Question for Sigma-6 animators/editors. . . [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Question for Sigma-6 animators/editors. . .

Obiwanjacoby
09-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Others here may have posted about this already, but just in case. . .

I noticed while watching the first episode that the Joes flew what appeared to be a "UN styled" flag over their HQ.

HOWEVER,while looking at Joe Harris' preview #2, I noticed the same flag was the stars & stripes. What's this? A last minute change to the flag or something? :confused:

-PJ

CGC
09-11-2005, 01:03 AM
You're right. I recorded the preview, & it was that way, & the first regular run, this morning (well, yesturday, I guess) was also that way. The flag was mentioned in an earlier thread, also, but I'm not sure which one. My guess is that it was changed to th UN flag to appeal to more countries. I would guess that the US is the overwhelming majority of Joe collectors & fans, but if the 'toon is being aired internationally, why not go for a wider audience?

MikePrime
09-11-2005, 06:29 PM
You're right. I recorded the preview, & it was that way, & the first regular run, this morning (well, yesturday, I guess) was also that way. The flag was mentioned in an earlier thread, also, but I'm not sure which one. My guess is that it was changed to th UN flag to appeal to more countries. I would guess that the US is the overwhelming majority of Joe collectors & fans, but if the 'toon is being aired internationally, why not go for a wider audience?

Yeah, they did a fine job of alienating their primary market for the toys and cartoon.

TheReverend
09-12-2005, 10:56 AM
I would guess that the US is the overwhelming majority of Joe collectors & fans, but if the 'toon is being aired internationally, why not go for a wider audience?

That's sort of what I figured. Broader appeal, more of an international spin, be able to distribute internationally without offending any of the many USA haters in the world , etc.

Yeah, they did a fine job of alienating their primary market for the toys and cartoon.

I wounder if they really have. Hasbro's primary market is children, haven't they said that in the past? That's were they make their money. I wounder if any little kids out there would even notice or care about the flag swap??

Personally I would prefer the good old stars and stripes. But if they feel the need to use the UN flag it doesn't bother me...that much...I'm sure I still watch it, and buy the toys. ...(I'm such a dirty, dirty GI Joe addict:D)

Obiwanjacoby
09-12-2005, 02:45 PM
But if they feel the need to use the UN flag it doesn't bother me...that much...I'm sure I still watch it, and buy the toys. ...(I'm such a dirty, dirty GI Joe addict:D)

Well. . .the weirdest part is that it's not really a UN flag either. So is this the new "Joe flag" or something? :confused:

-PJ

Richard J.
09-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Well. . .the weirdest part is that it's not really a UN flag either. So is this the new "Joe flag" or something? :confused:

-PJ
I'm going to go with "new Joe flag" myself rather than UN flag. While explaining all the reasons for not wanting to think of the GI Joe team being under the command of the UN would violate the No Politics rule, I think I am safe in saying I'm not a fan of the organization. Just too many things that aren't working properly.

Also, it's possible that Hasbro and/or the animation studio thought it might help to keep people from knee-jerk critizing the show by indicating an international rather than strictly American role for the Joes.

I just want to know one thing: Will we ever see human troops!

Like the new BATs and Super BATs (or whatever the giant robot things were) but give me a Crimson Guard or Viper or Cobra Trooper any day!

Richar J.