What Movies / T.V. Shows Remind You of G.I. Joe? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : What Movies / T.V. Shows Remind You of G.I. Joe?

sidemachine
09-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Hello, All.

As a G.I. Joe fan, whenever I'm in the mood to watch military-type movies, I often times pop in a DVD that I own (or have rented) to get into the patriotic spirit. Below is a list of films I watch to that end. I'm hoping this will encourage other forum members to post their own lists!

Tears of the Sun (starring Bruce Willis)
Saving Private Ryan
ALIENS (because of the United States Colonial Marines)
Assault on Precinct 13 [2005] (because the bad guys are like Cobra)
Starship Troopers 1 & 2 (I know, there's a big DUMB factor in at least the first one but the whole futuristic-army element seems Joe-ish in my book)
Predator (the first film, because of Schwarzenegger's military team)
Black Hawk Down ('cause I love that "Leave no one behind" attitude)
Most Wanted (starring Keenan Ivory Wayans) - okay this one wasn't a big hit but I like it because it's a cool flick, fun story to watch & the militaristic-action.
Resident Evil (1) because of the militaristic Umbrella Company infiltration team
John Carpenter's "The Thing" (circa 1982) - this one may not be militaristic but the cammaraderie (spelling) between the science team is very G.I. Joe-ish in my humble opinion. In fact, the PS2 game that acts as an unofficial sequel to the movie has lots of G.I. Joe-like action in it.

I'm sure there are TONS more Joe-ish movies but above is just my quick-list. Anyone else care to share their list?

Yo Joe!

sidemachine
Supporting the Joe team since 1983.

Janson
09-16-2005, 03:36 PM
I guess all those One Hour Action TV Shows of the eighties where everyone is firing machine guns but no one gets shot and vehicles blow up real good but the driver jumps out at the last minute...

A-Team
AirWolf
MacGuyver
Riptide (anyone remember Riptide?)

sinnister
09-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Tour of Duty from the 80's

Janson
09-16-2005, 05:53 PM
MASH was nothing really like Joe but it did have a toyline... even if it was crappy.

Janson
09-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Best 3 war movies of all time...

1. Platoon
2. The Deer Hunter (well half of the movie)
3. Apocalypse Now

Robert Duvall in Apocalpyse Now is the king. He had to be the basis for Wild Bills figure, GOD I LOVE THE SMELL OF NAPAM IN THE MORNING!

sidemachine
09-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Hey, Janson & Sinnister!

Good ones. M*A*S*H. Wow I feel old. I never watched it (I guess I should...) but I remember seeing it on t.v. all the time as a kid. I know it reruns a lot, too.

Sorry but I DON'T remember Riptide. What was that, anyway?

I think I only saw ONE episode of Tour of Duty in the 80s but it was a great one. Very sad & tragic. The main guy (forget his name) held a baby in his arms near the end of the episode & (SPOILER) it died. The guy was distraught 'cause the "little guy" never had a chance to live. I think a good portion of that episode was spent trying to get the baby to safety. A great ep but, ultimately, a depressing one.

The movies you've mentioned reminded me of another one:

Full Metal Jacket. Two of the best movies I ever saw. Ha, ha, ha. [If you watch it, I think you'll know what I mean by "two".]

Robocop (the first one, at least) had "OCP" cops decked out in cool body armor. I always thought that they TOTALLY looked like Cobra soldiers.

Oh, and there's Stripes with Bill Murray. It's a comedy, sure, but it still has a patriotic element to it. Kind of a Bad News Bears of the military.

If I can think of any more, I'll let y'all know!

Thanx for the feedback! Good stuff!

sidemachine

sinnister
09-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Hey, Janson & Sinnister!

I think I only saw ONE episode of Tour of Duty in the 80s but it was a great one. Very sad & tragic. The main guy (forget his name) held a baby in his arms near the end of the episode & (SPOILER) it died. The guy was distraught 'cause the "little guy" never had a chance to live. I think a good portion of that episode was spent trying to get the baby to safety. A great ep but, ultimately, a depressing one.

Hello to you too!

Yeah, I know the episode you are talking about. That was during the first season of the show. The main character's name was Zeke.

MikePrime
09-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Stargate SG-1 reminds me of G.I. Joe. It's a team of unique characters working in an underground military base, fighting evil forces. It really is the closest thing to G.I. Joe ARAH.

Falcone
09-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Stargate SG-1 reminds me of G.I. Joe. It's a team of unique characters working in an underground military base, fighting evil forces. It really is the closest thing to G.I. Joe ARAH.

even though they are fighting alien "snakes" that control humans ;)

yea gotta like the two fullmetal jackets too

Angry Beef
09-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Tears of the Sun is I think a perfect GI JOE movie.

I remember Riptide. It had a boat and a robot! I have no clue what it was about.. I think a cross between A-Team and Knight Rider.

Viper Commander
09-20-2005, 12:01 PM
"The Rock" is a very GI Joeish movie too. :D

Clutch II
09-20-2005, 12:11 PM
there was a movie i think was called MegaForce ( http://www.jabootu.com/megaforce.htm )or something they had futuristic motorcycles and dune buggies and a van the vehicles had some type of touch affected camoflage on them they shot missiles and lasers and such and the motorcycles flew :p

Janson
09-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks angry beef... I was begining to think that Riptide was something my subconscience made up as a kid. Everytime I mention the show to someone they look at me like i'm insane. I remember some type of red helicopter and 2 guys running around with a red/orange robot that looks like that reject robot from Rocky III.

