Sigma Fans.... am I the only one? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Sigma Fans.... am I the only one?

saint99
09-27-2005, 03:24 AM
I have seen a lot of posts with people saying they dislike or won't purchase the Sigma 6 line. I was one of them... but I picked up Snake-Eyes and Heavy Duty and I have to say they completly won me over. Is there any one else out there who has picked them up who feels the same?

The Buffalo Soldier
09-27-2005, 06:18 AM
Not me... I hate Sigma Six, particularly in terms of the scale and the distorted proportions. They are just plain incompatible with what I collect and they don't represent in any way where I want to see Hasbro taking the GI Joe toy line. I understand that Hasbro is catering (but also pandering) to kids, but I think they could have found a more imaginative and creative solution which would have satisfied both kids and collectors.

thewyseone
09-27-2005, 06:32 AM
i might pick some up.the presentation in the packaging in very nice.but i might wait for them to go on sale at kb.;)

curmudgeon
09-27-2005, 08:52 AM
I am in love with the Storm Shadow figure. It is awesome version of him, true to the original, extremely poseable and comes with great accessories. Everyone I showed it to at work was completely wowed by it.

I still love the 3 3/4 versions more than any other version, but I am definitely going back and picking up Spirit, Duke and possibly Heavy Duty in the next few days (I bought Snake-eyes along with SS). They are going to look great posed around my computer at work.

thoughtcrime
09-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Not me. I don't collect ugly dolls. I can understand Hasbro's desire to change the scale, but I'd have preferred if these were done like Marvel Legends.

Clutch II
09-27-2005, 09:33 AM
well at the rate the ones at the TRU near me are collecting dust they might not be worth picking up when at 90% discount :eek:

ChemViper
09-27-2005, 09:39 AM
I wanted to pick up at least SS and Spirit, but they are sold out at 3 TRU's near my lab When will other retailers pick them up?

yojoebro82
09-27-2005, 10:00 AM
I've been this close to getting the Storm Shadow on more than one occasion. I'll probably end up getting one eventually. :o

Lody
09-27-2005, 10:16 AM
I am in the same boat...despite S6 but I actually like the Storm Shadow..something about it and the cloth outfit...but 14.99...I dunno...coulda got a SE/SS 12 inch two pack for like 7 bucks

Druss
09-27-2005, 11:04 AM
The problem is most of the people are here because they collected the 3 3/4" guys as kids. Its the same concept that not many 12" joe Collectors buy the 3 3/4" stuff, its just not what drew them to the hobby and as such not their interest.

Freudiandave
09-27-2005, 11:25 AM
I picked up S6 Duke, and I love this figure. They're very detailed, and I can tell Hasbro put a lot of thought into getting these things right. My only gripe so far has been with the lack of a figure stand! I've come to the conclusion that if it's down to an entire DTC wave, or two S6 figs, I'll probably go for the S6 figures. Quality over quantity, in my book.

Bravo
09-27-2005, 12:38 PM
No interest. I've seen them. The whole reason I ever got into GI JOE was the fact the figures were the same scale as Star Wars. That's the ideal scale for me.

Besides, they replaced 3 3/4" at retail, I'm not gonna support that. Heck, there's DTC stuff I haven't gotten, most of it in fact. If I'm gonna support GI JOE, I'll get that stuff.

Patrick A. Riley
09-27-2005, 01:27 PM
Price is too way much and they're too closer to 12" dolls than 3 3/4" figures

Kir Kanos
09-27-2005, 02:29 PM
I saw the line at TRU last week, and it was what I expected.

