The people who have bought a wonderful site (not built it with their blood, sweat, and tears) have decided that I am not the right person for the job. Maybe some of you secretly agree or don't. It doesn't really matter now as it is all over now. Its been very stressful and very fun. I guess I have to feel personally vindicated as while maybe some new additions I made some people didn't like, but in talking to Eugene, I was going in the exact same direction as he was before he left. That makes me happy as I wanted to maintain the the concept of Yo Joe! that he had. I will miss this place as I have called it home for almost 6 years now. I have enjoyed working with you all and have enjoyed the hours that some of of us would sit and talk.

MacDowin signing off.............

Clutch II
08-30-2005, 04:54 PM
though i have only been on this site but a wee bit and i don't know you that much i am sure you shall be missed for the time and effort you have put into this site and i wish you well in any endeavor you wish to persue.

sinnister
08-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Real sad to see you go Devon.

CGC
08-30-2005, 05:03 PM
You've definately made noticable changes since you've been here - and for the better ;)

We talked, briefly, at the start of this years con. You mentioned several specifics you wanted pics of for the board, and added that taking pics of everything else would also be good :eek: - hopefully I didn't let you down.

You will be missed. Hopefully you aren't leaving with any bad feelings toward anybody here, I'm sure we'd all like to see you popping in now & again as a member. Good luck with everything!

Richard J.
08-30-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving us. Personally, I think you did a fine job of keeping things together.

Don't be a stranger and hope that you're not leaving with any hard feelings.

Richard J.

Deadshot
08-30-2005, 05:22 PM
sad day indeed. Though I would like to express my thanks for all that you have done, and wish you good luck.

The Faceless Master
08-30-2005, 05:23 PM
this is certainly a shocker
first Jeff steps down, then now Devon is leaving... who is next? :confused:

we never interacted or anything, but i certainly wish you the best - Macdowin

Angry Beef
08-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Wow.. Sorry to see you go.

Is there anyway to learn the background of what brought all this on?

crimson
08-30-2005, 05:50 PM
One word: thanks!

dmooretoys
08-30-2005, 10:44 PM
I just want to say publicly that Devon has been a good person to work for and I am sorry to see him go. Not only has he always been available when I had a question about adding something to the archives, but he also has been very receptive to my ideas (like adding the cardback archive some collectors were asking for). In fact he was the one who created the shell for the cardback archive--if it was up to me we wouldn't even have one because I'm really not all that computer-savvy.

I know Devon will stay active in the G.I. Joe community. In fact, we may end up working together again very soon. Stranger things have happened.

Good luck with everything, my friend.

Dan

thunt4
08-30-2005, 10:47 PM
This is really pathetic that someone complained about you. First off you volunteer for this and you are not payed. I know sometimes we all make suggestions for the site and some happen faster than others but you made a ton of changes to the site some of which I have waited since the beginning to see happen. Like the cardback archive I got to add my passion of mail ins and redbacks to.Every time I sent in pics in the past nothing ever happened and this time every submission was added and in very fast time. I am proud to say I finally got to submit a ton of items not pictured on yojoe. I am really shocked and kinda annoyed that someone didn't think you were the right person for the job. I mean you guys keep up on all the new submissions and update the old stuff. The new submissions alone are overwhelming and to still be able to update the old is impressive. In a fictional world we could snap our fingers and everything would happen but most of us realize nothing happens overnight and it takes a lot of time.I hope you still hang around to enjoy the joes but i am sure this has been a big shock and kinda hard to take. I know I would be upset to say the least. I want to say thank you for making a lot of ideas become a reality and I hope you still stay around to chat.

thunt4
08-30-2005, 10:48 PM
oh ya one thing that annoyed me is this is not a 5 star thread. This is retarded because in my opinion he did a very fine job!!!

AVAC
08-30-2005, 11:01 PM
Sorry to see you go. It is always hard for members to see/hear of changes without knowing exactly what happened. Frankly it really isn't any of our business knowing the why and how even if it drives us a bit crazy. My hope is that this is good for you and that you stay active in the community. Best of luck.

drummer1279
08-30-2005, 11:15 PM
In the last five years or so that I've been checking out Yojoe.com, I've seen nothing but improvements. The new forum, updated (and very detailed) archive's, New's, ect. I could go on, but you get the idea. This is the best Joe sight I've seen, and too often the people that helped build this sight are forgotten. I thank you for all the hard work put into this site. Although often you are behind the scenes and don't post often, I'm sure a lot of time was involved. Yojoe would not be what it is today without those people, and I thank them. Thank you once again for all you have done for the Joe communtity, and I wish you well in the future. I too, hope you will be around as a regular "Joe".

Patrick A. Riley
08-31-2005, 09:10 AM
You did great work here and a lot of people appreciate it. Never forget that
Thanks!

Druss
08-31-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm sorry to see this happen and thanks for all the hard work you put into the site!

Mark W. Bellomo
08-31-2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks for all the hard work over the years! It DID NOT go unappreciated!!!

-- MWB

GBPackRat
08-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Wow,

Didn't see that one coming...

I didn't have any problems with you. In fact, I don't even think you were around long enough to get that much hate that people would want to remove you...

Seems really sudden and I don't believe you had a reasonible amount of time to do what you set out to do.

Tanner

danielmd06
08-31-2005, 12:49 PM
I was grateful for the chances to add pictures to the archives. I think you did a fine job. Hope to see you posting.

Thank you.

code red shockwave
08-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Thanks and good luck in your endeavors.

