Forums Upgraded [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Forums Upgraded

Steve
10-01-2005, 09:56 AM
There was a major update done yesterday. Most of it the general users don't visually see but will see in performance. There has been a lot of new control features for the entire Forums Staff that will help us keep the forums running better and efficiently.

Here are a few highlights:

Database-Based Thread and Forum Read Marking

Now, instead of using cookies and inactivity timeouts to determine what should be considered unread versus read, we can now track this via the database.

Individual threads are considered read only if you have actually read them. Also, as soon as you have read all threads in a forum, it's light bulb will go out; no need to visit the forum list! You can also "Mark all Threads Read" on the Forum Home page.
There is now an option to use a image check for guests using the Contact Us form to reduce spam.
Calendar: Option for user to specify their own event start / end times. You select how long before an event that you would like to be reminded and we will send you an email reminding you.
Custom avatars and Profile pictures will be automatically resized to the maximim allowed image sizes (when possible).
Each attachment type has an "Open in New Window" option now.
Spell Check Support (IE only)There is always more than meets the eye...

NOTE: If you are having a problem, first try refreshing/reloading (CONTROL+F5 if you are using Firefox) as you may be seeing an old cached page rather than the new one. If that does not help, you can clear out your cache manually.

The Faceless Master
10-01-2005, 11:55 AM
very helpful info indeed, thanks Steve!!

sinnister
10-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Over the last few weeks, I have been getting this message quite often:

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Is this due to one of the 'upgrades'?

There doesnt seem to be an influx of the amount of users using the forum, registered or guest...

dockingbay97
10-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Over the last few weeks, I have been getting this message quite often:

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

I haven't been getting this at all (at home or work) - anyone else getting it?

bigjohnwoo
10-06-2005, 06:13 PM
I have a few times.

sinnister
10-06-2005, 06:20 PM
I haven't been getting this at all (at home or work) - anyone else getting it?

The first time I got it was at work several weeks ago. I figured it may have had something to do with the terrible netzero dialup they have there. Since that day, I have been getting the message at work and on both of my machines here at home.

Patrick A. Riley
10-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Nope. Was this message on the YoJoe site or a generic browser page?

sinnister
10-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Nope. Was this message on the YoJoe site or a generic browser page?

Yojoe. It had the banner and color scheme and everything at the top and just had that message.

orionlukteel
10-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Yojoe. It had the banner and color scheme and everything at the top and just had that message.

Same here - I'm getting it 5-6 times a day. Doesn't matter where i try to navigate, even to Private Messages.

Patrick A. Riley
10-06-2005, 08:48 PM
What times did you visit and get the message, your ISP, etc.? Try to see if there's something in common

sinnister
10-06-2005, 09:29 PM
There hasnt been really any set times. I work 3rd shift at work and browse the forums between 11pm and 6am EST. When I'm at home I'm on in the morning and afternoon. I have gotten the message fairly frequently during all times/places. My ISP is earthlink cable and at work it is netzero dialup.

Also, like Pat said. I have gotten it browsing the forums, in private messages, etc. Doesnt seem to be any specific action where it is happening.

Patrick A. Riley
10-07-2005, 11:10 AM
I just got the same vBulletin Message too on both IE and Firefox :p at 12:15pm EDT or 12:06 board time :rolleyes:

sinnister
10-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Same here...I kept trying to log in for about 5 minutes during that time and then just went downstairs and started cleaning up the garage.

crimsonhawk
10-07-2005, 01:14 PM
I've been getting the same message as Sinnister...not too bad until today. Also running firefox.

I'm going to clear my cache and see what happens.

Falcone
10-07-2005, 02:59 PM
i get it too

This I Command!
10-08-2005, 01:11 PM
One of the upgrades is causing a little problem for me...

When you go to edit a post now, you can no longer edit the title as well. This was useful to me before because in the buy/sell/trade forums rather than having a generic title where people read it and then never look again I would edit the title every time an update was made to the list to reflect the date so they would know it was current and new product had been added. Is there anything that can be done about that one, I know others in the classifieds used it for this too.