I also noticed the accessories. Now why can't they have a variety of accessories like these for 3.75" figs? Let's induct the Tomax/Xamot gun into the GIJOE Accessory Hall of Fame, retire its jersey, and get some new ones.

bigklop
09-27-2005, 02:45 PM
I was reserving judgement until I had them in hand......at a store. Once I did that, I decided to buy snake eyes and heavy duty. And I'm glad I did. These figures are VERY cool, and I will probably be picking up the rest sooner or later. I LOVE heavy duty. I actually think snake eyes is the weak link of the wave 1 figures. I agree though, they are too big. If these figures were marvel legends size and around $7.99 or so, they would be the hottest line on the market right now, no questions asked.

statesofeuphoria
09-27-2005, 03:37 PM
I just got the Snake Eyes...I had reservations, the pics were ugly, the figures were ugly,etc. Now that I saw them in person looked at the accessories and actually bought a figure, I can say they are DEFINATELY worth the money. Nothing can replace the 3 3/4 " Joes but these are very nice. The accessories are what sold me, and the packaging is the best of any line I have ever seen. My biggest gripe is they didn't come with a stand.. and I can't figure out who to get next. :)
The Ninja Cycle is also very cool, turns into a hovercraft and comes with a load of weapons. I was one of the nay-sayers, but now I see the light. I hope the show is a hit, because I can see great potential in this line, as long as they don't go repaint crazy.

thunderviper
09-27-2005, 03:39 PM
I think it's the odd-ball size they went with. Like somone else said, i like to put other like-sized figures together. As it stands, i can only think of one type of figure that goes with these, scale-wise, and that's Japanese 1/8 scale dolls.

6" would have been the optimum scale for these me thinks. That said though, if they make a great Baroness and Jinx, i'd bite.

And by god they need to smash that damn Tomax/Xamot gun mold and cast the pieces into the ocean. God, i hate that accessory.

heavy_water
09-27-2005, 07:50 PM
I for one would sooner buy the anatomically correct doll of Archie Bunker's grandson (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5606767530&category=334) than purchase any Sigma Six figures.

Clutch II
09-27-2005, 08:05 PM
i'd rather buy the H.A.S. 6 pack instead of Sigma 6 :D

ouch thats gotta hurt :cool:

Weird Cat
09-27-2005, 08:27 PM
I think they are grrrrrr eat

TheReverend
09-27-2005, 08:33 PM
I really do like the style & design of the figures.

I thought I was going to buy, at least a couple of them, at first sight. But after holding a couple packages in my hands, and really looking them over, I'm sort of undecided.

The cost is a factor, I could always invest that cash in more RAH joes.

I may still pick up a figure or two...I'm just not sure any more:rolleyes:

The Buffalo Soldier
09-27-2005, 08:53 PM
I think it's the odd-ball size they went with.

I agree, 8" is just a weird size. I collect both 12" and 3" size GI Joe and Star Wars figures, and I also have a smaller collection of 6" McFarlane (Spawn, X-Files, Austin Powers) figures, but 8"? ...WTF is that??? No, it just doesn't fit into the scheme of things. If I wanted a medium sized GI Joe type figure I would probably buy one of those McFarlane military figures before I would buy anything from the Sigma Six line. At least the McFarlane stuff looks realistic and the proportions are believable, even though the articulation is limited. As a 12" collector I'm spoiled on super-articulation, so in that regard the Sigma Six stuff is actually a step backward from what I expect. They have more limited articulation than most of my 12" figures.

Clutch II
09-27-2005, 09:27 PM
the line up at my local TRU
http://www.maj.com/gallery/asterios/TRU/dsc01046.jpg

and thats whats been there since they got em too.

estanley1974
09-27-2005, 09:32 PM
I like them. I view them as not a replacement for the original Joes, but just another interpretation of a great toy line....However, they better keep pumping out the 3 3/4" figures.

YELSEW
09-27-2005, 09:47 PM
I like them, but I am not paying that much money for them. Furthermore, I am strictly a 3 3/4" collector, so these "big figures" or "dolls" or whatever they may be don't fit in to my current collecting goals.

toy-nutz
09-27-2005, 10:25 PM
I agree, 8" is just a weird size. I collect both 12" and 3" size GI Joe and Star Wars figures, and I also have a smaller collection of 6" McFarlane (Spawn, X-Files, Austin Powers) figures, but 8"? ...WTF is that??? No, it just doesn't fit into the scheme of things. If I wanted a medium sized GI Joe type figure I would probably buy one of those McFarlane military figures before I would buy anything from the Sigma Six line. At least the McFarlane stuff looks realistic and the proportions are believable, even though the articulation is limited. As a 12" collector I'm spoiled on super-articulation, so in that regard the Sigma Six stuff is actually a step backward from what I expect. They have more limited articulation than most of my 12" figures.

