Explosion Characters On 20-Back Explosion Cardbacks? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Explosion Characters On 20-Back Explosion Cardbacks?

jabba the drunk
09-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering...have any of figures for characters who were concealed with the "explosions" on the backs of the 1983 20-Back "Explosion Back" cards, ever been found mounted on this very same cardback?

For example: Have the figures Destro, Torpedo, Trip Wire, or Major Bludd ever been found with 20-Explosion Backs?

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge or pics of this ever occurring? Thanks for reading and for your replies.

-Peter

gutstheberserker
09-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Not that I'm aware of -- its just the original 11 plus cc.

danielmd06
09-25-2005, 08:15 PM
The only confirmed 1983 "Explosion back" carded characters were the original eleven 1982 characters plus Cobra Commander.

Much confusion has been created on this topic because of the errors printed in Lee's Toy Guide. Certain characters (such as Gung Ho and Snow Job) are listed as being Explosion backs. To the best of my knowledge, no examples of these have surfaced.

Destro, Major Bludd, Torpedo, Snow Job, Doc, Tripwire, Gung Ho, and Airborne were originally released on 20-back cards in 1983.

bigjohnwoo
09-25-2005, 08:37 PM
I think we should just put our foot down and say Lee's is wrong. We know more about this than they do.

Daniel, you're the one that confirmed the Cobra Soldier and Cobra Officer explosion backs back in the earlier explosion back thread. They're the only two I've never seen. I asked Tom Derby (Cloud City, AFA, etc) about them at the San Diego Comicon, and he said that he'd never seen them confirmed. Are we sure that they exist?

gutstheberserker
09-25-2005, 09:34 PM
I think this is worth revisiting. I know for a fact that Stalker, Short Fuze, Breaker, CC, Grunt, and Snake Eyes exist. A seller once told me that he had seen a Cobra Soldier, Flash, and Scarlett, but I have no other confirmation of this. I thought I had pics of a Flash but it was a Grunt instead. It would make sense that the original 11 and cc would have them on there given that so many of the first release have them.

On the 87s, I know I've seen all of them except the Crazylegs and CC Battle Armor versions. I wonder why it's only those 7 figures on the 87 line?

keg_daddy
09-25-2005, 09:54 PM
There was a Scarlett explosion back on Ebay awhile ago. It was relisted 2 times (I think the seller made extra user names and bid them up hoping to get more money). The third time the seller put it up for auction, it sold. I offered him a little over $300 for it when I figured the buyer didn't pay and he said he'd rather put it up for auction. The bubble was yellowed, was cut/torn and damaged around the feet area. I figured if AFA would grade it, it would grade a 60-70.

I have a Scarlett explosion back card. The same seller I bought my Scarlett from had a Cobra Officer explosion back plus a few other 1983 explosion backs. The filecards were cutout and the figures were removed and then taped back into place, but there is no denying them as explosion back cards.

There was a CC Battle Armor on Ebay awhile ago with the bubble slowly separating and the seller claimed AFA checked it out at a show and said it would grade an 85. I think he said that so he'd get more money. It didn't look like an 85 to me.

danielmd06
09-25-2005, 10:18 PM
Daniel, you're the one that confirmed the Cobra Soldier and Cobra Officer explosion backs back in the earlier explosion back thread. They're the only two I've never seen. I asked Tom Derby (Cloud City, AFA, etc) about them at the San Diego Comicon, and he said that he'd never seen them confirmed. Are we sure that they exist?

I have seen a Cobra Soldier Explosion back on ebay in the last two or three years.

I have never personally seen a Cobra Officer Explosion back, but Patrick ("mslumaster") claims to have seen one that was offered up on ebay. He also remembered the aforementioned Cobra Soldier, so I don't think he confused the two.

For the 1987 line, I have seen a Battle Armor Cobra Commander and recollect a certain member saying that he had an example of a Crazylegs.

bigjohnwoo
09-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Okay. Sorry to have doubted.

dmooretoys
10-01-2005, 12:16 AM
Believe me, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for both explosion backs and 1982 "snap-on, stay-on" text variations so I'll let everybody know if/when I locate these.

Dan

TYPE*S*TOYS
06-11-2010, 11:02 PM
just felt like rehasing an old thread regarding these just to confirm that the Cobra Officer Explosion back does exist.

http://joeparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=274_275&products_id=6198

JoeToyFan
06-13-2010, 05:36 AM
I picked up a Law and Order & a Crystal Ball expolsion back uncut file cards a few months ago.

SnakeEater
06-20-2010, 11:05 PM
I'll be getting some super rare MOC minty unpunched Explosion back figures like gung-ho, doc, cobra officer, cobra soldier, and much more later this week or early next week. I will be posting pictures to confirm these items do exist and they are 100% authentic Hasbro Original VINTAGE GI Joe figures. SO keep your eyes peeled and be ready to be amazed and astonished! Yo Joe!

SnakeEater
06-21-2010, 07:06 AM
Also wanted to add that I will be asking for some help from fellow board members on pricing for some of these figures as I plan to sell the doubles form the large MOC collection I am picking up later this week. Just waiting to sign the papers on the loan is all.

SnakeEater
07-03-2010, 01:00 PM
For those of you who don't think some of these figures exist with explosion backs take a look. I always knew these were real and now this proves it.

SnakeEater
07-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Also as you can see I put a 20 back Gung-Ho next to the Explosion back 1st release to varify that these are legitimate hasbro toys and not repro garbage KO stuff. I hope everyone enjoys the figures and if you have any questions feel free to email me at goodkidcomix@yahoo.com. Thank you.