De Aco becoming common? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : De Aco becoming common?

CGC
09-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Here are 3 Cobra De Aço ebay auctions that just ended. Varying conditions, and none are complete, but they all seem to be in decent shape. Here's the weird thing - they all finished for under $35 each!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brazil-Estrela-Exclusive-Gi-Joe-Fig-Cobra-De-Aco-I_W0QQitemZ5998143974QQcategoryZ2467QQssPageNameZW DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brazil-Estrela-Exclusive-Gi-Joe-Fig-Cobra-De-Aco-II_W0QQitemZ5998145323QQcategoryZ2467QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brazil-Estrela-Exclusive-Gi-Joe-Fig-Cobra-De-Aco-III_W0QQitemZ5998146541QQcategoryZ2467QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is De Aço getting so common now that that's all he's worth, is there something I don't see wrong with these figs, or is it just a fluke & 3 ebayers lucked out?

Deadshot
09-13-2005, 09:35 PM
yeah too bad i got out bid on the one ..lol

Druss
09-13-2005, 09:39 PM
All 3 by the same seller, makes you wonder if they are legit. All 3 have heavy wear butg seem to have perfect chest logo's...

cutter27
09-13-2005, 10:56 PM
i still wouldn't go as far as to say he's getting to be common... my contacts in brazil through my wife's family and friends haven't been able to find me one in 2 years. :(

and of all the guys i actually know on here and the joecustoms board, i can only think of one who has a de aco that i know of :(

Fabio
09-14-2005, 10:55 AM
i still wouldn't go as far as to say he's getting to be common... my contacts in brazil through my wife's family and friends haven't been able to find me one in 2 years. :(

and of all the guys i actually know on here and the joecustoms board, i can only think of one who has a de aco that i know of :(

De Aço is not easy to find here if you want a mint one. And as most of the Mercado Livre guys know that this is a valuable figure they charge as much as they feel like.

I'm glad to have my De Aço in awesome conditions (I believe I even managed to keep his FC though I'm not 100% sure)! :D

cutter27
09-15-2005, 08:23 AM
De Aço is not easy to find here if you want a mint one. And as most of the Mercado Livre guys know that this is a valuable figure they charge as much as they feel like.

I'm glad to have my De Aço in awesome conditions (I believe I even managed to keep his FC though I'm not 100% sure)! :D

i wasn't going to call you out, but since you admitted it to the public, now everybody knows it was your collection i was referring to................................................ ..:D

Fabio
09-15-2005, 08:30 AM
i wasn't going to call you out, but since you admitted it to the public, now everybody knows it was your collection i was referring to................................................ ..:D

You mean I'm the only one on the boards you know that has a De Aço? :confused: I'm sure there are many fellow yojoers who have this one also... Am I wrong???

cutter27
09-15-2005, 09:11 AM
You mean I'm the only one on the boards you know that has a De Aço? :confused: I'm sure there are many fellow yojoers who have this one also... Am I wrong???

i meant collectors who i actually know... of all the guys i talk to regularly on here, you're the only one i'm aware of that has a de aco! :)

Fabio
09-15-2005, 09:31 AM
i meant collectors who i actually know... of all the guys i talk to regularly on here, you're the only one i'm aware of that has a de aco! :)

DUH!!!!!!!!!! :D Sorry, I didn't read it right! :p

evil_henchman
09-15-2005, 11:22 AM
I have a contact down is Sao Paulo as well and he can't find squat when it comes to Joes. He's not a joe collector so i have to send him pics and descriptions of what i'm looking for. I'm not sure if he is looking in the right places or what.

Fabio
09-15-2005, 11:28 AM
I have a contact down is Sao Paulo as well and he can't find squat when it comes to Joes. He's not a joe collector so i have to send him pics and descriptions of what i'm looking for. I'm not sure if he is looking in the right places or what.

