What if Marvel did GI Joe #156? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : What if Marvel did GI Joe #156?

yojoebro82
09-12-2005, 02:54 PM
I think it would be sweet if Marvel (and Lary Hama, of course) decided to re-launch GI Joe and instead of doing a new #1 started off with 156 and take it from there.
Now I know there are SO many reasons why this would never happen , but wouldn't it be cool?
Hama could start up where he left off, have an editor that lets him do pretty much what he wants, and forget all the DD stuff.
I would buy this comic.
They would just need to find a GOOD artist. I mean an artist who pays attention to detail, can pace a story, can draw DIFFERENT faces, and is NOT manga/aname. (Andy Kubert or Linel Yu come to mind, but I'm sure there are some other good ones).
But this will always be just a dream........

ridetofight
09-12-2005, 06:52 PM
heck yeah, i'd read that. to me its the only thing TO do. its the only thing i would read. larry hama IS gi joe. anyone else writing is an imitation. i sure didn't like the whole bone claws wolverine thing though. ack.

Bleak5170
09-13-2005, 07:47 AM
Well they kind of already did that with Frontline. But personally, if they wanted to expand on that i would be thrilled. America's Elite is not doing it for me at the moment. Not that it matters i guess as i can't see that series lasting much longer.

Dreadnok4life
09-24-2005, 03:38 AM
If that happened, I would weep from sheer joy. But.... ain't gonna happen.

wedge1968
09-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Hama was the one that did the bone claw thing!!!! Ug. That was what made me give up comic books.

Wow, I loved his GI Joe, but I just lost a lot of respect for him there.

Dreadnok4life
09-26-2005, 12:15 AM
Hama was the one that did the bone claw thing!!!! Ug. That was what made me give up comic books.

If it isn't too much of a hassle, what's a bone claw thing?

Bleak5170
09-26-2005, 07:19 AM

What was wrong with the bone claws? It was Wolverine's natural state without the adamantium. No big deal.

Patrick A. Riley
09-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Yep. Frontline #1-4 took care of that

wedge1968
09-27-2005, 07:56 AM
Oh, it was a big deal. It was pretty stupid.

There was a storyline in the X-Men in which Magneto removed all of the adamantium (sp?) from Wolverine's body. This was not a cool idea. Then, in a later issue (probably the last one I read), Wolverine discovered that he had bone claws that would come out of his arms.

You know, I've always known that Larry Hama had an impact on my life because his were the first comic books that I ever read, and I later went to college to study writing comic books. It is ironic that, unbeknownst to me, he was also the author that wrote the storyline that made me stop buying comic books and abandon my quest to write them.

Janson
09-27-2005, 08:25 PM
the hama frontlines issues #1-4 were kind of a let down to me. i think this is bc the art was really weak, dan jurgens art was very disappointing. however, dave dorman's covers were amazing. oh, well.

second point, and not trying to steal the thread but the bone claws saga was awesome. think about it, if hama didnt take the adamantium out of wolverine and show that logan was born with the claws a story like Origin might have been totally different. if you havent read hama end run on wolverine, the issues preceding claremont giving wolverine back the adamantium your doing yourself a disservice. hama shows logan to be a total bad *** in "not dead yet" (drawn by lenil francis yu), not just total dependent on his metal which was such a crutch in his character. w/o the metal wolverine was alot faster, meaner, and more darker character. it was a great addition to logans saga.

Bleak5170
09-28-2005, 07:02 AM
Oh, it was a big deal. It was pretty stupid.

There was a storyline in the X-Men in which Magneto removed all of the adamantium (sp?) from Wolverine's body. This was not a cool idea. Then, in a later issue (probably the last one I read), Wolverine discovered that he had bone claws that would come out of his arms.

Logan ALWAYS had the bone claws. They were later laced with adamantium just like the rest of the bones in his body.

yojoebro82
09-28-2005, 06:58 PM
I have to disagree with the comment that Dan Jurgens' art in Front Line was bad. Quite the opposite, I thought it was very detailed and realistic. Great for GI Joe IMO.

(And on the Wolverine bone claw thing, like it or not, you can bet it was more of an editorial move from the X-office than anything else.)

Antarctica
05-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Abomb over at Joe Reloaded Dug up this old thread here, So I thought I would bump it up.

Hasbro is giving us something that we have asked for for a while now. And this time Hama doesn't have to write to include any specific toys that are planned to be released.