Actually they are just as articulated as the Classic Collection body. With an upper chest articulation. These are close to Super Joe style. They are not that bad really. I picked up Spirit and Storm Shadow. Spirit is great, his bow and arrows are very Adventure Team. I would of liked to see these as 12" figures or 3 3/4" though. I will get the others, but I need the next set of 40th from the club first, then the club Black Adventurer, and then DTC wave 2. So in other words, they are not a priority, but I want them!!

Michael Richards
Bulletman Big B
All Hail DOB!!

Mr Rage
09-27-2005, 10:26 PM
I went to one of the TRUs in my area just to see if they had them in. I was surprised to see them in person cause the online pics do not do them justice. They're like the new MOTU figures but with a little more articulation. I knew I wanted to buy Storm Shadow but they didn't have him in. I saw the little machine gun for S6. I thought it was pretty cool...I might get my son one. I then went to another TRU on the other side of town (thank goodness I live in a town that it only takes 15 minutes to get from one side to another). I found the SS there & picked him immediately. These figures are a lot better than I thought they were going to be.
I'll be getting Snake Eyes & I might pick up Heavy Duty & Duke for my son.

Mr Rage

CGC
09-27-2005, 10:34 PM
So far, we've gotten most figs/vehicles shown in the S6 cartoon in the 3" scale, we've seen a CC that is nearly identical by a Japanese ebayer, & we've heard rumors of many other S6 things being released in our scale. I'd have to say that even though Hasbro is targeting a younger audience with the anime styling and larger new 8" figures, they are still doing an awful lot to satisfy the 3" old timers.

I plan to buy a couple of the 8" figs when the right ones are released, I've watched all the new cartoons that have aired so far, & also plan to continue to watch them. So, even though I am definately a 3" collector, I suppose I'd also fall into the category of "S6 fan".

tiger_45
09-28-2005, 12:21 AM
I will pick them up when they go on sale.

Clutch II
09-28-2005, 12:24 AM
when their 90% off i'll think about it ;)

The Buffalo Soldier
09-28-2005, 07:34 AM
Actually they are just as articulated as the Classic Collection body. With an upper chest articulation. These are close to Super Joe style. They are not that bad really.

Eh, Super Joe sucked, and the Classic Collection body is outdated. By comparison to modern 12" super-articulated bodies produced by companies like 21st Century, Dragon, BBI, M&C Power Team, and even Hasbro in recent years, Sigma Six articulation is a step backwards.

thoughtcrime
09-28-2005, 08:21 AM
Side note: that Archie Bunker's grandson doll will haunt my nightmares for years to come.

I've made a few stupid Joe purchases recently (Kamakura with bike, HAS) but I wont go near S6. If you like them, great, they are not close to anything I enjoy collecting.

The ones at my TRU dont seem to be moving either.

whitedalek
09-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Eh, Super Joe sucked, .

Why the hate for Bulletman! :D I saw the S6 figs yesterday at a TRU for the first time, and I have to admit, they look freaking great. I almost bought one, but decided to wait. Actually, they've been moving pretty good in my area - there were only 3 figures on the shelf and a lot of empty space.

The Buffalo Soldier
09-28-2005, 01:26 PM
I actually don't hate Bulletman. Super Joe and Bulletman are two different things. Bulletman was introduced during the late part of the Adventure Team era and was 12" tall. Super Joe was a different toy line all together and was 8" tall.

statesofeuphoria
09-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Speaking of which...Hey mods, can we get a separate listing for S6 discussion?
Just a thought. I'm pretty stoked about this line. I haven't been this exited over GI Joe in YEARS. I feel like I did in 82.

thorn
09-28-2005, 06:09 PM
i want heavy duty, but my 12 " ss and SE do me fine. overall, i couldnt get into the mfull on, but one or two figs, totally.
heavy duty looks pretty cool

Rotty
09-28-2005, 09:33 PM
The haters seem to be thinking of the 8" figures as an either/or proposition, because Hasbro was stupid enough to announce the removal of "our" line from retail at the time they unveiled these.