Mercer
08-31-2005, 02:48 PM
thanks for all your work, hope you still keep collecting

82to87Joes
08-31-2005, 04:59 PM
so who owns the site anyways?

dmooretoys
08-31-2005, 05:57 PM
so who owns the site anyways?
Action Online. The copyright information is located at the bottom of the screen.

Dan

MacDowin
08-31-2005, 06:28 PM
I want to make things clear here because I have gotten a bunch of IMs a couple PMs...... am not leaving of my own free will, I was fired. I had a few awesome things about to launch and well, they had horrible timing...... that would suck to me

....but no worries, they still want me to work for free....

--
MacDowin
"Ya ain't seen nothin' yet!!!"

Ann G
08-31-2005, 07:20 PM
You will be missed and your work is not unnoticed, Devon. Truley a loss for yojoe.

bluebikerboy1
08-31-2005, 09:05 PM
you were fired?

yeah that makes a lot of sense super mods (i guess thats what you call the owners). guy busts his *** and does a lot of good on this site. works for nothing. then you fire him cause of a couple complaints.

there has to be some politics in place here cause that makes no sense.

im sorry to see you go. weve chated briefly a few times on the chat room and ive seen and appriciated the work youve thrown in the site. im sorry to see you go.

Snake-eyes01
09-01-2005, 12:54 AM
Devon, your work was much appreciated, you will be missed! I appreciate you giving me the chance to be a Mod here on the boards, I was honored! Takecare of yourself & I wish you the BEST in all you do.

Bong Viper
09-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Although I'm a "newb" here on YoJoe, and have never had the priveledge to talk to you either in person or electronically, I want to say thank you for all the hard work you've poured into this page. If it weren't for you & the other great contributors to this page, many of us would never know ALOT of what we know now (and knowing is half the battle).

There are plenty of Joe boards out there that could use someone with amazing talent such as yours. It's a real shame that the Owners if this page seem to feel differently.

If there's anything I can personally do to "help a brother out" (i.e. - Pack of smokes, MOC PDD, etc) let me know man!

My hat is off to you, and I wish you nothing but the best of luck & health!

Erick

Deadman2099
09-01-2005, 03:43 PM
well... crap.

Mac, thanks for all the hard work on the site. Also, thanks for being a cool guy to talk to in the chat room :)

i'm just wondering if the person who made this decision also "helped" hasbro create neat neon figures in the 90's...............

Recondo
09-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Mac.. we've never been super close or anything, but I always admired you & your work man. I've been around quite a while now & when I think about YoJoe, the names that come into my head are Eugene, Jeff Bohn, you, & only a couple others. This will never change bro. :)

If you won't be around here much, I hope you'll still check in at places like JoeSightings.com and/or JoeBattleLines.com. I'd really hate to see you leave the Joeverse all together bro.

Peace.

NightViperOne
09-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Hey, Mac, sorry to see you getting treated this way. As many others have said, we have never talked, but I have seen the work you have done and admire the way you handled things here. Recently, I have become quite familiar with unfair treatment by a boss (Bong Viper and I have talked about my recent problems often), and I truly feel for you.

I do hope this doesn't stop you collecting, and I am certain that any of the numerous Joe collectors' boards out there would love to have you on board, either to help out, or simply just to be there and be a part of things.

Keep us updated on what's up with you. And as has been said many times... thanks.

-Jim

acmirro
09-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Such a shame, and only weeks before I was going to come back...

Thats ok, Devon. We can still work on that side project, right?

todd_m6d
09-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Hey Mac, sorry to hear about the circumstances of your leaving YoJoe. I've enjoyed many of the new additions to the site and I wish you the best in your future endevors.

Todd

jedisarlaac
09-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Sorry to hear about it. When the people that run sites fall in love with themselves or believe they are God, bad things happen. Its like one day they are a greenshirt, the next day they think they are Gen. Hawk acting as the sentinels of what is right and wrong, good and bad and deciding who can see what. Very sad. Good luck in the future, the Joe Boards are a very big place and you will find another home.

thorn
09-04-2005, 04:00 PM
The people who have bought a wonderful site (not built it with their blood, sweat, and tears) have decided that I am not the right person for the job

Ridiculous! they are wrong.
so sorry to hear this, thaNKS FOR all your hard work!

Robot Rabbit
09-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Wow, I don't visit the site for a week and then all this happens? :(

Devon, you always were outgoing and sincere the few times we got to talk. I'm sorry about all this, and hope that you can focus your energy and ideas towards something that you still enjoy.

Teddy
09-06-2005, 12:54 AM
I cannot say enough or express in words the spirit of excellence that you have brought to this site. I hope to see you pop in every now and then. You will be missed certainly. But as I say,"Once a Joe;always a Joe". I cannot think of anyone else who can better fit that description then you .

Cavalry Man
10-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Sorry to see you get the shaft like that Devon. You've done alot of wonderful things for this site. To see you get fired for whatever reason is idiotic. Thanks for all your hardwork and dedication. It's just one of several things that have happened on this site recently that sometimes make me wonder.

Thanks again man.

JeffreyKabal
10-12-2005, 04:09 AM
To bad to see fine people with love for there hobby and work going away while those ... business people, who only see money stay behind and control this entire website....

imho, start over, make all ur own pictures get deleted as they are yours. I'm sure after the accomplishment of this website you guys can start one of urself.

AlternateUniverse Steeler
10-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Man you were doing amazing here. They hosed you.
Only idiots like that can't see what good you did.
They must be the people that introduced "New Coke" in the 1980s