Quack34
05-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Awesome thread bump! :)

yojoebro82
05-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Wow I started this thread 5 years ago! Ironically, even though nearly everything I wished for in the first post will be happening, I'm still not sure I will be picking up the Hama Joe book. I'm liking the other IDW stuff and I can't see myself buying FOUR GI Joe books per month at $4 each.

Of course, I changed my mind in the last 5 years and I may change it again. Just read 155 1/2 and it was not too bad.

Antarctica
05-10-2010, 07:07 PM
4 GI Joe books a month is pure awesomeness.

My wallet hates me but the collector in me loves how much GI Joe we are getting.

And I think it is hilarous that your considering not picking it up. But I bet when you see it on the shelf, the draw of Hama writing will tempt you to pick it up.

yojoebro82
05-10-2010, 09:10 PM
It probably will.

Actually, I didn't want to like ARAH. I kept reminding myself how horrible those 7 issues of Storm Shadow were and how medeoquer (spelling) Hama's Origins issues were....but I kinda LIKED ARAH 155 1/2.

Yeah, four Joe books WOULD BE cool IF comic books were reasonably priced these days. Since they're not, I have some thinking to do about which books I'll get....aaarrrgh! It's gonna be tough....

skinny
05-11-2010, 07:45 AM
4 titles is a bit much however when it turns into EIGHT because of multiple covers, that is when it gets to be a bit much.
I grind my teeth because I get 6 a month now. That is just the main titles, Cobra 2, Origins, and GIJOE (2 covers each) that doesnt include Operation HISS now and soon Hearts and Minds written by a zombie fiction writer who is old school GIJOE fan. sigh,

Antarctica
05-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Hey skinny,

Remember 2008 and especially the fall of 2008.

If you can't it was 1 Joe comic a month from Jan to Jul, and ZERO a month from Aug til Dec. That is only 7 GI Joe comics in one year.

I much prefer what we got today then what we got in 2008.

But it is a lot and the wallet doesn't really like me but the Collector in me is SO HAPPY.

skinny
05-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Hey skinny,

Remember 2008 and especially the fall of 2008.

If you can't it was 1 Joe comic a month from Jan to Jul, and ZERO a month from Aug til Dec. That is only 7 GI Joe comics in one year.

I much prefer what we got today then what we got in 2008.

But it is a lot and the wallet doesn't really like me but the Collector in me is SO HAPPY.

its only money right? I hear you and I am a huge fan of Atkins work maybe I should just get HIS covers? nah.....

Satandy
05-14-2010, 10:05 AM
you can always wait for the collections to come out too.

Vega~1
05-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Your wish came true!:eek: ;)

CobraLALALALA
05-19-2010, 08:06 PM
They would just need to find a GOOD artist. I mean an artist who pays attention to detail, can pace a story, can draw DIFFERENT faces, and is NOT manga/aname. (Andy Kubert or Linel Yu come to mind, but I'm sure there are some other good ones).
But this will always be just a dream........

Jim Lee

That dude can draw ANYTHING. Way more technical than McFarlane etc.
Pat Lee (TFs) would be another good choice. He's kinda "anime" looking, but it's still very nice.
Some "booth" guy form 90's was awesome too. He could do it well:D

If the art was there, I'd totally buy it.

chadzx11
05-20-2010, 02:54 PM
I just hope they NEVER get these two guys:

Brandon Badeaux (he should be limited to wwe comics. He sucks!)
Doug Wheatley. That guy can't keep a deadline. I will NEVER buy another one of his books. A year for a 5 issue arc? C'mon!

cageyJG
07-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Ta-dah! Hit the shelves yesterday.

No sense in letting a perfectly good thread here go by the wayside. It only took 4 1/2 years since this topic started, but it's here!

I enjoyed 155 1/2 more, but I'm really glad I grabbed this after the three month wait. Larry Hama is the writer, Agustin Padilla the artist. It definitely has the modern IDW feel. I know the plot will thicken soon, it's just getting warmed up. Best scene: Cobra school crossing guards.

Chuplayer
07-22-2010, 06:32 PM
SPOILERS

I just read it today, and I think it's great. I'm really curious to find out why the government was okay with hiring C.O.B.R.A. I know they were hiring private contractors, but nobody read a history book? I know about the spies in the government, but it still strikes me as odd. And I really love how they're getting the GI Joe team back together.

Larry Hama is breathing life into something that I didn't care to see to begin with. I happen to like the Devil's Due run and am sad to see it cast aside as alternate continuity, so I like how exciting and topical this book is. I look forward to reading where it goes from here.

