9 back card variant [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : 9 back card variant

gutstheberserker
09-24-2005, 11:07 AM
On the 9 back cards, I am aware of the cobra commander sunburst offer and no offer variants, but I heard that there is also a card variant that does not make any mention of the "snap-on accessories" above the accessory bubble. I think this is a true card variant. Here are some examples from the cardback archive.

Short Fuze with "interchangeable snap on ...." writing above accessory bubble

http://www.yojoe.com/cardback/82/shortfuze9back.shtml

Snake Eyes w/o that language

http://www.yojoe.com/cardback/82/se9back.shtml

The one I was familiar with was a 9 back stalker that didn't have it written on there. Anybody know anything about this?

dmooretoys
09-24-2005, 12:41 PM
I just won another lot of 9-back cardbacks recently so I checked them for this variant. All of my new 9-backs have the "snap-on" text on them. However, I now have 9-back Snake-Eyes cardbacks with and without the text. The Snake-Eyes card without the text is the one you used as your example. Even though the bubble was torn off that card it is obvious it never had the text because the top of the text on the other card starts straight across from Snake-Eyes finger. Also, I compared both cards side by side and the missing text is the ONLY difference in the cards. Both cards on the bottom right (front) say 6100 asst,. and both cards on the bottom left (back) say 156401.

Just so you can see them I scanned both Snake-Eyes 9-Backs side by side. Of course some of the cards were cut off in the scan but you can see where the text lines up w/ SEs finger on the one and is missing on the other. The scan of the backs is just to prove they are both 9-backs.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dmooretoys/detail?.dir=1b2d&.dnm=58ed.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dmooretoys/detail?.dir=1b2d&.dnm=9c3f.jpg&.src=ph

I wish yahoo didn't shrink them so much. If you need bigger scans let me know.

Dan

danielmd06
09-25-2005, 11:24 AM
I was never aware of this particular variant. Which came first? The 9-back cards without the "snap-on language?" Also interesting is the fact that the numbers on the cards are identical.

You guys did an excellent job catching this subtle difference. Thanks for sharing.

dmooretoys
09-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Yeah, 1982 is my favorite year for collecting so I want to know everything there is about it as well. Thanks for bringing this to my attention guts.

Incidentally, the 11-back Snake Eyes cardback I have has the "snap-on" text and the exact same numbers on the card.

I wonder which was first, cards with the text or cards without the text?

So now from 1982 we have :

9-Backs with "snap-on" text

9-Backs without "snap-on" text

9-Backs with Cobra Commander Offer

11-Backs

I wonder if there are any others from 1982? I'd like to compare some of the CC Offer cards to see if there is variant text on those as well, but unfortunately I don't have ANY of those yet. Still looking!

Dan

gutstheberserker
09-25-2005, 02:28 PM
I heard the no text was first but can't verify that. I checked all of my MOC 9 backs and all of them had the text on there, so the no text must be rarer than the text version.

bigjohnwoo
09-25-2005, 02:32 PM
I just checked. My 9-backs all have the text as well.

jabba the drunk
09-25-2005, 03:08 PM
Great observation, guts! This is major difference and very interesting! :)

Dan, thanks for the thorough investigation and side-by-side comparison of the Snake-Eyes.

My 9-Backs also have the "Snap On" text. I would assume that the "No Snap On" writing cards would have been first (if there was a true printing production change). I say this as we know that the "Snap On" text continued into the 11-backs. Reasoning would assume that the 11-Backs were built-upon/a continuance of the then-existing 9-Backs.

So, it wouldn't make much sense that the (1.) 9-Backs were released with the "Snap On" (2.) The "Snap On" text was removed somewhere during 9-Back production, and (3.) It was decided that the "Snap On" text should be added back on for the 11-Backs.

So, put my vote in for the "No Snap On" writing versions theoretically being earlier versions.

Now...find some other 9-Backs without the "Snap On" wording!!! :D

-Peter

gutstheberserker
09-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Thanks, man. I tend to agree with you that the no writing came first.

vettfanatic
09-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Well you guys got me running to check my 9-backs. The only one I have MOC without the "snap on" wording is Breaker. So i'd say these are definitely the harder versions to find. Nice catch Trent.

gutstheberserker
09-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Actually, I can't take the credit because either cobra-emprie or jonas brought it to my attention and then I started looking at my stuff. Any desire to sell that Breaker -- lol

vettfanatic
09-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Actually, I can't take the credit because either cobra-emprie or jonas brought it to my attention and then I started looking at my stuff. Any desire to sell that Breaker -- lol

No I think I better hang on to it for a while until I see some more of these.:p

danielmd06
09-25-2005, 08:27 PM
I would assume that the "No Snap On" writing cards would have been first (if there was a true printing production change). I say this as we know that the "Snap On" text continued into the 11-backs. Reasoning would assume that the 11-Backs were built-upon/a continuance of the then-existing 9-Backs.

This was precisely my line of reasoning. It is logical and also dovetails with the information that others have just recently supplied about the relative scarcity of the 9-backs without the "snap-on" writing.

