Today's S6, Sep 24 [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Today's S6, Sep 24

CGC
09-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Was that a new theme song?

The new Hiss’ made an appearance, but in red.

Thor’s Hammer? I’m not sure if I heard the name right, but that would be a cool custom

The Rhino fits in the R.O.C.C.?

I think that this series has a lot of potential, & I'll probably watch most of them. The anime style isn't as bad as say Pokemon or Digimon, S6 really isn't bad at all, with the one exception of the Baroness & Scarlett being 12 years old. ;)

The MASS Device
09-24-2005, 11:28 AM
I have been a defender of the show through the first two episodes, but the negatives of this show are starting to get too hard for me to overlook.

[SPOILERS WARNING]

I was excited about the foreshadowed Cobra attack on the Joe HQ, but I was sorely disappointed when I saw that Cobra's attack force was nothing but 2000 BATS, BAT-driven vehicles (why bother putting a BAT in a Mech-Suit? just put the computer into it), and a big plasma weapon fired from the sub - Destro, Baroness and Cobra Commander just sit there in their sub. If they didn't use any human Cobra agents in the attack on Joe HQ, they never will. Throughout the whole sequence there was almost no action in the destruction of the GI Joe HQ, just a bunch of people sitting at computers and talking. Egad. The first episode had a lot of action (even though it was only against BATS). They really botched this sequence although maybe things will improve as it continues next week.

All of this emphasis on robots and computers just makes this not feel like GI Joe to me. And Spud the robo-dog is just unbearable.

The world of Sigma Six feels small and contrived. The Sunbow series was corny and somewhat small also, but it still felt like it took place on earth. This new series almost seems like a parallel dimension where only GI Joe and Cobra exist in the world (except for a few school kids). It's just not drawing me in.

I was willing to give this show a fair chance and will continue watching for awhile, but my expectations have dropped very low and I don't know if I will ever really like it. I will just watch it because of my exceeding strange curiousity about all things GI Joe.

So to me, the things that have destroyed the potential of this series are:

1. Battling against only robots. It just bores me and seems fake.

2. Too much emphasis on computers and technology (which ties in to #1). High-Tech, Duke and Scarlett's defense of GI Joe HQ was spent entirely at computer monitors.

3. Spud the robo-dog.

At least, they tried. If early ratings are any indications, the series might've failed even if it was better.

Bravo
09-24-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm agreeing with you. I'm loosing interest as well. The whole technobabble stuff really got on my nerves. We can reroute the whatever so that it whatever....:rolleyes:

Defense lasers and shields...more Trek stuff. NOOO!!! How about launching missiles at all those BATS? Got any?

BATS, BATS, BATS.....zzzz......

The same handful of Joes = boring. They are boring, all of them.

Spiderman...Snake Eyes get onto the hiss tank as the Overlord BAT flies it away. Same overly dramatic scene that all cartoons use (Batman used it about 1,000 times). Not that I expect innovation. But so far the series is one cliche after another.

Won't some our troops be destroyed, too? Why the ? would Baroness care about robots being destroyed? I mean in episode 1 they had an entire castle destroyed for no real reason.

Recapping what's happening too often because the show was made for kids with no attention spans. "I NEED THAT KID AND HIS DOG BECAUSE IT HAD SUPED UP NANO THINGIES."

I'll still give the show a try, unless I have something better to do.

yojoebro82
09-24-2005, 11:50 AM
For me, three things would make the show better:

1. Substitute the sci-fi theme for a military one.

2. Dialogue that does not eventually turn into white noise.

3. Scott: KIA

Onslaught Six
09-24-2005, 01:22 PM
What's 'really' ticking me off is how they keep saying "R-O-C-C."

It's ROCK. Rock. Rockitty rock rock. Say it. Do it with all the vehicles.

I swear, if they do that with other vehicles, I'm gonna cringe.

"The H-I-S-S-es are attacking with A-S-P-s! We better shoot them down with our V-A-M-P jeep!"

GRAAGGHHHHH!

Obiwanjacoby
09-24-2005, 03:39 PM
(a.) I'm having the same problems with the series as eveyone else, but I'm going to try to ride it out.