Once again, this isn't "just another GI Joe book" in what might be considered a bloated lineup from IDW. I'm really impressed with everything they're doing. I'm glad to buy every GI Joe book they put out, and this one is no exception.

Bleak5170
07-23-2010, 09:02 AM
It's kind of neat to see this thread resurrected in light of the new series. I can't believe I dissed America's Elite either as I ended up really liking that comic. Although I was right about it not lasting much longer. :(

yojoebro82
07-23-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm really torn about which Joe continuity to follow. I CANNOT afford 4-5 GI Joe books a month. But I did buy and enjoy ARAH #156, just like I have been enjoying the other IDW stuff. My decision won't be easy.

Arashikage Ninja #333
07-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Ta-dah! Hit the shelves yesterday.

No sense in letting a perfectly good thread here go by the wayside. It only took 4 1/2 years since this topic started, but it's here!

I enjoyed 156 1/2 more, but I'm really glad I grabbed this after the three month wait. Larry Hama is the writer, Agustin Padilla the artist. It definitely has the modern IDW feel. I know the plot will thicken soon, it's just getting warmed up. Best scene: Cobra school crossing guards.

You mean 155 1/2.

Arashikage Ninja #333
07-24-2010, 03:46 PM
I really enjoyed #156 and glad the series is back especially with Hama on the team. The book felt thick as in well written unlike some of the modern JOE books which I haven't really enjoyed. This new series brings me back to when I was younger picking up the Marvel series.

When I grabbed my copies I was checking out the variant and almost passed on it since it looked like a child had drawn it. Then I realized that Hama had drawn it and that it was a concept art cover so I grabbed it.

I don't ever recall Hama doing a cover.

tkjaer21
07-29-2010, 11:55 AM
That is very cool insight. It actually happened too.

toy-nutz
07-29-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't ever recall Hama doing a cover.

I belive he did the cover for Silent Interlude and the cover for Snake Eyes's origin. He also did a cover or two for 'Nam and Nth man if I am not mistaken.

Michael
Bulletman Big B

willie&joe
08-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Just finished reading 156. I thought it was one of the best Joe books in recent memory and I've been enjoying most of the titles already. Super action packed. Hama's writing was great, enjoyed it more than I did his other recent stuff. The story so far is similar to my joe-verse so it makes it even cooler.

Arashikage Ninja #333
08-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I belive he did the cover for Silent Interlude and the cover for Snake Eyes's origin. He also did a cover or two for 'Nam and Nth man if I am not mistaken.

Michael
Bulletman Big B

Are you positive about that. Hama is a writer not a artist.

Also which series are we talking about for those stories. Marvel, DDP or IDW?

I am sure Hama didnt do the Silent Interlude cover which is #21 of the original series and he didnt do the reprint or the DDP renagar or regular cover.

Also for Snake Eye's origin Marvel book I don't recall him doing the art and for the IDW Snake Eye's origin #8 Hama was the writer while Andrea Mutti was the artist.

Hama can't draw that well hence the cover of the 3rd book in this pic.

skinny
08-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Marvel 21 interiors were drawn by Hama, Leialoha, and Roussos
the cover to issue edit:http://gijoe.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Interlude 27,28,30 (not 21 the way the letter reads its confusing sorry bout that) was drawn by Mike Zeck and inked by John Beatty as revealed in the letter column of issue 27 from a letter by...Anthony Padilla? any relation to Augustin Padilla?
from the archive:
Creative Team
Story and Breakdowns: Larry Hama, Finishes: Steve Leialoha, Coloring: George Roussos, Editor: Dennis O'Neil, Editor in Chief: Jim Shooter

Hama has given a nice presentation more than once about how they were rushed to get an issue out and he breaks down the issue panel by panel of how he drew it.
Hama did indeed do the cover

Arashikage Ninja #333
08-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Hmm interesting that Hama did #21 of the original cover to the Marvel Series.

So that is one so far.

:)

skinny
08-02-2010, 03:16 PM
seems that cover credits were few and far between back then, looks like we need something added to the archive?

skinny
08-02-2010, 06:07 PM
well after doing a lot of researching covers and letter pages ( 155 issues worth)
I found that issue 21 was done by Ed Hannigan and Klaus Janson which makes sense because something vaguely resembling Han and KRJ can be seen on the cover.
Hama did do a few covers, as far as I can tell as 96 says Andy Kubert "after Hama"
and 106 says Weeks "after Hama"
153 says "Lman and Garzon" now I dont know if that is Hama or someone else like Wildman.
there were several issues I could not figure out because they were not signed and there were no letters asking who did the art, one could assume who they were as there are a couple good runs of Weeks and Wagner covers. but it would only be guessing.