The thing is we don't usually have garage sales over here (I'm aware this is a great way to get old toys in the US) and unless you have plenty of time to hunt it boils down to Mercado Livre or a few physical stores/flea markets - and they all know what's rare and what's not, so they charge as much as they feel like. A good deal may pop up at ML from time to time, though...

evil_henchman
09-15-2005, 11:51 AM
The thing is we don't usually have garage sales over here (I'm aware this is a great way to get old toys in the US) and unless you have plenty of time to hunt it boils down to Mercado Livre or a few physical stores/flea markets - and they all know what's rare and what's not, so they charge as much as they feel like. A good deal may pop up at ML from time to time, though...

He never mentioned any of that to me. I am very grateful that he looks because he really doesn't have to. Thanks for clearing up how the market is down there.

Fabio
09-15-2005, 12:01 PM
He never mentioned any of that to me. I am very grateful that he looks because he really doesn't have to. Thanks for clearing up how the market is down there.

You are very welcome! ;)

Tattoo Shane
09-15-2005, 12:29 PM
I don't think that De Aco's are becoming dead common by any means but as more and more people in Brazil gain access to the internet and find out that there's a demand for their toys we're going see more come out of the woodwork. Regardless, it's a figure that's easily damaged and will always be somewhat difficult to find a mint shape.

And FWIW, there are quite a few board members who own De Acos. ;)

gutstheberserker
09-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Fabio, just out of curiousity how common are the first back figures with white backgrounds similar to the De Aco? Do you ever see them for sale?

Corredor X
10-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Fabio, just out of curiousity how common are the first back figures with white backgrounds similar to the De Aco? Do you ever see them for sale?
Aside from Agente Secreta/Cover Girl and Granadeiro/Grunt, the two of them poping up ocasionally, they're not common at all to be found carded (some of them even loose...). And when someone sells one, it's waaaay too expensive, believe me. 1991+ carded figures, mainly 1996 ones, are more common to see around here.

Fabio's right, garage sales are not common in Brazil, even in small towns like mine. ML is the easiest way to find Comandos around here, even at expensive prices sometimes and not always in great condition...

And FWIW, there are quite a few board members who own De Acos. ;)
I have mine since 1986 :D Being the first Cobra I owned, it's in great condition, even with his filecard. The chrome is long gone, but the logo is perfect. The only thing I regret is losing his weapon, I can't find a replacement one nowhere! And since I need ANOTHER one for my Raio Laser/Flash, it will be a long search...

Fabio
10-03-2005, 10:15 AM

Hey Guts, sorry I didn't see your post earlier but I believe Corredor cleared your doubt! BTW, I'm not sure what you meant with "white backgrounds"??

gutstheberserker
10-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Hey Guts, sorry I didn't see your post earlier but I believe Corredor cleared your doubt! BTW, I'm not sure what you meant with "white backgrounds"??

By white backgrounds, I mean cards that look similar to the De Aco format that are white on the front.

Corredor X
10-03-2005, 03:04 PM
By white backgrounds, I mean cards that look similar to the De Aco format that are white on the front.
You mean the ones with the 5-head logo, right? If so, my answer is correct. This kind of cardback was used between 1984-88, my favorite years of the Comandos Em Ação toyline, by the way. I need eight figures to complete this period, most of them being the most expensive ones in collector's hands nowadays... :(

gutstheberserker
10-03-2005, 03:10 PM
You mean the ones with the 5-head logo, right? If so, my answer is correct. This kind of cardback was used between 1984-88, my favorite years of the Comandos Em Ação toyline, by the way. I need eight figures to complete this period, most of them being the most expensive ones in collector's hands nowadays... :(

Wow, that's impressive! Do you have a list of the ones that have the 5 head logo like the De Aco?

jabba the drunk
10-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Wow, that's impressive! Do you have a list of the ones that have the 5 head logo like the De Aco?