(b.) If Spud makes the "supreme sacrifice" to save Scott's life, I'll be so cool with that.:p

(c.) I'm glad the techno-babble didn't save the day, or else it's be Star Trek all over again :rolleyes: .

-PJ

zartan85
09-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Hi all...i agree with the comments above stating that the series world so far seems small.....it also got a bit of a yawn out of me when they where by-passing the laser fired at them.....i actually got a bit bored with that sequence....the gi joe headquarters was being decimated and we only have the same handful of joes with the same equiptment...all i thought was...jesus get MORE JOES...but of course we only have a core set of characters for now...with one big arse bass for all 7 of them....and where the heck is everyone else in the world during this?....:confused:

crowinghorse
09-24-2005, 08:35 PM
What's 'really' ticking me off is how they keep saying "R-O-C-C."

It's ROCK. Rock. Rockitty rock rock. Say it. Do it with all the vehicles.

I swear, if they do that with other vehicles, I'm gonna cringe.

"The H-I-S-S-es are attacking with A-S-P-s! We better shoot them down with our V-A-M-P jeep!"

GRAAGGHHHHH!

I have a theory as to why they do this...

The target market for these figures and toys (merchandise) is kids ages 5-12, which means they are at the stage in their life where they KNOW the alphabet, but not necessarily how to spell each and every word. If Duke said "Rock" instead of "R O C C," some kid might not get that they are the same thing...

May seem stupid, but it's a pretty solid theory IMO. Think about it and LMK what you think....

Also, no offense against the lovers of the cartoon (don't know how few of them there are) but the dialogue SUCKS! I have written better action and dialogue than that and my books not even published yet...

Also, I like the tech theme and IMO BATTs are super cool, but there at least needs to be some evil Cobra "grunts" on the ground...come one Hasbro...W T F?

the joe bandit
09-25-2005, 12:20 AM
I watched it for the first time today, and I got to say that it was bad. I will maybe drag my lazy butt out of bed for it again next week, but it had better be better. There was mor action in the cartoon that followed it! And what is the point of having Dreadnoks (and the others as well) if they are just going to stand around and listen to CC babble?

Gerbrecht
09-25-2005, 05:21 PM
I missed it here (it plays on Sundays actually), does anyone know where I can find a copy of episode 3? I actually like it, but I am not expecting that much from it. It is something that my 4 year old enjoys since I got him into GI Joe, but also something that I can watch since they are trying to keep it consistent with older Joe cartoons. I hope it keeps going for a long time.

whitedalek
09-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Ugh! I missed episode 2, so I was confused to where that stupid kid and that idiotic robot dog came from. The battle was very lame - just sitting at a keyboard......yawn. Unless some action happens (and that darn dog kicks the bucket), I'll be tuning out.

Graz73
09-26-2005, 12:37 PM
I know it would never happen, but couldn't they just get Hama or someone from the old Sunbow gang to write the show??

carnage717
09-26-2005, 03:54 PM
I too am losing interest fast. I will try to stick it out but judging by the ratings the last episode got its not looking to good. I dont know how it is in other TV Markets but I noticed that during the whole entire show whenever it came to a commercial break they were pimping every other toy except their own. If you spent all this money on a cartoon trying get the word out that there is a new Joe cartoon dont you think they should at least spend a little money on some advertising. Now I know that the whole show is basically an advertisement but no where during the airing of the show does it state there is a toy line that accompanies this Cartoon. Why spend the money if your not letting your viewers know there is a toy line. Seems like a huge waste of money if you ask me. Some one at Hasbro has no Idea how to run a toy line. When were kids and the old sunbow series was on there were always commercials for the toys but I have yet to see one commercial promoting the Sigma Six toy line.

Brad

thoughtcrime
09-27-2005, 02:03 PM
I have to agree that this episode was bad. I wont cry foul yet, as its still early. My biggest gripe aside from that damn dog is the fact that apparently here, laser light travels no faster then flowing water. The so-called "battle" and evacuation were poorly done, but I did kinda like how Cobra actually whooped Joe behind. This was a clear, decisive victory for COBRA, and tied well into the blurb on the back of the ROCC's box.