Arashikage Ninja #333
09-13-2010, 06:27 AM
Interesting about Andy Kubert. This is Joe kubert's son and Joe did alot of the DC war book covers for the big 5 back in the day along with some of the weird war tales. Seems this family is a fan of war covers.

skinny
09-13-2010, 10:42 AM
1 Trimpe, Mcleod
2 Trimpe, Abel
3 Hall, Mike Romita
4 Hall, Mike Romita

8 MVT, JA
9 Mike Vosberg, Chic Stone
10 Mike Vosberg, Jon D’Agostino
11 Camp
13 Mike Vosberg,Jon Dagostino
14 Trimpe, Mitchell
20 John Byrne,
21 Ed Hannigan Klaus Janson, this is according to the letters page in issue 24
23 Micheal Golden
26 Mike Zeck, Bob Wiacek
27 not sure Micheal Golden is credited in issue 30 yet a letter in issue 27 makes it sound like Zeck did it. Unless the answer to the letter is referring to issue 24 or 21
28 Zeck?
29 Micheal Golden
30 Zeck?
32 Frank Springer
35 John Byrne
36 Micheal Golden
37 Mike Zeck John Byrne ( MZ JB)
38 Mike Zeck John Byrne ( Z B)
42 Janke Zeck?

50 Zeck Beatty

59 Zeck Mcleod

63 Zeck Mcleod
67-69 Zeck Mcleod

71-76 Zeck Mcleod

78-80 Zeck Mcleod
81 Rogers Mcleod
82-84 Wagner Mcleod
85 Ryan Mcleod
86 Wagner Mcleod
87 Rogers Mcleod
89 Bright Mcleod
90 Bright Mcleod
91 Andy Kubert
94 Lee Weeks
95 Andy Kubert
96 Andy Kubert after Hama
98 Lee Weeks
99 Lee Weeks
100 Wagner Mcleod
101 Lee Weeks

104 Lee Weeks
105 Lee Weeks
106 Weeks after Hama
107 Lee Weeks
108 HP CN
109 Weeks
110 Garney Mcleod
111 Lee Weeks
112 Lee Weeks
113 Andy Kubert
114 Andy Kubert
115 RW
120-128 Wildman
129 Wildman Baskerville
130-137 Wildman
138 Wildman after MCE
139 Batista Wallace
140 Batista Hudson
141 Rosado Wallace
143 Jesse D’Orozco Tim Tuohy
144 William Rosado GU?
146 Phil Gosier RE
147-150 Gosier RE
152 Gosier Koblish
153 LMAN Garzon
154 Connor Tuohy

AmbroseKalifornia
11-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Man, you guys crack me up. Larry Hama is totally an artist. He started of in the industry as an artist back in the 70's, and is a pretty good storyteller. His idea is that you should be able to read a comic without looking at any of the words, that the storytelling should come from the art, is based on that.

You were lucky to find the sketch cover, it's a clever nod to that fact that Hama did the cover sketches to every issue of the Marvel series. He sold the art on the Rock and Roll one a month or so back. Can't believe I lost it.

AmbroseKalifornia
11-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Also: Yojoebro, what do you think of the Hama run?

yojoebro82
12-07-2010, 05:23 AM
Also: Yojoebro, what do you think of the Hama run?

Well, to be honest I only read the first two issues ( I know, even though I STARTED this topic :rolleyes: ).

I was already reading three IDW Joe books (at $4 a month each) and I just couldn't afford to buy a 4th. In fact, I've cut down to JUST GI Joe recently. (this is where I could launch into how I feel IDW is mishandling the whole property, but I won't).

BUT...I've been thinking of switching to ARAH, especially since Herb Trimp will be doing a cover each month. I've met him two times and he's a heck of a nice guy.

Bleak5170
12-13-2010, 01:09 PM
(this is where I could launch into how I feel IDW is mishandling the whole property, but I won't).

Don't be shy. I have been very vocal about how IDW has basically destroyed G.I. Joe, (yes that's right, I said "destroyed" and I'm standing by it).

AmbroseKalifornia
12-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Don't be shy. I have been very vocal about how IDW has basically destroyed G.I. Joe, (yes that's right, I said "destroyed" and I'm standing by it).

This is relevant to my interests.

Make a new thread.