3.75" figures are small. They were created by Takara in 1974 so that decent-sized vehicles could be made in-scale with the figures without retailers balking.

The "Sigma 6" 8" figures are the same characters we love, scaled up to build the play pattern around the figure with his wide variety of character-specific accessories that come with a cool locker, rather than around figures and their simple accessories interacting with vehicles.

If you only like the vehicle/playset-centric play pattern or want to budget yourself to only buying action figures in the size you've been collecting, there's nothing wrong with that. These figures aren't for you. They were created to offer a different kind of play value to kids, and they sure do have a lot of play value.

Don't hate the toys because the retailer market required that Hasbro change its plan of having $5-7 3.75" Robot Rebellion/Sigma 6 GI Joe figures sold next to the $10 and $15 8" figures. The lack of a $5-7 price point filled by the 3.75" figures clearly isn't the situation they wanted, but was dictated by weak sales and Wal-Mart policy.

Clutch II
09-28-2005, 10:53 PM
ok 2 things:

1:i don't hate the Sigma 6 because of size i hate them cause their dorky looking and totally tonka looking

2:what has Wal-Mart policy got to do with anything?

Rotty
09-28-2005, 11:16 PM
ok 2 things:

1:i don't hate the Sigma 6 because of size i hate them cause their dorky looking and totally tonka looking

I have no idea what "totally Tonka looking" means. They're hefty yellow toy trucks?

2:what has Wal-Mart policy got to do with anything?

When you see toys at a store, that means the maker (in this case Hasbro) isn't selling them to you, it's selling them to retail chains. Wal-Mart is by far the largest purchaser of toys in North America. Wal-Mart had a longstanding policy to only keep a few pegs of 3.75" GI Joe action figures for the purpose of associating the brand with the much lower-priced Corps! figures from Lanard that they prefer because of costs. Even with their low shelf allotment, they still bought more of the figures than any other retailer, and made clear to Hasbro that they were only interested in buying 2-packs, not single-carded figures. Thus the lowest price point for GI Joes was higher than some figure lines like Transformers, reducing the number of impulse buys made by parents at all retailers.

Between the $7-8 minimum price point outside of the few chains that carried the single-carded figures, the lack of a cartoon or movie to advertise the toys, and Wal-Mart's disinterest in the line's vehicles (which as I explained, have always been key to the play pattern), GI Joe was never able to break, IIRC, 10th place in action figure sales. Hasbro is a publically-traded company, and when something isn't working, publically-traded companies either change what they're doing or the owners withdraw their money (via the mechanism of selling their stock shares).

So is it understandable why Hasbro couldn't make a decent profit by offering retailers $7-8 MSRP 3.75" figure 2-packs to go next to the $10 8" figures?

Clutch II
09-28-2005, 11:30 PM
well so far from what i've seen TRU is the only store that now sells G.I.Joe or Sigma 6 so i repeat how does Walmart fit into this?also Walmarts near me had the 2 packs.

Clutch II
09-28-2005, 11:34 PM
by the way WalMart isn't the company you should be thinking of more to the point you should be looking at TRU they forced Hasbro to make them another 6-pack(H.A.S.)which explains the garbage job Hasbro gave them furthermore the 6-packs figured out at the same rate as the 2-packs in cost,furthermore the reason Hasbro did the 2 packs is because other companies offer singles cheaper so Hasbro had to make theirs look better.

whitedalek
09-29-2005, 04:26 PM
well so far from what i've seen TRU is the only store that now sells G.I.Joe or Sigma 6 so i repeat how does Walmart fit into this?also Walmarts near me had the 2 packs.

As Rotty stated, Wal-Mart only wanted the 2-packs, not any single packs. Plus, as Walmart vastly outsells every other chain on the planet, if they are not carrying core product of your toy line (vehicles, no single packs, small amount of shelf space), then Hasbro has to do something to change the line so that it does sell successfully in Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is the big 1000 pound gorilla of retailers. They probably sell more in one day than TRU sells in a month.