Patrick A. Riley
10-08-2005, 01:28 PM
One of the upgrades is causing a little problem for me...

When you go to edit a post now, you can no longer edit the title as well. This was useful to me before because in the buy/sell/trade forums rather than having a generic title where people read it and then never look again I would edit the title every time an update was made to the list to reflect the date so they would know it was current and new product had been added. Is there anything that can be done about that one, I know others in the classifieds used it for this too.
You can't edit the title of a post simply by using the Edit button, you have to use the "Go Advanced" button.

But you may be talking about this: the problem we noticed earlier this year is the inability to change the titles of some "old" threads. You can change the title of the first post in a thread you started, but the change will not be reflected in the thread title (aka: the text of the link and the title bar of the browser). Mods didn't help me with this before as they couldn't change it either

Example: I just edited the title of this "old" post: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=16497

It "was" New Joe Greenshirts names?
and I changed it to: Joe Greenshirts names?
but the change is not reflected in the link in the comics forum nor the title of the thread, just the title of the post which are normally the same, except after some undetermined time when the thread title is unable to be changed

The Faceless Master
10-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Same here...I kept trying to log in for about 5 minutes during that time and then just went downstairs and started cleaning up the garage.

I made a suggestion on THIS THREAD
about this "issue"

hopefully it works... :o

orionlukteel
10-08-2005, 01:45 PM
But you may be talking about this: the problem we noticed earlier this year is the inability to change the titles of some "old" threads. You can change the title of the first post in a thread you started, but the change will not be reflected in the thread title (aka: the text of the link and the title bar of the browser). Mods didn't help me with this before as they couldn't change it either

I asked about this middle of last year - seemed to be a hit or miss thing.

For a couple months, I was able to bump my wanted list and just change the thread title by editing the first post.

Then I got stuck with a specific date in the title and couldn't change it.
I don't think I can change a thread title now, even as a mod, but I'll have to check into it.

Now my thread title doesn't contain a date - it's just 'orionlukteel's Wanted List" and the first post is edited to reflect the date.

thorn
10-11-2005, 04:33 PM
the only thign i get is occasionally the site doesnt load, or takes forever to load
(a symptom the site is too busy) but then i hit reload and it works.
if you guys reload does it still say too busy?

orionlukteel
10-12-2005, 09:23 PM
the only thign i get is occasionally the site doesnt load, or takes forever to load
(a symptom the site is too busy) but then i hit reload and it works.
if you guys reload does it still say too busy?

Yup. Even after 4-5 reloads. Hasn't happened in the last day or two, but I haven't been on all that much in the past week, either.

roboticplanet
10-19-2005, 04:18 AM
I just noticed my PM's no longer ask if I want a confirmation receipt when sending messages. Was this a board change, or is it just me? I found that rather handy.

Snake-eyes01
10-19-2005, 11:55 AM
I've been getting both the "Server is too busy" & the slow loading problems every once in a while as well. I use only Firefox & have DSL, no certain times but I did notice it's worse in the afternoon.

dmooretoys
10-24-2005, 12:34 PM
I've been getting both the "Server is too busy" & the slow loading problems every once in a while as well. I use only Firefox & have DSL, no certain times but I did notice it's worse in the afternoon.
I just got the message about 10 times. I was in the process of replying to a thread and then the "server is too busy" box popped up. Eventually, I just had to try to go back in and retype the message and the same things happened.....finally it worked.

Two observations from this:

1) If you type a LONG response to someone's message make sure you "cut" it in case you lose it while trying to reply, and

2) Although the box pops up telling you the server is too busy at the moment the banner ads still pop up on the right...once a business, always a business, I guess.

Dan

dmooretoys
10-24-2005, 01:08 PM
2) Although the box pops up telling you the server is too busy at the moment the banner ads still pop up on the right...once a business, always a business, I guess.

Dan

Sorry, this was a cheap shot. I'm just frustrated because this error keeps happening to me this morning and has happened several times while I was trying to reply to a message.

