Mr. Hama Needs our help! [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Mr. Hama Needs our help!

GBPackRat
09-12-2005, 04:23 PM
http://comics.ign.com/articles/649/649813p1.html

Go vote for him!

Thanks,
Tanner

orionlukteel
09-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Ack! He's getting his tail kicked - VOTE!

Patrick A. Riley
09-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Already voted. It's an uphill battle for sure

Obiwanjacoby
09-12-2005, 11:33 PM
That is sooo not fair! John Byrne has done way more titles and is also more popular as an artist. He's simply got more PR than Hama. :(

Not cool.

-PJ

GBPackRat
09-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Mr. Hama however, knows how to reach the people who count. Since the time I put this up, and Ben Smith of Gotham City Art sending out a mailer to his clients, we've helped to make this a much closer race than it started out as...

I believe this morning it was a 63% - 37% in favor of Bryne. Since then we've pushed this vote to almost a dead lock at 53% - 47%.

Come on guys help us push Hama over the mark to win.

Tanner

PS: BTW, the votes count only IP addresses, if you vote on other computers, your vote will count again.

bigjohnwoo
09-13-2005, 03:08 AM
Okay, this is going to get me in a lot of trouble but...

I think John Byrne's seminal work on Fantastic Four and Superman and personal faves of mine, Next Men and X-Men Hidden Years, makes him the worthier candidate in this poll.

I'll abstain from voting out of respect to Joedom.

Lody
09-13-2005, 07:21 AM
If you clear your cookies you can vote again...and again....and again...

Bleak5170
09-13-2005, 07:45 AM
I'm with bigjohnwoo on this one. I love Hama's work but he's just not in the venerable Mr. Byrne's league. I won't vote out of respect for my fellow Joe fans.

cobraferret
09-13-2005, 07:46 AM
I have done my civic duty as a g.i.j.oe fan.
YYYYYYYOOOOOOJJJJJJJOOOOOOOOEEEEE.
Come on Larry Hama

Onslaught Six
09-13-2005, 10:39 AM
It now appears as though Hama is winning. :D

orionlukteel
09-13-2005, 11:46 AM
I do like John Byrne's writing, but there's just something that doesn't sit quite right, can't put my finger on it. Maybe it was She-Hulk that bugged me...:rolleyes:

However, I haven't read anything by Larry Hama that I don't like - including his work on Wolverine. Where the art on GI Joe and Wolverine may have been iffy at times, the writing has always been terrific. I haven't read The 'Nam yet, but I've been told it doesn't disappoint.

Now, if this were a vote between Hama and Claremont (or Waid or David), I might have a problem.:D

MikePrime
09-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Yes, Larry Hama is leading! I was afraid that all the comic book geeks were going to vote for John Byrne.

bigjohnwoo
09-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Yes, Larry Hama is leading! I was afraid that all the comic book geeks were going to vote for John Byrne.

Yes. For how unfortunate would it have been if comic book geeks were the majority of the voting population on a poll to determine best comic book writer!?

;)

Patrick A. Riley
09-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Wow! The Joe community is large (or the number of voters is small) ;)

GBPackRat
09-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Wow talk about a force...

Prior to getting the word out yesterday, Mr. Hama was getting wasted. Since then, he's caught up and overtaken Bryne in the vote.

Tanner

Janson
09-14-2005, 12:05 PM
John Bryne is one of the best comic book ARTISTS of all time, but he is NOT a better writer then Hama, not by a longshot. Honestly, She-Hulk was excellent fun writing but what has done besides that was memorable. What other run on a title that he has written would you consider memorable? When he did that Spider-Man Year One garbage? Can anyone name a memorable story he has written for his time on Hulk, 90's X-men, 80's Fantastic Four, Wonder Woman, etc...

This round has to go to Hama, but it looks lie he is up against Mark Millar next... Tough call who did the better Wolverine?

red25thta
09-14-2005, 02:10 PM
However, I haven't read anything by Larry Hama that I don't like - including his work on Wolverine. Where the art on GI Joe and Wolverine may have been iffy at times, the writing has always been terrific. I haven't read The 'Nam yet, but I've been told it doesn't disappoint.
The 'Nam is great. My brother had a couple I read years ago. Now i'll pick them up at my comic book store if they don't have any Joe's I need. Untill recently I didn't know Hama wrote the 'Nam.
Live and learn.

Mr.MojoRisin
09-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Go Larry Go.

dmooretoys
09-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Since no one else posted it I guess I will--Larry Hama won! I think it was 58%-42%.

Dan

Janson
09-17-2005, 06:16 PM
We need to help Hama now. He is up against Mark Millar, its a close call on who is the better writer but I still gave the nod to Hama. I would be very surprised if the Joe nation can pull this one off for him.

cobraferret
09-17-2005, 06:56 PM
http://comics.ign.com/articles/649/649813p1.html

Go vote for him!

Thanks,
Tanner
We need the next link..Please

dmooretoys
09-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Ok, here is the next round:

http://comics.ign.com/articles/646/646667p10.html

Just scroll down and you will see the Mark Millar vs. Larry Hama link. You have to vote before Sep 23rd so hurry!

Dan

whitedalek
09-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Sad. John Byrne had done a lot more for comics than Larry Hama. I like Hama, but Byrne was worked on and created so many things. X-Men, Wolverine, Alpha Flight, etc. Byrne is a true legend.

Bleak5170
09-19-2005, 07:01 AM
Sad. John Byrne had done a lot more for comics than Larry Hama. I like Hama, but Byrne was worked on and created so many things. X-Men, Wolverine, Alpha Flight, etc. Byrne is a true legend.

Agreed. Hama is truly great but the legacy of John Byrne should have made him the winner. I'm honestly mystified as to how Larry managed to win.

MikePrime
09-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Agreed. Hama is truly great but the legacy of John Byrne should have made him the winner. I'm honestly mystified as to how Larry managed to win.

It's probably because there were more G.I. Joe fans than general comic book fans voting. It's actually the exact opposite of how I expected that poll to go.

Janson
09-21-2005, 04:44 PM
ok, here is my arguement with the hama/bryne poll. bryne is the better creator, hands down but this is a poll about writing. All of the memorable Bryne X-men stories dark phoenix saga, days future present were all written by chris claremont. sure bryne had great runs in the 80's on the ff, she-hulk and superman but he also had alot of stinkers (especially in the last 10 years).

I cant think of a bad hama story. he has so many great joe tales as well as wolverine and batman stories. he took the adamatium out of wolverine and showed how much of a bad *** wolverine is even with out the metal (not dead yet comes to mind).

I consider myself to be a comics geek more than joe fan and I can honestly say I perfer hama as a writer any day.

im not knocking bryne but i think hama gets no credit bc of his association with gi joe comic. comic book fans seem to have an elitist mentality with the joe comic and look down on it bc its consider to be a commercial/ gimmick title which is too bad bc it was such an excellent book.

as i mentioned before i'd be surprised if millar didn't beat hama bc he is one of the top 5 writers out there today. i still voted for hama on this poll, maybe i shouldnt have but if hama wins i would say that the joe fans sniped the ign poll. thats my 2 cents.

Dreadnok4life
09-24-2005, 03:30 AM
Larry lost to Mark Miller. Who is Mark Miller? LOL Too bad I don't check this site more frequently or Larry would have won by 100 votes. ;)