I'll take a shot at this! :)

Rock N Roll
Breaker...aka Falcon!!! (In Brazil's vintage 12" Gijoe, Falcon was the main character)
Stalker
O Invasor (basically Snake Eyes)
Zap
Flash
Cobra Officer
Cobra Soldier
Short Fuze
Scarlett

Cobra De Aco
Spririt
Sokerk (tan Grunt)
Ripcord
Storm Shadow
Blowtorch
Recondo
Doc
Mutt
Torch
Cover Girl
Airborne

Destro
Alpine
Footloose
Barbecue
Eels
Lowlight

I think that's all of them released on the white Comandos em Acao cardbacks (5 vintage heads).

-Peter

gutstheberserker
10-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks. I'm also working on a set but don't have very many of them.

Corredor X
10-03-2005, 07:44 PM
I'll take a shot at this! :)
Great job, Peter! :D You only missed Front/Grunt (the green one) and Cobra Invasor, which is Snake Eyes with the Cobra symbol, both of them sold in 1985. And Sokerk here is called Granadeiro/Estopim, and the color is a little diferent from the one from Argentina, I think. The ones I don't have:

Cobra Invasor (I have three O Invasor, but no Cobra Invasor... :mad: )
Falcon/Breaker
Gládion/Rock n' Roll
Atena/Scarlett
Cobra/Cobra Soldier
Cobra Oficial/Cobra Officer
Falcon Piloto/Grunt
Cobra Piloto/Cobra Viper Pilot

The last two were not put in the list because they're drivers, of course - like Escafandrista. I like this period the most because it was the one I really played and collect Comandos Em Ação... I got out of them (the second most dumb thing I've done in life) in the beggining of the 90's, and now I'm having a hard time searching for the (almost uncontable) ones I've missed... :(

David Clark
10-10-2005, 07:30 PM
I have two cobra De aco,

The frist one had most of the chrome off his head but I know someone in Texas that has a friend that does cold chroming on plastic and I sent my cobra de aco head to have rechromed and it came out excellent,

If any one what to find out about it email me and I get in tuch with him

Joel109
10-17-2005, 09:21 PM
I have noticed that the Cobra De Aco's that have been offered on eBay lately are pretty much garbage. The three that I own are in C-9.5 to C-10 condition. I got then several years ago on eBay, but I have not seen anything but garbage in regards to Cobra De Aco's for the longest time.

Corredor X
10-18-2005, 02:02 PM
(...)1984-88, my favorite years of the Comandos Em Ação toyline, by the way. I need eight figures to complete this period, most of them being the most expensive ones in collector's hands nowadays... :(
Sorry for the off-topic, but I have to tell everyone this: now I only need six :D Got today a Cobra Soldado and a Cobra Invasor, both of them in great condition.

ttfndude
10-21-2005, 08:05 AM
I saw this figure just this morning on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/GI-Joe-GIJoe-Brazilian-Cobra-de-Aco-3-3-4-MINT-Figure_W0QQitemZ6005950886QQcategoryZ2467QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem
and I laughed at the price cause he kind of looks dorky. Now I see this thread what's so special. Don't know a lot about international all I have is a Argentinian MOSC Scarlet figure prob a C-9 or so. Just wonderin???

ttfndude

gutstheberserker
10-21-2005, 08:58 AM
I saw this figure just this morning on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/GI-Joe-GIJoe-Brazilian-Cobra-de-Aco-3-3-4-MINT-Figure_W0QQitemZ6005950886QQcategoryZ2467QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem
and I laughed at the price cause he kind of looks dorky. Now I see this thread what's so special. Don't know a lot about international all I have is a Argentinian MOSC Scarlet figure prob a C-9 or so. Just wonderin???

ttfndude

The De Aco is magical. If you rub its head three times and correctly pronounce comandos em acao, you get three wishes. That's why so many of the chrome heads have wear on them.

airedevon
10-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Trent, your info is awesome! Now we know :-)

Aire

gutstheberserker
10-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Thanks. And if there are some of you who don't believe me, just ask my new assistant, Evangeline Lilly.