It will be interesting to see the final analysis of this. Again, great job on catching this guys!

vettfanatic
10-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Hey I just found this auction on ebay that has a Stalker cardback missing the text.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GI-Joe-1982-Stalker-MOC_W0QQitemZ6009856056QQcategoryZ2467QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

To bad its a reseal or or that would be one heck of a deal. The $100 BIN is way to much for a resealed card, although I really want the cardback.:(

RRL75
11-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Mark Huckabone actually pointed out the difference to me about a year ago. He had a Stalker and maybe a Grunt that didn't have the "snap on..." I checked all my existing 9 backs at the time and all of them had the printing including a Two-Handled Zap which is theoretically a very early piece. I just received an AFA 80 Stalker today from a seller and it happened to be the earlier version without the "snap on" so it seems that he may be the most common if such a designation could be made. Perhaps the change on Stalker wasn't made at the same time as the others since he didn't have a helmet or backpack? Maybe that's what Hasbro thought of as "snap on accessories". I haven't been able to locate any Scarlett 9 backs in the last couple of years so it would be harder to check if she falls into the same category. Just some silly theories about the whole thing.

Howie

Taichiro
11-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Okay...this probably isn't the thread to post this in, but, have there been any carded examples of swivel figures on non-swivel cards?

I know the swivel was a big deal when they introduced it...and I was just wondering if that was a legitimate carded variant.....

This I Command!
12-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Just checked my MOC 9 back Grunt with the CC mail offer and its got the "Snap On" text...

uterglue
12-13-2005, 10:16 PM
I have short fuse, stalker and breaker full card versions without the writing and they have the 6100 number. All my other ones that have the writing are a higher number. None of these are MOC though (too bad) although I do have a Str8 arm MOC snake eyes on the way back from AFA that I have never checked for the writing. I'll let you know if it does or not.

dmooretoys
12-13-2005, 11:29 PM
I have short fuse, stalker and breaker full card versions without the writing and they have the 6100 number. All my other ones that have the writing are a higher number. None of these are MOC though (too bad) although I do have a Str8 arm MOC snake eyes on the way back from AFA that I have never checked for the writing. I'll let you know if it does or not.

Awesome! So these are full cardbacks? I am very interested in seeing these so could you email me at dmooretoys @ yahoo.com (remove the spaces) about them? I have a Snake Eyes full cardback w/o the text but it would be cool if yours is also missing the text since it would have complete art with the bubble still attached.

Dan

uterglue
12-16-2005, 02:34 AM
I just got the MOC Snake Eyes back from AFA and the results are very confusing: It has the interchangable... text but is also the 6100 number! Weird, i thougt all 6100s would not have the text. Maybe mine was right at the transition point from no text to text before the number change???

vettfanatic
12-16-2005, 08:14 PM
I just got the MOC Snake Eyes back from AFA and the results are very confusing: It has the interchangable... text but is also the 6100 number! Weird, i thougt all 6100s would not have the text. Maybe mine was right at the transition point from no text to text before the number change???

Hey is your Moc Snake Eyes with the 6100 number on a 9 back card?

uterglue
12-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Yep, its a 9-back!!!

vettfanatic
12-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Yep, its a 9-back!!!

I have a 82 Snake Eyes with the 6100 number, but its an 11 back.:confused:

All my other 1982 figures that have the 6100 number are 9-backs. All of the ones with the 6110 number are 11-backs.

Does anyone else have a 1982 figure with the 6100 number on an eleven back card?

vettfanatic
12-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Nevermind I just realized after looking in the cardback archive that certain figures have the 6100 number and others have the 6110 number. Whether there 9 or 11 back doesn't matter.

Snake Eyes
Short Fuze
Stalker
Breaker
Grunt

Zap
Scarlett
Rock n Roll
Flash

NewOrder
03-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Awesome! So these are full cardbacks? I am very interested in seeing these so could you email me at dmooretoys @ yahoo.com (remove the spaces) about them? I have a Snake Eyes full cardback w/o the text but it would be cool if yours is also missing the text since it would have complete art with the bubble still attached.

Dan

There is currently an example of a pre "Snap-ON" text carded figure on ebay right now: Snake Eyes 9-back (http://cgi.ebay.com/GI-Joe-1982-Series-1-9-back-Snake-Eyes-MOC-AFA-75_W0QQitemZ6044292765QQcategoryZ2467QQcmdZViewIte m).

I'm surprised that AFA made the designation "No Snap on Text." That's actually pretty cool.

dmooretoys
03-24-2006, 10:42 PM
I am now 100% convinced the missing "snap-on" text variants were the first cards issued. It finally dawned on me that the 1982 Hasbro catalog has a picture of two of the figures carded. It is a small picture but I tried to blow it up a little and here is the pic with both cards:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dmooretoys/detail?.dir=1b2d&.dnm=37f9.jpg&.src=ph

That's still hard to see but here is a close-up of just Grunt:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dmooretoys/detail?.dir=1b2d&.dnm=162b.jpg&.src=ph

Obviously the snap-on text is missing above the bubble and the only text there is the list of accessories. The items pictured in this catalog were the very first issues so as I said I am 100% convinced the missing text came first.

Dan

dmooretoys
03-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Bumping to see if additional information surfaces...

Dan

Mark W. Bellomo
04-20-2007, 09:17 AM
...and loose 1982 cardbacks, I also believe that the earliest releases were with the no "snap on" text, while later 9-back releases had the text added.

-- MWB