View Full Version : Can some of the more ebay savvy collectors comment on this?

statesofeuphoria
09-09-2005, 08:13 AM
From what I understand about listing items on ebay, this is a no-no.
look at his shipping description "shipping high to ensure profitability". How can jerks like this be reported?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5998273320

Thank God he has had no takers thusfar...

dockingbay97
09-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Excessive Shipping & Handling

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-shipping.html

You can report all his auctions using the Report link at the bottom of that page.

Druss
09-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Yup its a blatant scam on his part to avoid ebay fee's. The funny thing is he even states in the auction what he's doing while most just list a high fee hoping people won't see it and then get stuck with it at auction close.

dockingbay97
09-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Yup its a blatant scam on his part to avoid ebay fee's. The funny thing is he even states in the auction what he's doing while most just list a high fee hoping people won't see it and then get stuck with it at auction close.

and since he is so dumb about it, if enough people report those auctions, they will get pulled.

I hate sellers like that.

orionlukteel
09-09-2005, 09:36 AM
Just reported 10 of the auctions - keep piling on the reports, you can do up to 10 items at a time.

Sheesh, some people just need to learn what a reserve is, swallow their pride, and eat the cost. And trust that every once in a while, you make more than enough to cover the fees for the last 20 items.

I understand why you'd want to start an item at 99 cents, but trying to make up the difference by gouging on shipping is just stupid.

Snake-eyes01
09-09-2005, 11:37 AM
If he wants to "ensure profitability" why not try a Reserve price OR Buy It Now with ACTUAL shipping costs?? I reported him as well.

GBPackRat
09-09-2005, 11:48 AM
I reported him as well...

Just dumb if you ask me...

Tanner

dockingbay97
09-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Just in case the auction gets pulled soon - we are talking about eBay user dan97gator

thorn
09-09-2005, 04:32 PM
still up so i reprted it also.
i hate people like this- especially since when enough people get away with it, guess what?
ebay raises fees on the honest folks

FireFox91
09-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey, this guy is in Tampa. I should BIN and tell him I am local and will come pick it up so I don't have to pay shipping charges. :) Thing I don't understand is why some people are going crazy over these colored clones. That red one is beyond ugly.

ttfndude
09-09-2005, 07:37 PM
This stuff gets me. I am an ebay seller and I charge actual shipping plus 1.50. This is to counteract the charges ebay and paypal have that i think are a bit high but anyways. I recycle items such as bubble wrap and I ship everything big priority(for the most part) so USPS gives us free supplies so all of that is free. I actually guessstimate shipping most of the time so that everyone can see what they are paying, sometimes it's too low but oh well. If people didn't do what they do I could bring my costs done and that of the buyers. And the only reason I charge the fees is I sell most of my items at 1 dollar or less, I would be loosing money otherwise. Anyways this ges me steamed because I have been taken a couple of times now and you don't want to make them angry cause they will give you negative feedback. This has made it to where I hardly buy anymore from ebay.

Clutch II
09-09-2005, 08:03 PM
usually when i sell items on eBay i will ship it Priority mail from $5-10 which covers cost of shipping,cost of tape(buggers don't give that stuff out anymore),gas and etc.

thewyseone
09-09-2005, 09:56 PM
why cant people just tack on a fair handling fee like $2.00 dollars or less.items i sold last year all had a $1.00 handling fee wich included delivery confirmation, packing material and a trip to the post office(only 2 miles down the road).it also helps just to list items at what you would mininumly like to sell it for.last winter i auctioned a very decent gi joe hammer only missing gas can and anteana.it obly went for 3 bucks,i wanted to cry,but fair is fair and i already had a complete one.

i dont understand when people start an auction at .01.:confused: and have shipping already stated (not outrageouse either).:confused: :confused:

orionlukteel
09-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Update - shipping appears to have been lowered to $8 instead of $13, but the item still sold. He currently has 5 items up, and one of them STILL says "to ensure profitability". Ridiculous.

roboticplanet
09-13-2005, 12:57 PM
And I still reported him for excessive s & h. At $8, I could almost believe he could ask that if it includes Priority with DC & Ins....but for parcel post, I don't think so.

I had I guy selling Joes in my town with the exact same operation about a year ago. And like FireFox mentioned, I asked if I could pick them up to save on shipping. He said no, and the fees are the same. He got reported quickly.

TheReverend
09-13-2005, 02:04 PM
$13.00 seemed pretty bad.

