Vintage Scarlett filecard variation [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Vintage Scarlett filecard variation

gutstheberserker
09-25-2005, 02:32 PM
As I was reading Ron's International Action Figure Archive book, on page 39, he says "If you are a filecard collector then you are certainly aware of the rare American Scarlett filecard that uses the Cover Girl image..." I had never heard of this until I read it so I wanted to ask you guys if you have ever seen this on the American cards.

And once again, great book Ron -- I've probably looked at it for over 6 hours now and still find something new everytime.

bigjohnwoo
09-25-2005, 02:41 PM
I ran across this too wandering in the archives once. Here's what Yojoe has to say about it:

http://www.yojoe.com/archive/unknown/scarlettfilecard.shtml

danielmd06
09-25-2005, 08:22 PM
I noticed this in the Archives once. I presupposed that this was a one-of-a-kind (or at least extremely rare) misprint on the part of Hasbro.

My reasoning? In the late 1990's, I found more than one carded character with either (1) the incorrect filecard on the cardback or (2) incorrect picture with the correct filecard on the cardback.

Unless there are multiple examples of these Covergirl/Scarlett filecards, I think it is safe to assume that Hasbro simply made an error.

thunt4
10-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Actually its not an error its a mail in from hasbro. I used to have one but don't anymore. Its one that came with scarlett in a baggy with the file card packaged.

airedevon
10-01-2005, 10:27 AM
I have 2 of the Scarlett/Cover Girl filecards. One of them is a mail-away error and the other is cut from a Canadian release Scalett cardback.

I don't know if the mail away error was Canada specific (like the cardback) or if it was also available as a mail away in the US.

Perhaps Shane might know!

Aire

Tattoo Shane
10-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Aire, i've always thought the Scarlett/Cover Girl card was available on a Canadaian card but i haven't seen one in person so i'm afraid i can't answer your question.

But i do know for a fact that there's no way that a printing error could be a one-off. The cardback creation process makes it impossible for such a thing to occur.

airedevon
10-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Shane, Hi! Thanks for replying! You're right, the Covergirl filecard does exist on a Canadian cardback (I have one). I can send you a pic if you would like!

By mail away error - I mean the error was putting Covergirl on the picture part of the filecard instead of Scarlett... :-) I didn't mean to imply a slip of the printing machine! :-) Sorry if I was not clear about that!

I consider the Canadian cardback with the Covergirl picture an error as well - (I sure don't think they did it on purpose :-) But heh! Who knows?

I guess to avoid confusion, I should not say "error" - as that can have a different connotation (as opposed to variation).. I guess I think of it as a variation filecard that has an error (like the Red Star filecard with the Cobra logo)

Does anyone know if this particular mailaway variation (error) Scarlett/ Covergirl filecard was sent to addresses in the US? Or was it only sent to addresses in Canada?

Thanks!!!
Aire

Tattoo Shane
10-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Aire...i'd love a pic! You know the address. ;)

And i was referring to one of the above posts about the error comment. Sorry if you thought i meant yours. I agree that overall this is considered an error, it's just impossible for there to be only one of these errors printed.

danielmd06
10-04-2005, 06:58 PM
But i do know for a fact that there's no way that a printing error could be a one-off. The cardback creation process makes it impossible for such a thing to occur.

I agree with your assessment about a single example not being possible - but I never dreamed that these were printed in substantial (i.e. thousands in a production run) amounts. I assumed that in original production there were merely a handful of these at best with perhaps fewer than a dozen currently extant filecards.

I certainly believe that you know more about this than I do, Shane. How many of these do you think exist?

Tattoo Shane
10-04-2005, 07:37 PM
I certainly believe that you know more about this than I do, Shane. How many of these do you think exist?

I honestly would hesitate to spearhead a guess. I think first of all we'd have to find out exactly how these were distributed.

-Mail Away
-Carded Figure
-Both
-The same for above but Canadian

I personally think that these would have been used as a mail away but if a Canadian example exists from a cut cardback, then it's entirely possible that they came that way in the US as well. I just find the whole thing odd because even if the original art had been misplaced, surely the cromalins and proof cards would have been available to Hasbro for reprinting, especially if the figure was in production until 1985 as the Archive suggests.

The only thing i can think of is that something happened to all the pre-production material and they went this route for the latest possible release and for the mail away. But these are (reasonably) educated guesses at best. I'd love to hear other theories or see some hard evidence that can prove it one way or the other.

thunt4
10-09-2005, 04:14 PM
I am about 100% sure the scarlett mail in was american. I no longer own one but i used to. I can't remember what year it came out weather its a straight or swivel arm. Keep in mind the grandslam had a silver padded photo on his as well so as why to hasbro did this its really up to them. I have seen a few but i really doubt there are many out there

dmooretoys
12-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Finally won the Canadian version at least:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6023631770&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I haven't received this filecard yet but the seller says the back has the package art on it so this would not be from a mail-in but rather a full card. Now all I need is the American version...

Dan

danyanda
12-19-2005, 05:09 PM
That was a HECK of a deal!

Druss
12-20-2005, 08:03 AM
Wow I somehow missed this thread when it first came up.

This FileCard is still my one true cool find in the Joe World. I have the Filecard in the Archives, it came from a original owner collection and after seeing the cardback and posting on the old Mailing list about it and realizing it was a bit odd I asked the owner some questions about the item.

He did verify it was from a X-Mas Mail-away but didn't know which store it came from. In the same collection are a large amount of other mail-away cards so this leads me to believe he was correct.

And as I have the Scarlett that came with said card she is in fact a Swivel Arm version.

airedevon
12-20-2005, 11:48 AM
I sent these pics to Shane back when this post first appeared, but at the time, I didn't know how to use imageshack so I couldn't post them on the thread. The US ones in the picture are mail-aways. The Canadian one was from a cardback...

Anyone know if this filecard was also available as a Canadian mail-away?

Congrats, Dan on finding one of these! They are kind of cool! :-)

[img=http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/6077/scarlettfronttopost8jw.th.jpg] (http://img468.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scarlettfronttopost8jw.jpg)

[img=http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/4783/scarlettbacktopost4eg.th.jpg] (http://img468.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scarlettbacktopost4eg.jpg)

Tattoo Shane
12-20-2005, 02:01 PM
I don't think this would have been used as a Cdn mail-away. The only time Scarlett was offered in this fashion was by Sears in the 82 Wishbook and if there is any variant to that card it would be the Grand Prairie birthplace and not the artwork.

airedevon
12-20-2005, 03:19 PM
OK - Cool, Shane! Thanks for that info! (That makes my life easier ;-)

Aire

tarz_an2003
12-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Aire!

Please sell me that loose, rare U.S. red-backed Scarlett variant/error file card to me puh-LeeEEEze... heHe

Does anybody else out there have a spare they're willing to trade or sell off??? I promise it'll be going to a really good home~

:p

-An

thunt4
12-20-2005, 11:42 PM
I think it may actually be a jcpenneys figure. I know sears had scarlett on the bubble and I was thinking the bagged one came from jcpenneys. If you check what the asst number is we could look in the catalog and find out

AlternateUniverse Steeler
01-17-2006, 02:56 AM
O_O

I must kill you.;)
Good deal. Nice job on nailing down a rare variant.

danielmd06
01-17-2006, 01:45 PM
I sent these pics to Shane back when this post first appeared, but at the time, I didn't know how to use imageshack so I couldn't post them on the thread.

Thanks for adding the pictures, Aire.