Another thing that reminds me of GI JOE is Mission Impossible.

valkbuddy
09-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Chuck Norris In " Delta Force" Or " Iron Eagle" Or " Red Dawn" With The Swayze!

CityofCaterpillar
09-20-2005, 05:29 PM
I've posted this before, but the fact that the main character on "Airwolf" had a cabin he lived in, and was often seen dressed like Snake Eyes in his civilian gear, reminded me a lot of Joe when I watched it as a kid.

The Chuck Norris movie "The Octagon" had a lot going for it, too, I think. I never saw the ending, though -- my parents grounded me and made me go to bed early before it ended!

I nominate the second half of "Full Metal Jacket," too, because some lines in it, like the mention of a "thousand-yard stare," show up in the Joe stories set in Vietnam and #155. The plotline reminds me of a cross between a particularly dark "Special Missions" and E.C. Comics' "Two-Fisted Tales" (an early military comic I love, with lots of stories set in Korea).

Oh, and another thing I mentioned in another off-topic thread, the original "Manchurian Candidate" has a lot going on in it that reminds me of Hama's use of the Brain-Wave Scanner. Some real freaky '50s cinematography with moments where the bad guys suddenly switch places with the old ladies' flower-arranging society...

sidemachine
09-24-2005, 01:53 AM
Hello to MikePrime, spike, Angry Beef, Viper Commander, Clutch II, valkbuddy & City of Caterpillar!

Hello, again, also to Janson & sinnister.

MikePrime, Thanx for the heads up about Stargate SG-1. I saw the theatrical Stargate film decades ago & thought it was okay but never bothered to watch the t.v. shows. Now I have a reason to give them a look.

Angry Beef, I'm glad you agree with me about "Tears of the Sun"! I think the moment in that film that captures the G.I. Joe feeling for me is when Bruce Willis's character (Lieutenant Waters) asks his team if they are all in to continue the mission. All of them pledged their support and one of the soldiers (who they call "Slo"), played by Nicholas Chinlund, seemed to sum up their team spirit by simply asking, "Are we there yet?". To me, the subtlety but profoundness of that answer, that positive attitude is what helps to make G.I. Joe great.

Some great ideas there, gang. Most I've heard of but a few I haven't. "Two-Fisted Tales" is new to my ears! As for Manchurian Candidate, I wonder if the newer version (with Denzel Washington?) is comparable to the original film. I have yet to see either.

Best wishes, all.

sidemachine

P.S. By the way, City of Caterpillar, I hope you will manage to watch "The Octagon" in its entirety soon! Perhaps you'll be able to find it on VHS video or even DVD these days (for rent or to buy)!

sidemachine
08-14-2006, 07:25 AM
Bump.

I hope none of my fellow Joe fans here mind if I bump this thread back up toward the top. I'm going to refer to it in another post string & I was hoping this one would be easy to find for others here.

Best wishes,
sidemachine

Bleak5170
08-17-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Band Of Brothers".

sidemachine
08-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Hello, Bleak5170!

I have heard lots of great things about "Brothers In Arms". I even rented one of the DVDs but failed to actually make time to watch it before I returned it.

I guess it's time to revisit it.

How about the movie "Jarhead"? Have you or anyone else seen it?

Personally, I haven't but it seems like it could be a likely candidate to be a G.I. Joe-ish movie.

Best wishes,
Jason, alias sidemachine
Supporting the Joe team since 1983

P.S. In the 80s, when I started wishing for a live-action G.I. Joe film, I figured it was an impossibility since having columns upon columns of H.I.S.S. Tanks (I prefer the first, original H.I.S.S.es) would be out of the question budget wise. [Or, could it be done with miniatures?] After seeing the droid armies in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, I guess the world sees that CGI has made stuff like a Cobra army (and the Joe team & its vehicles, armaments, etc.) all a budgetary possibility. Imagine colums of H.I.S.S. Tanks rolling on the big screen, intent on starting some trouble and then G.I. Joe rising to the challenge & making them think twice.........

ranger_jer
08-17-2006, 10:08 PM
-the Devils Brigade
-Apocolypse now, (I think the basis of Wild Bills character came from Robert Duvals in this movie) "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!"
"Charlie, don't surf!!"
lol great stuff !!

Bleak5170
08-18-2006, 07:48 AM
Hello, Bleak5170!

I have heard lots of great things about "Brothers In Arms". I even rented one of the DVDs but failed to actually make time to watch it before I returned it.

I guess it's time to revisit it.

How about the movie "Jarhead"? Have you or anyone else seen it?

Personally, I haven't but it seems like it could be a likely candidate to be a G.I. Joe-ish movie.

Hey sidemachine,

My bad, I meant Band Of Brothers but you obviously knew what I meant so it's all good. I highly recommend you rent it again and watch it. It's the best series I've ever seen based on WWII. It strays a little bit from the truth, (for instance, certain people are switched in situations in order to make the story more cogent), but it's still highly enjoyable.

As for Jarhead, I had wanted to see it but then I heard basically nothing but negative things about it so I skipped it. I heard it was very, very boring.