I can see $8.00, maybe the guy has to drive 20 miles one way, in a truck that only gets 5 miles to the gallon to mail his packages. Or maybe he pads the box with gold leaf, or dollar bills, errrr somthing:D

Seriously, If it was something I really wanted I'd pay that for shipping ....heck there are lot of people out there that charge out the nose for shipping...I'm getting used to it...

Anyway I didn't report him and I'm not going to, because frankly I have better things to do :p

Druss
09-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Its really not even excessive s/h thats the problem, he's charging high shipping with low BIN's to avoid ebay fee's.

roboticplanet
09-13-2005, 10:00 PM
I think that's the point of the eBay policy against high shipping. The seller purposely avoids the fees, so now eBay gets stiffed, even though the buyer still gets the item at the normal going price.

Basically eBay doesn't want anyone cheatin' them out of their hard earned money. :rolleyes:

TheReverend
09-13-2005, 11:06 PM
We can, support “tha Man” by starting your auctions high and charging low shipping costs. So eBay gets their cut (which seems to be getting higher, and higher).... Or start auctions low, bulk up the shipping fees to cover your costs, so you can “make some money”. But, get reported for overcharging on shipping by people (although, oddly enough, this guys auctions are sill running after many, apparent, reports... maybe eBay doesn't care...wow...)

No matter what, someone is going to cry about it (Human nature). It could be the buyer that feels putout by paying “too much shipping”, or the seller that “pays too many fees”, or just the person with too much time on their hands...

I try to stick by the old: If I want to bid on it and pay the shipping cost, that's listed, I will. If I don't want to bid on it, and pay the shipping cost listed, I don't bid.. idea – seems to work ok for me, at least ;)

pastelmonster
09-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Although I am new to Ebay I already have my fair share of sellers like this. Always check and confirm on the shipping costs before bidding.

Can you imagine, people demanding US$38 to ship ONE 3-3/4" figure via USPS? This is the cost whereby honest dealers charge for a large boxed vehicle.

Goldbug
09-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Wow just wow! This is related...
I recently sold a MISB re-issue Dirge for $9.99 to someone in China(at least that's what their address is). Now he e-mails me and asks why shipping is so high! I didn't think $13 air mail to China was that bad. :rolleyes:

Crossfire
09-14-2005, 08:22 PM
I contacted this guy about his shipping charges and he asked for my advice on what he should do.

orionlukteel
09-14-2005, 09:54 PM
I contacted this guy about his shipping charges and he asked for my advice on what he should do.

Set a bloody reserve to "ensure profitability".

Asking your advice? He knows what he's doing.

roboticplanet
09-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Tell him to offer free shipping so his things will sell faster. :)

pastelmonster
09-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Now he e-mails me and asks why shipping is so high! I didn't think $13 air mail to China was that bad. :rolleyes:

No I think that's really reasonable for airmail actually. I don't understand why collectors in China would want to buy toys (that are manufactured in their own country) from the US though.

TheReverend
09-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Wow just wow! This is related...
I recently sold a MISB re-issue Dirge for $9.99 to someone in China(at least that's what their address is). Now he e-mails me and asks why shipping is so high! I didn't think $13 air mail to China was that bad. :rolleyes:

Although I am well aware there are many on eBay that do charge very high shipping prices. I am also aware that many people who complain about shipping costs, just have no idea what it actually costs to ship stuff...

I sold a load of antique glassware, to someone, about 8 or 9 months ago. They never asked about shipping cost for the 10 days the auction was on (I would have been happy to give them a quote). When it ended, I went to www.ups.com, (http://www.ups.com/)estimated the shipping cost, It came to around $45.00.

Man they cried and cried about what a overcharging scam artist I was, for my “high shipping costs”.

I explained that was what it was going to cost. period. I packed the stuff well, used a $4 dollar roll of bubble wrap (that I wasn't even adding to the shipping), all to assure the the goods would get there unbroken.

I told them if they didn't want the stuff that was fine...(I might have thrown in a non paying bidder threat at this point:eek:...)

They sent payment.

When I actually sent it out, via the UPS store, it ended up costing about $5 dollars more...:rolleyes: Which in my years selling on eBay has seemd to happen to me a lot...

Goldbug
09-30-2005, 11:10 PM
No I think that's really reasonable for airmail actually. I don't understand why collectors in China would want to buy toys (that are manufactured in their own country) from the US though.

Just an update on the story. Apparently he moved to Virginia & never changed his address until now.
It all comes down to communication. Don't go "postal" until you know the whole story. ;)

Falcone
10-02-2005, 01:09 PM
if i dont like the shipping cost, i dont bid......simple
one thing i really hate is when i buy something from someone and they dont leave feedback when they get their payment (even though me end of the deal is complete) and wait until you leave them feedback.