Cobra Tank on ebay [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Cobra Tank on ebay

gutstheberserker
09-28-2005, 03:25 PM
I'm sure every one has seen this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6002205291&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Here's my question: is there any difference between the MOBAT and the Cobra Tank other than the color and the stickers. My thought is that this could easily be faked by just painting a MOBAT black. I think this one is probably real because of the seller but figured I'd ask.

Clutch II
09-28-2005, 03:35 PM
heres the Tank in question
http://www.yojoe.com/international/canada/cobratank.shtml

GBPackRat
09-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Not only can it be faked...

But the machine gun on the black mobat, is the same black one that comes with the '02 KB Crimson Attack Tank.

But none the less, a very neat find.

I'd assume also, this one is the real deal.

Tanner

Tattoo Shane
09-28-2005, 05:21 PM
It's the real deal - the seller is very reputable in the Canadian Star Wars community.

I don't think it'd be terribly easy to fake this - at least not if someone were looking at it in person. There's a lot of detail on the mobot mold and IMO, it'd be quite hard to distribute the paint even enough and cover all the detailed points at the same time. Not only that but you'd totally gum up the wheels with spray paint thereby detroying it's ability to function properly.

I think that no matter what there would still be some green spots on a repaitned example *somewhere* on the tank.

I'm still looking for a box for one if anyone has one to sell. ;)

red25thta
09-28-2005, 09:43 PM
It's the real deal - the seller is very reputable in the Canadian Star Wars community.

I don't think it'd be terribly easy to fake this - at least not if someone were looking at it in person. There's a lot of detail on the mobot mold and IMO, it'd be quite hard to distribute the paint even enough and cover all the detailed points at the same time. Not only that but you'd totally gum up the wheels with spray paint thereby detroying it's ability to function properly.

I think that no matter what there would still be some green spots on a repaitned example *somewhere* on the tank.

I'm still looking for a box for one if anyone has one to sell. ;)
Actually its pretty easy to take the Mobat apart to paint. I'll find the Pic's of the desert one that I did.

Also the seller is one of the contributor's to the Yojoe Archive.

Darko
09-29-2005, 05:35 AM
If the prospect of spray paint scares you, let me give you nightmares.

RIT Dye.

It's made me nervous about bidding on anything like this, especially since black is the easiest color to dye something and there's virtually no way to tell the difference between RIT dyed and factory paint in a case like this. You can't even scrape it off.

onPoint
10-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Hey everyone! So now that I have bought this gem, does anyone have any ideas how to verify its an original? Of course, I will look it over as best I can. And yes the seller is a reputable seller, but like you have all eluded to it could be a fake. Suggestions, comments, etc. welcomed.

starrcommand
10-04-2005, 11:09 AM
take a small cut off the plastic from inside the battery holder. Its not noticeable and you can tell if the plastic has been painted or not. Or if you want you can take it apart and take a cut off of a piece inside the tank where you cant see it at all. Thats about it

onPoint
10-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Yeah this is what I was thinking too. Thanks for the thoughts!

Falcone
10-04-2005, 12:46 PM
im not a fan of that tank, i dont like that its the exact same as a joe tank

Navajo
10-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Not only can it be faked...

But the machine gun on the black mobat, is the same black one that comes with the '02 KB Crimson Attack Tank.

But none the less, a very neat find.

I'd assume also, this one is the real deal.

Tanner

The gun tip on the KB CAT has a slot that's twice as long as an original mobat tip. To be safe I'd ask to see pics of the underbelly of the gun tip before buying. But at least there's a difference.

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/03/catII/parts.shtml

Like Shane said, there's way too many crevices and ruts to paint it evenly, the paint would eventually come off over time too. Take a look at the brass rivets on the belly of the tank, that'd be a sure fire place to see some phoney paint job.

Tattoo Shane
10-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Sorry to take this off topic briefly - Ken, i've sent you a couple emails recently. Have they gone through or has your email addy changed?

onPoint
10-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Navajo, thank you very much for the additional insight. It will definitely come in handy! :)

Navajo
10-04-2005, 06:48 PM
I haven't received any emails dude. Nothings changed on my front.