I'm not exactly sure what changed but whatever it is it needs to be changed back. Did you guys decide to switch servers? I'm not even using the boards as much as I used to because that message is so annoying. Also, now I pick and choose which messages I reply to even more carefully now because I halfway expect to get the error response when I try to reply. I know other people are probably doing the same.

Now hitting the "submit reply" button with my fingers crossed hoping it will go through....

Dan

Jeff Bohn
10-24-2005, 04:20 PM
The server problem is currently being researched.

Jeff

The Faceless Master
10-25-2005, 12:23 PM
got it all morning long today...

wonder what causes it?? :confused:

sinnister
10-25-2005, 08:35 PM
No idea...it's irritating enough to render these forums all but useless to me. Upsetting when you want to check on something and the server is too busy for 15 or so minutes. Also, like Dan mentioned, when you type up a reply to something and it ends up being lost due to this problem. Is yojoe or AO cutting costs by going to a cheaper server?

The Faceless Master
10-25-2005, 08:41 PM
when you type up a reply to something and it ends up being lost due to this problem
All you would have to do is PAGE BACK and everything you typed would
still be there
SImply open up another browser, do some eBay browsing for like 5mins
and when you come back to the browser that has the yojoe response page
and Press Send Message!! :D

works for me ;)

sinnister
10-25-2005, 08:45 PM
True, but only if it lets you back into the forums in a decent amount of time. Sure I could just cut and paste it back but I'm usually so miffed by the time it lets me back in I'm just like forget it.

The Faceless Master
10-25-2005, 08:53 PM
True, but only if it lets you back into the forums in a decent amount of time. Sure I could just cut and paste it back but I'm usually so miffed by the time it lets me back in I'm just like forget it.
there is also a new session time out feature
to override that, just make sure you check the "remember me" box ;)

sinnister
10-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Yes, I'm aware of that as well. I've always had the box checked to 'remember me'. I believe someone mentioned it earlier in this thread as well but I may be mistaken.

Falcone
10-25-2005, 08:57 PM
its getting really bad

vettfanatic
10-25-2005, 10:03 PM
That "server is to busy" thing is starting to drive me nuts. It seems to be happening a lot more frequently.

Patrick A. Riley
10-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Got it last night at 11:15 pm EDT and 9:45am this morning for 5+ minutes.
At least the board time is closer to the correct time ;)

and again at 10:00 am and 10:15 am and intermittently between 11:00-11:05am

dockingbay97
10-26-2005, 09:47 AM
This is weird to me because I never get this message and I am checking the board all the time - at work and at home - on IE and FireFox.

Luke020681
10-26-2005, 10:06 AM
I keep getting the server is busy mesage a lot in the last 3 days.

whitedalek
10-26-2005, 10:32 AM
lol...I just got it right now while viewing this thread!

Jeff Bohn
10-27-2005, 05:46 AM
It should be better now, from the tech guy...

"Performance should be much improved and "too busy" signals should
become rare. LMK if they are not (theres a couple of scheduled
server jobs that raise load whether we like it or not but the
real load problem on the server has been dramatically fixed today)"

whitedalek
10-27-2005, 10:55 AM
It should be better now, from the tech guy...

"Performance should be much improved and "too busy" signals should
become rare. LMK if they are not (theres a couple of scheduled
server jobs that raise load whether we like it or not but the
real load problem on the server has been dramatically fixed today)"

Hehe..I hope so. Yesterday, in an hour and a half of viewing, I got the dreaded "Server too busy" message about 10-15 times. (I finally stopped counting!). :D

willie&joe
10-27-2005, 12:07 PM
I'd been getting it a lot lately too. Somedays it was so bad I couldn't read any posts in about an hour of trying. But today I haven't had any troubles. Yaaaay!

Mr. Crimson
12-13-2005, 03:04 AM
I was just wondering if the "the server is to busy" messages I have been getting in the last couple of days are a result of the same problem?

-Lewis